Is Moving CB Dee Milliner To Safety An Option for the New York Jets ? ? ?

kelly

Dee Milliner is a great (and willing) open field tackler; it's one of his strengths.

I know the Achilles thing was a non-contact injury, and I'm on my phone (too lazy to look it up) but I thought his other injuries were a hammy and ankle, or was it a knee? But also non-contact.

Injury prone, yes. Fragile? Meh. More like unlucky, dude is solid.

On edit: it was a torn labrum coming from college to pros. He had surgery, it healed. Last year he sprained his ankle in the first preseason game, didn't return until week-1. No biggie, it was preseason. Week-6 he had the freak Achilles tear. That sort of injury happens from exploding out of a sprinters stance so fast that the ligament rips off. This guy isn't fragile, he's otherworldly. The Hulk comes to mind. He's like a slimmer-nimble Hulk.

The fact that his injuries aren't reoccurring issues, like say a toe, or a knee, or Deckers hammy, is actually a positive...though the Achilles may be the end all, his past injuries haven't resurfaced, (and he ripped out a hip flexor in college) suggest that he heals well.

Fingers crossed he can step into the #2 role opposite Revis, let Cro cover TEs.

More like risk and reward Milliner or McDougle will be replacing Cromartie in a few years.

I'm pretty sure they want this to happen in less than a few years. I would think they'd want it as soon as possible. Next year at the latest would (should) be their goal for dumping year-to-year contract Cromartie, unless he finds the Fountain of 2012 (not likely).

They didn't draft either one so presumably they don't care whether it's McDougle or Milliner who ends up being the better starter. As long as one pans out they wouldn't be so picky as to have a preference. The only preference they'd presumably have is for one of them to make Cromartie and his $8M non-guaranteed salary expendable (with no dead cap space as an added bonus; it's a full gain of $8M to spend on another player in 2016).

But that's IF either one of these two is up to the task (or can even stay on the field to begin with). 

McCourty moved to FS b/c the Patriots were getting scorched deep in 2012-2013 and he helped shore up that major weakness.  He's actually a pretty good cb, good in man to man, very fast, great instincts and good hands.  His problem at cb was dealing with the 6'5 Dez Bryant/Jimmy Graham types that could easily outjump/outpower him, and so it made sense to emphasize his strengths at FS.

Not the greatest tackler in the world, and he struggles against big TEs, but he is smart with his positioning and given enough time will eventually force the opposing qb into a bad mistake.

Dee Miliner is not really what you want for a FS.  He lacks the IQ, toughness and instincts for the position.  He's a pure athletic cb through and through and he either makes it or not at that position.  I still think he could eventually be something like Cromartie.

Why not? He can't possibly be any worse of a safety as he is a CB.

Hey Den - good to see you.

Amen on your response - he can bite on the playfake equally well from anywhere on the field.

McCourty moved to FS b/c the Patriots were getting scorched deep in 2012-2013 and he helped shore up that major weakness.  He's actually a pretty good cb, good in man to man, very fast, great instincts and good hands.  His problem at cb was dealing with the 6'5 Dez Bryant/Jimmy Graham types that could easily outjump/outpower him, and so it made sense to emphasize his strengths at FS..

What are you, his agent?

How many times did he play a Dez or Graham type?  And who are they?

He was one of the worst corners in the league when he was switched.  

What are you, his agent?

How many times did he play a Dez or Graham type?  And who are they?

He was one of the worst corners in the league when he was switched.

I'm still stuck on the idea of Dez Bryant wearing 3" lifts only when matching up against McCourty. David Harris is as close to 6'5 as Dez Bryant.

I'm still stuck on the idea of Dez Bryant wearing 3" lifts only when matching up against McCourty. David Harris is as close to 6'5 as Dez Bryant.

Was wondering when Dez grew too.  He's become a monster!

I would say no at this point. I would think the plan is for Milliner to get playing time in dime, and work towards becoming #2 after Cromartie leaves which is quite possibly after 1 year and competing against MacDougle and maybe Williams for that spot. He was inconsistent his rookie year but he did play elite CB at the end of 2013 so far too early to give up on him as CB, especially since we now actually have a good group of safeties.

more re Dee...

Former New York Jets first-round pick Dee Milliner, who missed most of last season after tearing an Achilles tendon, was cleared Wednesday for practice. The first training-camp practice is Thursday.

Surprisingly, the third-year cornerback won't begin camp on the active/physically unable to perform list. He was limited throughout the offseason, leading many to believe he wouldn't be ready for the rigors of camp.Chances are, Milliner still will be limited in practice, considering he hasn't participated in a full practice since last October. Milliner, drafted ninth overall in 2013, is battling for a reserve role in a crowded secondary. He's behind Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine on the cornerback depth chart.

Late Wednesday, the Jets placed three players on PUP, including running back Stevan Ridley (knee), formerly of the New England Patriots.The Jets signed Ridley to a one-year contract knowing he'd need time to return from major knee surgery, which occurred last November while Patriots. Ridley, a former 1,000-yard rusher, could be a big contributor if he can get healthy.

Guard Willie Colon (knee) and defensive lineman Kevin Vickerson (hamstring) also were added to the PUP list.Colon sat out the spring with knee soreness, so this news comes as no surprise. It will create an opportunity for others at right guard, including Oday Aboushi and Brian Winters.Colon started 32 games in 2013 and 2014.

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13340745/new-york-jets-cb-dee-milliner-achilles-tendon-cleared-practice

–- Dee Milliner started training camp doing just individual work and drills.And this was a positive sign for the third-year corner who is coming back from a torn Achilles tendon that cost him all but three games last season.Milliner said he never anticipated starting camp on the active/physically unable to perform list despite having not participated in a full practice since last October.

The Jets can take things slowly with their former ninth overall pick in the 2013 draft. Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie will start at cornerback. Milliner said new head coach Todd Bowles just wants to see the former Alabama standout to show how healthy is.“(Bowles) said he just wants to see me get back out here, see me move around, see that I am in good health, and then go from there,” Milliner said when asked if he has been told what his role might be. “With Cro and Revis coming back, that is a good thing… It is always good to have those guys around so I can pick their brains and learn football from them.”

Milliner, who had three interceptions during his rookie season, has been trying to soak up as much as he can from Revis and Cromartie.“I am always around those guys, talking to them,” Milliner said. “In the meetings, they sit right next to me. When we are at lunch or break or anything, I am always around them trying to pick their brain and hanging around two talented guys.”Milliner said he is unsure what the next step will be for him as far as participating in a full practice.

“Should be very soon, real soon,” he said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52498/milliner-sticking-close-to-revis-and-cromartie

Archived