Sheldon will learn quickly no ones bigger than the team

Jetster

Going by your post the Giants should have shipped out LT in 1983 everyone knew he was doing drugs.. The strict Parcells made believe it wasn't true..

I suggest you take a closer look at LT's track record. He has "offenses" throughout his career, and long after he was retired.

I contend that Sheldon's poor decision making will continue and the LT example justifies my stance as reasonable.

Two major differences with LT and SR. First, LT was a generational talent. Sheldon is very good, but not a once in generation player. Argentina and Napoli also put up with Maradona's cocaine habit because he was a generational talent. Second, and more importantly, the NFL's tolerance is far less today than it was 30 years ago. Taylor's career might have ended significantly sooner with today's off the field standard for the Shield under Goodell. Perhaps, Parcells' reaction would have been different in today's NFL.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggest you take a closer look at LT's track record. He has "offenses" throughout his career, and long after he was retired.

I contend that Sheldon's poor decision making will continue and the LT example justifies my stance as reasonable.

Two major differences with LT and SR. First, LT was a generational talent. Sheldon is very good, but not a once in generation player. Argentina and Napoli also put up with Maradona's cocaine habit because he was a generational talent. Second, and more importantly, the NFL's tolerance is far less today than it was 30 years ago. Taylor's career might have ended significantly sooner with today's off the field standard for the Shield under Goodell. Perhaps, Parcells' reaction would have been different in today's NFL.

Plus LT didn't hurt anyone's feelings on twitter since it didn't exist when he played.. :winking0001:

Things I learned in this thread:

Sheldon Richardson is now a bust.  Never mind that he has played at an extremely high level and is just about to serve his first suspension - something fan favorites like Ellis and Jenkins have done.  Calvin Pace is considered a "good mentor" and he served a suspension that had Gholston starting when Rex got here.  I guess that Antonio Gates is a bust too.  That stiff!

Todd Bowles is laying the smack down and will not tolerate this kind of behavior!  I mean he is the "no-nonsense" coach of whom we have all dreamed.  Never mind that the only thing he has said on the matter is : 

Jets coach Todd Bowles called the news of Richardson's ban "disappointing for Sheldon and the team."

"We're going to support Sheldon and welcome him back upon his return," Bowles' statement read. "We will keep moving forward with our preparations for the upcoming season."

I am sure that Bowles is planning to cut Sheldon as a lesson to the others.  

Sheldon Richardson is now a bust.  Never mind that he has played at an extremely high level and is just about to serve his first suspension - something fan favorites like Ellis and Jenkins have done.  Calvin Pace is considered a "good mentor" and he served a suspension that had Gholston starting when Rex got here.  I guess that Antonio Gates is a bust too.  That stiff!

Todd Bowles is laying the smack down and will not tolerate this kind of behavior!  I mean he is the "no-nonsense" coach of whom we have all dreamed.  Never mind that the only thing he has said on the matter is : 

I am sure that Bowles is planning to cut Sheldon as a lesson to the others.  

Boy we sure were lucky we passed on Marino in the draft due to his drug problems.. :winking0001:

Sheldon Richardson is now a bust. Never mind that he has played at an extremely high level and is just about to serve his first suspension - something fan favorites like Ellis and Jenkins have done. Calvin Pace is considered a "good mentor" and he served a suspension that had Gholston starting when Rex got here. I guess that Antonio Gates is a bust too. That stiff!

Todd Bowles is laying the smack down and will not tolerate this kind of behavior! I mean he is the "no-nonsense" coach of whom we have all dreamed. Never mind that the only thing he has said on the matter is :

I am sure that Bowles is planning to cut Sheldon as a lesson to the others.

All that your long post tells me is that Bowles should be fired!!!!

Anybody suggesting to trade the guy or cut him is being ridiculous, he is dominant and probably the second best player on the team (Revis is still a more impactful player) and not yet in his prime.

With that said, there has to be reason for concern...If, as many have stated that this isn't actually his first failure (anyone know the reality to this?) he is showing a serious level of stupidity and that is worrisome...

But the Jets have a history of trading away their dominant players - let's not continue to make those mistakes - help the kid and keep him on the team.

Sheldon Richardson is now a bust. Never mind that he has played at an extremely high level and is just about to serve his first suspension - something fan favorites like Ellis and Jenkins have done. Calvin Pace is considered a "good mentor" and he served a suspension that had Gholston starting when Rex got here. I guess that Antonio Gates is a bust too. That stiff!

Todd Bowles is laying the smack down and will not tolerate this kind of behavior! I mean he is the "no-nonsense" coach of whom we have all dreamed. Never mind that the only thing he has said on the matter is :

I am sure that Bowles is planning to cut Sheldon as a lesson to the others.

Shaun Ellis is a poor comparison. He was suspended prior to his 10th year in the league. A Shaun Ellis trade wouldnt make much sense for the Jets or any other team considering he was a 9 year vet. Ellis only had a few years left anyway. Richardson on the other hand, theoretically anyway, should have many years ahead of him and some other team might decide he is worth the risk. No matter what any of you think, it would be naive to think thst the Jets brass haven't at least had preliminary discussions regarding the idea of moving Richardson.

Bowles appears to be a no-nonsense coach. This definitely qualifies as a total lack of sense demonstrated by SR.

Shaun Ellis is a poor comparison. He was suspended prior to his 10th year in the league. A Shaun Ellis trade wouldnt make much sense for the Jets or any other team considering he was a 9 year vet. Ellis only had a few years left anyway. Richardson on the other hand, theoretically anyway, should have many years ahead of him and some other team might decide he is worth the risk. No matter what any of you think, it would be naive to think thst the Jets brass haven't at least had preliminary discussions regarding the idea of moving Richardson.

Bowles appears to be a no-nonsense coach. This definitely qualifies as a total lack of sense demonstrated by SR.

Poor comparison for what?  Your rabid desire to trade the guy has nothing to do with my post or point.  Somebody claimed he is a now a "bust"  I was just pointing out others that were suspended and were not considered busts - Ellis, Jenkins and Ferguson (Jason) from the Jets.  Gates this year for the Chargers.  I have news for you guys, Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson could never play another down in the NFL and they still wouldn't be busts.

Can someone tell me what Sheldon said on his twitter that supposedly pissed off Jet fans?

It really doesn't matter does it.

Any fan who decides to get rid of a top flight player because of something silly that is said on Twitter cant be serious.

This was a bad year for Sheldon Richardson to shoot himself in the foot. For the entire offseason the talk has been, how long can the Jets keep 4 first rounders together on the Dline?

Enter Todd Bowles. No one did more with less than Bowles in Arizona last year. Even after being decimated with injuries that defense fought every game all season long.

Enter Leonard "Big Cat" Williams the consensus "best player in the draft". This is still one of the deepest Dlines in the league & with the addition of Revis plus all of the other free agents picked up to strengthen the secondary I expect the Jets to be one of the stingiest teams in the league in points allowed.

Sheldon will learn very quickly that on THIS TEAM his absence won't be missed compared to other teams who lack Dline depth.

He'll get to watch from home & realize very quickly that Mo Wilkerson is getting paid and that he himself will end up going to the highest bidder in the offseason with a contract in hand filled with clauses to protect the team from a potential future 10 game suspension.

Sheldon....we hardly even knew ya, but what we did know after all of your comments this offseason is that if we took your brain & put it on the edge of a razor blade it would look like a BB on a four lane highway.

Please tape a picture of a fist to the wall and run into it as fast as you can. 

Seriously with this nonsense?

He's the 2nd most gifted athlete on the team. He ain't ******* going anywhere and he's only suspended for four games. 

This has nothing to do with twittering. It does have something to due with attitude. This is about an immature, stupid kid that failed not one... not two... maybe three...but probably four drug tests, knowing full well the consequences of his actions after each offense. He apparently did not care. This all but guarantees he will "not care" again at some point when he is being tested up to 10 times per month in the foreseeable future.

He is headed down the Josh Gordon path. Let him convince some other team that these MULTIPLE "lapses in judgement" are behind him.

Cut your losses and trade him.

Now Idziot doesn't even have a single quality player to hang his hat on with 19 picks in two years.

Not to mention you have an entire new coaching staff and management coming in. You would think a guy would want to make a good impression.  That is part of the issue I have; the sheer lack of responsibility and utter disregard for his teammates.  I can only hope that he can learn from this and grow as a man; but I wouldn't bet money on it.  

Apparently not. I guess the 38 years I've devoted to losing sleep over this team's sh*tty performance don't mean a ******* thing because I didn't overreact to something a 21-year-old posted on twitter. 

^

Does not own a PSL.

Not to mention you have an entire new coaching staff and management coming in. You would think a guy would want to make a good impression.  That is part of the issue I have; the sheer lack of responsibility and utter disregard for his teammates.  I can only hope that he can learn from this and grow as a man; but I wouldn't bet money on it.  

Yes.  A real player would have waited to do this until after he met his new coaching staff.

Please tape a picture of a fist to the wall and run into it as fast as you can. 

Seriously with this nonsense?

He's the 2nd most gifted athlete on the team. He ain't ******* going anywhere and he's only suspended for four games. 

And when he flunks his next piss test maybe we'll get a 4th rounder for him.

Without turning it into a political thread he made a derogatory comment about the cop who shot the kid in Ferguson.

That's not political as much as it is a Al Sharpton hands up don't shoot crap that a lot of Pro athletes support that never happened..

Basically what I can gather is that people who want Sheldon off the team are still bitter about his twittering and don't like his attitude, not because of the weed.  You don't get rid of the best players on your team, because a 22 year old hurt your feelings on social media.  

I think you're missing the point.  I for one only want him traded next offseason if he comes back strong and LW plays well.  Has nothing to do with twitter as I don't even remember what he said.

There's no way the Jets are going to commit multiple 13-15 Mil per year contracts to the DL so they have to decide which 2 of the 3 they're going to keep.  I'd rather they fetch a kings ransom in a trade and still have one of the best D lines in football, rather than have an all world DL for 1 or 2 years then watch Sheldon walk for nothing.  He's not giving the team a discount and I don't think anyone wants another Revis-like negotiation.

Now if Sheldon had Mo's personality then there's no choice...  you trade Wilkerson next offseason and keep Sheldon.  But he doesn't...  and if we get Josh Gordon'd everyone will rue the day they signed him to a mega contract.

Being proactive and making a big trade would eliminate the chance we have the same thing that happened to Lions, Panthers, and Texans fans who watched Suh, Peppers, and Williams walk while getting nothing in return.

Basically what I can gather is that people who want Sheldon off the team are still bitter about his twittering and don't like his attitude, not because of the weed.  You don't get rid of the best players on your team, because a 22 year old hurt your feelings on social media.  

Nobody wants a cancer in the locker room even if he is the best player on the team (I'm not saying he is) 

Nobody wants a cancer in the locker room even if he is the best player on the team (I'm not saying he is) 

Lol so now he's a cancer? Get outta here. Santonio was a cancer. Guys like Sheldon who are chasing 190 lb players 80 yards downfield in an abortion of a season are not team cancers. 

I think you're missing the point.  I for one only want him traded next offseason if he comes back strong and LW plays well.  Has nothing to do with twitter as I don't even remember what he said.

There's no way the Jets are going to commit multiple 13-15 Mil per year contracts to the DL so they have to decide which 2 of the 3 they're going to keep.  I'd rather they fetch a kings ransom in a trade and still have one of the best D lines in football, rather than have an all world DL for 1 or 2 years then watch Sheldon walk for nothing.  He's not giving the team a discount and I don't think anyone wants another Revis-like negotiation.

Now if Sheldon had Mo's personality then there's no choice...  you trade Wilkerson next offseason and keep Sheldon.  But he doesn't...  and if we get Josh Gordon'd everyone will rue the day they signed him to a mega contract.

Being proactive and making a big trade would eliminate the chance we have the same thing that happened to Lions, Panthers, and Texans fans who watched Suh, Peppers, and Williams walk while getting nothing in return.

Not missing the point. The working assumption in this thread has been that his value has been punted, how will you ever recoup value, let alone a king's ransom for a player that has lost value?  For what it's worth, I love Mo, love that he's a hometown kid, but Sheldon seems to have the higher upside. If you're gonna trade anyone I would imagine now it's the cleaner Mo. 

Not missing the point. The working assumption in this thread has been that his value has been punted, how will you ever recoup value, let alone a king's ransom for a player that has lost value?  For what it's worth, I love Mo, love that he's a hometown kid, but Sheldon seems to have the higher upside. If you're gonna trade anyone I would imagine now it's the cleaner Mo.

He said next off season. The assumption being Richardson will comeback and reestablish his value by playing lights out for the remainder of the season.

Archived