Russell Wilson signed to new 4-year deal worth $87.6M

Jetsfan80

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13352599/quarterback-russell-wilson-close-agreement-seahawks

Russell Wilson reaches agreement on deal with Seahawks

Quarterback Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks have agreed to a four-year contract extension worth $87.6 million, sources confirmed to ESPN.

The terms were first reported by Sports Illustrated. 

The deal puts Wilson on par with Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who is the NFL's highest-paid player with a deal worth an average of $22 million annually.

Wilson, 26, was scheduled to make $1.54 million this season, the fourth and final year of his rookie contract. If he had not agreed to the new contract, Wilson faced being tagged as the franchise player next February.

Wilson commented on the deal Friday morning on Twitter.

Blessed to be w/ this organization for 4 more years! Can't wait to get on field w/ the fellas! @Seahawks #ChampionshipMindset

#GoHawks

— Russell Wilson (@DangeRussWilson) July 31, 2015

Wilson has led the Seahawks to back-to-back Super Bowl appearances and has orchestrated 15 comebacks in the fourth quarter or overtime since entering the NFL in 2012, the league's highest total over that stretch.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember when Reggie Jackson signed the first "multi-million dollar" deal in sports history with the Yankees? It was for 2.5 million over 5 years and everyone was flabbergasted that some could make a half a million dollars a year for playing a game?

That was also 70's money.

Remember when Reggie Jackson signed the first "multi-million dollar" deal in sports history with the Yankees? It was for 2.5 million over 5 years and everyone was flabbergasted that some could make a half a million dollars a year for playing a game?

Peoples lack of understanding of economics writ-large.

That era was an era of "Owners get everything, players get the leavings".

I'd like to think fans and observers are more knowledgeable now, and get how much revenue the league makes, and the resultant "why" behind why the players, especially the best players, get paid so much today.

I'd like to think fans and observers are more knowledgeable now, and get how much revenue the league makes, and the resultant "why" behind why the players, especially the best players, get paid so much today.

I understand that. Doesn't make it any less mindboggling to me that in less than 40 years we've gone from half a million dollars a year is an utter outrage to Russell Wilson is going to get paid annually more than twice what George Steinbrenner paid to buy the Yankees and no one bats an eye. 

I understand that. Doesn't make it any less mindboggling to me that in less than 40 years we've gone from half a million dollars a year is an utter outrage to Russell Wilson is going to get paid annually more than twice what George Steinbrenner paid to buy the Yankees and no one bats an eye. 

There is nothing to bat an eye at, my friend.

40 years is a very long time.  You could buy a mint luxury car for what, $3-5,000 then?

The same level of current top-of-line-luxury Car costs anywhere form $60-120,000 today.

Everything today costs a metric boatload more than it did 40 years ago.

How else do you think we manage to never default on our National Debts?  We devalue the currency/inflate prices regularly to ensure todays excessive debts are tomorrows pennies to pay back.

Our entire economy is based on this basic principle, frankly.  

Well deserved. 

Yes, and the Seahawks basically had to do it.  Doesn't stop me from thinking it will end badly for them.  They've had basically a perfect 53-man roster to put around Wilson while he was making peanuts.  They're going to have to become miracle workers to bring in similar talent with their QB now eating up about $18-20M in cap space every season.  Granted, the cap goes up to $170M by 2017, but that won't help them keep talent around since it goes up for the other 31 teams too.

In short, good luck Seattle.  I see them getting Flacco'd and still being a playoff contender, but no longer the force they were before.  Wilson's cap is maybe being the 4th best QB in the game, and that will only be because of the upcoming retirements of Manning, Brady, Brees and Big Ben.  He's a tier below Rodgers and Luck, and isn't the type that will be able to take an average roster and carry them to multiple playoff wins on his own.

Yes, and the Seahawks basically had to do it.  Doesn't stop me from thinking it will end badly for them.  They've had basically a perfect 53-man roster to put around Wilson while he was making peanuts.  They're going to have to become miracle workers to bring in similar talent with their QB now eating up about $18-20M in cap space every season.  Granted, the cap goes up to $170M by 2017, but that won't help them keep talent around since it goes up for the other 31 teams too.

In short, good luck Seattle.  I see them getting Flacco'd and still being a playoff contender, but no longer the force they were before.  Wilson's cap is maybe being the 4th best QB in the game, and that will only be because of the upcoming retirements of Manning, Brady, Brees and Big Ben.  He's a tier below Rodgers and Luck, and isn't the type that will be able to take an average roster and carry them to multiple playoff wins on his own.

This is the same problem that every team paying a franchise QB has. For all of the problems that they will face in the near future, one of them wont be QB. Thats not a bad position. 

This is the same problem that every team paying a franchise QB has. For all of the problems that they will face in the near future, one of them wont be QB. Thats not a bad position.

Certainly a prob we'd all pay to have

Certainly a prob we'd all pay to have

My simple argument is that Rodgers is good enough to make the contract he got worthwhile.  Luck's deal will be as well when he gets paid in '16.  Wilson's will not be. 

We'll see how important winning is to Wilson when he loses so much of the talent around him.  When Flacco got paid, he whined about not having people around him.  Duh.  When you overpay a QB with an inflated sense of value, that's what happens.

My simple argument is that Rodgers is good enough to make the contract he got worthwhile.  Luck's deal will be as well when he gets paid in '16.  Wilson's will not be. 

We'll see how important winning is to Wilson when he loses so much of the talent around him.  When Flacco got paid, he whined about not having people around him.  Duh.  When you overpay a QB with an inflated sense of value, that's what happens.

I disagree with this. I think Wilson is a top 5 QB type talent. And if I had to pick between Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck im going Russell Wilson. 

I know that the thought isn't a popular one but I think that Wilson is heavily discredited for his ability and intelligence given the other players on his team. At the end of the day, If you removed Rodgers, Luck and Wilson from their respective teams their teams wouldnt work. 

And until there's another good team in Luck's division I simply can't say that he's as good as others say he is when he beats up on the Titans/Jags and Texans 6 times a year. Dude is pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot. 

I disagree with this. I think Wilson is a top 5 QB type talent. And if I had to pick between Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck im going Russell Wilson. 

I know that the thought isn't a popular one but I think that Wilson is heavily discredited for his ability and intelligence given the other players on his team. At the end of the day, If you removed Rodgers, Luck and Wilson from their respective teams their teams wouldnt work. 

And until there's another good team in Luck's division I simply can't say that he's as good as others say he is when he beats up on the Titans/Jags and Texans 6 times a year. Dude is pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot. 

He's short.

My simple argument is that Rodgers is good enough to make the contract he got worthwhile. Luck's deal will be as well when he gets paid in '16. Wilson's will not be.

We'll see how important winning is to Wilson when he loses so much of the talent around him. When Flacco got paid, he whined about not having people around him. Duh. When you overpay a QB with an inflated sense of value, that's what happens.

What great receivers has Wilson had to play with before? The OL can't pass block either

I'm not saying Wilson isn't a really freaking good QB, in the top 5 neighborhood.  He's just not on the level of Rodgers and Luck.  I get the receiver/OL argument with Wilson, but he's had a top 3 running game every single season, similar to what Sanchez had in '09, only he's had that type of run game every year.  He's really only been asked to be a more aggressive version of Alex Smith and occasionally throw the deep ball and make plays with his feet.  Nothing wrong with being the game's best "game manager".  I just don't agree that that's worth $60M guaranteed.

Now he'll be asked for the first time to carry a team like Rodgers and Luck have already been doing.  I don't see it happening.

Very true, but the TV contracts weren't anywhere near the scale they are today either. There was no YES network paying Steinbrenner $100M per year (or the 1970s dollars equivalent of such) just for televising the games alone. George purchased the entire team for (net) $8.8M in 1973, not too long before Reggie's contract. So the deal Reggie got wasn't exactly leftover crumbs. That 1977 contract he got was $3M over 5 years, which is 1/3 of what the whole franchise sold for 4 years earlier. 

Today's equivalent, given Forbes' $3.2 billion valuation of the Yankees, would be over $200M per season. No one sniffs that amount.

So from a point of view, relative to what the team is/was worth, Reggie got a lot more then than the highest player gets now. 

Did Tanny suddenly become the GM of the Seahawks? When the Seahawks eventually have to go into rebuilding mode, he's going to become Sanchez version 2.0. He's a solid QB, but nowhere near worth $21m+ per year.

This is a crappy post let me help you.

6198831895_299ca081c1_z.jpg

I'm not saying Wilson isn't a really freaking good QB, in the top 5 neighborhood. He's just not on the level of Rodgers and Luck. I get the receiver/OL argument with Wilson, but he's had a top 3 running game every single season, similar to what Sanchez had in '09, only he's had that type of run game every year. He's really only been asked to be a more aggressive version of Alex Smith and occasionally throw the deep ball and make plays with his feet. Nothing wrong with being the game's best "game manager". I just don't agree that that's worth $60M guaranteed.

Now he'll be asked for the first time to carry a team like Rodgers and Luck have already been doing. I don't see it happening.

So 3500 yards passing and 850 yards rushing is what a game manager does?

So 3500 yards passing and 850 yards rushing is what a game manager does?

Yes.  Alex Smith threw for nearly 3,300 yards last year while playing in 1 fewer game.  Wilson is a rich man's Alex Smith with a lot better running abilities.  Again, Wilson is a top 10 QB.  Just not on the top tier. 

Yes.  Alex Smith threw for nearly 3,300 yards last year while playing in 1 fewer game.  Wilson is a rich man's Alex Smith with a lot better running abilities.  Again, Wilson is a top 10 QB.  Just not on the top tier. 

Wilson is just like Alex Smith except 20x better and can throw touchdown passes.

The hate on Russell Wilson is laughable. What I dont understand is, how does this logic always occur when it comes to Russell Wilson but Andrew Luck is some sort of Football god?

Im going to use your same logic here okay? 

Mike Glennon in 19 career games has a 29/15 TD/INT ratio. (widely considered a bum and not worth trading for by people who cant see talent)

Andrew Luck in first 19 games has a 26/19 TD/INT ratio. (considered the best young QB in the league yet sucks in the playoffs)

Andrew Luck is a rich mans Mike Glennon with alot more hype and a HC that actually lets him play. 

• 2 months later...

Archived