Wild Horses

SoFlaJets

This is my friend Glen and myself doing a cover version of The Stones' Wild Horses, some say that perhaps Gram Parsons had a hand in writing this (but was never paid) and I wouldn't doubt it-considering what they did to that kid from The Verve for using an idea that Andrew Loog Oldham had in making a string recording of The Last Time and Richard Ashcroft turned it into the great Bittersweet Symphony. Do you guys know that Jagger and Richards through their team of lawyers demanded AND GOT 100% of the money ever garnered from sales of that song? I mean come on guys, you could have split it with the kid with all the money you guys have and all.

Anyway they ain't getting one red cent from either Glen or me for us stealing Wild Horses from them and recording it down here at Echo Studios in Wellington Fl. Tell me if it sucks real bad or what.

I'm playing two different acoustic guitar tracks (one tuned to the famous Nashville tuning method-look it up) and one regular while Glen is playing one of his 29 electric guitars on the lead and harmony vox.

http://minicasts.podomatic.com/play/2079957/7684184

Nicely done. I never understood The Stones taking 100% of the earnings from bittersweet symphony, but I guess that's the business.  One of my all-time favorite songs and their run of Beggars Banquet through Exile has to be the best four album stretch of any band.  I've been listening to Sweet Virginia on repeat recently; I know the band never care much for it, but I absolutely love it. Good vibe to put on when everyone's getting good and sauced. 

Nicely done. I never understood The Stones taking 100% of the earnings from bittersweet symphony, but I guess that's the business.  One of my all-time favorite songs and their run of Beggars Banquet through Exile has to be the best four album stretch of any band.  I've been listening to Sweet Virginia on repeat recently; I know the band never care much for it, but I absolutely love it. Good vibe to put on when everyone's getting good and sauced. 

I can listen to I Just Want to See His Face for hours. Such a brilliant piece of song writing by the whole band. About 8 different genres of music blended into less than 3 minutes. That's how you write a song.

I can listen to I Just Want to See His Face for hours. Such a brilliant piece of song writing by the whole band. About 8 different genres of music blended into less than 3 minutes. That's how you write a song.

Definitely, such an awesome tune. It's a shame that younger generations don't realize just how f*cking amazing and influential these guys were, as they only see the strutting around Mick than the badass Mick from the 60s and 70s.  I went to a show back in 2004, just because they were always on my bucket list to see; great show, great energy, but it was just a greatest hits show and the entire crowd were all rock n roll tourists. It felt like rock n roll disneyworld. 

Cool story about JWSHF that I read last year from one of Bobby Whitlock's books: "I am playing the electric piano on this song~The whole thing came from Mick asking me about my Dad being a preacher and if I could play a gospel feel~This was the results~I cranked the vibrato on it and started playing, and Mick Taylor started playing the bass and Charlie started playing the drums and Mick Jagger was sing "I don't want to talk about Jesus, I just want to see his face"   I dunno if it's true or not, but Whitlock always seemed like a standup dude, not sure he'd have any reason to lie. Although I've read a ton of Stones' and rock n roll biographies and those guys were so out of it while recording, it's a wonder they knew who was and wasn't on the album.

Definitely, such an awesome tune. It's a shame that younger generations don't realize just how f*cking amazing and influential these guys were, as they only see the strutting around Mick than the badass Mick from the 60s and 70s.  I went to a show back in 2004, just because they were always on my bucket list to see; great show, great energy, but it was just a greatest hits show and the entire crowd were all rock n roll tourists. It felt like rock n roll disneyworld. 

Cool story about JWSHF that I read last year from one of Bobby Whitlock's books: "I am playing the electric piano on this song~The whole thing came from Mick asking me about my Dad being a preacher and if I could play a gospel feel~This was the results~I cranked the vibrato on it and started playing, and Mick Taylor started playing the bass and Charlie started playing the drums and Mick Jagger was sing "I don't want to talk about Jesus, I just want to see his face"   I dunno if it's true or not, but Whitlock always seemed like a standup dude, not sure he'd have any reason to lie. Although I've read a ton of Stones' and rock n roll biographies and those guys were so out of it while recording, it's a wonder they knew who was and wasn't on the album.

The thing I enjoy about rock from that era is that all of the bands borrowed from each other and different genres and eras. Zeppelin with all the Willie Dixon covers, for example.

Even in the 90s, which I think is just as good an era, you didn't see bands seeking out stuff from a diverse array of genres like that. Everything was so punk and indie oriented. Hip hop of course went all over the place, but that's a different story. The 60s and 70s though, all of those all-time great albums have everything from jazz to blues to even Afrobeat and whatnot. Rock musicians were willing to take a lot more chances. I don't think that's necessarily the fault of artists today, because getting a deal requires you to make changes otherwise you'll wind up like The Wrens, but still, what a time that was for art.

The thing I enjoy about rock from that era is that all of the bands borrowed from each other and different genres and eras. Zeppelin with all the Willie Dixon covers, for example.

Even in the 90s, which I think is just as good an era, you didn't see bands seeking out stuff from a diverse array of genres like that. Everything was so punk and indie oriented. Hip hop of course went all over the place, but that's a different story. The 60s and 70s though, all of those all-time great albums have everything from jazz to blues to even Afrobeat and whatnot. Rock musicians were willing to take a lot more chances. I don't think that's necessarily the fault of artists today, because getting a deal requires you to make changes otherwise you'll wind up like The Wrens, but still, what a time that was for art.

I think we're dealing alot more with the short attention spanned check FB, check Instagram, be doing anything other than what I'm doing right now generation.  I played a private show Saturday and there were a ton of 20-25 year olds.  It amazed me how they literally talk face to face while staring into their phones texting, checking statuses, etc...  People just don't have the attention span for the most part to allow bands to experiment.  Take the Dead as an extreme example (mainly because I play in a Dead tribute band as well lol).  The Dead would go on those long extended jams all the time.  They weren't planned, they were "experiments".  Sometimes magic would come of it and be incorporated into new or existing songs down the line.  I look at the jam they added into Eyes of the World at 74 Winterland, that came from an earlier long experimental jam.  Conversenly sometimes they would train wreck completely.  The point is the fans allowed it.  They had the attention span to come along for the ride in the hopes of finding magic.  They had the attention span to listen to Page fooling around with a violin bow.  Clapton on a 20 minute coke fueled solo on Let It Rain.  Man I just saw Tedeschi Trucks recently with my wife.  I couldn't believe how many times she would peek at her FB, look through texts, etc and we're older!  But she's into this new pop crap though.  But in my head I was like the phone gets shut off, everything around me gets shut off, I'm focused on the magic being made on the stage that I paid good money to see lol!

Nowadays you don't get that leeway. I look at the dude from Muse, forgive me I can't think of his name.  Buried beneath the electronica and orchestration of all their songs is a friggin masterful guitarist and bassist as well.  I would absolutely love to hear both of them take a song "out there" to see what comes of it.  But I just don't think their main fanbase will really go for it, so they keep most of their songs to 5 minutes.  I'm sure with all the new equipment and home recording options thwe amount of experimenting at home is probably at it's highest peek ever, but nobody's taking it outside anymore.  It's kinda sad. 

Here you go Snell-this is after I first learned it, now I use a D harmonica and play it in the original G major key it sounds better with the harmonica playing the lick then the guitar one I do here.

The big difference is for some reason there were just better songs being written between 1965-1980 than there have been in the 35 years since oh yea on edit, you'll notice that I don't use the words that damn the Creator, I found it doesn't work for me to show that disrespect, I'm a little superstitious that way

Here you go Snell-this is after I first learned it, now I use a D harmonica and play it in the original G major key it sounds better with the harmonica playing the lick then the guitar one I do here.

The big difference is for some reason there were just better songs being written between 1965-1980 than there have been in the 35 years since oh yea on edit, you'll notice that I don't use the words that damn the Creator, I found it doesn't work for me to show that disrespect, I'm a little superstitious that way

Very cool bro! 

I think we're dealing alot more with the short attention spanned check FB, check Instagram, be doing anything other than what I'm doing right now generation.  I played a private show Saturday and there were a ton of 20-25 year olds.  It amazed me how they literally talk face to face while staring into their phones texting, checking statuses, etc...  People just don't have the attention span for the most part to allow bands to experiment.  Take the Dead as an extreme example (mainly because I play in a Dead tribute band as well lol).  The Dead would go on those long extended jams all the time.  They weren't planned, they were "experiments".  Sometimes magic would come of it and be incorporated into new or existing songs down the line.  I look at the jam they added into Eyes of the World at 74 Winterland, that came from an earlier long experimental jam.  Conversenly sometimes they would train wreck completely.  The point is the fans allowed it.  They had the attention span to come along for the ride in the hopes of finding magic.  They had the attention span to listen to Page fooling around with a violin bow.  Clapton on a 20 minute coke fueled solo on Let It Rain.  Man I just saw Tedeschi Trucks recently with my wife.  I couldn't believe how many times she would peek at her FB, look through texts, etc and we're older!  But she's into this new pop crap though.  But in my head I was like the phone gets shut off, everything around me gets shut off, I'm focused on the magic being made on the stage that I paid good money to see lol!

Nowadays you don't get that leeway. I look at the dude from Muse, forgive me I can't think of his name.  Buried beneath the electronica and orchestration of all their songs is a friggin masterful guitarist and bassist as well.  I would absolutely love to hear both of them take a song "out there" to see what comes of it.  But I just don't think their main fanbase will really go for it, so they keep most of their songs to 5 minutes.  I'm sure with all the new equipment and home recording options thwe amount of experimenting at home is probably at it's highest peek ever, but nobody's taking it outside anymore.  It's kinda sad. 

It's a different generation, sure, but I think the 'damn kids' retort is off the mark. The problem is in today's music world is that it's ridiculously hard to have something objectively great put in front of you because it's a lot harder to find than in eras past. There's just so much, SO MUCH music available 24 hours a day now, and that's on top of all the other sh*t you have thrown at you all day. For a guy in his 30s I consider myself pretty up on newer stuff, and even I can't keep up with all of it anymore. You've got 10-15 studio albums dropping per week now in just the major genres alone. That never used to happen. There are still great, complete albums coming out every year by great musicians, but they are much harder to find than they used to be.

For me I think it's more a combo of that and companies trying to turn a profit in the midst of it all, which is no easy feat in the streaming age. A 3-minute pop song riddled with power chords and overly dramatic lyrics about overcoming adversity turns a higher profit than a 10-minute prog song, so that's what studios push new talent towards.

It's a different generation, sure, but I think the 'damn kids' retort is off the mark. The problem is in today's music world is that it's ridiculously hard to have something objectively great put in front of you because it's a lot harder to find than in eras past. There's just so much, SO MUCH music available 24 hours a day now, and that's on top of all the other sh*t you have thrown at you all day. For a guy in his 30s I consider myself pretty up on newer stuff, and even I can't keep up with all of it anymore. You've got 10-15 studio albums dropping per week now in just the major genres alone. That never used to happen. There are still great, complete albums coming out every year by great musicians, but they are much harder to find than they used to be.

For me I think it's more a combo of that and companies trying to turn a profit in the midst of it all, which is no easy feat in the streaming age. A 3-minute pop song riddled with power chords and overly dramatic lyrics about overcoming adversity turns a higher profit than a 10-minute prog song, so that's what studios push new talent towards.

I didn't mean to give off the "damn kids" vibe in my post.  I don't think it's their fault.  Look at adults, it's the same thing.  Faces buried in devices while the world passes them by. It definitely is hard for good music to make money these days, I agree.  Therefore it's hard for good bands/musicians to stay together.  I think your last point about pumping out 5 minute 3 chord songs with dramatic lyrics being easier to sell hits the nail on the head. 

I didn't mean to give off the "damn kids" vibe in my post. I don't think it's their fault. Look at adults, it's the same thing. Faces buried in devices while the world passes them by. It definitely is hard for good music to make money these days, I agree. Therefore it's hard for good bands/musicians to stay together. I think your last point about pumping out 5 minute 3 chord songs with dramatic lyrics being easier to sell hits the nail on the head.

No I agree to a degree. I go to a couple shows a month still, and every show it's the same thing. At least 1/4 of he crowd, of every age, is watching the show through their phones. Like hey, you know the resolution through your eyes is way better right?

I think we're dealing alot more with the short attention spanned check FB, check Instagram, be doing anything other than what I'm doing right now generation. I played a private show Saturday and there were a ton of 20-25 year olds. It amazed me how they literally talk face to face while staring into their phones texting, checking statuses, etc... People just don't have the attention span for the most part to allow bands to experiment. Take the Dead as an extreme example (mainly because I play in a Dead tribute band as well lol). The Dead would go on those long extended jams all the time. They weren't planned, they were "experiments". Sometimes magic would come of it and be incorporated into new or existing songs down the line. I look at the jam they added into Eyes of the World at 74 Winterland, that came from an earlier long experimental jam. Conversenly sometimes they would train wreck completely. The point is the fans allowed it. They had the attention span to come along for the ride in the hopes of finding magic. They had the attention span to listen to Page fooling around with a violin bow. Clapton on a 20 minute coke fueled solo on Let It Rain. Man I just saw Tedeschi Trucks recently with my wife. I couldn't believe how many times she would peek at her FB, look through texts, etc and we're older! But she's into this new pop crap though. But in my head I was like the phone gets shut off, everything around me gets shut off, I'm focused on the magic being made on the stage that I paid good money to see lol!

Nowadays you don't get that leeway. I look at the dude from Muse, forgive me I can't think of his name. Buried beneath the electronica and orchestration of all their songs is a friggin masterful guitarist and bassist as well. I would absolutely love to hear both of them take a song "out there" to see what comes of it. But I just don't think their main fanbase will really go for it, so they keep most of their songs to 5 minutes. I'm sure with all the new equipment and home recording options thwe amount of experimenting at home is probably at it's highest peek ever, but nobody's taking it outside anymore. It's kinda sad.

you're looking in the wrong places, improv rock is as vibrant a scene now as it's ever been... lots of kiddies at shows too

you're looking in the wrong places, improv rock is as vibrant a scene now as it's ever been... lots of kiddies at shows too

Feel free to share.  I'm always up for new music.  I am down with the jam scene, some of which I like some I don't.  I just saw Tedeschi Trucks this past weekend, they were practically playing in my backyard.  Doyle Bramhall II was there as well, that dude was amazing! 

Feel free to share.  I'm always up for new music.  I am down with the jam scene, some of which I like some I don't.  I just saw Tedeschi Trucks this past weekend, they were practically playing in my backyard.  Doyle Bramhall II was there as well, that dude was amazing! 

You live in NJ? Near Philly or NYC?

Just saw Primus last weekend, great show. Umphreys McGee the weekend before that

You live in NJ? Near Philly or NYC?

Just saw Primus last weekend, great show. Umphreys McGee the weekend before that

Yes I do, dead central Jersey.  The Quick Check Readington Balloon Fest was literally 5 minutes from my house.  I guess I should accept some blame.  I am a bit older now, almost 40 with 2 young kids so I really don't get the chance to see alot of these bands live like I used to. Plus it seems that festivals are real big now on the jam scene, and given my family situation I can't just up and leave for a fun drug filled weekend lol (though I'd love to).  I miss out on alot though because of it.  I've always dug Umphries.  Felt Moe. was a little overrated.  I was a HUGE String Cheese Incident fan back in the late 90's eary 2000's before Nershi left.  Would love to catch them again sometime.  sh*t man, I am so old I remember (hazily so) the days of the Wetlands going to see God Street Wine, Blues Travelers, Robert Randolph.  I miss those days. 

Yes I do, dead central Jersey.  The Quick Check Readington Balloon Fest was literally 5 minutes from my house.  I guess I should accept some blame.  I am a bit older now, almost 40 with 2 young kids so I really don't get the chance to see alot of these bands live like I used to. Plus it seems that festivals are real big now on the jam scene, and given my family situation I can't just up and leave for a fun drug filled weekend lol (though I'd love to).  I miss out on alot though because of it.  I've always dug Umphries.  Felt Moe. was a little overrated.  I was a HUGE String Cheese Incident fan back in the late 90's eary 2000's before Nershi left.  Would love to catch them again sometime.  sh*t man, I am so old I remember (hazily so) the days of the Wetlands going to see God Street Wine, Blues Travelers, Robert Randolph.  I miss those days. 

haha, me too man.. God street wine, that brings back memories.. yeah I don't do many festy's, usually just catch the solo stuff in bars/theatres. I'm closer to philly and there's an improv rock show almost every weekend. JRAD is another good one to catch, saw them about a month ago. UM was a the Stone Pony summer stage last friday w/lettuce (another decent band), guessing like 5k people there. Great show and over by 10:30 ;)

nice man. Good voice, I'm jealous, I play piano & guitar but can't sing worth a sh*t.. Really sucks 

haha, me too man.. God street wine, that brings back memories.. yeah I don't do many festy's, usually just catch the solo stuff in bars/theatres. I'm closer to philly and there's an improv rock show almost every weekend. JRAD is another good one to catch, saw them about a month ago. UM was a the Stone Pony summer stage last friday w/lettuce (another decent band), guessing like 5k people there. Great show and over by 10:30 ;)

My friend was at that UM/Lettuce show and killing me for not going!  I regret that one.  JRAD is really good.  I like that they are not trying to completely copy the Dead, they definitely add their own spin.  Kind of why I'm not so big on DSO.  I played with Lo from GSW a couple times.   He's a really cool dude, very talented musician.  He actually just played with Aaron this past weekend at Mexicali Blues.  Yet another I couldn't make lol. 

My friend was at that UM/Lettuce show and killing me for not going!  I regret that one.  JRAD is really good.  I like that they are not trying to completely copy the Dead, they definitely add their own spin.  Kind of why I'm not so big on DSO.  I played with Lo from GSW a couple times.   He's a really cool dude, very talented musician.  He actually just played with Aaron this past weekend at Mexicali Blues.  Yet another I couldn't make lol. 

that's the guitarist, right?

Lo is the short guy from GSW. Aaron is the bigger guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cool! other good bands I've seen this year... Lotus, Govt Mule, Disco Biscuits, Twiddle, STS9, Penguins Playing Ping Pong, werks... all a good time, there's more that i can't remember right now + just booked my tickets to see Phish on CO over labor day

cool! other good bands I've seen this year... Lotus, Govt Mule, Disco Biscuits, Twiddle, STS9, Penguins Playing Ping Pong, werks... all a good time, there's more that i can't remember right now + just booked my tickets to see Phish on CO over labor day

Very cool man, you get around! You have kids yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived