Comic Books

Jetlife33

I'm interested in starting to read/collect comic books again. I had quite a few(nothing special) but got destroyed in the hurricane and I'd like to start up again. There's a store that I used to go to that I'm going to make a visit to soon. Does anyone know of any series that are out right now that I can subscribe to that are good? I'm more of a DC guy than Marvel but any suggestions I'd appreciate.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When was the last time you were reading new stuff?

DC:

Scott Snyder's run on Batman should be priority. Particularly both Court of Owls arcs and ESPECIALLY Death of the Family, which I think is one of the greatest Joker story arcs ever. Year Zero is superb as well. There's a reason Snyder is king right now.

Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern

Earth 2 - Just awesomeness.

Jeff Lemire's run on Green Arrow

Aquaman - Don't laugh. Geoff Johns basically took the notion that his character has been viewed as a joke and made that the center of the comic. Hilarious and so good.

And I'm not sure how you feel about Wonder Woman, but Brian Azzarello's run has been the t!ts.

Other suggestions:

Mark Waid's run on Daredevil, which probably is a hard second only to Miller's run at this point.

Deadly Class by Ed Brubaker

Trillium - Jeff Lemire (a personal favorite)

Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye - Legit maybe the best thing Marvel has put out this millennium.

John Hickman's East of West

The Wake by Scott Snyder

Saga - Best major new comic of the decade by a country mile.

I'm interested in starting to read/collect comic books again. I had quite a few(nothing special) but got destroyed in the hurricane and I'd like to start up again. There's a store that I used to go to that I'm going to make a visit to soon. Does anyone know of any series that are out right now that I can subscribe to that are good? I'm more of a DC guy than Marvel but any suggestions I'd appreciate.

Are you in Jersey? I've been taking my nephew to Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash. Great shop, especially if you are a Kevin Smith movie fan.

Are you in Jersey? I've been taking my nephew to Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash. Great shop, especially if you are a Kevin Smith movie fan.

Good shop. I appreciate the fact that they haven't jacked their prices through the roof because of their show. I think a lot of that has to do with Walt and Smith being collectors themselves. They also put their own book out which is surprisingly decent called Cryptozoic Man.

DC:

Scott Snyder's run on Batman should be priority. Particularly both Court of Owls arcs and ESPECIALLY Death of the Family, which I think is one of the greatest Joker story arcs ever. Year Zero is superb as well. There's a reason Snyder is king right now.

Aquaman - Don't laugh. Geoff Johns basically took the notion that his character has been viewed as a joke and made that the center of the comic. Hilarious and so good.

And I'm not sure how you feel about Wonder Woman, but Brian Azzarello's run has been the t!ts.

Other suggestions:

Mark Waid's run on Daredevil, which probably is a hard second only to Miller's run at this point.

Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye - Legit maybe the best thing Marvel has put out this millennium.

The Wake by Scott Snyder

The last time I was reading new stuff I was really young, so it's been a while for me. The batman series sounds good to me to start back up again. So how does it work do I get the beginning issue to start? Or do I get the last issued one? Thanks for the input RJF.

I'm in Brooklyn, the place I used to go to and will be visiting again is Pinochio's on mcdonald avenue.

DC:

Other suggestions:

The Wake by Scott Snyder

So which, "Daredevil run," is the Netflix version supposed to be tied more closely to? I have to say I'm now halfway through S1 and I'm still kinda, sorta waiting for it to get to that next level...still a thumbs up but i feel as if it's sorta plodding along...I think I yawned last ep (6)...

So which, "Daredevil run," is the Netflix version supposed to be tied more closely to? I have to say I'm now halfway through S1 and I'm still kinda, sorta waiting for it to get to that next level...still a thumbs up but i feel as if it's sorta plodding along...I think I yawned last ep (6)...

Netflix series is 100% Frank Miller's Man Without Fear. There are a few liberties taken but it's a very faithful adaption.

The last time I was reading new stuff I was really young, so it's been a while for me. The batman series sounds good to me to start back up again. So how does it work do I get the beginning issue to start? Or do I get the last issued one? Thanks for the input RJF.

You are not going to want to pay the cost for the first issue of Snyder's reboot. DC rebooted all their series a half decade ago, so the #1's are all costly. Pretty much all the series I mentioned can be bought in novel format, or on an iPad, and when you catch up you can start buying the monthlies again.

It gets better, that Netflix series was amazing. Watched it twice. Only problem is having to wait for S2.

You are not going to want to pay the cost for the first issue of Snyder's reboot. DC rebooted all their series a half decade ago, so the #1's are all costly. Pretty much all the series I mentioned can be bought in novel format, or on an iPad, and when you catch up you can start buying the monthlies again.

Was there a Batman reboot this past May?

Wait what. Comics that came out five years ago are worth money? How does that happen exactly?

Wait what. Comics that came out five years ago are worth money? How does that happen exactly?

Yeah. Very, very rare for that to happen. There are a few other issues from the past decade that have appreciated that highly but it has happened. I am not so sure how that's going to work going forward, the publishers have caught on so they now issue so many variants with #1's that it makes it much harder than 5 years ago. But you have Saga #1 and a few others. In terms of mass published issues, Snyder's Batman was not only a #1 but it's also already recognized as an all-timer for Bats. So it's a rare exception. A mint copy graded for Snyder's #1 can fetch anywhere from $2-400. Which I would never pay but it's happening and has been for a while. Some of the other #1's also catch a bit of a cost, nothing like Snyder's but still quite a bit for a newer book.

^Also the print runs on some of those issues were absurdly high. The guys who pay that kind of dough right now are going to regret it down the line. The reason that even the mass printed stuff from the 50s-70s is worth so much is because nobody knew comics would be worth anything, so they threw them out or didn't take care of them. Now everyone knows, so they won't be getting rarer over time. It's not like someone in 2030 is going to find a box of rare comics from the 2000s. This is why people who paid a sh*t ton of money for the Death of Superman books are still kicking themselves.

DC:

Other suggestions:

The Wake by Scott Snyder

I love threads like this, and regard you as the expert. Definitely gonna check out a few of these in novel form.

Netflix series is 100% Frank Miller's Man Without Fear. There are a few liberties taken but it's a very faithful adaption.

Addendum: I was a few beers deep last night when I posted this and misspoke. I'd say the Netflix adaption is about 85% Man Without Fear and another 15% of Brian Bendis' work, which is ******* fantastic. If I ever had to recommend a comic to someone that's not crazy about comics, it would probably be Bendis' Daredevil. 

I love threads like this, and regard you as the expert. Definitely gonna check out a few of these in novel form.

Didn't know how far back to go and tried to keep it to the Big 2 per OP's request, but I personally think the best books of the past 10-15 years have been from the third party publishers (even though Vertigo is owned by DC now). I'd also give huge recs for

Y: The Last Man (top five book of the millennium)

Blankets by Craig Thompson

Fables

Sex Criminals

I quit following them in early '80s, but do any of you have some cool older ones to brag about?   

I got Star Wars 1-3 when they were pretty new, but #3 is a reprint.

I think I still have 4-6.  Nowhere nearmint condition.

I am kind of in the same boat.  We watch it and enjoy it, but tend to fall asleep mid-episode.  We watch them super late, so that isn't very surprising.  A lot of mumbling (RJF got super mad that I complained about that in Dredd) and I don't find the guy particularly convincing as a tough guy, but I guess that is the way it is supposed to be.  The fight scenes are great, but a bit too Gymkata for me.  Kind of reminds me of Brick Mansions which had the added joy of way too much slo-mo.  Still really good.  I can imagine we will be pining for season 2 the way these guys do or the way we do for season 2 of Attack on Titan.

Only by the traditional volume format, I believe, but not a total reboot. DC has only totally rebooted things once and that was done with New 52.

So I just left the comic store, I ended up buying Justice League of America's first 2 issues, 2 for me and 2 for my girlfriends little brother. Apparently the first issue came in different covers. One I got is the Joker the other is green lantern. Not sure which one I'll be keeping and which I'll be giving to him. Have you read these RJF? From what I understand they're relatively new and I don't believe the 3rd issue is even out yet.

I quit following them in early '80s, but do any of you have some cool older ones to brag about?   

I have a ton of cool older ones that are probably all in horrific shape now.  Basically a hodge podge of anything you could get from the late 60's-mid 70's.  Avengers, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Spider Man, Fantastic Four, Conan the Barbarian, Rawhide, Archie.  Some weird chick ones like Millie the Model.  They were all my a bunch of my older cousin's and my house was the last repository for them. Most of the best ones were poached long ago, but I know I have an excellent condition Submariner #1 in a freezer bag somewhere. 

A lot. This is one of three highly decorated walls in my office, lot of gems up here.

Also, what is the condition of the Star Wars #1? And look to the upper left corner of the cover. Is it priced at 30 cents or 35 cents?

SsVy1Pq.jpg?1

So I just left the comic store, I ended up buying Justice League of America's first 2 issues, 2 for me and 2 for my girlfriends little brother. Apparently the first issue came in different covers. One I got is the Joker the other is green lantern. Not sure which one I'll be keeping and which I'll be giving to him. Have you read these RJF? From what I understand they're relatively new and I don't believe the 3rd issue is even out yet.

I have not. Truth be told I've been on a bit of a mini-boycott with some of DC's stuff for the past several months because they caved to the PC police and abandoned a really awesome Killing Joke tribute they were going to do.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/mar/17/dc-comics-pull-batgirl-joker-cover-after-protests

I started up with the newer comics in digital form - quite a few good (free) readers out there and the format is actually pretty good.

I love digital. Unfortunately I am cursed with terrible vision, so sometimes I can't scan the artwork as closely as I'd like. I love the formats that Amazon and Comixology have where you can zoom in to each panel. It also helps when you're married and running out of space for all of your books.

A lot. This is one of three highly decorated walls in my office, lot of gems up here.

Also, what is the condition of the Star Wars #1? And look to the upper left corner of the cover. Is it priced at 30 cents or 35 cents?

SsVy1Pq.jpg?1

That's frickin awesome. I'd love to see the other walls if at all possible.

oh yeah I wanted to ask.. Since when are comic books 6 dollars each??

It depends on the issue. I'm pretty sure you bought a variant. For the most part, regular monthlies are still $2-4. BUT, if there's a crossover event or an anniversary...etc, you'll be paying upwards of $5-10. This is why I'd suggest catching up through novels rather than buying back issues. You will pay a LOT less per issue and bonus, you'll have a super cool looking bookshelf.

Any man who complains about Dredd does not deserve a penis.

I think you're being a bit charitable there.

Never got into US comics, it was all about 2000AD and Dredd for me. Have pretty much every 2000AD (which comes out weekly) since 1990, and the Dredd Megazines (monthly) from round then too. Throw in the annuals and specials and best ofs etc, it's a fair bit of stuff.

I've never got any of the modern US Dredd stuff, as the only place that seems to be able to get them is up in Dublin.

I think you're being a bit charitable there.

Never got into US comics, it was all about 2000AD and Dredd for me. Have pretty much every 2000AD (which comes out weekly) since 1990, and the Dredd Megazines (monthly) from round then too. Throw in the annuals and specials and best ofs etc, it's a fair bit of stuff.

I've never got any of the modern US Dredd stuff, as the only place that seems to be able to get them is up in Dublin.

Can't say I blame you dude. If my local shop only carried Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog...etc. I'd be totally cool with that. I think 2000 AD is just as great a universe as anything that DC or Marvel has created. I'd also have America in my top five graphics ever. The opening panel where he's standing in front of the statue is the balls, definitely a personal favorite:

original.jpg

Archived