OL dept. ...can we squeeze another year out of aging unit ? ? ?

kelly

. The Jets can't afford to be wrong about Carpenter; the "Porsche" will break down if there's an oil leak at both guard positions -- a reference, of course, to Colon's recent analogy for the offense.

The Porsche is in the body shop getting it's grill repaired..:D

Spot on you have your bored trust it. Reaching for a player weeks you roster. Opens you to more criticism when a player busts. 

Thoroughly disagree. BAP is the only way to go, especially early in the draft. In retrospect it's looking even more brilliant with Sheldon suspended, and maybe suspended some more. A potential couple OL in a rather weak OL draft would've been a horrendous move. By drafting their strength, they'll be in a position to trade a great DL as part of a package to acquire a starting QB - potentially. And they can still get their OL next year. 

s

Thoroughly disagree. BAP is the only way to go, especially early in the draft. In retrospect it's looking even more brilliant with Sheldon suspended, and maybe suspended some more. A potential couple OL in a rather weak OL draft would've been a horrendous move. By drafting their strength, they'll be in a position to trade a great DL as part of a package to acquire a starting QB - potentially. And they can still get their OL next year. 

ok

@RichCimini #jetsmail 1-5 is set on Oline who are 3 or 4 Backups on the O line.

@RichCimini :  You're right, the starting unit is set. I'd say the top backups are Ben Ijalana, Brian Winters, Wesley Johnson and Brent Qvale. Oday Aboushi is in serious jeopardy of getting cut. Rookie Jarvis Harrison isn't one of the top nine, but he could make it because he's a draft pick.

rest of above article :  
> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53570/did-old-questions-about-jets-wr-jeremy-kerley-resurface-with-new-staff

-- The New York Jets' right-guard competition turned out to be as competitive as last summer's quarterback charade between Geno Smith and Michael Vick.After sitting out the first few days of training camp with knee soreness, incumbent Willie Colon grabbed the starting job, placed it in a Kung Fu grip and refused to let go.

On Tuesday, Todd Bowles made it official, naming Colon the opening-day starter. It was the right move. It was the only move, as neither Brian Winters nor Brent Qvale did enough to overtake Colon, 32, who still brings the nasty after all these years."He was more aggressive out of the ones that were competing for the position," Bowles said. "He wanted it more. He came out and played like it. And he proved it. He came back to camp in shape. He played like he wanted it more. He was the hungriest. He's shown that he didn't bust as many assignments as the rest of them. He played tougher and he played more physical than the rest of them."

Winters, a third-round pick in 2013, isn't a lock to make the team. He didn't receive a glowing endorsement from Bowles, who said Winters is the backup right guard "right now." Qvale has no regular-season experience, but he has some value because he can play guard and tackle.Colon, who grew up in the Bronx, brings a Bronx mentality to the offensive line. He's tough, physical and loud. He still can be an effective player as long as he avoids penalties. In 2014, he committed a team-high 14 penalties, plus two declined. The other concern is his health; he's playing on creaky knees.

"When you're in a camp battle, if you don't maximize the opportunity, the next guy will," Colon said. "I never, not one time, felt comfortable. I just didn't. Qvale had a really, really good camp, honestly. Brian was coming along. When you've got those two young dogs nipping at your heels, you've got no time to say, 'Woe is me' or worry about your injuries. I just flat out wanted to be out there with Brick and Nick, Carp and BG" -- a reference to linemates D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, James Carpenter and Breno Giacomini. "I had to show up in a major way."

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53733/willie-colon-wins-jets-right-guard-competition-in-a-runaway

I don't know whether to give Colon a pat on the back for winning the job or to shake my head with sadness that we don;t have anyone better.  We have been trying to get rid of him for at least two years now.

I think we have the type of line that will hold up against medium to low end dlines but we will have to game plan like crazy vs the top end dlines and pass rushers, RT is an issue for me as much as anything.

Give him a pat on the back.

In a recent interview Colon said that training camp was more competitive and that the coaching staff was working the players harder than in past years. He seemed to like that and has responded well, by working harder and playing better. Basically, Todd Bowles has snapped a knot in his ass and it worked.

pish posh... Brady, Manning, Rodgers... all these guys enjoy their best seasons when they are playing behind top OLs. Having a great OL should be an annual goal. It dictates the ceiling for the offense, and in today's NFL that often dictates how exposed the defense will be also... 

those lines look good because of the QB. Eli won the SB with a guard David Diehl playing left tackle. The Pats line is perpetually in shambles. Nate Solder is not as good as DBrick. The difference is the QB. 

those lines look good because of the QB. Eli won the SB with a guard David Diehl playing left tackle. The Pats line is perpetually in shambles. Nate Solder is not as good as DBrick. The difference is the QB. 

watching the jets/giants game you see how fitz makes it a point to get the ball out quick, and after watching geno for 2 yrs you see how the oline all of a sudden looks so much better when you have 4 of the 5 same guys blocking.  

I am very happy to have Carpenter as our LG.  Always wanted a bunch of 300lb hogs out there running opposing DLs down into submission during the 4th quarter and Carpenter is HUGE!!!!

As for Colon, i think there was more of a worry of him staying healthy at his age and the way he plays the game.  Only worry besides that for Colon is penalties, he definately plays to the edge and sometimes gets flagged for stepping over that fine line.  Almost seems like once a game his number is called.  As far as play though, I love seeing Colon finish a block by pancaking a DL or LB, you know he gets off on that sh!t.

watching the jets/giants game you see how fitz makes it a point to get the ball out quick, and after watching geno for 2 yrs you see how the oline all of a sudden looks so much better when you have 4 of the 5 same guys blocking.  

that's a good point especially as it pertains to pass protection

but I would take it a step further and say this Jets line, in 2015, isn't aging and mediocre. They are actually pretty good. 

Check out the Convoy for Zac Stacy 

http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/GAME_HIGHLIGHT/in-game-highlight/NFLCOM/PRE/3/150829_ghl_pwk3_cmp_nyj_stacy_24yd_td_281773_3200k.mp4

And the big hole for Chris Ivory 

http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/NFL_COM/in-game-highlight/NFLCOM/PRE/2/150821_CMP_NYJ_Ivory_coasts_td_276237_3200k.mp4

That's what quality OL play looks like. The Jets OL is actually a strength of this team. 

that's a good point especially as it pertains to pass protection

but I would take it a step further and say this Jets line, in 2015, isn't aging and mediocre. They are actually pretty good. 

Check out the Convoy for Zac Stacy 

http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/GAME_HIGHLIGHT/in-game-highlight/NFLCOM/PRE/3/150829_ghl_pwk3_cmp_nyj_stacy_24yd_td_281773_3200k.mp4

And the big hole for Chris Ivory 

http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/NFL_COM/in-game-highlight/NFLCOM/PRE/2/150821_CMP_NYJ_Ivory_coasts_td_276237_3200k.mp4

That's what quality OL play looks like. The Jets OL is actually a strength of this team. 

most of the offense is veteran, though they'll have young blood at wr with enunwa and devin.  amaro is a big waste so far.

i predict they go qb or OT in the first round next draft, and may also sign a T in FA.  they could use another lb but overall there aren't many holes to fill, just a few big ones.

Archived