RIP Roddy Piper

RutgersJetFan

If I'm ranking best moments from the 80s I'd have the coconut as top 3 no doubt.

RIP. The best skits were 1) the coconut. 2) him handing out rotten apples to kids on halloween on a tuesday night titans skit and 3)Throwing Gene okerlund to the street after he found their secret training facility for wrestlemania 1  ''Okerlund, we told you not to come'' ''why you gentelman wouldnt threaten me with physical violence, would you?''  :rl:

RIP. The best skits were 1) the coconut. 2) him handing out rotten apples to kids on halloween on a tuesday night titans skit and 3)Throwing Gene okerlund to the street after he found their secret training facility for wrestlemania 1  ''Okerlund, we told you not to come'' ''why you gentelman wouldnt threaten me with physical violence, would you?''  :rl:

RIP. The best skits were 1) the coconut. 2) him handing out rotten apples to kids on halloween on a tuesday night titans skit and 3)Throwing Gene okerlund to the street after he found their secret training facility for wrestlemania 1 ''Okerlund, we told you not to come'' ''why you gentelman wouldnt threaten me with physical violence, would you?'' :rl:

I think I remember like 3 things tops from before I was 6 years old. Roddy Piper kicking Cyndi Lauper in the head is one of them.

I was 12 when the coconut skit went down, me and my friends watched it 10 times a day every day for a month, classic. The only thing funnier was Rudy Diamand getting pile driven 20 times by Orndorff for wearing Paula tights…don't ask me why I remember this stuff…RIP Roddy.

61, heart attack. Weird cause he never looked like a steroid freak like Ultimate Warrior and others. But i guess it's not just the steroids that do in these wrestlers early, all the pain meds and stuff NG either

Sad. Was a big part of my childhood 

One of the guys who changed the face of pro wrestling.  Roddy was always funny and entertaining.  

Plus, he was in one of my favorite movies from that era, "They Live".  The flick was completely over the top, which I loved.  The fight sequence between Roddy's character and Keith David's is a classic and completely insane.  lol

One of the guys who changed the face of pro wrestling.  Roddy was always funny and entertaining.  

Plus, he was in one of my favorite movies from that era, "They Live".  The flick was completely over the top, which I loved.  The fight sequence between Roddy's character and Keith David's is a classic and completely insane.  lol

Ever see Slavoj Zizek's analysis of that movie in a perverts guide to ideology?

I'm really hoping for some kind of tribute on Raw tonight.

I can't imagine there won't be. 

Hulk Hogan gets so much credit for wreslting's popularity in the 80s but without a great villian, Hogan would have been too annoying to be that big a star and carry the company. Piper was the perfect foil for Hogan. He was fearless in his heeldom. The guy literally came out against rock and roll of all things. But he knew he had to be as hateful as possible because otherwise Mount Baldy (as Piper once memorably referred to Hogan) would have been a less popular John Cena. 

I can't imagine there won't be. 

Hulk Hogan gets so much credit for wreslting's popularity in the 80s but without a great villian, Hogan would have been too annoying to be that big a star and carry the company. Piper was the perfect foil for Hogan. He was fearless in his heeldom. The guy literally came out against rock and roll of all things. But he knew he had to be as hateful as possible because otherwise Mount Baldy (as Piper once memorably referred to Hogan) would have been a less popular John Cena.

He was such a good heel, he was the first to blur the lines between heel and face.

He was such a good heel, he was the first to blur the lines between heel and face.

He and Rick Flair were the best at that. The two of them could slip effortlessly from heel to face and back.

The only guy in recent years who has been close to that level with that has been Jericho. Rock and Stone Cold were pretty adept at it too. 

He and Rick Flair were the best at that. The two of them could slip effortlessly from heel to face and back.

The only guy in recent years who has been close to that level with that has been Jericho. Rock and Stone Cold were pretty adept at it too.

Rock was way better as a heel. The problem is he was just so ******* entertaining that you couldn't help but love him. Piper was the most hateable guy ever. Can you imagine the WWE trying to put up a heel like that now? I don't think they could even if they wanted to.

Rock was way better as a heel. The problem is he was just so ******* entertaining that you couldn't help but love him. Piper was the most hateable guy ever. Can you imagine the WWE trying to put up a heel like that now? I don't think they could even if they wanted to.

I'll counter with "Classy" Freddie Blassie.

He got away with it because he was pure evil. When Piper went heel, he went all in. He was just a vicious a$$hole. 

Like I said earlier, the guy said he hated rock and roll to sell an angle. Only he didn't just say it. He would go on 10-minute diatribes about how awful rock and roll was and how much he preferred bagpipe music and it was totally believable. 

But everything was done with a bit of a wink and a nod. Almost as if Piper was saying "you and I know this is all bullsh*t but can you imagine how much you'd hate someone who acted this way?" that made it somehow not only weirdly acceptable but funny as hell. 

It's why he also made a great face that people wanted to root for. Because he could be just as funny only now you got to laugh with him. The man had an insane level of charisma. 

The strangest ever was his angle as a face to Hollywood Hogan's heel turn in the nWo. It was bizarre. But I was finally rooting for Piper to beat Hogan and not looking like the crazy person rooting for the heel. 

A friend of mine was in WCW for a while (I never dunked on him, though), he told me that Jericho was the nicest, hardest working guy in the business. He, like Piper, was funny. Even as a heel, you wanted to root for him because he made you laugh.

They cant make a heel hateable now. They tried with Rollins and everyone loves him. They're trying with Kevin Owens and everyone loves him. People love heels more than they love faces now and I blame it on them never forcing Cena to make a heel turn. 

Archived