Russell Wilson signed to new 4-year deal worth $87.6M

Jetsfan80

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truthfully it's a dumb rule to be enforced in that situation. Maybe if there were 2 Lions players right there and he did it to make  they didn't pick it up. Uncontested like that? Would have been moronic to enforce. 

So while it's ridiculous that they don't know the rule, but it's a ridiculous rule on an uncontested play/move like he made, so it's just as well IMO. 

Truthfully it's a dumb rule to be enforced in that situation. Maybe if there were 2 Lions players right there and he did it to make  they didn't pick it up. Uncontested like that? Would have been moronic to enforce. 

So while it's ridiculous that they don't know the rule, but it's a ridiculous rule on an uncontested play/move like he made, so it's just as well IMO. 

****in wow

Steve Young is right, though. Punters and kickers do that all the time. It's one of those dumb rules that never gets called.

Yeah I wasn't moved by the old guy's claim that when a kicker or punter or QB does it that it IS a penalty but the penalty would have been a safety so it's a flag that gets automatically picked up, and therefore it's never actually thrown in the first place. That explanation was pretty weak, and Young and Hasselbeck seemed to only weakly accept his answer so as not to be disrespectful to a respected elder (now a ESPN-paid expert consultant) right to the guy's face on TV.  

He may be right on paper, but if it was always a penalty then no one knew it. And in the right situation I'll bet there were times a receiving team would have declined a penalty if it was called (and a flag was actually thrown). If I'm on the receiving team and say I'm losing by 6 points late in the game, I'd rather have great field position in the opponent's territory (good odds after a rushed, weak punt) than 2 useless points and taking over much farther away after the free kick. 

So I was kind of with them when their tone and facial expressions said they were given a BS answer. 

Also Lewis looked like he wanted to get out his white suit killing uniform because there were no clear repercussions for the officials making a major screw up. And any repercussions are useless anyway because the game got decided the wrong way (by the book). 

In this case it's just as well because making the right call, by the book, would have been criminal. 

Wilson left a ton of big plays out on the field last night by dinking and dunking and missed some wide open receivers for huge plays. He made some very nice plays, but he did not do enough. He was very fortunate to not lose this game because his defense is so good. If I were a Seattle fan, I would be nervous about whether or not Wilson is the kind of QB that can carry a team by himself without great talent around him, because that is how they are paying him. They should be 1-3 right now, and the Lions suck.

Wilson left a ton of big plays out on the field last night by dinking and dunking and missed some wide open receivers for huge plays. He made some very nice plays, but he did not do enough. He was very fortunate to not lose this game because his defense is so good. If I were a Seattle fan, I would be nervous about whether or not Wilson is the kind of QB that can carry a team by himself without great talent around him, because that is how they are paying him. They should be 1-3 right now, and the Lions suck.

Maybe it's about time the Seahawks give Tarvaris Jackson a shot.  Upside and whatnot.

Russell WIlson is a top QB in this league. 

Why dont you guys go talk about an actual overhyped QB such as Andrew Luck or something. 

Russell WIlson is a top QB in this league. 

Why dont you guys go talk about an actual overhyped QB such as Andrew Luck or something. 

Oh, I think Luck is incredibly overhyped, so his Wilson though. I would take Wilson over Luck, but nether is going to carry a team without talent around it like a Rodgers, Manning or Brady however.

Oh, I think Luck is incredibly overhyped, so his Wilson though. I would take Wilson over Luck, but nether is going to carry a team without talent around it like a Rodgers, Manning or Brady however.

Not every QB is Rodgers, Manning or Brady...that's why THEY ARE Rodgers Manning and Brady. Because you're not them doesnt make you less worthy of  credit. 

Thats the problem with the QB position. You get 3 QB's out of the 32 starting QB's in this league that are "one of a kind" type talents and the other 29 are unfairly compared. 

Wilson is one of the best QB's in the league, this is just a fact not overhype. 

Wilson is on pace to throw for 4,000 yards, 20 TD's, 8 Ints and 700 rushing yards. What people are looking for in QB's is Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning (prime) and Tom Brady. 

Russell Wilson is Russell Wilson and he's having a very good year so far. He's one of the best passers on the run, he's one of the best ball placement passers in all of football, matter of fact the only other QB that I would put ahead of him regarding ball placement on deep balls IS Aaron Rodgers. 

Russell Wilson is special. 

Not every QB is Rodgers, Manning or Brady...that's why THEY ARE Rodgers Manning and Brady. Because you're not them doesnt make you less worthy of  credit. 

Thats the problem with the QB position. You get 3 QB's out of the 32 starting QB's in this league that are "one of a kind" type talents and the other 29 are unfairly compared. 

Wilson is one of the best QB's in the league, this is just a fact not overhype. 

Wilson is on pace to throw for 4,000 yards, 20 TD's, 8 Ints and 700 rushing yards. What people are looking for in QB's is Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning (prime) and Tom Brady. 

Russell Wilson is Russell Wilson and he's having a very good year so far. He's one of the best passers on the run, he's one of the best ball placement passers in all of football, matter of fact the only other QB that I would put ahead of him regarding ball placement on deep balls IS Aaron Rodgers. 

Russell Wilson is special. 

All I said is he was lucky to get a win last night against a bad team at home. He had a bad fumble, and missed a lot of wide open receivers in favor of a dink or a dunk, and should have lost the game. He also had an atrocious game against GB in the NFCCG last year, and for as much as everyone wants to kill Carroll and Bevell for the playcall, and very rightfully so, he made a TERRIBLE pass that gets overlooked by the even worse call. With a timeout left, he absolutely cannot make that throw there. He HAS to put it where only his guy can get it, or it is incomplete, it was terrible.

BowlesMovement, you're never allowed to rip on Russell Wilson.  He's untouchable because he's a good guy.  So just go ahead and ignore that he's been surrounded by some of the game's best talent, whereas Andrew Luck plays for a slapd*ck organization and is basically the only person on his 53-man roster showing up to play consistently.

BowlesMovement, you're never allowed to rip on Russell Wilson.  He's untouchable because he's a good guy.  So just go ahead and ignore that he's been surrounded by some of the game's best talent, whereas Andrew Luck plays for a slapd*ck organization and is basically the only person on his 53-man roster showing up to play consistently.

Yup, he's untouchable. 

I think both guys are overhyped personally. Wilson is good, Luck is good, but the league and media so desperately want to make sure the next Manning, Brady and Rodgers are there so that when those guys are gone, they have them.

I still don't think Wilson is good enough to carry a team by himself. I put him in the Eli Manning category, maybe slightly better. Put a great team around him, he will win, put a bad team around him, he won't. And honestly, that is more than good enough because even that is better than what the majority of teams have. Hell, I would be moist if the Jets had a guy who fit into that category.

I think both guys are overhyped personally. Wilson is good, Luck is good, but the league and media so desperately want to make sure the next Manning, Brady and Rodgers are there so that when those guys are gone, they have them.

I still don't think Wilson is good enough to carry a team by himself. I put him in the Eli Manning category, maybe slightly better. Put a great team around him, he will win, put a bad team around him, he won't. And honestly, that is more than good enough because even that is better than what the majority of teams have. Hell, I would be moist if the Jets had a guy who fit into that category.

Basically Rodgers is in a category of his own, and everyone else is just competing to be # 2.

All I said is he was lucky to get a win last night against a bad team at home. He had a bad fumble, and missed a lot of wide open receivers in favor of a dink or a dunk, and should have lost the game. He also had an atrocious game against GB in the NFCCG last year, and for as much as everyone wants to kill Carroll and Bevell for the playcall, and very rightfully so, he made a TERRIBLE pass that gets overlooked by the even worse call. With a timeout left, he absolutely cannot make that throw there. He HAS to put it where only his guy can get it, or it is incomplete, it was terrible.

Yeah, look at that NFCCG last year. Perfect example of "Its not how you start, but how you finish". And that pass by Wilson in the SB shouldnt have even been called, but even so it wasnt a bad pass as it was just an all-world play by Butler to literally go through the receiver for that interception. Ricardo Lockett didnt want that reception as much as Butler wanted that INT. 

And thats not all that you said, you mentioned how if you were a Seahawks fan you would be worried. Thats what I found a problem with. Last night wasnt Wilson's best game but overall if you look at what he's put together for the 1st quarter of the season collectively he's having a very good season and is having a career season in terms of passing yards. 

Thats funny. You write this statement above, yet you just compared Wilson to those very men. I dont compare overall talent of Wilson to any of them. Peyton Manning in his prime is the best QB I've ever seen in my life. Aaron Rodgers is a very close 2nd. Wilson....he's just a beast. He's in his 4th year and from the looks of it he could be in that convo by maybe his 7th or 8th season but not now. Its not fair to Wilson and its a joke to compare a 4th year player to guys who if they were to all retire right now they would all be first ballots. 

I dont think Wilson is good enough to carry a team by himself. I dont think any player in the league right now can do it outside of Aaron Rodgers. People look at Brady as if its him by himself, as if coaching (put aside the cheating) doesnt account for the Pats success over the past decade and a half. 

And I mean this generally, the topic of "carrying a team by yourself" is just stupid to me. There are 22 starting players on the team for a reason, and though some teams are more talented than others when I watch Russell Play you can see that he is not just being "carried" yet getting all the credit. That Seahawks defense gets credit from everyone. Lynch contribution gets credit from everyone yet Russell's contribution is scrutinized simply because he's a QB and has complimentary talent along side him. 

I never hear Joe Montana (not comparing Wilson to Montana...just circumstance) getting scrutinized for having the greatest WR in NFL history, along with great defensive players and no worries about a salary cap. Why? Because Joe Montana was still a beast in his own right. 

Archived