Fitzpatrick ranked 3rd best Back-Up QB. Wonder what Geno would be Ranked?

32EBoozer

You have to love the idea that a guy who couldn't crack the lineup in Tampa, who caused Tampa to bring in McCown and then to draft a QB this year at 1 who has plenty of questions to deal with would be our savior. That two coaching staffs missed something. That this FO wouldn't have rather put Glennon in and drafted Williams or another top talent instead of having two QBs on the roster.

Things that make you go, "Hmmm"?!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with Fitz pretty much already fulfilling his potential, while Geno's potential is still potentially untapped. 

Worthless barstool logic. 

I find it simply amazing that a quarterback that dooms his team to a 4-12 record is viewed as a potential superstar. Bench him, everybody benefits.  

I find it simply amazing that a quarterback that dooms his team to a 4-12 record is viewed as a potential superstar. Bench him, everybody benefits.  

If you put all the blame of 4-12 on the QB you would have a point.

But that would pretty much define worthless barstool logic.  Too many QBs to mention start off losing big time for this to make any sense

Complain to the guys sitting on bar stools in the coach's office, then. They're the ones executing the plan, I'm just describing the logic behind it. 

Complain to the guys sitting on bar stools in the coach's office, then. They're the ones executing the plan, I'm just describing the logic behind it. 

That's interesting because it sounded to me like you were describing Geno's vast reservoir of skill that he hasn't shared with us yet when you wrote:  Geno's potential is still potentially untapped

That's interesting because it sounded to me like you were describing Geno's vast reservoir of skill that he hasn't shared with us yet when you wrote:  Geno's potential is still potentially untapped

I'm pretty good with words. When I say his potential is potentially untapped, I'm questioning whether the potential is there at all. I hope it is, but who knows? The coaches, however, obviously believe that it is. Otherwise, they wouldn't be as all in with Geno as they appear to be.

I'm pretty good with words. When I say his potential is potentially untapped, I'm questioning whether the potential is there at all. I hope it is, but who knows? The coaches, however, obviously believe that it is. Otherwise, they wouldn't be as all in with Geno as they appear to be.

I'm not sure that they appear to be all in.  Seems to me what's going on is more of a last chance, then an all in.

They want to see if Smith can perform any better under Gailey's system then he has in the past.  If not he gets thrown to the curb, probably forever, very early in the season.  They think they have a vet in Fitz who won't need a lot of prep time to come in 

And if Fitz is thaaaaat much better than Geno it will be obvious in preseason and he'll be the week 1 starter.

I've resigned myself to what seems like a fait accompli that Geno will start.  As a Jet fan in the offseason, all I can do is be optimistic that Chan Gailey can fix whatever is broken.

Unnecessarily confrontational today, aren't you, little chickpea?

geno will start week 1 unless he totally screws the pooch in preseason AND Fitz (to lesser extent Petty) play lights out in preseason.. But even if Geno starts, based on past resume, there will be a short leash on him with tuf guy Bowles/new GM Mac (they have ZERO allegiance)

Shouldn't matter. If Geno is the disaster everyone makes him out to be the conspiracy theories you and other people have are moot.

No your right.   Smith has been a star in the league, and should just have the most important job in football handed over to him with out competition, well because that's what the Jets have done the last five years, and it's worked out so well for them.

geno will start week 1 unless he totally screws the pooch in preseason AND Fitz (to lesser extent Petty) play lights out in preseason.. But even if Geno starts, based on past resume, there will be a short leash on him with tuf guy Bowles/new GM Mac (they have ZERO allegiance)

Great post if Geno doesn't produce Bowles will pull the plug early and turn the team over to Fitzpatrick the QB position here will be the most watched in the league remember this is the NY Jets anything can happen here. Im hoping for success for Geno.

Great post if Geno doesn't produce Bowles will pull the plug early and turn the team over to Fitzpatrick the QB position here will be the most watched in the league remember this is the NY Jets anything can happen here. Im hoping for success for Geno.

Everyone should agree on two things: (1) that Geno proves the critics wrong, of which there are understandably many; (2) If he fails the leash is short.

No your right.   Smith has been a star in the league, and should just have the most important job in football handed over to him with out competition, well because that's what the Jets have done the last five years, and it's worked out so well for them.

I understand the competition argument, but the bypassing the competition argument has some merit, too. The basis of it here is that they see Geno as physically superior to Fitzpatrick, a much more viable long term solution, and they want to give him every chance to succeed by giving him virtually all the first team reps in a new offense, with a new cast around him.

I don't have a problem with it. This is his last chance. Either this greatly benefits Geno, and he plays better than he ever has before, or he craps the bed once again and the team moves on from him knowing that they did everything they could for him, first. Fitzpatrick is a smart guy who's played for Gailey before, shouldn't take him long to get up to speed if they decide to turn to him.

I understand the competition argument, but the bypassing the competition argument has some merit, too. The basis of it here is that they see Geno as physically superior to Fitzpatrick, a much more viable long term solution, and they want to give him every chance to succeed by giving him virtually all the first team reps in a new offense, with a new cast around him.

I don't have a problem with it. This is his last chance. Either this greatly benefits Geno, and he plays better than he ever has before, or he craps the bed once again and the team moves on from him knowing that they did everything they could for him, first. Fitzpatrick is a smart guy who's played for Gailey before, shouldn't take him long to get up to speed if they decide to turn to him.

If Smith was a rookie I might buy into the argument.  He's not.  He's a third year vet, who has been the starter for two years.  Yes, he has more arm talent then Fitz, but if he can't hold off a journeymen in camp, he just doesn't deserve to start.   if he comes into camp and makes it clear he is a better option then Fitz, great, I'm all in.   

If he is handed the job, with out earning it.....again.   If the Jets are 1-3 at the break because of it, there was no purpose to it, except injuring the teams chances in the season.

If Fitz wins in camp, and falters, or is injured, (which is possible) Smith gets his chance again.   Maybe an extended time on the bench will do him some good.  Being catered to, and handed the job hasn't worked, why not try a new approach.

If Smith was a rookie I might buy into the argument.  He's not.  He's a third year vet, who has been the starter for two years.  Yes, he has more arm talent then Fitz, but if he can't hold off a journeymen in camp, he just doesn't deserve to start.   if he comes into camp and makes it clear he is a better option then Fitz, great, I'm all in.   

If he is handed the job, with out earning it.....again.   If the Jets are 1-3 at the break because of it, there was no purpose to it, except injuring the teams chances in the season.

If Fitz wins in camp, and falters, or is injured, (which is possible) Smith gets his chance again.   Maybe an extended time on the bench will do him some good.  Being catered to, and handed the job hasn't worked, why not try a new approach.

What are the Jets' chances this season? How far are they really getting with Fitzpatrick under center?

Like I said, I understand the competition argument. If these guys decided to open up the QB job like that, I'd've been on board - because I'm still honeymooning! :) But that's not what they're doing, and I can understand their logic. By affording Geno every advantage going into the season, they can make a definitive decision on him this season. Either he takes advantage and plays better than ever, or he still sucks and they know clearly that they need to move on. If they give half the starting reps to Fitzpatrick, let hm start a preseason game, etc., those are all reps Geno didn't get in a new offense, with a new cast around him. So even if Geno wins that open competition, he has the built-in excuse that he didn't get enough prep time in the offseason if he falters during the regular season. If he finishes up strong once again, the new regime is left with the same dilemma as the last one: maybe he is good enough... ? By going all in, in his third season, he has no excuses. Either perform, or the team is moving on.

I'm sure Bowles and Mac want to succeed right out of the gate, but they're also taking the long view at QB. Fitzpatrick really isn't a part of that. I'm sure they'll be paying closer attention to Petty than Fitz, because he's the potential future alternative, not the conquering hero.

They don't want to wrap this season up without having a clear picture of what they believe Geno to be.

No your right. Smith has been a star in the league, and should just have the most important job in football handed over to him with out competition, well because that's what the Jets have done the last five years, and it's worked out so well for them.

Yeah that's totally what I said and you're not misquoting me.

What are the Jets' chances this season? How far are they really getting with Fitzpatrick under center?

Like I said, I understand the competition argument. If these guys decided to open up the QB job like that, I'd've been on board - because I'm still honeymooning! :) But that's not what they're doing

Our chances are yet to be determined ... But if QB can play average or slightly above that instead of poorly those chances certainly go up.

I'm waiting to see what the actual %'s of reps (and whether with the 1's or 2's) in training camp & preseason before I accept that the new regime has truly made up their mind already without competition

Wow, if that's so then you're nuts. How could you say and think those things?

I don't know. Ask flgreen he put those words in my mouth. Anyone who disagrees with him or the other Geno must die people it automatically means you think Geno > Brady.

I don't know. Ask flgreen he put those words in my mouth. Anyone who disagrees with him or the other Geno must die people it automatically means you think Geno > Brady.

Not at all.  I honestly hope Smith has a great camp, and becomes a franchise QB.   I just want to see an honest QB competition, and not have the job just handed to Smith.  Don't think he's earned it.

Some others disagree, that's cool, that's what message boards are for.  To express options and opinions..   You like to be dramatic in your posts, so I thought I would reciprocate.   :)

Not at all.  I honestly hope Smith has a great camp, and becomes a franchise QB.   I just want to see an honest QB competition, and not have the job just handed to Smith.  Don't think he's earned it.

Some others disagree, that's cool, that's what message boards are for.  To express options and opinions..   You like to be dramatic in your posts, so I thought I would reciprocate.   :)

How can you say he hasn't earned it? How can you say that?

Like I said, I understand the competition argument. If these guys decided to open up the QB job like that, I'd've been on board - because I'm still honeymooning! :)

The great thing about being a Jets fan!  We are always on our honeymoon!

Unnecessarily confrontational today, aren't you, little chickpea?

It is always necessary!

JMo If your backup QB , can't beat out the 32 ranked QB for the starting position . Than exactly what do you have to get excited about, as what difference does it matter where the backup ranked. Only time it would matter if you had an elite Qb, and his backup was highly ranked( excuse why he wasn't playing because the guy in front of him was that good. In that scenario than you would feel a lot better about your Qb situation going forward.

what exactly is the difference having the 32 ranked Qb and the 33 ranked Qb( top backup Qb). Are either changing the teams fortune by starting either one of them. .

what exactly is the difference having the 32 ranked Qb and the 33 ranked Qb( top backup Qb). Are either changing the teams fortune by starting either one of them. .

The main benefit would be insurance in case of injury to the starting QB ... If the rest of the team is good enough.

Also, a good % of Jets fans believe after Training Camp & Preseason there is a good chance that Fitz will rank better than 33 and Geno worse than 32

Archived