What AFC East Player Makes Jets Contenders?

Patriot Killa

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51986/afc-east-qa-who-would-make-jets-title-worthy

Enough of the same old discussion. Here's something new...

Today's question: If the New York Jets could "draft" one player from any team in the division (excluding Tom Brady) to make them a championship-caliber team, who would it be?

Mike Rodak, Buffalo Bills I would love to see LeSean McCoy in Chan Gailey's offense. The Jets averaged a solid 4.5 yards per carry last season -- only five teams were better -- but McCoy would be an instant upgrade over Chris Ivory,Stevan Ridley and Zac Stacy. McCoy's combined 2,146 rushing and receiving yards in 2013 -- his first year under Chip Kelly's spread offense in Philadelphia -- are the 11th-most by any player in any one season since 2005. Gailey shares some offensive principles with Kelly and would be effective at maximizing McCoy's production. It wouldn't completely cover the Jets' deficiencies at quarterback, but McCoy would have a field day in Gailey's system.

James Walker, Miami Dolphins Brady is the only player in the AFC East good enough to make the Jets a title contender. He's the best player in the division and plays the most important position. Let's not pretend the Jets are just one player away from a Super Bowl. They are multiple players away and as of right now I would pick the Jets to finish last in the division. Players like Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill and McCoy would all make the Jets better. But it's questionable whether New York even would make the playoffs with one of these additions. The Jets need to find a star quarterback or four or five additional top-tier players to reach contender status in the future.

Mike Reiss, New England Patriots The first place I looked was the quarterback position, but with Brady not available, there was no slam-dunk choice. After thinking about the unconventional approach of Patriots backup Jimmy Garoppolo, who I think has the potential to be a quality starting quarterback, I landed on Gronkowski. The thinking was that the defense appears to be in good hands, so add an offensive piece that hopefully can help bring out the best in Geno Smith, who is the team's biggest question mark. What Gronkowski did for the Patriots in 2014 was MVP-worthy, hauling in 82 catches for 1,124 yards and 12 touchdowns in 15 games. He immediately would leap to the top of the depth chart over Jeff Cumberland and Jace Amaro and help provide Smith with a security blanket in the high-percentage short-to-intermediate areas of the field

Miami's beat writer must really not like us. Says we have no chance with any one player. Says we need 4 or 5.. Think that's Miami.

"Players like Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill and McCoy would all make the Jets better."

he also put Tannehills name next to Gronkowski who will likely go down as one of the best TEs in NFL history and McCoy who up until last season was a top 5 RB in the NFL...I see a bit of bias in his writing and quite honestly I think with Tannehills mega contract he would make the Jets worse and not better.

"Players like Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill and McCoy would all make the Jets better."

he also put Tannehills name next to Gronkowski who will likely go down as one of the best TEs in NFL history and McCoy who up until last season was a top 5 RB in the NFL...I see a bit of bias in his writing and quite honestly I think with Tannehills mega contract he would make the Jets worse and not better.

I think the Jets are two players away from contention. Those two players have to be a Quarterback and a true edge rusher.

Miami's beat writer must really not like us. Says we have no chance with any one player. Says we need 4 or 5.. Think that's Miami.

looking at who the other writers pick it would seem that they are picking from the team they cover.  going by that there is noone on the fish that would make us a title contender. really noone outside a guaranteed HoF QB that could do that for us this year. that being said, lets hope that Geno steps up.

looking at who the other writers pick it would seem that they are picking from the team they cover. going by that there is noone on the fish that would make us a title contender. really noone outside a guaranteed HoF QB that could do that for us this year. that being said, lets hope that Geno steps up.

Cam Wake would be terrific here.

You are right James Walker is a total Dolphins homer and a known Jets hater. F him

Walker is not a Phins' fan. The guy was born in Maryland and went to Temple. He was ESPN's blogger on the AfC North for all those years while Tim Graham covered the AFCE.

He now lives in Miami. He doesnt hate the Jets anymore than say Cimini hates the Patriots. He reports on the team where he lives. Does anyone know if Walker even has a favorite team? Many of these guys don't, and if they do, they keep it pretty close to the vest. Greeny is a Jets fan. Kiper loves the Ravens. Jay Crawford is a Browns fan. Florio, whom I despise, is a Vikings guy. Not too many are public about their allegiances.

Now, I do not believe Walker is a particularly good beat writer... but that is a different matter.

One player wouldn't be enough for the simple fact that Brady is the only QB in the division with the ability to get the Jets to the SB.

LOL wrong. Just wrong.

An average QB gets the Jets into the playoffs this year. And if the Jets get hot at the right time, they can make a run with decent QB play and elite defense.

LOL wrong. Just wrong.

An average QB gets the Jets into the playoffs this year. And if the Jets get hot at the right time, they can make a run with decent QB play and elite defense.

The QBs in the AFCE are blah outside of Brady. Tannyboy is average at best and rest just suck so it's right just right.

And he'd pick us for last.

Keep in mind the Miami press picks us for last every year, year in and year out.  They also pick the Dolphins to surprise.  They are god awful in SFlo

I think the Jets are two players away from contention. Those two players have to be a Quarterback and a true edge rusher.

Just the QB to me.  I get that you never get too much pressure but we get plenty of pressure on the QB, its kind of like when people say we need lots of help on the OL to me.

Lame thread. That said, I'd take Rookie WR Devante Parker from the dolphins to help us.

You're lame for even taking time out to let us know your opinion on a thread lmao. Simply skim over it dude. With that said, I respect your opinion but please package it in a way that isn't so rude. We're all jet fans here.. I'm tired of all the Sheldon drama and I thought this was interesting.

Walker is not a Phins' fan. The guy was born in Maryland and went to Temple. He was ESPN's blogger on the AfC North for all those years while Tim Graham covered the AFCE.

He now lives in Miami. He doesnt hate the Jets anymore than say Cimini hates the Patriots. He reports on the team where he lives. Does anyone know if Walker even has a favorite team? Many of these guys don't, and if they do, they keep it pretty close to the vest. Greeny is a Jets fan. Kiper loves the Ravens. Jay Crawford is a Browns fan. Florio, whom I despise, is a Vikings guy. Not too many are public about their allegiances.

Now, I do not believe Walker is a particularly good beat writer... but that is a different matter.

Sorry but you are wrong, I have seen him around the players off the field at events etc. I have lived down here for along time and all of the beat writers down here hate the Jets, especially the fans. Trust me, as any Jets fan that has lived in South FL for awhile and they will tell you the same thing.

Sorry but you are wrong, I have seen him around the players off the field at events etc. I have lived down here for along time and all of the beat writers down here hate the Jets, especially the fans. Trust me, as any Jets fan that has lived in South FL for awhile and they will tell you the same thing.

One phrase you always here at a Fin game down here..J-E-T-S suck suck suck...LOL

Ugh.... I live in Sarasota. I have been many times to Joe Robbie, Land Shark, Pro Player... and whatever other names that cesspool has had over the years. From Marino to Fielder to Tannehill, with other scrubs in between. I am very familiar with how the fans feel. I also know about Salguero, "Big O", Greg Cote, and other writers and radio personalities. I never found Darlington to be too much of a Jet hater. He was more objective than the rest. I am just not sure Walker's sentiments are anywhere close to the fitst few mentioned above. But if you say so....

Archived