Geno ranked last among 32 NFL QB's with analysis from pro's

AFJF

Didn't want this to be another Geno bashing thread but worth posting since we get some quotes from coaches/offensive coordinators, etc....

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/07/jets_geno_smith_again_ranks_as_nfls_worst_quarterb.html

Another summer rankings list of the NFL's quarterbacks, from best to worst. And another last-place finish for the Jets' Geno Smith

ESPN.com's Mike Sando debuted his "quarterback tiers" list last summer. Smith checked in at No. 32 — dead last — on that last, after his sluggish rookie season in 2013. 

Now, as Smith prepares for Year 3 (and likely beginning another season as the starter), he is last once again

More on why down below, but first: How did Sando compile his list?

Last year, he relied on a voting panel of 26 league insiders.

This year, the panel comprised 35 insiders — "eight personnel directors, six general managers, four head coaches, five offensive coordinators, five defensive coordinators, three salary-cap managers, two ex-GMs, two ex-head coaches, and one offensive assistant coach," as Sando writes

This is a thoroughly done list, to say the least. 

Here is Sando with a more detailed explanation: 

Smith was one of eight quarterbacks in the fourth tier, behind Tennessee rookie Marcus Mariota, Tampa Bay rookie Jameis Winston, Jacksonville's Blake Bortles, Washington's Robert Griffin III, Cleveland's Josh McCown, Houston's Brian Hoyer, and Buffalo's Matt Cassel.

While it's far from rigid, our NFL front office and coach voters typically categorized the tiers as follows:

• Tier 1 quarterbacks can carry their teams week after week and contend for championships without as much help.

• Tier 2 QBs are less consistent and need more help, but good enough to figure prominently into a championship equation.

• Tier 3 are quarterbacks who are good enough to start but need lots of support, making it tougher to contend at the highest level.

• Tier 4 is typically reserved for unproven starters or those who might not be expected to last in the lineup all season. Voters used the fifth tier sparingly.

In the end, we averaged the tier rankings for each quarterback to produce a 1-32 ranking across four tiers (no starting QBs received enough Tier 5 votes to fall into the fifth tier).

The process was straightforward: The coaches and evaluators I polled placed each of the 32 projected starters into one of five tiers, with Tier 1 reserved for the very best and Tier 5 reserved for the very worst.

Smith received an average rating of 4.29 from Sando's panel of voters, which means some put him in the fifth (worst) tier. (Cassel got an average 4.20 rating.) 

It wasn't all bad for Smith, among the voters, as Sando notes: 

Two of the higher-profile offensive coaches in the league accounted for two of the three highest votes for Smith.

"When I watch Geno play, where are the base plays?" one of these coaches said. "To make the quarterback successful, you do not run more exotic scheme. Geno has run an offense that is trying to win with scheme. I see a guy who has talent, but he has not been coached like a quarterback. I think you have to give him a [Tier] 3 based on that."

The other offensive coach said the 2014 Jets "ran every play in the history of football" at the expense of those base plays a young quarterback needs to rely upon in a pinch. Both coaches used the word "incomplete" when describing Smith.

But there was also a significant amount of pessimism about Smith from Sando's voters: 

"Geno is a [Tier] 5, and that is it," another coach said. "He cannot process fast enough. He is not a natural guy, sliding in the pocket and knowing when to run it. He has some legs to run, but no, he is trying to prove he is a pocket passer. Let's do something at the position before we start limiting ourselves for image."

A personnel director said he thought Smith was erratic in his public comments and in his play.

"You don't have to be like everyone else," this director said, "but he does not strike me with his actions or thought process as a starting quarterback."

Do you agree with Smith coming in last in this poll again? Sound off in the comments down below. 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Slow brain cant be fixed BUT maybe the two coaches who put him tier three are onto something: get him into a scheme and work it to his strengths. Gailey has a good track record of doing just that. It is an ace hire, doubly so because if geno turds out, fitz and gailey have a productive history together. Very adult decision making by mac/bowles to actually--praise Jesus--have a clear plan B! Rex's plan B was to loudly declare rings would be won and then blindly stick with it as the house burns down around him. Mac and bowles have shown that they understand no plan is perfect and they have very assiduously hedged their bets with a gailey/fitz reunion backup plan.

The Gailey hire is pretty much standard practice when you go with the young, unproven hot coordinator.  Get a guy with a ton of experience who has been a head coach before and is not a threat to take the head job or start the fans clamoring.  The fact that he seems willing to work around sh*tty QBs is a major bonus though.  

How many analytics professionals are in this study?

Who are the Ex-Coaches? Who are the Ex-GMs? Why are therr salary cap people involved?

I don't need a study or article to tell me Geno Smith has been toward the bottom of the league the past 2 years as a starter. The fact that he is 32 on this particular list is meaningless. If there was a second study with 12 or however many different people, and he was 26th, would you feel any different about him?

How many analytics professionals are in this study?

Who are the Ex-Coaches? Who are the Ex-GMs? Why are therr salary cap people involved?

I don't need a study or article to tell me Geno Smith has been toward the bottom of the league the past 2 years as a starter. The fact that he is 32 on this particular list is meaningless. If there was a second study with 12 or however many different people, and he was 26th, would you feel any different about him?

Actually I don't care what his ranking is or which survey ranked him.  The part that I'd like to see comments on is the part where folks who presumably are paid a lot of money for their opinion say the Jets set him up to fail.  No wonder he ranks so low.  I only stop in every once in a while so I'm sure the board has debated it to death but which is it, he sucks, didn't get a fair shake, or something else.  The NEW evidence here is some smart guys say he hasn't gotten a fair shake.  We all new where he ranked. 

Actually I don't care what his ranking is or which survey ranked him. The part that I'd like to see comments on is the part where folks who presumably are paid a lot of money for their opinion say the Jets set him up to fail. No wonder he ranks so low. I only stop in every once in a while so I'm sure the board has debated it to death but which is it, he sucks, didn't get a fair shake, or something else. The NEW evidence here is some smart guys say he hasn't gotten a fair shake. We all new where he ranked.

I agree.

I want to know where they rated Kyle Orton. :)

Seriously, Geno has been a bottom tier QB based on performance. Can't really argue with that. Whether he's better or worse than EJ Manual or the like is splitting hairs. He's got one last shot to be a starting QB in the NFL. Probably more like four games. The leash will be short, I believe.

Folks aren't off work yet.  How many do you think know more than those two coordinators?

It was already up for like 24 hours when you posted that.

They didn't say it was the two coordinators.  They said "Two of the higher-profile offensive coaches in the league"  What makes them know anything more than the guys that said negative things?  Like the two below 

Geno is a [Tier] 5, and that is it," another coach said. "He cannot process fast enough. He is not a natural guy, sliding in the pocket and knowing when to run it. He has some legs to run, but no, he is trying to prove he is a pocket passer. Let's do something at the position before we start limiting ourselves for image."

A personnel director said he thought Smith was erratic in his public comments and in his play.

"You don't have to be like everyone else," this director said, "but he does not strike me with his actions or thought process as a starting quarterback."

It was already up for like 24 hours when you posted that.

They didn't say it was the two coordinators.  They said "Two of the higher-profile offensive coaches in the league"  What makes them know anything more than the guys that said negative things?  Like the two below 

Probably the same thing that makes them "higher-profile".

I want to know where they rated Kyle Orton. :)

Seriously, Geno has been a bottom tier QB based on performance. Can't really argue with that. Whether he's better or worse than EJ Manual or the like is splitting hairs. He's got one last shot to be a starting QB in the NFL. Probably more like four games. The leash will be short, I believe.

Not it won't. He will likely get 8-10 games minimum, but he will also definitely improve. How much remains to be seen.

Archived