NFL Drug Policy facts

faba

he NFL and NFLPA passed a new drug policy earlier this week, but it was not until Friday afternoon, after the release of joint statement between the league and its players union, that we saw the details of the new agreement. Listed below are the highlights of the policy:

HGH testing: This derisive issue has long been reported as the primary holdup between getting a new policy hammered out. The joint statement claims testing will begin by the end of September.

Appeals: One of the key issues for the players focused on who would hear appeals for policy violations. Uncomfortable with the commissioner serving as judge, jury and executioner, the players pushed through an amendment that requires third-party arbitrators for all appeals. The appeal process has also been retooled to work faster and under more standardized rules.

DUI discipline: The league is becoming stricter on this topic. Where previous first-time offenders were generally let off without a suspension, the new policy calls for a two-game ban for a first violation. Second violation will draw an eight-game suspension. Aggravating circumstances can lengthen the suspension in either case.

PED discipline: First-time offenders can be suspended four games for using a banned substance (including HGH). Any attempt to cover up results of a test (a masking agent, for instance) gets a six-game ban.

Marijuana threshold: The NFL is ramping down it's stance on marijuana use. The threshold for a positive test has been increased from 15 ng/ml to 35 ng/ml.

Marijuana discipline: The punishment for a positive test is also changing. As is the case now, a first-time offense lands the player in the substance abuse program without a suspension. The primary difference is the punishment for a second positive test: simply a two-game fine. Each additional violation receives the following progressive discipline: four-game fine, four-game suspension, 10-game suspension. A player can therefore test positive for marijuana three times without getting suspended.

I don't care about Sheldon and his weed, he's a dumbass kid who lost himself some money and hurt his team(mates). My biggest problem is with the NFL: either you care about marijuana or you don't. First few times it's a relatively benign penalty, but then you start suspending them four games and upwards of ten games? For weed? They f*cking suspended Rice two games for knocking out his fiance. How do you work the math that three times smoking weed is a few fines, but those two additional times smoking is 10 games?  When a conservative estimate of 30%+ of your players smoke weed and you only suspend a handful, it's a broken system. Again, he's stupid for chancing it, but the bigger picture is the NFL's policy is f*cked. 

Makes me wonder if it was not weed. I would think if he failed three prior tests it would have leaked out. I bet is was coke or something like that. Only one I have seen that said it was weed was nydn and I don't trust anything they print.

ya, I find it odd that Richardson failed 3 drug test and nobody heard so much as a peep

Makes me wonder if it was not weed. I would think if he failed three prior tests it would have leaked out. I bet is was coke or something like that. Only one I have seen that said it was weed was nydn and I don't trust anything they print.

I'm willing to bet it's only weed.  Herion and cocaine leave your system after just 2-3 days, whereas marijuana stays in your system for almost 2 weeks, more if used multiple times, since it's fat soluble.  Most employers in America use a system that is the most punishing for those who use the most harmless drug. It makes no sense.

ya, I find it odd that Richardson failed 3 drug test and nobody heard so much as a peep

this sort of stuff happens all the time, the league just doesn't leak it until there's a suspension.

The bottom line is Richardson is from a culture where marijuana is treated like alcohol, and from his standpoint, he was willing to take the risk versus the benefits it provided him.  Yes it sucks, yes it's a bad policy, and yes, money-wise, it's a terrible decision by Sheldon.  He's now at the point where he must re-evaluate his priorities because unfortunately the NFL won't change this stupid policy and he risks becoming the next Josh Gordon if he doesn't stop.  It's sad we live in a world so hateful towards a "drug" that has never killed anyone and helps a lot of people deal with their issues, whether it be pain or stress.

A few of the beat reporters all seem to think it was weed. Personally i have no idea, whatever it was it was stupid for Sheldon to do.

this sort of stuff happens all the time, the league just doesn't leak it until there's a suspension.

The bottom line is Richardson is from a culture where marijuana is treated like alcohol, and from his standpoint, he was willing to take the risk versus the benefits it provided him.  Yes it sucks, yes it's a bad policy, and yes, money-wise, it's a terrible decision by Sheldon.  He's now at the point where he must re-evaluate his priorities because unfortunately the NFL won't change this stupid policy and he risks becoming the next Josh Gordon if he doesn't stop.  It's sad we live in a world so hateful towards a "drug" that has never killed anyone and helps a lot of people deal with their issues, whether it be pain or stress.

I can agree with this

I really believe this changes the Jets tac, Sheldon is now a huge risk, I can see them extending Mo and trading Richardson in the off season.

If anyone would even take him for the right price. He is easily worth a 1st rounder and then some. That's elite 24 year old talent. You dont just find players of that caliber available at that age commonly. But on the other hand he is a risk so it's going to be real iffy trying to sell him for a good price. He also has a contract coming up so that adds to the weight.

I really believe this changes the Jets tac, Sheldon is now a huge risk, I can see them extending Mo and trading Richardson in the off season.

He's not a risk he's an imminent threat to do this again.

Sheldon does not give a f. Pot is more important to him than $, career etc. and it does not matter who the coach is.

I don't care about Sheldon and his weed, he's a dumbass kid who lost himself some money and hurt his team(mates). My biggest problem is with the NFL: either you care about marijuana or you don't. First few times it's a relatively benign penalty, but then you start suspending them four games and upwards of ten games? For weed? They f*cking suspended Rice two games for knocking out his fiance. How do you work the math that three times smoking weed is a few fines, but those two additional times smoking is 10 games?  When a conservative estimate of 30%+ of your players smoke weed and you only suspend a handful, it's a broken system. Again, he's stupid for chancing it, but the bigger picture is the NFL's policy is f*cked. 

That is a good point, if im not mistaken though after the media tore the NFL apart for that Rice got suspended indefinitely which got overturned after 1 full season (now he cant find employment)

I think as a GM you have to sign MO. Sheldon is a risk, I would hate to lose him but if we can get a mid to high 1st round pick we have to do it. He just seems like a problem child wuth his big mouth and now all this crap. Hopefully he comes back after his suspension and plays lights out so we can trade him. The problem with trading him other teams are going to see him as a risk also. Hopefully LW lives up to his hype. Its a shame because I really liked SR.

I think as a GM you have to sign MO. Sheldon is a risk, I would hate to lose him but if we can get a mid to high 1st round pick we have to do it. He just seems like a problem child wuth his big mouth and now all this crap. Hopefully he comes back after his suspension and plays lights out so we can trade him. The problem with trading him other teams are going to see him as a risk also. Hopefully LW lives up to his hype. Its a shame because I really liked SR.

Took the words out of my mouth. He is an imminent threat and we all know it. If its it next season or 8 seasons down the road. He will repeat. You can tell by his personality.

I think the purpose of the weed policy is to give them a chance to stop without getting hammered.  These kids have been smoking their whole careers, despite the testing.  I think the league would rather have a zero tolerance policy, but doesn't want to lose so many games.  Lots of people think they can beat the tests, (they certainly beat them on juice) so this gives them a chance to see if they can or can't before they start losing checks and games. 

I'm interested in the HGH testing.  Didn't that require blood tests?  I think it used to and I can't see the union going for that.

I don't seem to remember fans wanting to trade Shaun Ellis after his weed bust??

I don't seem to remember fans wanting to trade Shaun Ellis after his weed bust??

The Jets didn't have a deep & young defensive line either I don't believe back then. Thank god Wiiliams fell to us, if not losing Sheldon would have been a bigger deal.

Jets have an embarrassment of riches on the Dline, kind of reminds me of how the Steelers were always stacked at LB.

Jets hold ALL THE CARDS now.

Sheldons agent just slinked back into the hole he crawled out of.

Archived