Mr. Robot on USA Network (SPOILERS)

Morrissey

Liked it in the first 2 episodes.  Felt like the end of ep 2 and all of ep 3 took a major nosedive.  I don't want to give spoilers without the heading saying so, but some of that stuff was idiotically stupid. 

I really enjoyed episode 3, I saw the "plot twist" coming so I wasn't surprised by it and it's similar to a cult film favorite, which is okay, but that's just one part of a larger story, after all it was revealed episode 3. I think it's got incredible promise, but the story could easily be botched. I really enjoy how we are seeing the story from Elliots view point. That's unique for TV.

OK, now that spoilers are warned, here's where I have an issue.

Elliot obviously knew the CTO of E Corp didn't hack them.  He also realized very quickly that when he was hacking Tyrell the info was so pristine that he was likely being baited to hack him.  So in other plain basic terms he knows darn well seeing does not necessarily mean believing.  

Sooooo, why in the world would he so blindly trust a news report that the CTO was behind his father's death so as to join the doosh that put him in the hospital throwing him off a railing, KNOWING full well said doosh could have easily planted that information.  COMMMMONNNN!!!!!!

OK, now that spoilers are warned, here's where I have an issue.

Elliot obviously knew the CTO of E Corp didn't hack them.  He also realized very quickly that when he was hacking Tyrell the info was so pristine that he was likely being baited to hack him.  So in other plain basic terms he knows darn well seeing does not necessarily mean believing.  

Sooooo, why in the world would he so blindly trust a news report that the CTO was behind his father's death so as to join the doosh that put him in the hospital throwing him off a railing, KNOWING full well said doosh could have easily planted that information.  COMMMMONNNN!!!!!!

Said doosh (Christian Slater) doesn't actually exist. Didn't catch that? Mr. Robot = Tyler Durden (not me the Fight Club character)

I thought that right off the bat, but then I started to doubt it. Did I miss an obvious giveaway to that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He doesnt interact with anyone else, he goes into Elliots office no one acknodleges him despite him causing a ruckus, goes into that bar with Elliot and bartender doesnt acknowdlege his existence. I noticed it during episode 2, became obvious episode 3. Elliot is fsociety.

• 1 month later...

Probably my new favorite summer show, mainly because it's not nearly as predictable as I thought it was going to be.  Atleast it's not a hacker procedural that I was expecting when I watched the pilot.   As for theories, I'm all confused as to the direction that this goes in.  

Binge watched this weekend and this is without question one of the most original things ever made. Esmail has taken every single rule in the book, burned it, and pissed on the ashes. The voiceover narrative, breaking the fourth wall, blatantly ripping off Guy Ritchie whenever Tyrell is on screen, even using way too much negative space for scenes with Elliot. One episode used the Risky Business music and then the next Elliot is pulling a Luke Skywalker and then the next is riddled with Pulp Fiction references and then the next they're winking to Fight Club using a piano version of The Pixies. Every single camera angle, piece of music, and mode of communication means something. And not even necessarily to the story, sometimes it's just Esmail winking to the audience for slipping in a Stanley Kubrick shot or having FSociety hackers sitting around and making fun of how ******* ridiculous a movie Hackers is.

Just pop culture/scifi/cyberpunk awesomeness. Mr. Robot is what you'd get if Kubrick, William Gibson, and Ernest Cline fought each other in a steel cage match with those hammered baseball bats from Escape from New York. I can't think of any show that was this good and this smart from the first minute of the pilot.

Also worth noting but the song at the end of episode 8 is from an early M83 album and that particular LP is themed around withdrawal and loneliness. I do not think it is a coincidence that it's the track Esmail used to soundtrack Elliot's discovery. The soundtracks for every episode seem to be very deliberate. Very un-Scorcese, as he picks what just sounds good to go with a scene. Esmail handles things a little differently, even if it's a very latent reference, the context of the song has to make sense in the context of the scene, even if it's just an instrumental track. I love that.

OH! And, by the way! Yes, Stargate, Timecop, and Pulp Fiction were all in the theater at the same time in 1994, which is the same year that Super Floppy disks came out, which the camera pans past as Slater is organizing stuff at his desk.

Little sh*t like that man. This is the most Kubrickian sh*t I've seen since Kubrick passed. Every little thing is so meticulously placed.

Probably my new favorite summer show, mainly because it's not nearly as predictable as I thought it was going to be.  Atleast it's not a hacker procedural that I was expecting when I watched the pilot.   As for theories, I'm all confused as to the direction that this goes in.  

Agreed.  You always feel like you know what is going on, but you don't really.  Yet, it doesn't make you feel stupid or like they are tricking you, it is just unpredictable.  It's fun, especially considering how dark it is.

Agreed.  You always feel like you know what is going on, but you don't really.  Yet, it doesn't make you feel stupid or like they are tricking you, it is just unpredictable.  It's fun, especially considering how dark it is.

The whole Tyrell thing threw me off track, especially with his wife.  I was expecting the normal cunning executive goes for top job line, but all the twists and turns that faces makes me wonder where that is going.  

Not reading this thread because I just started my binge-watch last night, but does anyone have a gif of the sequence when Elliot is having an internal rant about how all our heroes are phonies in the series premier while pictures of Lance Armstrong, Bill Cosby, and Tom Brady flash across the screen? Lol. Because I really want that! 

• 1 year later...
On September 6, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Snell41 said:

I'm calling it now, I think Elliot is Tyrell, and the "wife" knows his condition and just plays along when he's running multiple personalities. I also think his whole crew of hackers are figments of his mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eraserhead-David-Lynch-Mind-Blown-Gif.gi

Mind blown, man.  I had not even thought of that.  Wow if you're right.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Just finished second season.  Loved it. So if anyone has finished it please explain WTF was going on.  Haha.  A crazy ride.  

I'm late to the party, too.  Phenomenal show.  Can't wait for tonight's season finale.

25 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Eraserhead-David-Lynch-Mind-Blown-Gif.gi

Mind blown, man.  I had not even thought of that.  Wow if you're right.

I'm late to the party, too.  Phenomenal show.  Can't wait for tonight's season finale.

I actually called that season one after Elliot met her the first time in front of their flat.  Wow wait. Another one tonight?  Yay. I thought it was done. Yay me yay me.

35 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I actually called that season one after Elliot met her the first time in front of their flat.  Wow wait. Another one tonight?  Yay. I thought it was done. Yay me yay me.

Great call, Crusher.  BTW, I made a mistake, thinking today was Wednesday.  The season finale is TOMORROW night.   Sorry about that.

Archived