Fitzpatrick ranked 3rd best Back-Up QB. Wonder what Geno would be Ranked?

32EBoozer

If Fitz takes over the Starting QB position, I bet Geno comes in at around #10.

Here's the link for the full article.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501986/article/ranking-backup-qbs-from-no-1-to-32

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The backup quarterback position is more important than ever before.

Last season alone, guys like Ryan LindleyConnor Shaw and Clipboard Jesus took teams into battle as a whopping 54 quarterbacks started games, per NFL Research.

The same occurred in 2013, when nine teams used at least two starters over the first seven weeks of play. Of those squads, only the Eagles made the playoffs. Not surprisingly, five of those clubs changed coaches after the season.

Injuries, crappy play and mounting desperation will force teams to turn to No. 2 -- and even No. 3 -- in 2015. With this in mind, it's time to rank The Guys Behind The Guys.

As for the criteria, I listed 32 presumed backups in the order I would pick them to start a game today. Playing experience and recent game tape were primary factors, but team situation also played a part.

Let's get down to the list:

Starting material

1. Mark SanchezEagles
2. Mike GlennonBuccaneers
3. Ryan FitzpatrickJets

It's possible that Sanchez starts the season, but the Eagles are paying Bradford $12.985 million this year to Sanchez's $2.5 million. If Bradford isn't fully healthy by Week 1, Sanchez gives Chip Kelly a player familiar with the system and one who led the Jets to consecutive AFC title games. His inspired play tailed off down the stretch in 2014, but I'm also basing this off fit: Philly's run-heavy, "QB-proof" attack is an outstanding landing spot for our top-ranked backup.

I was surprised nobody swung a trade for Glennon this offseason. NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell called him "far more advanced" than Robert Griffin III, saying "they shouldn't even be in the same discussion." Glennon played behind one of the NFL's worst lines last year and it showed, but his 18 career starts include moments of genuine promise.

If Geno Smith crumbles, the Amish Rifle gives Jets play-caller Chan Gailey an unspectacular but battle-tested veteran to run his offense. With 89 career starts, Fitzy has worked himself out of a starting gig -- with good reason -- but he's an asset for a Gang Green outfit not entirely sold on Geno.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geno would absolutely be #1 and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

There was a thread here not too long ago re: Geno or Sanchez right now and a goodly number of posters opted for Sanchez.  So, IMHO your "absolutely" is way off the mark. (no pun intended)

Shoulda' got Glennon

Probably could have but it would have cost a 3rd round pick and Mac figured a 7th for Fitz was better value. I don't buy the phantom argument that Tampa wants to keep glennon so Winston can watch and learn from the sideline he is starting.

Another snarky Geno bashing thread.wonderful. Yet people want to ignore the facts of the Jets offense the last couple years:

1. No weapons, Even last year Decker was mostly injured and our receivers were among the worst overall if not THE worst in the NFL. Would affect negatively any WB. Difficult to describe how much stronger the position is this year.

2. Terrible coaching. David Lee is a HORRIBLE QB coach who's claim to fame is the invention of the wildcat which does not actually use the QB. An OC that ran the worst possible offense for a second year QB from a spread offense and never adapted.

3, Completely brain dead HC. Not only was he a cancer to the QB position because of his disdain for offense, but he meddled significantly with the offense making it the dumbest offensive system over the last four years in the NFL. Take an offense completely unsuitable for your QBs skills and then force wildcat and power run schemes that do not fit the scheme at all and you have an offensive scheme nightmare for any QB. No disguise, no subtlety.the opposing defense could know 95% of the time whether we were in run or pass. Couple that with opposing teams putting 8 in the box and Rex still forcing runs on almost all first and second downs and it creates an impossible situation for any QB.

4 He DID improve. In fact if you take out the two Rex fueled debacles in San Diego and game against Buffalo where he was TOLD to throw to Harvin regardless, his QB rating would be 84.85 which is sill bad but around 20th in the NFL in the worst situation for a QB possible.

Now we have a HC that actually believes in scoring, an OC that designs his offense around his players, and has specifically stated that he is designing the offense around Geno and a GREATLY improved receiving corps and the fact that Geno is very talented and there is a good chance he really blossoms this year. Completely dismissing him on his performance under the nightmare he had to play under is ridiculous.

Probably could have but it would have cost a 3rd round pick and Mac figured a 7th for Fitz was better value. I don't buy the phantom argument that Tampa wants to keep glennon so Winston can watch and learn from the sideline he is starting.

Glennon sucks.

Another snarky Geno bashing thread.wonderful. Yet people want to ignore the facts of the Jets offense the last couple years:

1. No weapons, Even last year Decker was mostly injured and our receivers were among the worst overall if not THE worst in the NFL. Would affect negatively any WB. Difficult to describe how much stronger the position is this year.

2. Terrible coaching. David Lee is a HORRIBLE QB coach who's claim to fame is the invention of the wildcat which does not actually use the QB. An OC that ran the worst possible offense for a second year QB from a spread offense and never adapted.

3, Completely brain dead HC. Not only was he a cancer to the QB position because of his disdain for offense, but he meddled significantly with the offense making it the dumbest offensive system over the last four years in the NFL. Take an offense completely unsuitable for your QBs skills and then force wildcat and power run schemes that do not fit the scheme at all and you have an offensive scheme nightmare for any QB. No disguise, no subtlety.the opposing defense could know 95% of the time whether we were in run or pass. Couple that with opposing teams putting 8 in the box and Rex still forcing runs on almost all first and second downs and it creates an impossible situation for any QB.

4 He DID improve. In fact if you take out the two Rex fueled debacles in San Diego and game against Buffalo where he was TOLD to throw to Harvin regardless, his QB rating would be 84.85 which is sill bad but around 20th in the NFL in the worst situation for a QB possible.

Now we have a HC that actually believes in scoring, an OC that designs his offense around his players, and has specifically stated that he is designing the offense around Geno and a GREATLY improved receiving corps and the fact that Geno is very talented and there is a good chance he really blossoms this year. Completely dismissing him on his performance under the nightmare he had to play under is ridiculous.

Great post the Geno haters never cease to amaze me here. 

Thanks for providing some perspective. 

I looked at this more as a "We should have traded for Glennon" thread :-)

I was surprised nobody swung a trade for Glennon this offseason. NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell called him "far more advanced" than Robert Griffin III, saying "they shouldn't even be in the same discussion." Glennon played behind one of the NFL's worst lines last year and it showed, but his 18 career starts include moments of genuine promise.

If Geno Smith crumbles, the Amish Rifle gives Jets play-caller Chan Gailey an unspectacular but battle-tested veteran to run his offense. With 89 career starts, Fitzy has worked himself out of a starting gig -- with good reason -- but he's an asset for a Gang Green outfit not entirely sold on Geno.

Of course we'll be sorry we didnt pull the trigger on this guy. This statement is exactly what I seen watching all of his games. Thats how I know that 99% of the people who criticize him never watched his games. Dude is a starter sitting on the bench because he plays for a dysfunctional organization like the Bucs. He will probably be their 3rd QB they drafted that will win a SB for another team before its all said and done. lol

Man it feels good to talk Mike Glennon football again! 

Of course your now going to show us proof of this, right?

because we know you would not just make stuff up, right?

Of course we'll be sorry we didnt pull the trigger on this guy. This statement is exactly what I seen watching all of his games. Thats how I know that 99% of the people who criticize him never watched his games. Dude is a starter sitting on the bench because he plays for a dysfunctional organization like the Bucs. He will probably be their 3rd QB they drafted that will win a SB for another team before its all said and done. lol

Man it feels good to talk Mike Glennon football again! 

VtF..... you do realize that the Bucs would have to make him available in a trade for us to actually obtain him.... right?

I never heard or read anything that indicated  the Bucs were looking to trade him, not without 1st seeing what they had in Winston and having another backup available in case Winston does something stupid or sucks!

Perhaps next year he might be available. Is he a FA next year?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/mike-glennon/

CURRENT CONTRACT

Mike Glennon signed a 4 year, $3,104,062 contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including a $637,500 signing bonus, $637,500 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $776,016. In 2015, Glennon will earn a base salary of $687,188. Glennon has a cap hit of $846,563 while his dead money value is $318,750.

CONTRACT:4 yr(s) / $3,104,062 SIGNING BONUS$637,500 AVERAGE SALARY$776,016 GUARANTEED:$637,500 FREE AGENT:2017 / UFA

Year Age Base Salary Signing Bonus Workout Bonus Cap Hit Dead Cap

2013 23 $405,000 $159,375 - $564,375 $637,500

2014 24 $546,094 $159,375 - $705,469 $478,125

2015 25 $687,188 $159,375 - $846,563 $318,750

2016 26 $675,000 $159,375 $153,281 $987,656 $159,375

2017 UFA

Contract Notes:

2015-16 Workout Bonus: $153,281

VtF..... you do realize that the Bucs would have to make him available in a trade for us to actually obtain him.... right?

I never heard or read anything that indicated  the Bucs were looking to trade him, not without 1st seeing what they had in Winston and having another backup available in case Winston does something stupid or sucks!

Perhaps next year he might be available. Is he a FA next year?

I do realize that. I spoke for a month or two leading up to the draft specifically on possible trade options to aquire his above average services. I didnt hear or read a thing on Jimmy Graham's possible trade availability. Matter of fact, I read more about the possibility of Drew Brees being traded leading up to the draft. This very forum had a thread on the subject. Its all speculation with these articles unless a team states that they're putting a player on the block. 

With that said though, there were quite a few articles that speculated possible trade between teams like the Bills, Browns, Texans and Jets regarding Glennon. Im just glad that the Bills didnt execute a trade for his services. That squad would just be sick if they did. I feel more strongly on Glennon's talent than I did Alshon Jeffery coming out of SC. I got to watch a few games on Jeffery and highlights. I got to watch 2 years worth of tape on Glennon. Im telling you this kid is legit and we will look back at this moment and time will prove not trading to get this dude was a mistake. 

Glennon has 2 years left on his contract. He wont be a FA until 2017. 

I do realize that. I spoke for a month or two leading up to the draft specifically on possible trade options to aquire his above average services. I didnt hear or read a thing on Jimmy Graham's possible trade availability. Matter of fact, I read more about the possibility of Drew Brees being traded leading up to the draft. This very forum had a thread on the subject. Its all speculation with these articles unless a team states that they're putting a player on the block. 

With that said though, there were quite a few articles that speculated possible trade between teams like the Bills, Browns, Texans and Jets regarding Glennon. Im just glad that the Bills didnt execute a trade for his services. That squad would just be sick if they did. I feel more strongly on Glennon's talent than I did Alshon Jeffery coming out of SC. I got to watch a few games on Jeffery and highlights. I got to watch 2 years worth of tape on Glennon. Im telling you this kid is legit and we will look back at this moment and time will prove not trading to get this dude was a mistake. 

I grow fatigued!  

. I didnt hear or read a thing on Jimmy Graham's possible trade availability. Matter of fact, I read more about the possibility of Drew Brees being traded leading up to the draft. 

True. Valid Point.

They probably would have gotten more value in a trade this year than after possibly holding a clip board all season.

They certainly won't be trading from a position of strength next year, especially if Winston plays well.

This is Fitz final year on contract. If Smith doesn't show us something next year I'd be OK with pulling a trade for Glennon and letting him and Petty battle it out. If Fitzy plays well this year, you have to sign him to another 2-3 year deal and hope Petty can Supplant him at some point.

If Fitz takes over the Starting QB position, I bet Geno comes in at around #10.

Geno hating is fun, apparently, but the way that list is put together, it's hard to imagine Geno falling out of the top five backups in the league. He and Fitz are roughly on the same level, with Fitz pretty much already fulfilling his potential, while Geno's potential is still potentially untapped. 

I don't think any mistake was made because I don't think Tampa ever had any intention of trading him. Lovie brought in McCown to be his starter over Glennon. Had he kept McCown after the season, then Glennon would've almost certainly been available in a trade. But Lovie clearly decided that McCown didn't have it. Once that happened, they were holding onto Glennon as an insurance policy this year. No way they were going into the season with a rookie QB and no experience backing him up. Glennon is better than anyone that would've been available on the open market and he's dirt cheap. They'd've been very foolish to trade him this year, as he'll be worth just as much on the trade market next year. 

Next year we can talk about whether or not the team made a mistake regarding Glennon. 

Ok, maybe I was a little too "Salty" with the Top 10 comment, however, I'm not entirely sure that Geno can be compared to Fitzy either. Although Fitzy has been an average starter over his 10 year career, Geno has most definitely been below average. Our starting  QB for the last 2 years would probably rank 3rd on the backup QB list. I'm sorry but that is sad! No Geno hate here..... just a perfectly honest evaluation.

Yes, they would have been, but to say trading for a young QB with 2 years left on his rookie deal vs. 1 year of play before becoming a FA and still having the same trade value would be naive. 

True. Valid Point.

They probably would have gotten more value in a trade this year than after possibly holding a clip board all season.

They certainly won't be trading from a position of strength next year, especially if Winston plays well.

This is Fitz final year on contract. If Smith doesn't show us something next year I'd be OK with pulling a trade for Glennon and letting him and Petty battle it out. If Fitzy plays well this year, you have to sign him to another 2-3 year deal and hope Petty can Supplant him at some point.

I agree. Atleast next year we could have some ammo. We can trade D'Brick instead of releasing him with his contract next year being 14 million if he decides not to rework his deal. We could also trade Mo Wilk if we cant get a deal done or if Williams really shows that he's legit. We could mess around and get a guy like Glennon as well as a draft pick just waiting a year. 

I do think that this will be Geno's best year though, or atleast should be. He now has a top 10 WR corp, the already good running game has gotten better, Gailey looks to be the right man for the job in regards to our needs and we have a stingy defense that will allow for more offensive opportunities. 

Though I like Williams as a player I still think that we should have traded down and picked up two top tackles or a top tackle and a top guard. This line is going to struggle something serious if Brick gets hurt or is released next year. One thing that I do know, Geno cannot produce behind a bad offensive line, something that I can say Glennon did pretty well while having a bottom 3 worst oline in all of football. 

Geno hating is fun, apparently, but the way that list is put together, it's hard to imagine Geno falling out of the top five backups in the league. He and Fitz are roughly on the same level, with Fitz pretty much already fulfilling his potential, while Geno's potential is still potentially untapped. 

I don't think any mistake was made because I don't think Tampa ever had any intention of trading him. Lovie brought in McCown to be his starter over Glennon. Had he kept McCown after the season, then Glennon would've almost certainly been available in a trade. But Lovie clearly decided that McCown didn't have it. Once that happened, they were holding onto Glennon as an insurance policy this year. No way they were going into the season with a rookie QB and no experience backing him up. Glennon is better than anyone that would've been available on the open market and he's dirt cheap. They'd've been very foolish to trade him this year, as he'll be worth just as much on the trade market next year. 

Next year we can talk about whether or not the team made a mistake regarding Glennon. 

I agree with this. It would have been a very poor decision to trade him. I thought it was an unnecessary decision to draft Winston #1, not because Winston isnt worth it. I think his football skill will shine in this league. I think that Winston will have the same problem Glennon had, which was the oline, dropped passes and a overall bad defense. I do like their pick up of Ali Marpet and I LOVE getting Kenny Bell in the forth. Bell imo will be a respectable starter in the league in a few years. However I will say that when watching his college games he did have those conentration drops that I seen from guys like Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans. If Marpet and the Tackle they drafted in the 2nd round can help out that line the Bucs will make noise next year given that they have nice talent and very good depth at the QB position in case of injury. 

You make a very strong point here though. 

You have to love the idea that a guy who couldn't crack the lineup in Tampa, who caused Tampa to bring in McCown and then to draft a QB this year at 1 who has plenty of questions to deal with would be our savior. That two coaching staffs missed something. That this FO wouldn't have rather put Glennon in and drafted Williams or another top talent instead of having two QBs on the roster.

Archived