Report: Tom Brady, NFL have had settlement talks

Jet Fan RI

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25248242/report-tom-brady-nfl-have-had-settlement-talks Report: Tom Brady, NFL have had settlement talks
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

July 23, 2015 9:31 am ET

It's been many days and we're still waiting to hear about the outcome of Tom Brady's suspension from Deflategate. Most likely Brady ends up playing the first week because of the way our legal system works. But it's possible a settlement could occur before then.

The Patriots quarterback is slated to miss the first four games after Roger Goodell doled outan almost unduly harsh initial punishment. The NFLPA and Brady are prepared to fight the suspension tooth and nail if it's upheld but, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, have had discussions with the NFL about a settlement.

However, it might be a long shot. Florio also reports "no progress has been made" and "it would be unexpected" if the two sides reached a deal.

The politics involved here aren't exactly fun. A group of influential owners are reportedly pushing Goodell to uphold Brady's suspension.

At the same time, Robert Kraft stood down on the Patriots decision to potentially sue the league over the team's punishment (forfeiting draft picks, $1 million in fines) for the good of the league. Even if there's not actual leniency for Brady exchanged, it's hard to fathom there not being some expectations.

The reality is it's a muddled mess for everyone involved and there's little in the way of extraction for the various parties that will end in a subtle or pretty manner.

We'll reiterate the theory of how we think this ultimately goes down. Brady's suspension is reduced to two games right around the start of Patriots training camp, Brady fights the suspension legally before dropping the appeal amid a single-game settlement before Week 3. Brady sits at home against the Jaguars, who are decimated by an angry Patriots roster and a fully-prepared backup in Jimmy Garoppolo. Brady returns after the Week 4 bye angrier than ever, talking about putting things behind him and prepared to eviscerate opposing defenses the final 13 weeks of the season.

Tom-Brady-Goodell-appeal-05-14-15.jpgGoodell and Brady have reportedly had settlement talks. (USATSI)

•  

Goodell is the arbitrator.  What the hell is there settle?  I guess the only thing they could mitigate is the $ fine but if Goodell budges on the games he's clearly bending over and spreading his cheeks lubed up with KY for the Kraft family.

Who are you calling a Pats homer?

Thanks for the clarification. But even if the guy is a Pats homer, did you notice these two lines in the piece:

"The NFLPA and Brady are prepared to fight the suspension tooth and nail if it's upheld but, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, have had discussions with the NFL about a settlement.

However, it might be a long shot. Florio also reports "no progress has been made" and "it would be unexpected" if the two sides reached a deal."

If even a Pats homer feels reducing the penalty is a long shot, I'm feeling pretty good the 4-game suspension will stand.

They should suspend that POS for the year...seriously, the nerve, not accepting a deal that includes a suspension - the mf thinks he is above the law.   I say OK, no suspension but a fine of $50M then - he can afford it - if he gets away with this it is teaching everyone - its OK to cheat.

They should suspend that POS for the year...seriously, the nerve, not accepting a deal that includes a suspension - the mf thinks he is above the law.   I say OK, no suspension but a fine of $50M then - he can afford it - if he gets away with this it is teaching everyone - its OK to cheat.

And that failing to cooperate with an investigation is OK as well.

It's just laughable you get a 4 games suspension for smoking weed. Ok if you're dumb enough and get caught 4 times you deserve it (Hello Sheldon), but it's totally different if you're doing something that don't gives you a competitive advantage at all or if you're cheating (probably for years!). Even if he there's no 100% proof, but that fact you denied any cooperation (which you have to) should alone get you a 4 game suspension. It's the same if a player is up for a drug test and he's not showing up. After the third time the league is sayin OK you're getting a 4 game suspension and the player would say then "Hey I fight the suspension because there's no proof I ever took drugs..."

It seems like the suspension will be overturned or reduced to a game at most. So at this point, all I hope is that Brady be required to accept he cheated. Then, it doesn't really matter if he sits a game or not.

Thanks for the clarification. But even if the guy is a Pats homer, did you notice these two lines in the piece:

"The NFLPA and Brady are prepared to fight the suspension tooth and nail if it's upheld but, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, have had discussions with the NFL about a settlement.

However, it might be a long shot. Florio also reports "no progress has been made" and "it would be unexpected" if the two sides reached a deal."

If even a Pats homer feels reducing the penalty is a long shot, I'm feeling pretty good the 4-game suspension will stand.

The line that stuck out for me was the editorial "unduly harsh initial punishment" which insinuates both his opinion of the punishment ("unduly") and that he feels it will get reversed by sticking the word "initial" in there.

He cheated, they know he cheated, they know he got others to help him cheat, and then failed to cooperate with the investigation. AND it's not exactly virgin territory for Brady or the Patriots.

The line that stuck out for me was the editorial "unduly harsh initial punishment" which insinuates both his opinion of the punishment ("unduly") and that he feels it will get reversed by sticking the word "initial" in there.

He cheated, they know he cheated, they know he got others to help him cheat, and then failed to cooperate with the investigation. AND it's not exactly virgin territory for Brady or the Patriots.

Absolutely. That stuck out for me as well. It is simply incredible how often personal opinions of an author are slipped into a piece as if that opinion was simply being reported as established fact. It's outrageous.

I feel this whole scenario should put Brady in a class with Pete Rose and ARod.  

The Pats continual cheating has hurt the NFL.  I am a long time fan of the game but this has hurt the game.

It is graceful.

Wires, jamming communications, taping and altering equipment are par for the course for these "winners".

People don't understand this lawlessness has impacted more than football.  Folks act like if I can get away with something I should do it!!

Look at what happened to this White Man here in America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQp8If_vS3k

No the Pats are not responsible for the above but they are responsible for a portion of the attitude that if you can get away with something you should do it.  Cause you are a "winner".

No you shouldn't and there are consequences for avoiding the rules that we all set up to protect each other.

Ok sorry about the RANT but I just can't take the Pats cheating anymore...

Is anyone surprised about trying to settle- the NFL does not want to have to go to court if they do not have to- and Brady and or the union will take them to court. will they hold their ground is the question

Is anyone surprised about trying to settle- the NFL does not want to have to go to court if they do not have to- and Brady and or the union will take them to court. will they hold their ground is the question

Unless Brady agrees to accept some games, it will go to court. I still think 2 game settlement is the likely outcome.

+ 999999999

Cheating & trying to hide your cheating should receive a Lance Armstrong penalty ... The BS that was handed down in this case was the polar opposite of "unduly harsh"

It's just laughable you get a 4 games suspension for smoking weed. Ok if you're dumb enough and get caught 4 times you deserve it (Hello Sheldon), but it's totally different if you're doing something that don't gives you a competitive advantage at all or if you're cheating (probably for years!). Even if he there's no 100% proof, but that fact you denied any cooperation (which you have to) should alone get you a 4 game suspension. It's the same if a player is up for a drug test and he's not showing up. After the third time the league is sayin OK you're getting a 4 game suspension and the player would say then "Hey I fight the suspension because there's no proof I ever took drugs..."

Excellent post and points!!

I still don't get how a multiple superbowl winning quarterback could not have known that the balls were under inflated.  If he did know, did he say anything about it?  If he knew and said nothing, then he's an accomplice. If he knew and said something, then why not speak up about it?  Or maybe he asked for them to be under inflated.  

If Brady is talking settlement, isn't that an admission of guilt?

Brady is NOT talking settlement. He is against ANY settlement that even suggests he had anything to do with deflating footballs. Which is a joke on its face, as he has NEVER come out strongly protesting his innocence. Brady has got a big surprise coming to him when the court asks him to produce his cell phone records - just like the league office did. Otherwise the two bozo's who argued back and forth in text messages will hang him out to dry. He thinks that because he doesn't have to testify on his own behalf that the charges can't be proven. He should simply do as his owner did and realize he's been caught, admit it, take your punishment and move on. He thinks he can "save his legacy" well I have got news for Tom Brady. Your legacy is ALWAYS going to be tied with cheating, because your owner did it, your HC did it and now you did it. The other 31 owners in the league WANT you punished and shown that you can't get away with 'getting an edge' when it breaks the rules.

I still don't get how a multiple superbowl winning quarterback could not have known that the balls were under inflated.  If he did know, did he say anything about it?  If he knew and said nothing, then he's an accomplice. If he knew and said something, then why not speak up about it?  Or maybe he asked for them to be under inflated.  

At least three former QB's were tested on this and they ALL knew immediately which ball was underinflated and which was not. Brady doesn't have a leg to stand on and is hoping against hope that the court overturns his suspension, which I find unlikely as they will ask about his cell phone records as well.

I just want those SOB's to have to play on an even playing field. Let's see their fumble stats over the next couple of years. The zerbras are not going to be so liberal with the "holding" calls either. All the AFCE D-Lines are like Murders row. It may be more fun this year watching football.

Archived