Revis is Mentoring Milliner

JetNation

dee milliner

The benefit of having Darrelle Revis on your team is extremely obvious on game day. Shutting down the best wide receivers in the NFL is what Revis does consistently. Another benefit of having Revis on the roster is the effect he will have on younger players. Last season Dee Milliner was the # 1 CB on the roster. This year Dee Milliner seems to be behind Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine on the depth chart. That drop speaks more to the additions the Jets brought in and less about what the future holds for Milliner. His prospects are still bright and Revis spoke to the media about Dee Milliner.

On his impression of Dee Milliner being back on the field after his injury…

It has nothing to do with my opinion. John Mellody, the trainer, is monitoring him and making sure he takes the right steps to get back out on the field and today was his first day. I think as a whole defense, everybody is excited to see Dee get out there.

On what he has tried to teach Milliner…

Just basically, being a mentor as much as I can. Whatever question he has to ask, I try to give him the best answer I can, whether it’s technique wise or off the field wise.

On if he senses an eagerness from Milliner…

Yes, I think he had a tough injury last year with the Achilles and at this point now, he’s trying to get back into things. I think this is the time, right now at training camp, for him to get back into the mix and dust those cobwebs off. He hasn’t played in a whole year. This is a great time for him to get back into the flow of things.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
lhoLantWUFE

View the full article

On what he has tried to teach Milliner…

Just basically, being a mentor as much as I can. Whatever question he has to ask, I try to give him the best answer I can, whether it’s technique wise or off the field wise.

so, if he has a decent year we can expect a holdout

I remember reading how Kyle Wilson was always in Revis' hip pocket too. Grain of salt.

Kyle should have reciprocated by teaching Revis how to celebrate your WR not catching a ball thrown out of bounds!

'Florida kinda sucks, but there's no income tax and there's three teams there. Same with Texas. If you end up in Massachusetts or NJ make sure you're agent asks for another $5 mil/per because the other tax man will rape you. Same thing in California. Trick is to sign short deals. Hang on, Delta Force is calling my cell.'

I remember LT coming in to "coach up" Gholsten.

a Shlt sandwich can not be made roast beef.

There's no basis to call Milliner a bust or a sh*t sandwich. Injuries happen, he played good in about 25% of his rookie starts.

He may end up being a complete waste of a pick (probably because of being too fragile) but it's WAY too soon to start with these comments.

I'm frankly more worried about Richardson at this point. He's probably out of commission now for at least 8 games. And it's 100% his fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no basis to call Milliner a bust or a sh*t sandwich. Injuries happen, he played good in about 25% of his rookie starts.

He may end up being a complete waste of a pick (probably because of being too fragile) but it's WAY too soon to start with these comments.

I'm frankly more worried about Richardson at this point. He's probably out of commission now for at least 8 games. And it's 100% his fault.

Interesting...  I wasnt calling Millner a shlt sandwich, I was referring to GHOST but my bad typing.   I agree with most of your point...

Interesting... I wasnt calling Millner a shlt sandwich, I was referring to GHOST but my bad typing. I agree with most of your point...

Actually I think you were clear, you compared Gholston to Wilso and they're both shlt sandwiches

Ed Reed was also a good influence on young Milliner....

If Milliner checks out athletically after that achilles tear, I have a feeling teams will be extremely jealous of our CB depth (Revis, Cro, Skrine, Milliner, McDougal). What a turnaround after last year's $h!tshow...

Wonder if Idzik focused on this a bit too much when deciding to not sign Revis and release Cro.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-5/Dee-Milliners-Followup-Defensive-Rookie-of-Month/9f0d4fa6-ae4f-40f4-b790-8ab8b831db61

Dee Milliner continued his strong New Year's week and final month of the season with yet another award as the rookie cornerback was named the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Month for December.

Milliner, the top pick of our 2013 draft at No. 9 overall, was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his outstanding performance in the 20-7 win at Miami in the season finale on Sunday.

After his up-and-down first three months of the season, the young man from Alabama put it together with his fine stretch run. The Cleveland Browns went at him as he mostly covered NFL receiving-yardage leader Josh Gordon and came up with six pass breakups and his first pro interception.

Then vs. the Dolphins, Milliner's primary assignment was the dangerous Mike Wallace. Chalk up five more PDs and his first two-INT game, giving him three picks for the season to tie him with Antonio Cromartie for the team leadership.

"It feels great, finally catching on to things, doing what I'm supposed to," Milliner said after that game, no pun intended. He added that he had a motto he followed this season, to great concluding effect: "Just be out there, be confident in what you can do, and just go out there and play."

Milliner unofficially is the first NFL player with back-to-back games of five or more pass defenses since 1994, when Stats Inc. first began tracking PDs.

Only five other players have two or more 5-PD games in a season: Pittsburgh's Dewayne Washington in 1998, Green Bay's Mike McKenzie in 2004 (three, including a playoff game against Philadelphia), Philadelphia's Lito Sheppard in 2006, and Brent Grimes, the current Dolphin who had two 5-PD games in a three-game span for Atlanta in 2010.

Interesting... I wasnt calling Millner a shlt sandwich, I was referring to GHOST but my bad typing. I agree with most of your point...

Sorry, I thought you meant 27.

Ghost is certainly a sh*t sandwich

Mcdougal will be better than milliner.

He'll play some CB while Cro roams underneath with other safeties, of which milliner is not one.

McDougal hasn't even played a down yet so I'm not sure about that.  Milliner showed his skills for that final stretch of games two years ago.  With Revis and Cro mentoring and him slowly being used, I think He will be the guy that eventually thought he would be playing opposite Revis after Cro leaves.   Of course he has to stay healthy. 

McDougal hasn't even played a down yet so I'm not sure about that. Milliner showed his skills for that final stretch of games two years ago. With Revis and Cro mentoring and him slowly being used, I think He will be the guy that eventually thought he would be playing opposite Revis after Cro leaves. Of course he has to stay healthy.

It's always that end-of-year stretch that milliner-backers cling to as hope. He wasn't effective enough healthy and he won't be effective enough post-Achilles surgery. I really really like the limited snaps I've seen from mcdougal and I'm thinking Bowles will utilize his man-to-man skills more often than most expect.

"Hope is a good thing, Red."

It's always that end-of-year stretch that milliner-backers cling to as hope. He wasn't effective enough healthy and he won't be effective enough post-Achilles surgery. I really really like the limited snaps I've seen from mcdougal and I'm thinking Bowles will utilize his man-to-man skills more often than most expect.

"Hope is a good thing, Red."

What limited snaps did you like?  The 10 or so he had as a backup in the preseason opener against the Colts last year?  He tore his ACL before the next week and never took another snap.  It sounds like he is doing great and Crusher has some solid scouting reports from Stafford, but it's kind of tough to draw any conclusion from his "snaps."

Archived