Rex at it again: switching player positions

jgb

Rex Ryan: Percy Harvin wants to moonlight as Bills CB

When Percy Harvin signed with the Buffalo Bills in March, he emphasized that he no longer wants to be considered strictly a slot receiver or gadget player.

As it turns out, Harvin has more in mind than simply running more routes outside the numbers and down the field.

Coach Rex Ryan revealed Friday that Harvin has requested the opportunity to try his hand at cornerback.

Ryan is open to the idea, explaining that Harvin will line up at cornerback "from time to time" as an experiment.

Harvin's role will be interesting to monitor throughout August. Although he was one of the NFL's best players in the first half of the 2012 season, he has been little more than a tease since.

The Buffalo News recently projected Harvin as the No. 3 receiver behind Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods, noting that he has "needed plenty of detailed instruction on how to run routes during the offseason."

The Bills want Harvin to handle more than his usual array of screens, slants and jet sweeps, but that's going to be hard to accomplish if he is relegated to the third-receiver role in a run-first offense.

Does that leave more time for Harvin to moonlight in the secondary?

Although Harvin is an exceptional athlete, it's exceedingly rare for an established veteran to pull of a successful position switch at the highest level of football.

In other words, we'll believe it when we see it in regular-season action.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast discusses Tom Brady's lawsuit and debates which veteran players are most likely to be cut.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000505423/article/rex-ryan-percy-harvin-will-moonlight-as-bills-cb

So, Rex acts like he coach anyone into playing corner, but it's all Idzik's fault for not buying Rex the best corners in the league? Sound about right?

I think last year we would have settled for 24th or 25th best secondary talent in the league not 32 and 31 isn't even close.

I think it's funny that Rex is taking advice from a part time offensive player who's new to the team and hasn't even proven himself in buffalo. This isn't going to end well. I think Rex trained Sheldon on how to be the dumbest of the dumb

"Ryan is open to the idea"

I think it's funny that Rex is taking advice from a part time offensive player who's new to the team and hasn't even proven himself in buffalo. This isn't going to end well. I think Rex trained Sheldon on how to be the dumbest of the dumb

"Ryan is open to the idea"

Yep ROTY and Pro Bowl under Rex and in trouble under Bowles..LOL 

meh. total non story. seeing what a player could do at another position on day 1 or 2 of training camp. don't see the problem. wake me up when percy is a starting corner in the regular season

I bet he would be better then Vance Joseph was.. :winking0001:

I think last year we would have settled for 24th or 25th best secondary talent in the league not 32 and 31 isn't even close.

Lets not forget harvin was on this team last year. if he could play CB that was his chance.

Anyone who ever played this game and never played both sides raise your hands

I don't like Rex either but this is ridiculous

Bednarik was an outspoken, even bitter critic of modern NFL players for playing on only one side of the ball, calling them "pussyfoots", noting that they "suck air after five plays" and that they "couldn't tackle my wife Emma". He even criticized Troy Brown of the New England Patriots and Deion Sanders of the Dallas Cowboys, two players who also have played both offense and defense, because their positions as a wide receiver and cornerback didn't require as much contact as the center and linebacker positions that Bednarik played.

o-CHUCK-BEDNARIK-facebook.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1EHius5Y88

Bednarik was an outspoken, even bitter critic of modern NFL players for playing on only one side of the ball, calling them "pussyfoots", noting that they "suck air after five plays" and that they "couldn't tackle my wife Emma". He even criticized Troy Brown of the New England Patriots and Deion Sanders of the Dallas Cowboys, two players who also have played both offense and defense, because their positions as a wide receiver and cornerback didn't require as much contact as the center and linebacker positions that Bednarik played.

Thanks!!

In many ways he was right. The game is so much different today.

Guy was the epitome of an old school football player. I know a few people who were lucky to meet him and he was the real deal

I really miss them getting quotes from Concrete Charlie about modern players.  He was not shy.  Destroying Gifford was just a happy little extra.

Archived