SI's Best NFL Players by Number

peekskill68

Sports Illustrated has this thing going where they're picking the best players in the Super Bowl Era by uniform number.  I try not to be a homer on this stuff (like I was ok with them picking Barry Sanders over Kyle Wilson) but was surprised that they picked Champ Bailey for #24 and didn't even mention Revis.  I was wondering what fellow posters thought of this.  Both are/were great and both are ultimately HOF talented.  I have to be honest I didn't see that many of Bailey's games and when I did they were in Denver when he was on the tail end. But I think taking both in their primes that Revis might be better because of the way he alters game plans.  I suspect his stats aren't as good simply because he hasn't been thrown at as much.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/07/nfl-best-players-by-uniform-number-00-49

Champ-Bailey-24.jpg
    CB, Redskins/Broncos
    There are a handful of Hall of Famers who wore No. 24—Willie Brown, Willie Wood, Lenny Moore. A 12-time Pro Bowler, Bailey will join them eventually, though he's not eligible until 2019. His 10-interception season in 2006 was downright stunning.
  •  

The ****? In what universe is Bailey better than Revis? I guarantee you 32 NFL GM's right now would take Revis over Bailey in a heartbeat. Even if this were based on career production, Revis is younger and has better year-over-year numbers, on top of winning a SB. 

This is ridiculous. Absolutely ******* ridiculous!!!!

The ****? In what universe is Bailey better than Revis? I guarantee you 32 NFL GM's right now would take Revis over Bailey in a heartbeat. Even if this were based on career production, Revis is younger and has better year-over-year numbers, on top of winning a SB.

This is ridiculous. Absolutely ******* ridiculous!!!!

Champ Baily was an awesome player. He's a sure fire HOFer. There's nothing ridiculous about it.

One Jet made the cut...

larry-grantham-60.jpg
LARRY GRANTHAM
LB, Jets
Of course Chuck Bednarik would be our No. 60 if we were going past the Super Bowl era, but Grantham is no slouch, either. He's one of a handful of players who played through the entire 10-year history of the American Football League, earning selection to five Pro Bowls and five All-Pro teams. Grantham had five interceptions in two different seasons and was a key cog on the 1968 Jets defense that shocked the world in Super Bowl III.

HE'S NOT AS GOOD AS REVIS THOUGH!!!!!

Go to Pro football reference. His career numbers compare to Ronnie freaking Lott's. He was an awesome player, not just good. Do you remember watching him play at all?

Revis better than Bailey. and it's not even close.

That's totally your right to thhik that. I'm not sure who's better, Revis is still in the middle of his career.

I find the dismissal of Bailey's career to be annoying though.

That's totally your right to thhik that. I'm not sure who's better, Revis is still in the middle of his career.

I find the dismissal of Bailey's career to be annoying though.

Who's dismissing his career?  He was very, very good.  Revis is probably the Best Ever.

Is there a person on earth that would prefer Lorenzo Neal to Matt Snell? Is it because the bulk of his time was pre-"super-bowl era"?

Lynch over Mel Blount? 

Number 32 Marcus Allen over Jim Brown?? A kid must have made this list up..LOL

Number 32 Marcus Allen over Jim Brown?? A kid must have made this list up..LOL

Super Bowl era.  Brown was retired before Super Bowl I.  As it says above, that is how Grantham gets it over Concrete Charlie. OJ was way better than Allen, but I guess he got the murderer discount.

There are a bunch of guys who played for the Jets but weren't "Jets"  For instance #27 Steve Atwater and #4 Brett Favre, that horny hayseed.

all I know is: Revis in his prime > Bailey in his prime

At covering a receiver, absolutely.  All around, I disagree.  Bailey was a solid blitzer, and he was also a ball hawk.  He was a master at giving the QB a false look and baiting the throw to him.  Revis blankets his receiver and never lets him even look remotely open.  He is the best at that, but that's all he does. 

At covering a receiver, absolutely. All around, I disagree. Bailey was a solid blitzer, and he was also a ball hawk. He was a master at giving the QB a false look and baiting the throw to him. Revis blankets his receiver and never lets him even look remotely open. He is the best at that, but that's all he does.

Why would you Blitz Revis, and covering the receiver IS what's it's all about. Revis in his 9th season, still playing at the most Elite level.

Last five years of Baileys career, he's lived on past reputation, a shadow. Revis is the all time best.

Darrelle Revis is the best CB of all time.  I don't question it.  I said it when he was on the Bucanneers and on the Patriots.

Champ Bailey got schooled by Chad Johnson when both were in their prime.  Johnson had a streak of 1-2 years where he was almost unstoppable - he destroyed Champ in a Primetime game.  That simply doesn't happen and has never happened to Revis and he has done it against players of that caliber and better (Calvin Johnson being the current generational player).

I take Revis over Bailey, and yes definitely over Deon for his better coverage and 100 times better run defending and toughness, above Darrell Green.

A large part of me doesn't like Darrell Revis because he doesn't give a crap about Jets fans (as he shouldn't existentially speaking) but I respect the hell out of his talent and skill.  He is literally the GOAT.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4463252

---------------------

Ochocinco has embarrassed Bailey before, though.

Although he was held to three catches for 32 yards the last time these teams faced each other, in 2006, Cincinnati's superstar got the better of Bailey in a game in 2004 -- when he was still known as Chad Johnson and caught seven passes for 149 yards and a score.

"The funny thing is it wasn't a bad game, it was a couple bad plays," Bailey said. "It was like maybe two or three plays that I wish I could take out and then I had a pretty good game, because I know I had a pick in that game, and I never lost my confidence over that.

"I just know when you play a player like that and a quarterback like [Carson Palmer], you've got to be on top of your game every single play. You know, I slipped up a few times."

The Bengals are expecting Bailey to match up with Ochocinco on Sunday no matter where he lines up.

-----------------------

How many times has something like that happened to Revis - never.  He has never been abused like that.

Why would you Blitz Revis, and covering the receiver IS what's it's all about. Revis in his 9th season, still playing at the most Elite level.

Last five years of Baileys career, he's lived on past reputation, a shadow. Revis is the all time best.

I'm not saying you should blitz Revis, and I am agreeing Revis is the best overall CB at covering a receiver.  He blankets his guy from the moment he is off the line and never lets him free.  He takes away the best option at receiver completely.  Champ Bailey was very good at it as well, but not as good as Revis.  What Bailey was better at was giving a QB a false look as if the receiver was open and then creating a turnover.  Revis doesn't create turnovers his way because his receiver is always covered.  A QB looks Revis' way and there's nothing to even think about, the guy is covered he doesn't throw there.  Bailey was better at creating turnovers and making big plays.  If you blended Darrell Revis with Rod Woodson you'd get Champ Bailey.  Not quite as good as Woodson creating turnovers and blitzing the QB, but still great.  Not quite as good as Revis at blanketing a receiver, but still great.  As for Bailey's last 5 years, Revis hasn't gotten to his last 5 yet so we have no idea what he's going to look like yet.  Revis is not as good today as he was in his prime pre-injury, so it's safe to say there will be decline, just like Bailey and pretty much every other player in the NFL. 

Bailey is a HOF CB.  Revis will be as well when all is said and done, and he'll likely be unquestionably the best CB to wear #24 ever, but right now as of today Bailey has the career and pedigree to bear that title. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4463252

---------------------

Ochocinco has embarrassed Bailey before, though.

Although he was held to three catches for 32 yards the last time these teams faced each other, in 2006, Cincinnati's superstar got the better of Bailey in a game in 2004 -- when he was still known as Chad Johnson and caught seven passes for 149 yards and a score.

"The funny thing is it wasn't a bad game, it was a couple bad plays," Bailey said. "It was like maybe two or three plays that I wish I could take out and then I had a pretty good game, because I know I had a pick in that game, and I never lost my confidence over that.

"I just know when you play a player like that and a quarterback like [Carson Palmer], you've got to be on top of your game every single play. You know, I slipped up a few times."

The Bengals are expecting Bailey to match up with Ochocinco on Sunday no matter where he lines up.

-----------------------

How many times has something like that happened to Revis - never.  He has never been abused like that.

We're seriously going to nit pick and choose bad games here or there over a 14 year career!?  Because I have a very vivid clear memory of Randy Moss running right at me sitting in the end zone catching an 80 yard bomb with Revis trailing 5 yards behind him.  The ridiculousness of me even trying to use this example as a point is as ridiculous as yours. 

I'm not saying Revis is a better choice than Bailey, but I'm sure Revis is as good a blitzer.  Revis doesn't bait guys as much because he can't because he generally has less safety help.  He'd be a great punt returner too, but nobody wants to risk him. 

I'm sure Ty Law thinks he got jobbed.

Archived