KRL Camp Notes (8/1/15)

KRL

Willie Colon

General Notes

– First day in full pads.
– Practice ran for 2.5 hours.
– Willie Colon was full go and took reps with the #1 OLine at RG.  Kevin Vickerson and Stevan Ridley are still out.
– Jace Amaro “tweaked” his knee in drills against “air”.  It looked serious because he spiked the ball in anger but he shook it off and participated in the rest of practice.
– Maccagnan made an appearance with his ever present Starbucks cup.
– Bowles concentrated on the offense particularly when Gailey was going over blitz pickup.
– Offensive emphasis was on the running game today.
– Offense won the competition period today because the defense did pushups at the end of practice.

Player Notes

– With the pads on 1 on 1 blocking drills made an appearance.
Standouts were:
  * Demario Davis, blowing up anyone during his reps
  * Quincy Enunwa
  * Jace Amaro, improved blocker who controls the defender well once he gets his hands on them
  * Jeff Cumberland, not as hideous as years past
  * IK Enemkpali, violent bull rusher
  * Darrelle Revis, delivered blows so hard you thought a LB delivered them
  * Wes Saxton, much better than his scouting report, functional
  * Taiwan Jones, delivered blows like an ILB should
– Good jobs by a couple of UDFA’s today Wes Saxton, Taiwan Jones and Julian Howsare.  Saxton’s blocking was good and he’s caught everything.  Jones was excellent in run defense today.  And Howsare got a “sack” of Ryan Fitzpatrick during 11 on 11’s.
– This isn’t sexy but there should be a legitimate battle at punter.  Jacob Schum showed good leg strength and if he can be more consistent than Ryan (Sir-Shanksalot) Quigley I would keep him.
– Dee Milliner was full go today and looked good during his reps. His best play was a breakup of a 30+ yard pass from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Walter Powell.
– We started to see the Bowles multiple safety looks from ARZ today. On some dime looks we had 3 CB’s and 3 S’s (Marcus Gilchrist, Calvin Pryor & Antonio Allen).
– Solid day for Gilchrist supported the run well and decent in coverage.
– Rontez Miles had a couple of big hits during 9 on 7 running drills.
– More interesting formations from Gailey, today he deployed Eric Decker & Brandon Marshall in double slots in a 4 WR set.
– With Devin Smith out Chris Owusu & TJ Graham are getting more reps.  Owusu had a nice 35+ yard catch from Geno Smith over Cro. And Graham had a tough juggling catch over Revis during red zone drills.
– During 11 on 11 drills Bryce Petty hooked up with Quincy Enunwa on a 40+ yard TD over Dexter McDougle.
– Leonard Williams showed his ability to anchor against the run today.  Was able to hold his ground even when double teamed.

QB Notes

– Geno Smith continued his good play.  He had multiple TD’s during 7 on 7 and red zone drills.  His best play was getting the defense to show their blitz, checking out of the play and hitting Owusu for a 35+ yard catch over Cro that I mentioned before.  His
chemistry/communication with Marshall is excellent.  In one instance when the defense took away an inside route Smith threw a back shoulder throw and Marshall seemed to “expect it”.
– Fitzpatrick had his solid moments but for a vet whose been in this offense he was too sloppy.  Twice he fumble snaps from center and once he turned the wrong way on a handoff and the RB wasn’t there.

Standouts

– Geno Smith
– Chris Owusu
– Brandon Marshall
– Marcus Gilchrist
– Taiwan Jones
– Leonard Williams

Visit our forums to read more and discuss .

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
f2u__tbShPU

View the full article

When it's as bad as they were it's probably necessary. It was honestly terrible up the middle. I saw multiple would be sacks/baddddd holding calls against our interior lineman.

Another person who saw imaginary sack issues a year ago? Newsflash, the line lead the leagues #3 rush attack and the QBs weren't pressured much a year ago.

The biggest offensive change I've seen so far is how Gailey deploys our "big WR's" (Decker

and Marshall) into slot WR positions. Usually you expect to see small shifty players inside

(Welker, Edelman) but Gailey likes to "flip the script"

Marshall has played in the slot a lot through his career. Can line up anywhere, which is a stark change for us.

Thank you KRL.

Geno always seems to look good in August.

Always?

He couldn't beat out (let alone create any separation between himself and) Sanchez just 2 Augusts ago, when Sanchez had an awful August himself. And last year for half the month (whenever the 3 CB injuries happened) he was up against no secondary.

It's great to see him do well, and (like everyone here who doesn't have a personal stake in him doing poorly) I very badly want him to work out for us. Ultimately, though, even 20+ good August practices and preseason games from Geno would still leave me with a, "Yeah, well we'll see," mindset. Better to see good performances than bad from anyone/everyone on the team - young QB included - but Nagle looked pretty solid in the summer of '92 as well. Enough to displace Kenny O right away. And we see what the results were when the games actually counted.

So we'll see. But he hasn't at all been a constant August stud. He wasn't so great in past Augusts either, even if he had some good practices/scrimmages.

Always?

He couldn't beat out (let alone create any separation between himself and) Sanchez just 2 Augusts ago, when Sanchez had an awful August himself. And last year for half the month (whenever the 3 CB injuries happened) he was up against no secondary.

It's great to see him do well, and (like everyone here who doesn't have a personal stake in him doing poorly) I very badly want him to work out for us. Ultimately, though, even 20+ good August practices and preseason games from Geno would still leave me with a, "Yeah, well we'll see," mindset. Better to see good performances than bad from anyone/everyone on the team - young QB included - but Nagle looked pretty solid in the summer of '92 as well. Enough to displace Kenny O right away. And we see what the results were when the games actually counted.

So we'll see. But he hasn't at all been a constant August stud. He wasn't so great in past Augusts either, even if he had some good practices/scrimmages.

Jet fans have earned the right to be skeptical with Geno-hah. He has to prove it in real games

Always?

except geno has already been better than browning nagle was, so i dont really get the comparison here. nagle was crap in the one season he started and he really never played again. geno was a little better in his first season and improved in his second season. he's now inhis thrid season and looking pretty decent so far in camp. doesnt mean he will definitely be good this year, but the comparison to nagle really doesnt make sense to me.

except geno has already been better than browning nagle was, so i dont really get the comparison here. nagle was crap in the one season he started and he really never played again. geno was a little better in his first season and improved in his second season. he's now inhis thrid season and looking pretty decent so far in camp. doesnt mean he will definitely be good this year, but the comparison to nagle really doesnt make sense to me.

None of them were good

Nagle QB rating his main season 64

Geno QB rating

2013 - 66

2014 - 77

If Geno does wind up as "The Guy" this year & bumps his rating up to 88 (improved results meeting the eyeball test as well) I will sign up for that

None of them were good

Nagle QB rating his main season 64

Geno QB rating

2013 - 66

2014 - 77

If Geno does wind up as "The Guy" this year & bumps his rating up to 88 (improved results meeting the eyeball test as well) I will sign up for that

i would agree with that. but, geno did mostly improve from year 1 to year 2.

for this year to be successful we are going to need geno do a few thngs.

he's going to have to be at least 500 attempts on the season

somewhere around 62% completion percentage would put us right in the middle of the pack which is acceptable

interception percentage needs to be cut down to below 3% and hopefully close to 2.5%

td percentage needs to improve to at least 4% and really closer to 4.5%

total passing yards needs to be around 3700 at least

this would give him about:

23 td's

12 int

12 yards per completion

230 passing yards per game

thats just about a 90 passer rating and will mean he is a reasonably decent nfl quarterback.

again this is just about the minimum production we really need from him and our passing game. this will give him the opportunity to continue as s stating nfl qb and it will give us the time to see if either him or a future qb can be our true franchise qb.

23 td's

12 int

12 yards per completion

230 passing yards per game

thats just about a 90 passer rating and will mean he is a reasonably decent nfl quarterback.

again this is just about the minimum production we really need from him and our passing game. this will give him the opportunity to continue as s stating nfl qb and it will give us the time to see if either him or a future qb can be our true franchise qb.

I'll take that from Geno in a heartbeat that would probably get them a wildcard.. Aaron Rogers has the best consistent QB rating since they have had that stat.. The last 6 years over 100 each season with a high of 122.5 in 2011..

The comparison is Nagle looked really good in preseason leading up to a bad regular season. In other words, a good preseason isn't necessarily a sign of good things to follow.

The comparison is Nagle looked really good in preseason leading up to a bad regular season. In other words, a good preseason isn't necessarily a sign of good things to follow.

i get it....but geno will really have to regress below his rookie year stats to have a season as bad as nagles.

i get it....but geno will really have to regress below his rookie year stats to have a season as bad as nagles.

True. But it's not like something he hasn't already accomplished.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not in the "I can't wait until Geno's gone" crowd. (Not yet, anyway lol). But I won't get excited because of some good practices in August. If he has some good games to start the season then I'll begin getting excited. 

Archived