Rex Ryan breaks down and cries when HBO asks about time with Jets - Watch this

Flushing Roots

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

alot o fpeople here hate rex ryan and i really don't know why. is the guy a flawed head coach?? sure, and thats mostly due to his ineptitude concerning the offensive side of the game. when the guy was here he was the biggest jets fan in the stadium. sure he said some things that came back to bit him and made him look a little silly. the guy wanted to win and tried his hardest to make it happen. hiring idzik and keeping rex was a disaster. idzik's mission was to clear salary cap and work towards the future while ryans mission was the complete opposite as he needed to win now. it wa simpossible for him to do that because idzik gave him almost nothing to work with. still, even with all the adversity the players were behind ryan. his other biggest problem is too buddy buddy with the players. he's like the parent who wants to be their kids best friend. you have to be the parent first. i wish ryan luck in the future just not enough luck to be better than the jets

Agreed

Way too much Rex Ryan hate

He has his flaws, he has a lot to improve on to be a successful HC, I'm still a big fan, but will obviously root against him against the Jets

He loved being the Jets coach, I really appreciate that

I don't know guys. I loved having a HC that not only wanted to win but specifically wanted to change the way the Jets were looked at. Those first two seasons were a lot of fun and the league took notice of us for the first time in a long time.

I was ready to move on last season but I really wanted Rex to be the guy. He loved the Jets.

His best line ever was right after the Pats playoff win.  " Same old Jets. Going back to the AFC championship game".   Trying to use the phrase we have been beaten down with for eons to stick it to all the doubters.  I liked that.

Too bad it ended the way it did. You can see how he feels in that interview clip.  It's sad to me and I'm now crying as well.

I also have my period so there's that.

I do not dislike Rex Ryan. His 1st two years were really fun. However, he is as stubborn a mule and never learned from his mistakes.

He will make those same mistakes in Buffalo...as he loves to say... "there's no question about it."

I don't hate Ryan, just don't think he is a very good HC, and even his defensive schemes are outdated. I hope he flops in Buffalo only because Ryan could have & should have gone elsewhere. I may have rooted for him, but he had to stay in the AFCE.

F Him, I hope they go 1-15.

END FCKING THREAD

I'm sorry, this is a first for me.  I have never seen a head coach cry.  I know there's no crying in baseball.  Didn't know it didn't apply to football.  But then again this is Rex.  Pass the Kleenex please.

Video is at the bottom of the article.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/08/watch_rex_ryan_breaks_down_and_cries_when_asked_by.html

You never saw Dick Vermeil then. 

I don't understand the hate for Rex. Not every HC can win a super bowl and not every coach can take a team to AFC Championship games. Was his time in NY a complete success? No, but it was better than most HC's do and better than any other HC we've had in about 4 decades. 

Not to mention Rex was loyal to the Jets and would have stayed here forever. Unfortunately, in the age of twitter many fans expect championships or the HC is a complete F%^%&^ loser. 

When you jump ahead a few years/decades he will go down as one of the greatest/beloved Jet head coaches of all time. 3rd all time in wins and 1st all time in playoff wins. 

I don't understand the hate for Rex. Not every HC can win a super bowl and not every coach can take a team to AFC Championship games. Was his time in NY a complete success? No, but it was better than most HC's do and better than any other HC we've had in about 4 decades. 

Not to mention Rex was loyal to the Jets and would have stayed here forever. Unfortunately, in the age of twitter many fans expect championships or the HC is a complete F%^%&^ loser. 

When you jump ahead a few years/decades he will go down as one of the greatest/beloved Jet head coaches of all time. 3rd all time in wins and 1st all time in playoff wins. 

I have a Giant fan friend that wants Tom Coughlin gone because even in the years the team beat the Pats in the Bowl he wasn't satisfied with the 10-6 and 9-7 seasons.. Most fans are not only fickle but nuts as well..LOL

the guy wanted to win and tried his hardest to make it happen.

This is where I have to disagree. If he was "doing his best" he would NOT have neglected the offense and team discipline like he did. The Jets would play like demons for him one game and then turn around and be Shawna of the Jungle the next. Rex had his dream job and just as Rich Kotite did he buddied up with players and the talent level dropped. He is a poor game manager - like Kotitie- and in my opinion is just a tick above Richie as the worst HC in Jets history. 

I loved Rex, it's a shame thing shad to end the way they did.  It goes back to firing Tannenbaum and hiring Idzik.  I am happy w/ Bowles and hope he finally gets us over the hump but I appreciate what Rex did here and how much he loved being a part of this franchise.

I don't hate Ryan, just don't think he is a very good HC, and even his defensive schemes are outdated. I hope he flops in Buffalo only because Ryan could have & should have gone elsewhere. I may have rooted for him, but he had to stay in the AFCE.

F Him, I hope they go 1-15.

Funny how defensive schemes became outdated at the same time his defensive talent fell off to the ridiculous level of his final year.

To complain that he took the only job offered because it's in the AFCE is beyond simple. And if he sucks nearly as much as some think he does you should thrilled he went to bufallo

Funny how defensive schemes became outdated at the same time his defensive talent fell off to the ridiculous level of his final year.

To complain that he took the only job offered because it's in the AFCE is beyond simple. And if he sucks nearly as much as some think he does you should thrilled he went to bufallo

isn't it amazing that when he talent he won?  people act like Rex was Rich Kotite.  the only year he did a really bad job was last year.

isn't it amazing that when he talent he won?  people act like Rex was Rich Kotite.  the only year he did a really bad job was last year.

He also took teams to the playoffs in consecutive years with a Rookie then 2nd year QB who sucked as much as a QB can suck. Played 6 playoff games, all on the road, all as huge underdogs and somehow managed to come away with 4 wins.

That doesn't suck.

He also took teams to the playoffs in consecutive years with a Rookie then 2nd year QB who sucked as much as a QB can suck. Played 6 playoff games, all on the road, all as huge underdogs and somehow managed to come away with 4 wins.

That doesn't suck.

I disagree about the QB sucking but get your point.

Rex should have gone with Tanny but I bet he would have loved Mac bringing back Revis,Cro and the rest..

Rex should have gone with Tanny but I bet he would have loved Mac bringing back Revis,Cro and the rest..

I don't think Tannenbaum ever should have been fired, that set the wheels in motion for the 2013 disaster but hopefully the new regime is the right one for long term success.

Rex must have been going nuts watching what we did in FA and the draft.  he has a loaded D himself up there but I guarantee you he would prefer to be here.

I don't think Tannenbaum ever should have been fired, that set the wheels in motion for the 2013 disaster but hopefully the new regime is the right one for long term success.

Rex must have been going nuts watching what we did in FA and the draft.  he has a loaded D himself up there but I guarantee you he would prefer to be here.

Out of all the GM's I've seen Maccagnon gets a A+ so far from me.. I think him and Bowles are a great combo..

Out of all the GM's I've seen Maccagnon gets a A+ so far from me.. I think him and Bowles are a great combo..

so far they have done a great job but he came in having to spend a lot of money.  he was put in a great spot w/ a ton of cap room, having to spend it and high picks in each round.  I love what he did and those factors didn't guarantee a great offseason but it has to be mentioned.

so far they have done a great job but he came in having to spend a lot of money.  he was put in a great spot w/ a ton of cap room, having to spend it and high picks in each round.  I love what he did and those factors didn't guarantee a great offseason but it has to be mentioned.

I think Idzik and Rex didn't like each other all that much otherwise there was no reason to sit on all that cash.. Rex knew it was over and Idzik figured he would save it for his choice as the next HC IMO.. That's why Rex should have gone with Tanny and we should have got a GM that started fresh.. Funny thing though Bowles and Mac were hired the same day so I wonder how much input he had??

I think Idzik and Rex didn't like each other all that much otherwise there was no reason to sit on all that cash.. Rex knew it was over and Idzik figured he would save it for his choice as the next HC IMO.. That's why Rex should have gone with Tanny and we should have got a GM that started fresh.. Funny thing though Bowles and Mac were hired the same day so I wonder how much input he had??

I don't think Rex would have deserved to be fired after 2012 but yeah we should either have kept Tannenbaum and Rex or got rid of both.

That doesn't suck.

Why does he get extra credit for winning in spite of Sanchez when Sanchez is his fault? Why does he get extra credit for winning in the playoffs as road underdogs when he's responsible for being in a position to have to win road playoff games against better teams in the first place?

Why does he get extra credit for winning in spite of Sanchez when Sanchez is his fault? Why does he get extra credit for winning in the playoffs as road underdogs when he's responsible for being in a position to have to win road playoff games against better teams in the first place?

only one team has finished ahead of a Brady led Pats team to win an AFC East title(us in 2002).  Not his fault we couldn't finish ahead of Brady, would you rather have finished ahead then lost in div rd to them or finished behind then advance further in '09 and beat them in '10?

only one team has finished ahead of a Brady led Pats team to win an AFC East title(us in 2002). Not his fault we couldn't finish ahead of Brady, would you rather have finished ahead then lost in div rd to them or finished behind then advance further in '09 and beat them in '10?

Coaches lose their jobs all the time because they hitch their wagons to the wrong donkeys. Rex is not special. Not even noteworthy.

I don't expect championships, i expect competence. We weren't even getting the bare minimum in his final year.

Because I'm not one of those people so in love with Sanchez that they can't see that Sanchez is to blame for Sanchez.

So in your expert opinion you think those two Jets teams underachieved, were much better than 9 and 12 win teams and therefore the blame falls on Rex? Because that might be the worst revenue of what you were looking at those two seasons.

I was a Rex fan till the bitter end.....but it was clear he had to go as it became obvious he was the root of the problem(lackadaisical preparation, poor clock/situational game mgmt, poor personnel decisions, neutered the growth of 2 straight rookie QBs, paid too much attention to "His defense", etc)

With all that being said, it's clear Rex loved everything about being here as the HC of the Jets and wanted to win badly here....he was just too stubborn to become the coach he needed to be to win. Those first 2 years we're a helluva ride and I'll always thank him for that....it's too bad that now he can go **** himself because he coaches the enemy...I would have probably rooted for him if he went to a team like Atlanta....

Archived