Thoughts On Geno so far from TC

Patriot Killa

The kid has what it takes physically, which is why he probably looks good in practice.  No pressure just slinging the rock to a predetermined guy or making simple reads.  He's shown how could he can look when he's putting it all together but the real question does he have the mental capacity to play consistent and continue to improve as he did over the last games of 2014. 

The interesting part of this competition will be when Fitzy is fully healed assuming he has better grasp of the playbook.  Geno is going to have to keep improving to hold off the conquering hero.

I think Fitz is 100% now.  I haven't seen anything stating otherwise since TC started.

August 15, 2012:  Mark Sanchez has been impressing his teammates.  “He’s always been improving,” all-pro cornerback Darrelle Revis said Wednesday as the team wrapped up its final open practice at SUNY Cortland. “I think the best thing he’s been doing is the placement of ... deep throws. He’s throwing them away from defenders. He’s putting the ball where it needs to be.”

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2012/08/mark_sanchez_has_been_impressi.html

July 24, 2014:  Geno Smith is a changed quarterback.  Puzzled pauses in the New York Jets' huddle have been replaced by commanding playcalls. He's also barking out audibles at the line of scrimmage and reading defenses unlike he did at any point during his rookie season.  For a first training camp practice, Smith certainly performed Thursday like a guy intent on retaining his starting job.  "I think Geno looked better than I've ever seen him," wide receiver David Nelson raved.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2014/07/new_york_jets_training_camp_geno_smith_looks_sharp_as_michael_vick_mostly_works.html

Same old sh*t every year.

2 days in pads...lets relax for a bit. Need to see him in real action. I love that football is back but jeeze we overanalyze practice.

Forget all these media fluff pieces.  Your comment is where it's at.

For me, if Geno is getting pressured and runs backwards 15-20 yards trying to get away (as he's done since day one here), then he's exactly who I think he is...a bum who hasn't learned sh*t.

I think Fitz is 100% now.  I haven't seen anything stating otherwise since TC started.

I havent heard anything otherwise either just figured he wasnt 100%.  Especially reading some of the camp updates that his arm doesnt look that strong.  That's never been an issue with him so figured he probably couldnt step into his fastball the way he normally does just yet.

August 15, 2012:  Mark Sanchez has been impressing his teammates.  “He’s always been improving,” all-pro cornerback Darrelle Revis said Wednesday as the team wrapped up its final open practice at SUNY Cortland. “I think the best thing he’s been doing is the placement of ... deep throws. He’s throwing them away from defenders. He’s putting the ball where it needs to be.”

July 24, 2014:  Geno Smith is a changed quarterback.  Puzzled pauses in the New York Jets' huddle have been replaced by commanding playcalls. He's also barking out audibles at the line of scrimmage and reading defenses unlike he did at any point during his rookie season.  For a first training camp practice, Smith certainly performed Thursday like a guy intent on retaining his starting job.  "I think Geno looked better than I've ever seen him," wide receiver David Nelson raved.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2014/07/new_york_jets_training_camp_geno_smith_looks_sharp_as_michael_vick_mostly_works.html

^^^ joy kill rooting for Geno to suck so his conquering hero can take over...

I have decided to approach geno's status with a more positive outlook (thanks, Sheldon, you ass hat!)

The best thing I heard so far is command in the huddle...maybe geno has put the time in to know the playbook. No Vick influence probably helped that.

Maybe Geno cares about being a pro now. This bodes well for Geno. If his teammates notice and express confidence, Geno will assuredly gain even more confidence!!! No more horrible body language?!? No more thin-skinned moping?!?!? This is truly a wonderful development.

I hope it translates in full pads against a full defense with no red jersey. I am pulling for you Geno!!! I have let my guard down and given you my trust!!!

That was painful to write, yet liberating.

I totally get your viewpoint.  We've seen this many times, only to have our hearts ripped out of our chest come September.

But my hope is that a head coach who actually gives a crap about the offense, combined with a coordinator that runs a much simpler scheme than Marty M did, is going to help this kid turn into a serviceable QB. It may not happen, but I'm willing to give Geno that one last shot to get it right.

If the simple scheme can help him improve his decision-making then we may have something here, because physically he has everything that you would want in a QB.

^^^ joy kill rooting for Geno to suck so his conquering hero can take over...

I'm not rooting for Geno to fail.  I just know that he will.  History is on my side on this one.  Bad QB's tend to stay bad, no matter what supposed improvements they show in July and August.  I would love nothing more than for Geno to prove me wrong and become a star or at least a league average QB.  But I'm confident I'm right on this one and Fitz is, like it or not, the best QB on the roster for 2015.

I'm not rooting for Geno to fail.  I just know that he will.  History is on my side on this one.  Bad QB's tend to stay bad, no matter what supposed improvements they show in July and August.  I would love nothing more than for Geno to prove me wrong and become a star or at least a league average QB.  But I'm confident I'm right on this one and Fitz is, like it or not, the best QB on the roster for 2015.

Bad QB's tend to stay bad, yet here you are, calling Ryan Fitzpatrick a Conquering Hero.

You so cray.

I think Fitz is 100% now. I haven't seen anything stating otherwise since TC started.

Main issue with Fitz is he's never survived a full season as a starter. Even if "Geno is da worstedt evah" people get their way and Fitz week 1 Geno will end up being their QB by week 9.

For me, if Geno is getting pressured and runs backwards 15-20 yards trying to get away (as he's done since day one here), then he's exactly who I think he is...a bum who hasn't learned sh*t.

this has been the one that truly irks me too ... fumbles & ints as well of course ... but the times that he hasn't been aware of field position & sitiuational awareness with score/time left ... to get sacked losing yards & taking us out of field goal range have twisted that knife in my QB wound

this has been the one that truly irks me too ... fumbles & ints as well of course ... but the times that he hasn't been aware of field position & sitiuational awareness with score/time left ... to get sacked losing yards & taking us out of field goal range have twisted that knife in my QB wound

lol  Yeah, I have just flipped out watching Geno lose all those yards instead of just taking the sack and calling the next play.

The other one that kills me is when Geno decides to throw the ball during a sack.   He's an inch from the turf, but thinks it's a good move to sidearm the ball.  Idiot, just take the sack.  We don't need another INT/Pick 6.

I havent heard anything otherwise either just figured he wasnt 100%.  Especially reading some of the camp updates that his arm doesnt look that strong.  That's never been an issue with him so figured he probably couldnt step into his fastball the way he normally does just yet.

Quite teh contrary, his arm strength has always been a knock against him.  Its probably just a little worse now with age.

Everyone has the right to be skeptical of Smith until he starts to show consistency in the

regular season.  But one thing to keep in mind about his camp performances, last year

he was throwing against:

Dee Milliner

Dimitri Patterson

Kyle Wilson

Dexter McDougle

Darrin Walls

This year he's throwing against:

Revis

Cro

Skrine

Milliner

McDougle

I saw a couple of bad throws to Brandon Marshall in the end zone. Of course he was covered by Revis, but one was badly underthrown which was a Geno signature last year. Marshall is at least four inches taller than Revis so the ball needed to be thrown high and over the top. The throw came in flat and would have been picked off if Marshall hadn't broken it up. Gotta be better than that Geno.

Everyone has the right to be skeptical of Smith until he starts to show consistency in the

regular season.  But one thing to keep in mind about his camp performances, last year

he was throwing against:

Dee Milliner

Dimitri Patterson

Kyle Wilson

Dexter McDougle

Darrin Walls

Revis

Cro

Skrine

Milliner

McDougle

Thank you also the offensive skill position players were awful from 2012 until now. 

QBs can't throw it and catch it.  Anyone who thought that Smith would be good year one or two under the circumstance he was in was simply not being realistic.

Greeting guys, just thought I'd stop by from the Hampur. Good to see some familiar names from the old JI site....

In terms of Geno, I'm less than cautiously optimistic....we've seen the same script before, good offseason, good TC only to blow it up in the reg. season. With that being said, I think the new coaching regime will have a big effect on Geno's play. Bowles will push him, and Gailey will build an O that will suit his talents. BMarsh coming over is a god send. The guy can put up 80 and 1,000 in his sleep and will double as a good mentor/calming influence on the field for young Geno. 

Saw some of the NFL coverage yesterday and Geno does look good I have to admit. I'm rooting for him to put it all together as that's the best case scenario to the Jets finally finding a QB. I don't think we'll be bad enough to land a top prospect next year and I'm not sure about Petty long term. The lightbulb going off in Geno's head is best case scenario, we already know he possesses enough physical talent. I hope this new and improved Geno translates to actual games, and I will wait until I see that before getting overly excited. Those at JI who remember my posts know that I was gun-ho about Geno last offseason, only for him to let me down, but he's still young, and still trying to get acclimated in the NFL coming from that air-raid system in WVU. Gailey will make the offense simpler for him and that alone gives me some hope....this team can make a lil noise with competent QB play so this is definitely a "put up or shut up" year for Geno....

he was throwing against:

Dee Milliner

Dimitri Patterson

Kyle Wilson

Dexter McDougle

Darrin Walls

Revis

Cro

Skrine

Milliner

McDougle

Excellent point KRL, and he's made some nice throws against the best in the business already in TC....

lots of reason for hope I want to see him put it all together....

Greeting guys, just thought I'd stop by from the Hampur. Good to see some familiar faces from the old JI site....

In terms of Geno, I'm less than cautiously optimistic....we've seen the same script before, good offseason, good TC only to blow it up in the reg. season. With that being said, I think the new coaching regime will have a big effect on Geno's play. Bowles will push him, and Gailey will build an O that will suit his talents. BMarsh coming over is a god send. The guy can put up 80 and 1,000 in his sleep and will double as a good mentor/calming influence on the field for young Geno. 

Saw some of the NFL coverage yesterday and Geno does look good I have to admit. I'm rooting for him to put it all together as that's the best case scenario to the Jets finally finding a QB. I don't think we'll be bad enough to land a top prospect next year and I'm not sure about Petty long term. The lightbulb going off in Geno's head is best case scenario, we already know he possesses enough physical talent. I hope this new and improved Geno translates to actual games, and I will wait until I see that before getting overly excited. Those at JI who remember my posts know that I was gun-ho about Geno last offseason, only for him to let me down, but he's still young, and still trying to get acclimated in the NFL coming from that air-raid system in WVU. Gailey will make the offense simpler for him and that alone gives me some hope....this team can make a lil noise with competent QB play so this is definitely a "put up or shut up" year for Geno....

Welcome. 

Thank you also the offensive skill position players were awful from 2012 until now. 

QBs can't throw it and catch it.  Anyone who thought that Smith would be good year one or two under the circumstance he was in was simply not being realistic.

CB and Gisele Bundchen birds of a feather.. :winking0001:

What days were you there? I went last year and he look great in TC. It does sound like he is much sharper.

As Garrard said part of the issue with Geno is he does great in drills and 7-on-7s in a controlled environment but once the bright lights are on he can't process the information quickly enough.

So while it's certainly better to be sharp in TC than not to be, at this point I need to see it in a game.

As Garrard said part of the issue with Geno is he does great in drills and 7-on-7s in a controlled environment but once the bright lights are on he can't process the information quickly enough.

So while it's certainly better to be sharp in TC than not to be, at this point I need to see it in a game.

Seriously! He's great in shorts, but he crumbles like a twig at the first sign of pressure. I hope he turns it around but he's really been dreadful.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Archived