New hot water heater in June. New furnace and central air unit in July. New roof in August.

BP

Come on, my experience with these scum bags is that there is such a narrow criteria you need to meet for coverage that most times they give you the big FU

I've had a wonderful experience. Over $14,000 in repairs versus $1,200 in premiums over the years. Sure sometimes you got to wrassle em a bit but at the end of the day they've always coughed it up.

I've had a wonderful experience. Over $14,000 in repairs versus $1,200 in premiums over the years. Sure sometimes you got to wrassle em a bit but at the end of the day they've always coughed it up.

What kinds of repairs?

What kinds of repairs?

Off the top of my head--burst water leak (that sucked), new hot water heater, new air conditioning unit, new garbage disposal. I'm probably forgetting a few.  They even cover major appliances like fridge and dishwasher.  My furnace is ancient, can't wait for it to blow!  I pay $50 a month and the deductible per service call is $50.  When you make a call, they send out a local company to try to fix, if fix fails they replace with new.  It's never taken them more than 48 hours to get out there.  for an extra premium you can even cover a swimming pool.  Basically only thing not covered is exterior (roof, siding, etc).  Biggest fight I had with them was they did a crappy job patching the dry wall after fixing my plumbing leak, although the contract does say they only "rough patch" drywall.  I fixed that myself so I got a major water pipe rupture fixed for $50 and about 3 hours of my time to patch and paint the hole after they left.

I'm not a handy guy and for me it's a cheap price to basically have a superintendent for a house you own--it's certainly cheaper than maintenance fees for a condo!

My realtor bought a year for me as a house warming gift.  I loved it so much, I kept paying the premiums.

Off the top of my head--burst water leak (that sucked), new hot water heater, new air conditioning unit, new garbage disposal. I'm probably forgetting a few.  They even cover major appliances like fridge and dishwasher.  My furnace is ancient, can't wait for it to blow!  I pay $50 a month and the deductible per service call is $50.  When you make a call, they send out a local company to try to fix, if fix fails they replace with new.  It's never taken them more than 48 hours to get out there.  for an extra premium you can even cover a swimming pool.  Basically only thing not covered is exterior (roof, siding, etc).  Biggest fight I had with them was they did a crappy job patching the dry wall after fixing my plumbing leak, although the contract does say they only "rough patch" drywall.  I fixed that myself so I got a major water pipe rupture fixed for $50 and about 3 hours of my time to patch and paint the hole after they left.

I'm not a handy guy and for me it's a cheap price to basically have a superintendent for a house you own--it's certainly cheaper than maintenance fees for a condo!

My realtor bought a year for me as a house warming gift.  I loved it so much, I kept paying the premiums.

wow, i will have to look into..

I've replaced 2 heaters, 1 AC unit, pool filter, pool liner, had water damange in the basement that cost about 10k all in to repair.. And your saying $50 a month would've covered all of it? Sounds to good to be true

wow, i will have to look into..

I've replaced 2 heaters, 1 AC unit, pool filter, pool liner, had water damange in the basement that cost about 10k all in to repair.. And your saying $50 a month would've covered all of it? Sounds to good to be true

That's what I'm saying, yes. Although I think to cover the pool it's quite expensive. Like an extra $40 a month. I also paid for the "platinum" or "premium" coverage which includes more stuff (appliances and furnance).  It's based on square footage. I have a small city townhouse so if you have a mcmansion it's going to cost more.. Also, my contract doesn't cover flooding, so unless the water came from inside the house (burst pipe) you'd be on your own.  Of course every company is different. I use First American Home Buyers: https://homewarranty.firstam.com/

I've had the policy for 10 years and they didn't require inspection when I got policy.  Who knows if they would today.  But there are dozens of similar companies, you can shop around to find one that suits you best.  I don't know if the one I use is superior or inferior to the rest. Like I said it was a gift. But i've had a pleasant experience.

Edit: Just looked at my auto-draft, my premium is $60/month. It was $40 when I got it 10 years ago, they take a modest increase every couple years.

That's what I'm saying, yes. Although I think to cover the pool it's quite expensive. Like an extra $40 a month. I also paid for the "platinum" or "premium" coverage which includes more stuff (appliances and furnance).  It's based on square footage. I have a small city townhouse so if you have a mcmansion it's going to cost more.. Also, my contract doesn't cover flooding, so unless the water came from inside the house (burst pipe) you'd be on your own.  Of course every company is different. I use First American Home Buyers: https://homewarranty.firstam.com/

I've had the policy for 10 years and they didn't require inspection when I got policy.  Who knows if they would today.  But there are dozens of similar companies, you can shop around to find one that suits you best.  I don't know if the one I use is superior or inferior to the rest. Like I said it was a gift. But i've had a pleasant experience.

Edit: Just looked at my auto-draft, my premium is $60/month. It was $40 when I got it 10 years ago, they take a modest increase every couple years.

Thanks man! Will look into it. I think you are outside Philly like me, so the same company should work

Thanks man! Will look into it. I think you are outside Philly like me, so the same company should work

What town are you in?  I'm downtown; wife loves it but I would love to move to burbs now that my kids are getting older.  The company is basically a dispatch service.  A local outfit will show up to fix whatever the problem is and you pay the deductible directly to the repairman.  I always ask what it would've cost after the guy finishes so I can keep a running tally.

I'm downtown; wife loves it but I would love to move to burbs now that my kids are getting older.  The company is basically a dispatch service.  A local outfit will show up to fix whatever the problem is and you pay the deductible directly to the repairman.  I always ask what it would've cost after the guy finishes so I can keep a running tally.

ha, smart. Oh so you're in the city, I'm just over the border in SJ, in the city almost every weekend though. If I was as close to NYC as I am to Philly my house would be 2x as expensive

ha, smart. Oh so you're in the city, I'm just over the border in SJ, in the city almost every weekend though. If I was as close to NYC as I am to Philly my house would be 2x as expensive

If I moved my 3BR rowhouse to manhattan it would be $10 million lol

That might be the key to them not requiring an inspection.  If they see the home inspection report, that stuff has been checked.  I am getting a year paid for by the seller and I am sure they will be relying on that report.

That might be the key to them not requiring an inspection.  If they see the home inspection report, that stuff has been checked.  I am getting a year paid for by the seller and I am sure they will be relying on that report.

A reasonable assumption, however the home inspector noted in his report that the furnace and air conditioner unit (and some other stuff that wasn't covered) were about to crap out.  And I used that report to negotiate cash back off purchase price at closing from the seller.

A reasonable assumption, however the home inspector noted in his report that the furnace and air conditioner unit (and some other stuff that wasn't covered) were about to crap out.  And I used that report to negotiate cash back off purchase price at closing from the seller.

That is good to know because the dishwasher in my place is going to go and I was wondering if they were going to give me a hassle when I look to get it replaced.

That is good to know because the dishwasher in my place is going to go and I was wondering if they were going to give me a hassle when I look to get it replaced.

The one big out they have is if they determine the item was not "properly maintained" they could technically deny the claim--shouldn't be a problem with a dishwasher.  I had one contractor tell me the air conditioning unit had never been serviced but if I paid him $200 to service the broken unit, he would report to the company that it had been serviced.  I paid the bastid.  Probably get ripped off, but better than shelling out for the new unit.

BP what the - you could have built a new house for the money you are spending on this one

The furnace and the roof were scheduled to be done this year. The hot water heater and ac were unexpected expenses. Windows, insulation, siding, new garage doors, and landscaping are on the 5 year plan. The landscaping will be cheap lol

The furnace and the roof were scheduled to be done this year. The hot water heater and ac were unexpected expenses. Windows, insulation, siding, new garage doors, and landscaping are on the 5 year plan. The landscaping will be cheap lol

Its best to have a plan like you seem to I use income tax returns every year to improve the house Im trying to make everything maintenance free the worst investment 18 years ago was a wolmanized wood deck in need of major repair or demo (coming soon) downsizing it drastically with a Trex type product and pavers. Make decisions today you wont regret in 5-10 years.

Archived