Comic Books

Jetlife33

It was really neat going back to my childhood shop. Store looked exactly the same. Same lady, I told her how my dad used to take me all the time when I was younger. She's had the shop for 37 years. She, like the store, looked exactly the same. Brought back memories. Glad I went.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am kind of in the same boat.  We watch it and enjoy it, but tend to fall asleep mid-episode.  We watch them super late, so that isn't very surprising.  A lot of mumbling (RJF got super mad that I complained about that in Dredd) and I don't find the guy particularly convincing as a tough guy, but I guess that is the way it is supposed to be.  The fight scenes are great, but a bit too Gymkata for me.  Kind of reminds me of Brick Mansions which had the added joy of way too much slo-mo.  Still really good.  I can imagine we will be pining for season 2 the way these guys do or the way we do for season 2 of Attack on Titan.

attack-on-titan.jpg?w=620

It depends on the issue. I'm pretty sure you bought a variant. For the most part, regular monthlies are still $2-4. BUT, if there's a crossover event or an anniversary...etc, you'll be paying upwards of $5-10. This is why I'd suggest catching up through novels rather than buying back issues. You will pay a LOT less per issue and bonus, you'll have a super cool looking bookshelf.

What are some online comic websites that you can buy comics from? Is mycomicshop.com legit?

What are some online comic websites that you can buy comics from? Is mycomicshop.com legit?

Comixology and Amazon for digital. I think Comixology is the highest grossing app on iTunes or at least close.

Mycomicshop is legit but I do not buy from them for two reasons; you will overpay because they are consignment, and they are absurdly slow with handling. The one time I tried ordering from them it took like 6 business days for them to ship it, had to call a few times and the employees were just jerks. When it comes to buying any books for nostalgia or investment, I go with eBay. Find yourself a no-reserve auction from a seller with a good reputatioin, (sometimes you have to be patient for one to pop up), and you should be able to find what you want for book value or less.

Or hit up a convention. But the days of finding killer deals on high value books at a con are kind of long gone. Cons aren't for comic collectors anymore.

Amazon for graphic novels though, of course. If you are dead set on buying loads of single back issues, again, which you should not do, Midtown or your local shop is probably the best option.

I'm interested in starting to read/collect comic books again. I had quite a few(nothing special) but got destroyed in the hurricane and I'd like to start up again. There's a store that I used to go to that I'm going to make a visit to soon. Does anyone know of any series that are out right now that I can subscribe to that are good? I'm more of a DC guy than Marvel but any suggestions I'd appreciate.

I'd just read back issues from the 80's/early 90's if I was you. That was the real peak of creativity with comics. I'm not impressed with anything from the past 15 years aside from Batman: Hush and some of the MAX Punisher comics.

Civil War was gay

Comixology and Amazon for digital. I think Comixology is the highest grossing app on iTunes or at least close.

Mycomicshop is legit but I do not buy from them for two reasons; you will overpay because they are consignment, and they are absurdly slow with handling. The one time I tried ordering from them it took like 6 business days for them to ship it, had to call a few times and the employees were just jerks. When it comes to buying any books for nostalgia or investment, I go with eBay. Find yourself a no-reserve auction from a seller with a good reputatioin, (sometimes you have to be patient for one to pop up), and you should be able to find what you want for book value or less.

Or hit up a convention. But the days of finding killer deals on high value books at a con are kind of long gone. Cons aren't for comic collectors anymore.

Amazon for graphic novels though, of course. If you are dead set on buying loads of single back issues, again, which you should not do, Midtown or your local shop is probably the best option.

So if I were to buy the first 6 volumes of Batman from the new 52 would it technically be the same as the first 30+ comic books that were released?

So if I were to buy the first 6 volumes of Batman from the new 52 would it technically be the same as the first 30+ comic books that were released?

Correct.

Also, if you enjoy Death of the Family and want to dig deeper into that story, DC consolidated the companion issues into a single volume.

http://www.amazon.com/Joker-Death-Family-New-52/dp/140124646X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436637404&sr=8-1&keywords=death+of+the+family+joker

Read the first 2 issues of JLA that I got. Issue #1 was actually pretty enticing! Issue #2 not so much, it wasn't good. About to order some graphic novels to keep me busy until issue #3 comes out. The Killing Joke 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition is a priority for me. In due time I'd like to buy the one that was published in the 80's.

Correct.

Also, if you enjoy Death of the Family and want to dig deeper into that story, DC consolidated the companion issues into a single volume.

http://www.amazon.com/Joker-Death-Family-New-52/dp/140124646X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436637404&sr=8-1&keywords=death+of+the+family+joker

Thanks, once I get around ordering and reading that run I'll definitely take a look at that.

I have a ton of cool older ones that are probably all in horrific shape now.  Basically a hodge podge of anything you could get from the late 60's-mid 70's.  Avengers, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Spider Man, Fantastic Four, Conan the Barbarian, Rawhide, Archie.  Some weird chick ones like Millie the Model.  They were all my a bunch of my older cousin's and my house was the last repository for them. Most of the best ones were poached long ago, but I know I have an excellent condition Submariner #1 in a freezer bag somewhere. 

Me too.  I used to buy them every week in the summer at our camp in upstate NY.  We only went to the store once a week so I always got one.  I always had money because my skill at mowing grass and chopping wood.  Archie, Superman and Dick Tracy.  Pretty sure they are in my part of the "Old stuff" closet at my mothers.  Along with my commodore 64 computer and crap load of hotwheel and matchbox cars.  Yet, just like any normal kid they are probably three degrees below the lowest grade.  You, know greasy fingers and all.

I have a ton of cool older ones that are probably all in horrific shape now.  Basically a hodge podge of anything you could get from the late 60's-mid 70's.  Avengers, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Spider Man, Fantastic Four, Conan the Barbarian, Rawhide, Archie.  Some weird chick ones like Millie the Model.  They were all my a bunch of my older cousin's and my house was the last repository for them. Most of the best ones were poached long ago, but I know I have an excellent condition Submariner #1 in a freezer bag somewhere. 

You should not be keeping that in a freezer bag. Find that immediately and put it in a mylite with an acid-free board. You are flirting with disaster on that one.

Batman Year One is another I'll be looking at. 

Year One is a classic. Nolan was very faithful to that book in Batman Begins, so there may be a bit of a been there/done that feel to it. Year Two and Year Three are also good treatments. If you'd like some stories on really early Bats, Snyder gets into that around volume 4 or 5 with Zero Year.

Paul Pope (the guy who wrote Battling Boy), also wrote a really awesome futuristic treatment called Batman Year 100.

Me too.  I used to buy them every week in the summer at our camp in upstate NY.  We only went to the store once a week so I always got one.  I always had money because my skill at mowing grass and chopping wood.  Archie, Superman and Dick Tracy.  Pretty sure they are in my part of the "Old stuff" closet at my mothers.  Along with my commodore 64 computer and crap load of hotwheel and matchbox cars.  Yet, just like any normal kid they are probably three degrees below the lowest grade.  You, know greasy fingers and all.

If you're willing to snap a few photos next time you're there, I may be willing to make you an offer on that box. Keep me posted.

That's frickin awesome. I'd love to see the other walls if at all possible.

A few snippets,  I have a decent Hulk v Thing collection and these are the gems, book on the right is the greatest cover ever IMO and a hellava hard to find book:

0dPECOs.jpg?1

And a project my wife helped make. Dr. Doom is my favorite character of anything ever and I threw a few of his best books in with a sketch that she did, along with a frame that came straight out of Latveria. She also did the Batman sketch in the first pic I posted.

nOkmiL7.jpg?1

A lot. This is one of three highly decorated walls in my office, lot of gems up here.

Also, what is the condition of the Star Wars #1? And look to the upper left corner of the cover. Is it priced at 30 cents or 35 cents?SsVy1Pq.jpg?1

I had pretty much all of those Marvel books. That Hulk with the first Wolverine appearance, the entire Secret Wars run, as well as the entire run of the original Ghost Rider. I also had the whole run of Power Man and Iron Fist.

Mom threw them out when I left for college. Took me a long time to forgive that one.

I had pretty much all of those Marvel books. That Hulk with the first Wolverine appearance, the entire Secret Wars run, as well as the entire run of the original Ghost Rider. I also had the whole run of Power Man and Iron Fist.

Mom threw them out when I left for college. Took me a long time to forgive that one.

I get torn with some of them. I have been wanting to step my game up and into the higher tier Silver Age (Amazing Fantasy 15 and FF #5 are priority) and low-mid tier Golden Age books, but that would require some serious cash flow. I bought and sold my way up into my current collection, and it's gained a ton in value over the years. It would be really hard for me to say goodbye, especially considering I'd be sacrificing about 30-40 books for around 5-6.

A few snippets, I have a decent Hulk v Thing collection and these are the gems, book on the right is the greatest cover ever IMO and a hellava hard to find book:

0dPECOs.jpg?1

And a project my wife helped make. Dr. Doom is my favorite character of anything ever and I threw a few of his best books in with a sketch that she did, along with a frame that came straight out of Latveria. She also did the Batman sketch in the first pic I posted.

nOkmiL7.jpg?1

Awesome !!!! That Dr. Doom frame is amazing.

Year One is a classic. Nolan was very faithful to that book in Batman Begins, so there may be a bit of a been there/done that feel to it. Year Two and Year Three are also good treatments. If you'd like some stories on really early Bats, Snyder gets into that around volume 4 or 5 with Zero Year.

Paul Pope (the guy who wrote Battling Boy), also wrote a really awesome futuristic treatment called Batman Year 100.

RJF for The Killing Joke's first print with the lime green writing on the cover how much does it go for in lets say near mint condition?

RJF for The Killing Joke's first print with the lime green writing on the cover how much does it go for in lets say near mint condition?

Depends. That may be a weird one to buy right now. Normally I would say NM+ would be 60-70, and NM- would be 35-45. But DC just announced they're doing an animated version of The Killing Joke yesterday, and with Leto's Joker dropping yesterday as well, the prices of collectible Joker stuff may spike for the next few weeks. Not a certainty, but it does happen.

If you are considering beginning to invest, an Overstreet Price Guide is an absolute must. Under no circumstances begin doing auctions or buying higher value stuff in stores without referencing this and then cross-referencing the book values with current auctions on eBay.

http://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Comic-Book-Price-Guide/dp/1603601589/ref=la_B003VMUBA8_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436743170&sr=1-2

Depends. That may be a weird one to buy right now. Normally I would say NM+ would be 60-70, and NM- would be 35-45. But DC just announced they're doing an animated version of The Killing Joke yesterday, and with Leto's Joker dropping yesterday as well, the prices of collectible Joker stuff may spike for the next few weeks. Not a certainty, but it does happen.

If you are considering beginning to invest, an Overstreet Price Guide is an absolute must. Under no circumstances begin doing auctions or buying higher value stuff in stores without referencing this and then cross-referencing the book values with current auctions on eBay.

http://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Comic-Book-Price-Guide/dp/1603601589/ref=la_B003VMUBA8_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436743170&sr=1-2

Definitely going to look into that book thanks. Does this look right to you? 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009EF0L0Q/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=1-8&qid=1436743934

As long as the seller states that it's a first printing in the description, yes. I would request photos from anyone claiming it to be mint. And to be honest eBay is a better medium for the collecting community.

As long as the seller states that it's a first printing in the description, yes. I would request photos from anyone claiming it to be mint. And to be honest eBay is a better medium for the collecting community.

So I held off on the '88 killing joke until I know more about what I'm doing. I bought the anniversary edition along with the new 52 batman and flash volume 1's, to start. 

So I held off on the '88 killing joke until I know more about what I'm doing. I bought the anniversary edition along with the new 52 batman and flash volume 1's, to start. 

Well, from an investment standpoint, it's not a book I would buy. It was a one-off, it had a high print run, and it's still young. Yes, it's canon, but other stuff determines value and The Killing Joke is one of those books that shops would love to be high priced but it probably won't ever be. Such is the curse of loving DC, the majority of valuable books in their library are Golden and Silver Age books, which are very high end.

That said, here's the deal. If it means something to you, you should buy it. Really. I'm a collector first and an investor second. If you look at the first pic I posted, there are a few books I have on my wall that aren't worth anything, but I love them. I have a Saga of Swamp Thing #21 next to an Incredible Hulk 181, that's a $15 book next to a $600 book. But I consider that Swamp Thing to be the most well-written single issue of anything ever, and it blows my mind every time I read it, so it belongs front and center on any display I have because I like it. And truth be told, it's too much to type as to why, but it's the best discussion piece I have.

Well, from an investment standpoint, it's not a book I would buy. It was a one-off, it had a high print run, and it's still young. Yes, it's canon, but other stuff determines value and The Killing Joke is one of those books that shops would love to be high priced but it probably won't ever be. Such is the curse of loving DC, the majority of valuable books in their library are Golden and Silver Age books, which are very high end.

That said, here's the deal. If it means something to you, you should buy it. Really. I'm a collector first and an investor second. If you look at the first pic I posted, there are a few books I have on my wall that aren't worth anything, but I love them. I have a Saga of Swamp Thing #21 next to an Incredible Hulk 181, that's a $15 book next to a $600 book. But I consider that Swamp Thing to be the most well-written single issue of anything ever, and it blows my mind every time I read it, so it belongs front and center on any display I have because I like it. And truth be told, it's too much to type as to why, but it's the best discussion piece I have.

The Killing Joke is something I read a while back and remember loving it so much, I don't have it anymore and just to get a printed copy of it that I can read again and store on my bookshelf means something to me. I'd like to get the '88 1st printed version but like I said I'm going to look more into it first. At this point it'll be difficult for me to buy things with the intent on investment, I'm a little behind. And hey I think that's awesome you have something that has that much less value on your wall, if you like it that's all that matters in the end.

You should not be keeping that in a freezer bag. Find that immediately and put it in a mylite with an acid-free board. You are flirting with disaster on that one.

Haha.  It's probably beyond disaster now.  That might be the only one with a chance. They are on Long Island and it's pretty damp.  I have to check them out.  People would tie them off in bundles, so most are messed up pretty good.  It's probably one of those things where you look at the values of the comics in mint condition and they are worth thousands and thousands total, but in current condition maybe somebody will give you $5-10 for the lot. 

Haha. It's probably beyond disaster now. That might be the only one with a chance. They are on Long Island and it's pretty damp. I have to check them out. People would tie them off in bundles, so most are messed up pretty good. It's probably one of those things where you look at the values of the comics in mint condition and they are worth thousands and thousands total, but in current condition maybe somebody will give you $5-10 for the lot.

No worries. I think a SM #1, even near mint only goes for about a grand because it's not a first appearance (his was in Fantastic Four). At best you're losing out on a sale that could fund a vacation or something. That said I'm always on the prowl for reader's copies of Silver age stuff. If you do come across it and want to sell it let me know.

A few snippets,  I have a decent Hulk v Thing collection and these are the gems, book on the right is the greatest cover ever IMO and a hellava hard to find book:

0dPECOs.jpg?1

nOkmiL7.jpg?1

I saw one of those Hulk Vs. Thing books at an auction a couple months back. It was in okay but not great shape and the only gem in a pile of cruddy and relatively worthless books from around the same time frame. I'm not really into comics, but I wanted it because the cover looked cool. I think I dropped out when the bidding got into the 30-40 dollar range for the stack. I don't remember what it ended up selling for but it was more than it was worth. 

While I'm thinking about it, I should get your opinion since you and the other guys in this thread know a lot more than I do. I go to auctions and estate sales just about every weekend and come across comic books fairly often. Most of them date from the 90s and early 2000s and are generally run-of-the-mill printings. I know most of the regular books from those years aren't worth dick, but are there any exceptions I should keep an eye out for if I'm looking to make a profit? I've done okay on some Walking Dead stuff, Cherry Poptart and a couple of Ninja Turtles books here and there, but I don't really know if there's anything else that has appreciated in value from that era that I should be looking for.  

I saw one of those Hulk Vs. Thing books at an auction a couple months back. It was in okay but not great shape and the only gem in a pile of cruddy and relatively worthless books from around the same time frame. I'm not really into comics, but I wanted it because the cover looked cool. I think I dropped out when the bidding got into the 30-40 dollar range for the stack. I don't remember what it ended up selling for but it was more than it was worth. 

While I'm thinking about it, I should get your opinion since you and the other guys in this thread know a lot more than I do. I go to auctions and estate sales just about every weekend and come across comic books fairly often. Most of them date from the 90s and early 2000s and are generally run-of-the-mill printings. I know most of the regular books from those years aren't worth dick, but are there any exceptions I should keep an eye out for if I'm looking to make a profit? I've done okay on some Walking Dead stuff, Cherry Poptart and a couple of Ninja Turtles books here and there, but I don't really know if there's anything else that has appreciated in value from that era that I should be looking for.  

For the most part, no. The 1990s and 2000s have not produced a lot in terms of the high value stuff. I buy and sell a lot, and it's always heartbreaking when I have to tell a guy my age looking to sell his books that his entire collection from the 90s, (which was an amazing era and produced so many great stories), isn't worth anything. And it probably won't be even if you hold onto it for another 10-20 years too. There are a few exceptions:

- Very high value stuff (over a g) if near mint.

Walking Dead #1

Bone #1

Chew #1

- Under a grand but good investments

Spiderman 298-300 - Venom trilogy

New Mutants 87 - First Cable

New Mutants 98 - First Deadpool. The best book from the 90s you can buy right now in terms of cost to appreciation ratio, IMO. It's a lock to appreciate as time passes, and you can still nab ungraded mint copies for a few hundred bucks.

X-Factor #6

Preacher #1

Evil Ernie #1

Iron Man 281 (first War Machine)

I'm probably forgetting a few. Some will tell you that Spawn #1 is worth something, don't listen to them.

I got queasy reading this.

I just recently "found" my comics, which had all been put in archival storage in my parents house before I left for college, in my closet, then duct taped close and marked as my "collectibles". For a few years I've been trying to find them... in their house, my mother moved them into a rubbermaid bin with a bunch of other sh*t. She did the same with my Legos, and action figures (the ones she didn't throw out altogether). All my Star Wars figures and vehicles... gone. I had tons of that sh*t, kept my stuff beautiful. He-Man. GIJoe. Some rare stuff too. Most of it is gone.

I'm not entirely sure I'm over it yet.

For the most part, no. The 1990s and 2000s have not produced a lot in terms of the high value stuff. I buy and sell a lot, and it's always heartbreaking when I have to tell a guy my age looking to sell his books that his entire collection from the 90s, (which was an amazing era and produced so many great stories), isn't worth anything. And it probably won't be even if you hold onto it for another 10-20 years too. There are a few exceptions:

- Very high value stuff (over a g) if near mint.

Walking Dead #1

Bone #1

Chew #1

- Under a grand but good investments

Spiderman 298-300 - Venom trilogy

New Mutants 87 - First Cable

New Mutants 98 - First Deadpool. The best book from the 90s you can buy right now in terms of cost to appreciation ratio, IMO. It's a lock to appreciate as time passes, and you can still nab ungraded mint copies for a few hundred bucks.

X-Factor #6

Preacher #1

Evil Ernie #1

Iron Man 281 (first War Machine)

I'm probably forgetting a few. Some will tell you that Spawn #1 is worth something, don't listen to them.

I want to say I've got the bold. I can remember the day I bought the first Deadpool, and remembered Domino from the cover art soon as I saw it. Only having just gotten my stuff back, I haven't gone through it to make sure it's all there. 

I bought a ton of books in the 90's. I've got things like the entire Xtinction Agenda, most of the McFarlane Spidey stuff when he first took it on. The Ghost Rider stuff by Tex when they brought that character back. I've got to find time to sort through it... 

Archived