Former first-round pick Coples impressing new Jets regime

Jetfan13

Are you saying that defensive guru Rex didnt know how to handle him??? :)

LOL, good point. I think he experimented a lot and went back and forth and never allowed a young player to grow.. 

Dont get me wrong, he still has 'take a play off issues, just like in college. maybe bowles more tuf approach will help that issue as opposed to good guy Rex?

swami-crystal-ball.jpg

Coples = Bryan Thomas.  A good, solid player that can contribute and flashes from time to time.  Thomas was a bit lazy and never met his potential.  Coples is likely going to be the same.  Not a bust.  Not a stud.

Honestly that would be a success for a firs round pick.  Not every first rounder is superstar caliber.  With that said I think Coples has a much higher ceiling than Thomas. 

Coples is a very talented player who flashes dominance at times, but he's missing a good motor.  He simply disappears for long stretches far too often.  It was one of his biggest criticisms coming into the pros, and it's proven to be true thus far.

Coples is a very talented player who flashes dominance at times, but he's missing a good motor.  He simply disappears for long stretches far too often.  It was one of his biggest criticisms coming into the pros, and it's proven to be true thus far.

Ya, I am hoping Que knowing a coach will keep him at his only true position and maturation might finally resolve that 'issue'...doubtful and homer-laden, but I'm a Jets fan LOL

Coples has been mediocre at best talk is cheap lets see results on the field. 

Such a shame that nobody appears to be interested in making him a full-time D-lineman.  I think he's played his best football up front.  I'd hate to see him leave the Jets as a FA and become a stud lineman elsewhere.  Really hoping he gets some reps up front in 3rd and long situations.

I thought Coples had a chance to be a super star coming out of college. It's a little troubling that he couldn't break out for a guy like Rex, but I am hopeful that Bowles will do a better job of getting the most out of Coples. Bowles seems like the kind of guy that will adapt to his players (while Rex was all about making players fit HIS system). If he is ever going to break out, this is the year (and the same can be said of Pryor). But even if he doesn't break out he is still a very solid player, even if he isn't on the same level as Mo/Sheldon.

Give Coples one more chance. Rex was a charlatan. He wasn't the mad genius that everyone thought he was. He didn't play guys to their natural abilities, he tried playing chess with the opposing QB's to the detriment some of his of guys natural talents, like Coples and Pryor.... He thought Jim Leonhard and a slower Ed Reed were legitimate countermeasures to Tom Brady. Bowles sounds like he is just trying to do work and his record in Arizona was far more impressive than Rex defensive record to he honest. Let's see how he does first.

Archived