WR dept. ~ ~ ~

kelly

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 14: Jeremy Kerley

Last year’s ranking: 10

Position: Wide receiver

How acquired: Selected in the fifth round of the 2011 Draft

Years left on contract: 4

2015 Salary Cap figure: $2.6 million

Looking back at 2014 : Kerley had a bit of a down year for the Jets last season. It may have just been a correction of sorts because he had been too big a part of the offense in 2012 and 2013 when there were no other weapons and he was the team’s leading receiver.With the addition of Eric Decker, Kerley’s role decreased. He finished with 38 catches for 409 yards and just one touchdown, all his lowest totals since his rookie season. He also returned 25 punts for 199 yards.Pro Football Focus’ metrics are not very kind to Kerley. The website has him ranked 76th out of 110 receivers. He did not get a positive grade in any game and had four negative grades. According to the site, he caught just 59.4 percent of the passes thrown his way with three drops.Jets quarterbacks had a 70.4 quarterback rating when throwing to Kerley, putting him 81 out of 90 receivers with at least 25 percent of his team’s targets, according to PFF.The website has a measure for “slot performance,” the position Kerley mostly occupies. He ranked 35th out of 50.Kerley also was the victim of some bad luck. I can think of at least one touchdown he caught that was called back because of a penalty. He also caught a huge touchdown pass against the Packers only to see it waved off because of the infamous timeout gaffe on the sideline by Sheldon Richardson.

Outlook for 2015 : Kerley’s role is going to be interesting to watch. The previous regime liked Kerley enough to give him a four-year contract extension last fall, one of the few times former GM John Idzik ever spent money before he had to.The Jets added Brandon Marshall and Devin Smith at the position this offseason. What will this mean for Kerley? Probably even fewer catches than he had last season. He remains the best slot receiver the team has, but you have to think Chan Gailey is working on ways to get Smith, the team’s second-round pick, on the field. That probably means Kerley will see his playing time cut because Marshall and Decker are not coming off the field.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/09/being-jets-best-slot-receiver-doesnt-guarantee-jeremy-kerley-much/

Archived