Bowles Gets a Honeymoon, But it Will be Short

flgreen

Todd Bowles gets a honeymoon, but it'll be shorter than most

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

With his first training camp as an NFL head coach fast approaching, Todd Bowles reached out Sunday to one of his mentors, Bill Parcells. The conversation wasn't football-centric, per se, but the Hall of Fame coach left Bowles with a piece of advice as he prepares to attack one of the sport's lightning-rod jobs -- HC of the New York Jets.

"The last thing I said to him was, 'Your job right now is to get the right 53 on your team,'" Parcells said Monday.

If it were only that simple.

Unlike most first-year coaches, Bowles is stepping into a win-now project. This isn't a rebuilding situation, with a rookie quarterback, a green roster and modest expectations. The Jets have a veteran team and the highest cash payroll in the league ($165 million, according to ESPN Stats & Information), and you can bet owner Woody Johnson -- after four straight years out of the playoffs -- isn't dreaming of a .500 season.

Neither are the players. Stars such as Darrelle Revis and Brandon Marshall didn't come to the Jets to endure a season of growing pains from quarterback Geno Smith, as the two previous teams did. They're 30 and 31, respectively, so they understand that a better tomorrow isn't promised in the NFL. It creates an unusual dynamic for Bowles: a rookie coach leading a seasoned team.

"When you go into a season, you're trying to win a division and go to a Super Bowl, regardless of the pieces you have and don't have," Bowles said in a phone interview. "If you don't have that mindset coming in, as a player or coach, you don't need to be here.

"It's not 'win now,'" he added. "It's trying to win every year."

No one is predicting the Jets, coming off a 4-12 disaster, to win the AFC East -- but they're expected to be in the wild-card hunt. And they should be, considering the players they acquired in the offseason. There's no built-in alibis for Bowles in terms of the roster. He's not starting a rookie quarterback, as Rex Ryan did in 2009 with Mark Sanchez. He also isn't starting a surgically repaired quarterback, as Eric Mangini did with Chad Pennington in 2006. Bowles' two predecessors made the playoffs in their first season. Make that three, as Herm Edwards did it in 2001.

Can Bowles continue the trend?

"He's a pretty sharp guy. I don't think he'll get distracted," Parcells said. "He has a good player's mentality, meaning he has the ability to move on to the next play, so to speak. You can't get distracted in that job. That's one of the hardest things for inexperienced people to understand, but Todd is pretty focused and determined."

One of the encouraging signs about Bowles is that he seems immune to outside noise. He said he doesn't give a hoot about what people are saying and writing about his team, which leads you to believe he won't be affected by criticism. Some coaches say they operate in an impenetrable shell, but they're full of you-know-what because -- under stress -- they change and start acting as if they're listening to strange voices. In Bowles' case, you actually believe him.

An early concern, though, is whether he has the take-charge personality to command a room and lead a team. We've already established he's the anti-Rex, but that's hardly a strike against him. After all, how many championships has Ryan won with his bombastic style?

Nevertheless, Ryan was beloved by his players. The soft-spoken Bowles has to win them over with his own personality and approach. He's responsible for leading 53 men -- the right 53, as Parcells would say -- and making them into a cohesive, overachieving unit.

"Don't worry," said Parcells, who hired Bowles to his Dallas Cowboys coaching staff in 2005 and later brought him to the Miami Dolphins. "It may not be loud, but it will be to the point. He'll get his point across."

In his day, Parcells was loud and confrontational, traits he felt were necessary to do his job. Bowles is neither. He's a plain-talking coach who uses his words economically; he expects his players to listen the first time, regardless of the decibel level.

"I can't even come close to Bill or try to be Bill -- nor do I want to be," he said. "This is my first year, he's a legend. I'm trying to make my way, my own way in this league."

Defensively, the Jets will be just fine with Bowles; no need to worry about that. The greatest challenge will be on the offensive side of the ball -- specifically, navigating a potentially volatile quarterback controversy. Smith will open camp as the the first-team quarterback -- the first practice is Thursday -- but Ryan Fitzpatrick is lurking. The players are behind Smith, but they'll get impatient if his turnover issues resurface.

Handling a tense quarterback situation is one of the most important aspects of the job, especially in the New York market. It wasn't one of Ryan's strengths, and we saw what happened. No one knows if Bowles will be any better; this is uncharted territory. He will lean heavily on offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, 63, who returns to the NFL after a three-year hiatus.

"I really like Gailey, assuming he hasn't lost his fastball," a longtime personnel executive said. "He can coach around the quarterback. He won't let the quarterback lose games."

If the Jets can get past their quarterback issue -- OK, that's a big if -- they have January potential. If they're not at least 8-8, the season will be a disappointment, rookie coach and all. Yes, Bowles gets a honeymoon period. But, considering the circumstances, it's more like a half-moon.

We've already established he's the anti-Rex, but that's hardly a strike against him. After all, how many championships has Ryan won with his bombastic style?

Hmm depends on whether were counting the ones that lamestream trolls like you cost him, "DICK" Cimini

Hmm depends on whether were counting the ones that lamestream trolls like you cost him, "DICK" Cimini

Dammit, so it was the media costing us wins. I thought it was weaponz. I can never keep track. Too bad Mark couldn't play on a team with weaponz, an offensive minded coach and a media that didn't lose games for him.  I'm sure he'd kill. 

Hes not stepping into a win now team. We won 4 games last year and have no qb. Nobody is expecting this team to do anything until we find a qb.

Bowles seems to feel differently though...Jets spent a lot of money and the new head coach says every year you're trying to win the division and go to the Super Bowl.

Hes not stepping into a win now team. We won 4 games last year and have no qb. Nobody is expecting this team to do anything until we find a qb.

Amazing how this clown already attempts to put more pressure on Bowles, a first year HC, all this when the team was literally falling apart at the seams last year. 

The scary thing is there is a small group of Jets fans who will pick up and run with this nonsense and then complain that Bowles sucks because we didn't win a SB in his first year.

The only thing I know about Bowles is his defense stymied the Pats in Gillette when I watched them.

Cards offense was horrible but his defense made plays.

Coming from Arizona & working with Arians Todd has been through tough times as they were playing their 4th QB last year at one point.

Love the interview where he says he'll be spending a good amount of time with the offense.

Said Stacy Rogers knows what he wants from the defense to let him coach the whole team, something Rex had a lot of problems with.

I really like Bowles demeaner, I like coaches with quiet confidence, not a fan of coaches jumping around like idiots when another decision is imminent.

Todd Bowles gets a honeymoon, but it'll be shorter than most

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

This isn't a rebuilding situation, with a rookie quarterback, a green roster and modest expectations. The Jets have a veteran team and the highest cash payroll in the league ($165 million, according to ESPN Stats & Information), and you can bet owner Woody Johnson -- after four straight years out of the playoffs -- isn't dreaming of a .500 season.

Haha.  It's a win now team?  WTF?  They were 4-12 and a rookie QB would probably be a major step up.  According to this no playoffs and he is on the hot seat.  That is silly.

Parcells really thinks highly of Coach Bowles, makes me even more confident that he is indeed ready to lead a football team.

He loved Sparano too.

Makes me laugh we had a ton of cap, what are we going to do, wait till a franchise Quaterback turns up before you spend it! - The Jets have had a cap so close to the floor the last few years they had to max it out just to keep in the rules.

Any thing with Rich Cimini writing, must be taken with a big pinch of salt. He like to start the season with an agenda.

Bowles seems to feel differently though...Jets spent a lot of money and the new head coach says every year you're trying to win the division and go to the Super Bowl.

Every coach will tell you the same.

That said it doesn't mean that the team is in a playoff or championship or bust mode. The idiot totally ignores that they were 4-12 a year ago and the QB situation is still unsettled or unknown at this point.

Plus who's putting Bowles on the hot seat to win now? Who's going to judge when the honeymoon is over? Fans? Woody?

Or the most important judge, Dick Cimini?

The Jets added a bunch of new, better players. There was a great deal of Rex fatigue here, and Bowles brings a different personality to the head coaching spot - if not a lot of difference in coaching philosophy. I'm optimistic for improvement, but a little less optimistic about a playoff spot. Fans know what we have here at the QB spot. If it's the QB position that's holding the team back, I don't think the fans will take that out on Bowles - provided he moves on from Geno if he's seriously struggling.

The team improving where Rex was seen as lacking is the most important thing for Bowles. A better, more disciplined offense, and a defense that takes the ball away topping the list for me.

Woody didn't spend gazillions to win 6 games. Our issue wasn't JUST QB. It was the secondary and WR as well. We fixed both and should have a better QB play doing so.

If Bowles wins 6 games, his job won't be guaranteed for 2016.

Haha. It's a win now team? WTF? They were 4-12 and a rookie QB would probably be a major step up. According to this no playoffs and he is on the hot seat. That is silly.

He loved Sparano too.

See the post above. And we picked up "The Beard". He's supposed to be as good as Jesus while Geno is the "Anti-Christ".

Makes me laugh we had a ton of cap, what are we going to do, wait till a franchise Quaterback turns up before you spend it! - The Jets have had a cap so close to the floor the last few years they had to max it out just to keep in the rules.

Any thing with Rich Cimini writing, must be taken with a big pinch of salt. He like to start the season with an agenda.

Which years did we have cap "so close to the floor"? Besides 2014, I'd like to know which other year.

Every coach will tell you the same.

That said it doesn't mean that the team is in a playoff or championship or bust mode. The idiot totally ignores that they were 4-12 a year ago and the QB situation is still unsettled or unknown at this point.

Plus who's putting Bowles on the hot seat to win now? Who's going to judge when the honeymoon is over? Fans? Woody?

Or the most important judge, Dick Cimini?

They were 4-12 because this year's back up safety and no's 5 and 6 CB's were starting.  This team is infinitely more talented than last years group.  

Read an article from a former player/insider who said the Jets should make the playoffs and he'd be shocked if they don't win 10 games.

Raised expectations after the spending spree they just went on to import multiple pro-bowl players at key positions is going to raise expectations.

Do you think they took on the biggest payroll in the NFL to go from four wins to six?

They were 4-12 because this year's back up safety and no's 5 and 6 CB's were starting as the top corners.  This team is infinitely more talented than last years group.  

Read an article from a former player/insider who said the Jets should make the playoffs and he'd be shocked if they don't win 10 games.

Raised expectations after the spending spree they just went on to import multiple pro-bowl players at key positions is going to raise expectations.

Do you think they took on the biggest payroll in the NFL to go from four wins to six?

Probably want to say nobody should expect this team to do anything until we find a QB.

There are plenty of fans that think we can ground and pound and win with our D.

I even find myself smoking off that pipe for brief hallucinatory moments until I spit out the kool aide.  

Hope springs eternal - 

They will and should expect Bowles to have a top 3 defense unless they are on the field 75% of the time.

They were 4-12 because this year's back up safety and no's 5 and 6 CB's were starting.  This team is infinitely more talented than last years group.  

There's no need to tell that they're much more talented than a year ago. I got the memo. My point was that they're not in a win immediately or done mode.

We haven't been to the playoffs in four seasons now but the new coach, even to a few us in this thread, is "on the hot seat" if we are not SB bound...

Ummm madnesss...  utter madness....

A few of us should stick to madden and leave it at..

Good Grief!

The team will need continuity even if the QB play is crap. No matter how much money has been spent there has to period of time of adjustment. It would be hard for a coach with a decent QB to get to the playoffs his first year. People need to be realistic.

There's no need to tell that they're much more talented than a year ago. I got the memo. My point was that they're not in a win immediately or done mode.

Who said they were?

Ugh, thats the whole point of the Cimini article we're discussing?  That its going to be a short honeymoon.  

Hot seat and short honeymoon are two different things.  One means a firing is likely imminent, the other means the euphoria of a great offseason has worn off and people are disappointed.

I think multiple seasons of disappointment lead to the "hot seat" eventually, but no hot seat in year one unless this team comes out and gets blown out on  a regular basis and wins 1-2 games.

Hot seat and short honeymoon are two different things.  One means a firing is likely imminent, the other means the euphoria of a great offseason has worn off and people are disappointed.

I think multiple seasons of disappointment lead to the "hot seat" eventually, but no hot seat in year one unless this team comes out and gets blown out on  a regular basis and wins 1-2 games.

No they're I would think that anyone would consider them one in the same.  Not a big deal either way, close enough, whats the point

No they're I would think that anyone would consider them one in the same.  Not a big deal either way, close enough, whats the point

All a matter of opinion I suppose, but I feel like becoming unpopular and on the verge of being fired are two different things. 

I read the article a few times and didn't see anything that made me feel like Cimini was out of line.  He basically said the team is much improved so expectations should be higher than what they were for previous coaches who had less to work with.  More than fair IMO.

All a matter of opinion I suppose, but I feel like becoming unpopular and on the verge of being fired are two different things. 

I read the article a few times and didn't see anything that made me feel like Cimini was out of line.  He basically said the team is much improved so expectations should be higher than what they were for previous coaches who had less to work with.  More than fair IMO.

Talk radio, 24/7 sports all over, NY sports especially, its the way of the world now.  No one in NY gets time.  As long as it isnt meant as a year or two mandate to win, its fair.

Archived