WR dept. ~ ~ ~

kelly

The spotlight was planted firmly on Eric Decker last year.The Jets signed the wide receiver to a five-year, $36.25 million before last season, one of the few players then-general manager John Idzik spent money on. He was expected to boost the Jets’ offense, which had been searching for playmakers.

A year later, it would be too far to call Decker an afterthought, but he has ceded the spotlight to this year’s big acquisitions,like cornerback Darrelle Revis & fellow wide receiver Brandon Marshall.That’s fine with Decker, who had his share of frustrations in his first season in New York after leaving the Broncos. Decker injured his hamstring in training camp and the injury lingered for most of the season.

Decker was faced with trying to live up to being the big free agent signing with a new team, and he was doing it on one leg.“That’s part of it,” Decker said of the outside pressure. “But the pressure is what is internalized. You want to perform. You want to live up to expectations. Having that compound the issue with being new and trying to learn the offense and build a rapport with a new quarterback. That’s part of the life of an NFL player or just life in general. You’re going to go through some of those bumps. Now it’s what can I do to answer back from last year.”

It was not like Decker had a bad year in 2014. He caught 74 passes, the first Jets receiver to catch at least 70 passes since 2007, for 962 yards and five touchdowns. The hamstring injury flared up in camp, but Decker tried to play through it when the season started. He tweaked it again in Week 2 in Green Bay and then again in Week 4 against the Lions. He sat out the Jets’ 31-0 loss in San Diego, watching his teammates get pounded.“It was tough for me the fact that halfway through training camp I got hurt and it was lingering until shoot Week 8, Week 9,” Decker said. “The transition was tough and then the pressure of maybe come back too fast, do too much. The turnover we had made it tough on the quarterback. From the quarterback standpoint, you’ve got to build that relationship in this type of [training camp] atmosphere.You’re competing against your number ones. In practice you don’t really do that during the year.”

Decker said he did not feel like he could really open up running until December. His best game came in the season finale, when he caught 10 passes for 221 yards and a touchdown against the Dolphins in Miami. The yardage was seven yards shy of the franchise single-game record held by Don Maynard.Decker said even though the season ended that day, that game allowed he and quarterback Geno Smith to build a stronger bond.“It allowed us to have confidence in one another,” Decker said. “Trust is the number one thing in this game. You’ve got to be able to trust that we’re going to come out of our routes, that we’re going to make sure we break up a pass if need be. The quarterback has to trust you in the heat of battle. That was definitely a moment where I felt that we got on the same page and we were seeing the game the same way.”

Now, Decker will slide into the No. 2 receiver role after the team traded for Marshall in March. Decker, who played opposite Demaryius Thomas in Denver, knows that he will see more single coverage now and that could really open things up for him.“I just know from previous years and just the game of football, teams are going to have to look out for him and it’s going to balance things out and open up one-on-one opportunities,” he said. “Our run is going to set up our pass but with as many threats as we have on the outside it’s going to make it tough.”

New Jets coach Todd Bowles has had to defend these two receivers in the past and knows what kind of challenge this duo can present.“Those two guys have done it for a long time,” Bowles said. “They’re tall, they’re long, they’re tough. Hopefully, it’s an added dimension.”

http://nypost.com/2015/08/02/eric-decker-is-suddenly-in-the-shadows-and-loving-it/

~ ~  The Jets Go West

Before practice, the Green & White signed WR Jarrod Westicon-article-link.gif (6'2", 203), an undrafted free agent out of Syracuse who participated in the team's rookie minicamp in May.West played four seasons for the Orange and caught 134 passes for 1,836 yards (13.7 yards/catch) and four touchdowns. He had his most productive season as a senior last year with 49 receptions for 700 yards (14.3), although he had no TDs.He also completed one pass in his college career, for a 25-yard touchdown against Wake Forest as a junior.West joins Austin Hillicon-article-link.gif as WRs who have been added to the 90-player roster in the past week. He also joins S Durell Eskridgeicon-article-link.gif and DE Davon Wallsicon-article-link.gif as undrafted FAs on the roster with Syracuse ties.

And he'll wear uniform No. 1.

"No, I never wore No. 1 before," he said after practice. "I wore 88 at Syracuse and in high school I wore 9. The equipment room guys were short on numbers and said, 'You're going to have to wear No. 1.' I said that's fine. I'm pretty cool with it."

rest of above article :

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/NotesQuotes-An-Old-Wideout-Weighs-In/87e85d75-21f7-4755-82d0-90d11dc49a0b

-- At New York Jets practice Tuesday, during 11-on-11 drills, Darrelle Revis spent the bulk of his time covering one wide receiver.

No, it wasn't Brandon Marshall. And it wasn't Eric Decker, either.

Revis was marking Chris Owusu, who's been a pleasant surprise early in training camp."He’s smart, he’s steady, he’s more deceptive (than you think), he’s quicker than you think, he’s always in the right place and he’s young," Jets coach Todd Bowles said of Owusu on Saturday. "He just needs a chance to play."Owusu, 25, got a chance to play with the first string Tuesday, along with Marshall and Decker. Jeremy Kerley worked with the second unit.And Owusu continued to make plays -- beating cornerback Buster Skrine for a long gain early on, and a third-down catch over the middle late in the day.He wasn't perfect -- there were a couple completions he couldn't quite make. But then again, he had arguably the best cornerback in the NFL draped over him much of the time."It’s a privilege to go out with the [first unit], to compete with the best out there," Owusu said. "I’m not taking it for granted."

The Jets signed Owusu last September, after he was waived by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After going undrafted in 2012 out of Stanford, and brief stints with the San Francisco 49ers and San Diego Chargers, Owusu signed with Bucs but played in just 17 games in three years, with 16 catches for 158 yards.He started off on the Jets' practice squad but ended up playing in five games last season, including the final four. And in the season finale in Miami, he made a splash with a 36-yard reception, a 23-yard touchdown run and an 87-yard kickoff return.He also made waves with a video he posted to his Instagram account this spring, showing off some serious hops during his offseason training."We were just doing some explosive movements, they put some boxes up and wanted me to jump, and I Jumped," Owusu said. "I just wanted to go out there and post a little bit of what my training was like, and it kind of blew up."

Now Owusu is kind of blowing up here in Florham Park. And with the injury to second-round pick Devin Smith -- Smith is expected to miss most of training camp with broken ribs and a partially punctured lung -- there is a big opportunity for someone like Owusu to take advantage of."It’s been a dream of mine to play in the NFL," Owusu said. "To be here is such an honor, such a privilege. And to be with this team is such an honor and a privilege. I just wanna make the most of it."He may not be the most talented receiver on the roster, but he's probably the smartest. Owusu majored in human biology at Stanford.(Also, one of his younger brothers played defensive back at Harvard, another currently plays wide receiver at Stanford, and his sister played basketball at Columbia.)And he's smart enough to learn from going up against a guy like Revis.

"You have to bring your 'A' game every time," Owusu said. "It brings a focus to you, and to the receiving corps and to the quarterbacks, knowing there’s someone out there like that."The matchup will resume Wednesday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/52708/chris-owusu-carving-name-for-himself-at-jets-camp

To most Jets players, Wednesday was just another training camp practice under the humid sun, another day to get closer to the season.

But to Shaq Evans, it was a milestone.

It was the team’s sixth practice of camp — one more than he was able to participate in a year ago when he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury that required surgery.“This is my career high,” the 6-foot-1 receiver said jokingly.Evans was unsure if he would even have a spot with the Jets amid the organizational turnover when coach Rex Ryan and general manager John Idzik were fired. New general manager Mike Maccagnan wasn’t the one who drafted him the fourth round in 2014, and all new coach Todd Bowles knew of Evans was that he couldn’t make it through more than a week of training camp as a rookie.But after speaking with wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell, however, Evans was energized. Dorrell said he would be given a chance to prove himself and Evans spent much of the offseason working out at UCLA, his alma mater, getting stronger and improving his skills, all hoping to show the Jets he deserves a spot.“I knew this would be big, because they didn’t draft me,” said Evans, who caught 47 passes for 709 yards and nine touchdowns for the Bruins as a senior. “So I knew I had something to prove. I feel like I’m doing well out there, making plays, and knowing my assignments and being consistent. I feel like I’m off to a good start so far.“I’m trying to show them I’m a smart player. I can play any position they want me to play, and I know all the plays, and I won’t make the same mistakes twice. I feel like I haven’t done that this camp.”

Not only has Evans performed well and stayed healthy, but he caught a break when second-round pick Devin Smith, from national champion Ohio State, suffered broken ribs. That will cost Smith up to six weeks, opening up extra reps for Evans who already has impressed backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.“Shaq’s really jumped out the last few days with me in terms of how he’s caught the ball,” Fitzpatrick said. “He’s been catching ‘go’ balls. He’s been running some really nice routes over the middle where you have to make decisions, and he’s been making the right choices. He’s a pretty versatile receiver, which the system needs.”The real tests await starting Saturday in the Green & White Scrimmage, followed by four preseason games. That’s when Evans has to flash his potential — for the Jets or any other teams in the league if he’s squeezed out a spot because of the Jets’ wide-receiver glut.“It’s pressure, but I thrive on that. I love pressure,” Evans said. “I love the opportunity to make a play. When I’m out there getting those chances, I’m salivating, hoping the ball comes to me.”

Wide receiver Eric Decker likes what he’s seen from quarterback Geno Smith so far in Decker’s second season with the team.“Since the offseason, he’s done a good job of his accountability, his discipline, how he watches tape, how he comes to practice, accountability towards his teammates,” Decker said. “He’s definitely taking that leadership role. I just kind of watch him grow every day. He’s definitely done a terrific job.”Decker played two seasons with Peyton Manning in Denver, so he knows what leadership at the position looks like.“To be a quarterback you got to be confident in your ability, you have to be able to command the huddle, you got to be able to know the offense like the back of your hand,” Decker said. “It’s about decision-making. All those things are crucial to be a quarterback. Those are things that I continue to see growth [in from Geno].”“He’s a guy that’s on the right track. He’s made some really good decisions throughout camp. If he continues to do that, he’s going to have success.”

Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson missed his second straight practice with a hamstring injury. Bowles only would say Wilkerson is “day-to-day.”Wilkerson has refused to speak with reporters since suffering the injury Sunday.Bowles said they will be cautious with Wilkerson this early.“Starting out at the beginning of training camp guys are going to be a little tight and a little sore, so you want to err on the side of caution than the other side throwing him out there since it’s early in camp,” he said.

Third-round draft choice Lorenzo Mauldin got plenty of first-team reps on Wednesday at outside linebacker. Mauldin has been playing the strong side, backing up veteran Calvin Pace.“He’s got a motor, but he has a lot to learn mentally about the game as far as blocks and setting himself up, recognizing screens,” Bowles said. “He’s got a live motor and that’s impressive.”Bowles did say it’s way too soon to start talking about whether Mauldin could take the starting spot from Pace, who has been the Jets’ starting outside linebacker since 2008.“It’s way too early,” Bowles said. “Calvin’s played it. Calvin knows it inside out. Calvin’s our starting SAM [strong side] linebacker, Mauldin’s got to learn both positions.”

Jets training day

Getting offensive

The Jets’ offense had a good day. The unit seemed to take advantage of the defense installing some new blitzes and experimenting with looks. The highlight of the day was a 27-yard touchdown pass from Geno Smith to Eric Decker, who beat Darrelle Revis on the play.

Rusty Ryan

Backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick looks like he’s still shaking off the rust after missing the spring. Fitzpatrick looks hesitant at times and threw his first interception of training camp when linebacker Jamari Lattimore got him.

Caught my eye

The Jets did their first full-contact drills of camp, practicing short yardage and goal line. The offense scored on five of eight chances in the goal line drill with Chris Ivory rushing for two touchdowns on the starting defense.

Medical report

DE Muhammad Wilkerson (hamstring) missed his second straight practice.

>   http://nypost.com/2015/08/06/john-idzik-draft-pick-has-2nd-chance-to-stick-with-jets/

Today the Jets return to the Atlantic Health Training Center for several days of practice leading up to Thursday night's preseason opener at Detroit. And for the offense, that means that head coach Todd Bowles and coordinator Chan Gailey will continue tinkering with the chemicals in search of a winning formula.This after chemistry class for Geno Smithand Brandon Marshallresulted in an explosive reaction in the second half of Saturday night's Green & White practice at MetLife Stadium.

"I think this was a glimpse of it," Smith after he hooked up with the productive Marshall for 35- and 1-yard touchdown passes in the second half of the practice at MetLife Stadium. "His physical nature in the end zone, it’s kind of hard to guard that guy one-on-one. He can maybe draw some double-teams that can open up some things in the run game for us or even open up some things for other guys. We have to see. We have to keep working. Expectations are definitely high around here."

"I think Geno is doing a great job of developing chemistry with everybody on the offense. We need that," said Marshall in riffing off the theme of the evening. "As long as we can get better every single day, I think we’ll have a chance."Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't have as much benefit from that big 6'4", 229-pound target and those sure-handed grabs Saturday as he had during the previous week, but he's noticed the input from Marshall as well."Brandon's experience jumps out in terms of the amount of football he's played, his football smarts, and really, his maturity," Fitzpatrick said. "The way he goes about his business every day, taking care of his body, the communication with the quarterbacks and everybody else, he does a great job with that. Aside from all the physical attributes that he's always had, I think he's really matured as a person and a player."

Bowles likes the chemical attraction but says it's not confined to just Nos. 7 and 15."It's still developing, and [brandon]'s not the only guy," the coach said. "Eric [Decker] made some great catches over there as well, so the chemistry is still developing. It's not polished yet. He has to develop chemistry with all those guys, but he connected with him a couple of times tonight, so it was good to see."Overall, Bowles was fairly happy with his quarterbacks, with at least one caveat for Geno."The defense started fast and they ended slow," he said. "The offense started slow and they ended fast. Geno did some good things at the end. When guys weren't open early, he has to get rid of the ball, he has to learn to tuck the ball. He showed progress throughout the day, as did Bryce [Petty], as did Ryan."After a day away from the AHJTC on Sunday, the Jets are back in harness today, and Smith and Marshall say they have work to do."I just have to do a better job of running better routes," Marshall said. "It’s the dog days of camp and I have to make sure I’m at the right place for Geno so I can make it easier on him."

"It's a long process we have to go through," Smith added. "I keep talking about the process because it’s true. We have to continue to stay steadfast in our work and not get sidetracked by anything else."

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/A-Glimpse-of-the-Geno-Brandon-Chemistry/d2ea793d-21dd-463b-9d4f-4364e9a6a8d2

- For Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa, two young receivers vying for a spot on the Jets' roster, the competition at training camp initially was a bit surreal.

In middle school, they watched as Darrelle Revis dominated his coverages and emerged as one of the premier cornerbacks in the NFL. They can remember using Brandon Marshall to pull down passes in the end zone while playing Madden in high school.But when they're lining up with the first team -- as they did at camp Monday, opposite Revis and alongside Marshall -- all of that abruptly fades. Now it's about soaking up everything they can from them."They're always trying to make you better," Enunwa said. "The competition is the most exciting part, the biggest driving force for me. I go out there and I just try to be like them . . . or beat them."Added Evans: "You want to bring your 'A' game. And when you bring that intensity level every single day going against them, it becomes part of your DNA."

The Jets drafted both receivers in 2014. Evans is 6-1, 213 pounds and was a fourth-round pick from UCLA. Enunwa (6-2, 225) was selected in the sixth round out of Nebraska. Both stormed into training camp after facing adversity last year."Just the fact that I was on the practice squad last year was my motivation," Enunwa said. "This year, there's not really a hurdle because everybody has a fresh start. New coaching staff, new GM, so you really get an opportunity to just start over and impress the new guys."For Evans, a return from season-ending shoulder surgery, the second he's endured since graduating high school, proved a long and challenging road."My right arm looked like a noodle at one point," Evans said. "But the biggest thing about this game sometimes is the mental part . . . but I was able to stay focused and mentally strong."Both are in the mix for the fourth spot behind Marshall, Eric Decker and Jeremy Kerley.

"You just want to put yourself in the best position possible to make the team and leave your impression on the coaches," Evans said. "Whether you make the team here or if you make it somewhere else. Just stay consistent, stay focused, keep making plays, and the coaches will always have something good to say about you."

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/shaq-evans-quincy-enunwa-battling-for-spots-at-wide-receiver-1.10727156

Late December, 2014.  Before Rex Ryan was fired.  Before John Idzik was fired.  Before Geno pitched his perfect game.  John Idzik made a curious move immediately prior to the Jets' final game of the 2014 season.  He signed rookie wide receiver Quincy Enunwa off the practice squad and put him on the 53 man roster.  Enunwa did not play; he did not suit up.  Enunwa was not activated for that final game.  So why promote a guy for the final game and then not even activate him  ?

There is only one logical explanation for the move.  Immediately following a team's final game in any season, all of the players on the practice squad are released and become free agents.  In theory any of them could be signed by any other team to a futures contract, which essentially just ties these guys up until the start of the new league year.  In practice the vast majority of practice squad players are immediately re-signed to futures contracts by the team that just released them.  That's what happens most of the time, but not always.  Occasionally a practice squad player will be released and signed by another team.  So what does a team do at the end of the season if it has a practice squad player it really doesn't want to risk losing?  The team signs said player to the 53 man roster prior to the end of the season.  Any player on the 53 man roster at the end of the season remains under contract to the team, and is at no risk of being signed away by another team.

The obvious conclusion we reach concerning Enunwa is that John Idzik was especially keen on not risking Enunwa being signed by another team.  The Jets, like every NFL team, had ten players on the practice squad. In theory they could have signed all ten to the 53 man roster, but not without cutting ten guys already on the roster.  In practice the Jets found only one player on the practice squad they thought it necessary to protect from other teams' poaching: Quincy Enunwa.Fast forward eight months.  Some reports coming out of Jets camp suggest Enunwa is having an impressive training camp.  A few have even suggested that he might compete for the third wide receiver spot on the team. It would be an interesting development.  Enunwa stands 6' 2" and 225 pounds.  Combine him with the 6' 3" Eric Decker, 6' 4" Brandon Marshall, 6' 5" Jeff Cumberland and 6' 6" Jace Amaro and you may be looking at the biggest set of targets in the NFL.  In theory that could create some interesting mismatches, especially against teams with smaller cornerbacks.

I have certainly not been a fan of John Idzik's tenure with the Jets.  I was not a fan of Enunwa when he was drafted.  Other than his obvious impressive measurables I really didn't see much that suggested he could develop into a decent NFL wide receiver.  Nobody would be happier if  Enunwa proved me thoroughly wrong. It certainly would be a nice grace note to Idzik's career if his last move turns out to be one of his best.

> http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/8/13/9148557/ny-jets-idziks-last-move

Finally, some potentially good news for the Jets' offense.

Second-round pick Devin Smith, who was slated to miss most of training camp with broken ribs and punctured lungs, is still targeting the season-opener as his return date.He even got to move out of a special hospital bed that forced him to sleep while propped up to avoid further injury.

Kimberley A. Martin @KMart_LI

Devin Smith is "very confident" about being ready Week 1, but reiterates trainers/coaches will make call.

While Smith's speed and field-stretching ability can't hurt, having him on the field before he's ready will. At this point, the Jets' offense seems delicate enough with a mad scramble to find some chemistry.

In many ways, Smith's skill set is a luxury item right now. The Jets need incremental progress.But as the season wears on, his development will be watched closely. The team has struggled to develop their own skill position players over the years. Might he be different  ?

> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000510950/article/jets-devin-smith-still-targeting-week-1-for-return

Jeremy Kerley saw how the NFL works as a rookie when veteran wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery asked for and received his release days into the 2011 training camp. Cotchery was unhappy with his role. Now, Kerley may know how he felt.Curiously, the Jets’ new regime does not seem high on Kerley, who has been the team’s primary slot receiver since the middle of his rookie year. Kerley is losing playing time to second-year receiver Quincy Enunwa, who got all of the first-team reps in Thursday’s preseason opener in Detroit.

Jets coach Todd Bowles said it was purely based on a personnel grouping they were looking at, not because they are down on Kerley. But Enunwa is getting a lot of the first-team work in practice, too.“They’re competing for it,” Bowles said of the slot-receiver role. “Right now, [Kerley] is [the top slot receiver], but everybody is competing for it. We’ll see when a couple of games happen what happens.”

Kerley seemed mystified after the game Thursday and again on Sunday when asked about it, saying he’s received very little information from the coaching staff.“I guess I see what it is now,” he said.

Would he like more info ?

“I mean, it would be nice,” he said.

Kerley signed a four-year, $14 million extension in the middle of last season, but that was with former general manager John Idzik and former coach Rex Ryan.“It’s just part of the business,” Kerley said. “Positions get took. Guys move around. This is a new coaching staff. I signed my contract under a whole different organization. Everything is different now. The coaches have got to get a chance to know me, hopefully get a chance to see what I bring to the table.”

Rookie outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin had some issues in his first preseason game when it came to rushing the quarterback. He over-pursued on one play and missed a sack and was flagged for roughing the quarterback on another.It appears the coaching staff needs to rein him in.“You want to see him go full speed,” Bowles said. “You want to see him play smarter. His first time out the box, he was a little anxious. Probably hyperventilated in warmup a little bit, got gassed a little early, but he’ll be better.”

http://nypost.com/2015/08/17/jets-jeremy-kerley-perplexed-at-his-disappearing-role/?ref=yfp

-- Eric Decker was deployed last season in a fairly predictable manner. He almost always lined up as an outside wide receiver, making 67 of his 74 catches in that role and only seven in the slot, according to ESPN Stats & Information.Don't be surprised if you see a different Decker in 2015, meaning he could show up more often as a slot receiver.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey is working his receivers in multiple roles at training camp, trying to get a feel for what they do best. As a result, Decker -- the Jets' leading receiver last season -- has been practicing "a lot on the inside," he said.This certainly creates more flexibility in the passing game, and it also could explain why Quincy Enunwa -- not Jeremy Kerley -- is the third receiver, joining Decker and Brandon Marshall in three-wide packages. Kerley is a prototypical slot receiver, which limits them somewhat.

This is the time for experimenting.

"I like the versatility," Decker said. "You're not always on the outside, running the same routes. Inside, it's a different game. There are a lot of zone coverages, finding the holes. Against man coverage, you've got more space to work. It's a different mentality as far as the releases, spacing and leverage. Conceptually, it's just different, but it's an advantage. You are interchangeable, depending on what the defense does."Decker isn't a neophyte in the slot. His former team, the Denver Broncos, used him a lot, especially 2013 -- 33 of his 87 receptions came out of the slot. At 6-foot-3, he's not your typical slot receiver, but he's an excellent route runner with a feel for coverages, important traits when you're running routes in the middle of the field.

With Decker, Marshall (6-foot-4) and Enunwa (6-foot-2) on the field, the Jets will have one of the bigger receiving corps in the league. That could help in the running game -- better blocking -- but let's not lose sight of what's important. Receivers are paid to catch. Right now, the Jets are figuring out ways to get their best catchers on the field in different ways.It'll be interesting to see Decker now that he's healthy and has a No. 1-type receiver on the opposite side. His only two 100-yard games last season came in December, when his cranky hamstring had healed. (In fact, he closed with a 221-yard effort against the Miami Dolphins.) Some might say he benefitted from having Percy Harvin on the opposite side, but Harvin -- hampered by a severe ankle injury -- was a non-factor and didn't play in those particular games.

Decker did it on his own. Now he has Marshall and perhaps a new role.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53269/jets-wr-eric-decker-excited-about-possibility-of-new-role

–- When the New York Jets made a regime change and replaced former GM John Idzik, Quincy Enunwa could have been staring at a difficult situation.

Enunwa was drafted in the sixth round by Idzik last season and the most noise he made came off the field with a domestic violence charge that was later dismissed.Spending most of his rookie season on the practice squad, Enunwa could have been looking at having to find a new home when the Jets hired new general manager Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles.But the Nebraska product looked at the new shift in the Jets organization as a fresh start for himself as well. And fortunately for Enunwa, the new regime was well aware of him."I had to prove [myself] again," Enunwa said. "But it was good because everyone is on a level playing field."

"I talked to the GM when he got here and he said he scouted me when I was at Nebraska," Enunwa added. "Whether or not he actually was going to draft me or had any idea, just knowing that was cool. I had the mindset that I was going to impress whoever came [in]."Entering the pivotal third preseason game this weekend against the New York Giants, Enunwa has made a large leap from practice squad player to the Jets' third wideout. He has seen reps in the slot and is making a case to potentially play there when the season opens.Not bad for a receiver who has yet to record his first NFL regular-season catch.

Ever since rookie speedster Devin Smith suffered broken ribs and a punctured lung in practice early in camp, Enunwa has seen the majority of his reps with the first team alongside Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. Enunwa said he has played in the slot and on the outside with the Jets' receiving tandem.As of now, Bowles said he has not made up his mind over who will be his third wideout. Veteran Jeremy Kerley was thought to be the frontrunner for that spot before camp."There's another [position] that's battling," Bowles said of players he still needs to see prove something this weekend. "There are a bunch of them battling for that spot."[Enunwa] has been making progress as has all of them. It is tough for the ones that got injured but it is still a battle. I'll see after this game."

Kerley, who played in the slot last season, is recovering from a concussion suffered in the last preseason game. That gives Enunwa another prime opportunity against the Giants. So far, Enunwa has one catch for six yards in the preseason but he has seen the majority of his reps with the first team.Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who worked with new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey in Buffalo, said Gailey likes to take advantage of using personnel mismatches. Perhaps the Jets like Enunwa's size (6-2, 225) alongside the 6-4 Marshall and 6-3 Decker.On Saturday, Enunwa hopes to make a lasting impression on the coaching staff."[It's] going pretty well, had some mistakes here or there," Enunwa said. "I haven't made a lot of big plays but I have been doing my job well and that is one of the things they have noticed out there. It's just me being in the right spot and knowing what I am supposed to do."

"They [management] noticed me last year which is part of the reason why they kept me," he added. "I have been trying to pick up where I left off last year with the work I did behind the scenes."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53486/quincy-enunwa-looking-to-win-third-wideout-spot

Your questions, my answers on the New York Jets :

@RichCimini It seems new management has downgraded Jeremy Kerley.  Any idea why ? #jetsmail

-- It has been quite the training camp for Chris Owusu as the New York Jets wide receiver has turned heads with some very strong performances in early August, only to miss the next week with a concussion.  Now this week, he gets a chance to perhaps show if the hype matches reality in the Jets third preseason game at the New York Giants.But before the concussion, Owusu was one of the top performers in training camp and was looking the part of someone set to make the 53-man roster. He was making catches and wasn't just being a deep threat but was willingly going over the middle as well. Most importantly, he was holding onto the ball and staying healthy.Signed by the San Francisco 49ers as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2012, Owusu has never played a full season as he has just just 22 games and 30 receptions in three years in the NFL (20 of those receptions came in 2013). But he has talent and speed and big-play ability. When he was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last fall, the Jets and former general manager John Idzik jumped on him. He had potential, the most dreaded of words in pro sports.

Potential, at least a few weeks ago, was finally being realized for Owusu.

In training camp, especially in the early part before the concussion, Owusu was lining up against Darrelle Revis during many of the reps. The fact that he was making some plays against not just the top cornerback on the team but one of the best in the league is a testament to his growth as a player."It's tough. He's a top, first-class corner. You have to bring your A-game every time. It's fun to go against him every day. You have to adjust to patience, adjust to his strength. It makes you better. If you don't bring your best, he'll get the best of you," Owusu told Metro two weeks ago.He called it a "confidence booster even if you can get one catch on him." Owusu did that more than once before the concussion sidelined him.There was always a reason to get excited about Owusu, who was also a track star in high school before playing college football at Stanford.. At the NFL Combine in 2012, he ran a 4.36 time in the 40, tied for fifth best that year.But a history of concussions kept him from being drafted, this despite a solid college career and no character concerns.  But he's bounced around with the Jets now his fourth team in as many years.

Last season, he finished with catches in several games, including a 36-yard reception in a Week 17 win at the Miami Dolphins. He also was concussion-free with the Jets."It's something where you love to end the season in a good, positive way. But with new coaches, you want to come out and - we're all starting over with a new offense, a new defense, new special teams," Owusu said. "You always want to put your best foot forward. I think it is a testament to our receivers."This offseason, he focused on putting on some size - he's reluctant to say how much muscle mass he added but said simply "Power leads to more speed. So I tried to work on my explosive movements as well, working on football-oriented movements in the same way. Even working on your eyes."Yes, that's right, his eyes. Owusu left no stone unturned this offseason in a bold effort to make the Jets roster with a wide receiver corps that is as deep as any the franchise has had in recent years. He'll get a shot this Saturday night at the Giants where Owusu might be able to suit-up for his first time in preseason.

"The eyes track the ball. Eye movements, a lot of baseball players do that. I did some, tracking the ball, your eyes tracking the ball," Owusu said. "Being consistent with that. Not eyes exercises but really tracking and watching it. It's been helping me out there."

> http://www.metro.us/kristian-dyer/for-owusu-third-preseason-game-looms-large-to-make-roster/zsJohz---IZmGzoUd2TQY/

During Saturday night's game, something stuck out about the way the Jets were using wide receiver Quincy Enunwa. While nominally a wide receiver, it seemed like the Jets were using Enunwa as a tight end. Many people have noted Enunwa possibly replacing Jeremy Kerley as the third receiver on the roster. It felt like he was just as much subbing for an injured Jace Amaro.

Todd Bowles made reference to it today.

Eric Allen @eallenjets

Bowles on Enunwa as a hybrid WR/TE: He's kind of a tweener. It gives the opposition a problem. Kind of an interesting guy.

Jets WR Chris Owusu makes strong bid for roster spot

- Three positive performances and three negatives from the New York Jets' 24-18 win over the Philadelphia Eagles in the preseason finale :

THREE UP

1. Chris Owusu, wide receiver -- Acquired last season by John Idzik (remember him?), Owusu may have earned a roster spot with a strong finish -- five catches for 72 yards, including an 18-yard touchdown reception. The Jets have some tough decisions to make, but Owusu will be in the middle of the conversation.

rest of above article : 

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53814/jets-wr-chris-owusu-makes-strong-bid-for-roster-spot

Broken ribs are healing well for New York Jets wide receiver Devin Smith who continues to make progress in his recovery as he nears a full return. 

Smith suffered broken ribs several weeks ago in training camp and just now seems to be closing in on being available for a game sooner rather than later. The second round pick told Metro on Monday that his prognosis is improving and he even said he thinks there's a possibility of being in the mix to play on Sunday in the season opener against the Cleveland Browns. "Really just individuals. Just getting back into the flow of everything," Smith told Metro about what he did on Monday. "Getting used to having the pads and helmet on. Taking it slow and really just taking it day-by-day and by the end of the week we'll make a decision if I play or not." 

Smith had a sensational career at Ohio State and looked like the possible starter in the slot before he suffered the injury. He wouldn't speculate about whether he's healed enough to play on Sunday, only just that a decision will come later this week. During his press conference on Monday, head coach Todd Bowles said he didn't think Smith would be back and healthy. The rookie said he won't push to come back earlier if it jeopardizes his health and long-term availability. "Right now my main focus is my health right now. The last thing I want to do is go out there and thinking that I'm 100 percent  and I'm not and get hurt and be out there longer," Smith said. 

"Right now  really just taking it slow. Really being honest with myself and these coaches. Really not push it so I don't hurt myself again."

http://www.metro.us/sports/jets-rookie-devin-smith-nearing-full-return/zsJoig---tyBCmu1xUCL9s/

-- Jeremy Kerley is going ... going ...

He's not gone (yet), but he was virtually invisible Sunday in the New York Jets' 31-10 win against the Cleveland Browns. Kerley was on the field for only three plays -- one on offense, two on special teams (both punt returns). Basically, he was the 44th player on the 46-man active roster, ahead of only offensive lineman Dakota Dozier (one snap) and backup quarterback Bryce Petty (did not play). It has been a stunning downfall for Kerley, an integral part of the offense in past years.

We knew going into the game Kerley was no longer the No. 3 receiver, but what we learned Sunday is that he has slipped all the way to No. 5. Chris Owusu was No. 3, Quincy Enunwa No. 4. Rookie Devin Smith (broken ribs) is close to returning, which could create a dilemma. It makes little sense to activate a receiver on game day if he's limited to only a handful of plays -- that's poor roster management -- but Kerley is the only proven punt returner on the roster.

Coach Todd Bowles didn't offer much of an explanation when asked about Kerley's tiny role.

"He was in there," Bowles said. "We had Owusu in the game plan this week. That could be a different guy each week, according to what we think we can do."That may be true, but Kerley's role has been shrinking since the start of training camp, so there's no reason to think he'll return to a prominent position on offense. Don't be surprised if they try to trade Kerley. Problem is, his $2 million salary is guaranteed.

A quick look at the Jets' snap counts on offense (total: 61).

Wide receiver: Brandon Marshall 60, Eric Decker 55, Owusu 40, Enunwa 27, Kerley 1. Tight end: Jeff Cumberland 28, Kellen Davis 19. Running back: Chris Ivory 32, Bilal Powell 29, Tommy Bohanon 12. Quarterback: Ryan Fitzpatrick 61. Line: D'Brickashaw Ferguson 61, James Carpenter 58, Nick Mangold 60, Willie Colon 58, Breno Giacomini 61, Brent Qvale 5.

Analysis: Qvale made his NFL debut because they made Ferguson an eligible receiver on five plays in goal-line situations. ... As you can see, tight end doesn't have a huge role in Chan Gailey's offense. He used a bunch of four-receiver, one-back packages.

rest of above article :

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54155/examining-the-mysterious-disappearance-of-jets-wr-jeremy-kerley

-- Eleven months after signing a four-year, $16 million contract extension, Jeremy Kerley wonders about his future with the New York Jets. And with good reason, considering he played only one offensive snap in Week 1.

This much he knows: He's doesn't think he's a backup.

"I always see myself as a starter," Kerley told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "Whether it's here as my future or wherever my future is, I see myself as a starter."

Kerley said he hasn't considered asking for a trade. He also hasn't asked the coaches for an explanation. That, he believes, would be pointless."At this point, I don't really see what a conversation can do as far as changing people's minds," he said. "If they're set on their guy, I understand that. It is what it is."

For years, Kerley was the Jets' No. 3 receiver, even a starter at times. From 2012 to 2014, he played in 664, 567 and 734 offensive snaps, respectively. At the start of the offseason, new general manager Mike Maccagnan suggested Kerley could see an increased role.Uh, not exactly. He has been passed on the depth chart by Chris Owusu and Quincy Enunwa. When they used the three-receiver package against the Cleveland Browns, it primarily was Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Owusu, with Decker in the slot.

"I can't say I was too surprised, but getting only one snap on offense, I was a little shocked," Kerley said.The receiving corps could get crowded this week if rookie Devin Smith (ribs) returns. On Wednesday, he practiced at full speed, so there's a chance the second-round pick could make his debut Monday night against the Indianapolis Colts. Coach Todd Bowles was non-committal, saying it's too early to tell.

For now, Kerley's greatest value is punt returning. He's the only proven punt returner on the roster, which "makes me root for the defense that much harder," he said. "In college, my moments came from punt returning. That's what I was known for in college. It's no different now."

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54213/demoted-jets-wr-jeremy-kerley-i-see-myself-as-a-starter

–- Devin Smith is still a tad sore in his rib area but he's practiced full every day this week.

The rookie is eager to make his NFL debut and New York Jets head coach Todd Bowles says Smith's availability Monday against the Indianapolis Colts could likely be decided on game day based on personnel and schemes.Perhaps Bowles will also take into consideration Smith's familiarity with Lucas Oil Stadium.The last time Smith played there, he torched the Wisconsin secondary for four receptions for 137 yards and three touchdowns in a 59-0 Ohio State rout in the Big Ten championship game last December.

The Jets may decide to throw Smith's warp speed on the indoor turf against Indianapolis to give quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick a deep threat. So far, Fitzpatrick has Brandon Marshall as a mammoth target and Eric Decker to throw to in the slot.Smith could eventually work his way into the third spot which was something the Jets brass might've envisioned when they drafted the speedster with the 37th overall pick in the second round.

Smith's development was delayed when he broke his ribs and suffered a partially punctured lung."Right now, I'm a little sore," admitted Smith, who has played at Lucas Oil Stadium in the past two Big Ten title games. "[But] moving around, I feel pretty good."While offensive coordinator Chan Gailey says Smith has to catch up with all the practice time he missed since he suffered the injury at the start of camp, the receiver has been in his playbook and team meetings studying routes and the offense.

The Jets, though, want to ease Smith into action."I think right now as a rookie you would put him at a spot," Gailey said. "Not going to tell you which one. Put him at a spot and try to leave him there in order to keep it as simple as possible for him early in the year."If Smith is active, he also could see time on special teams as a gunner and a potential emergency option as a kickoff returner -– something the Jets have been trying him at in practice a bit.Smith certainly could be another weapon for the Jets' receiving corps. Marshall had six catches for 62 yards and a touchdown in his Jets' debut during a 31-10 win over the Cleveland Browns. Decker had two receptions for 37 yards and a touchdown while Chris Owusu played as the third receiver and had four receptions for 55 yards.

Gailey said he really liked what he saw in his three-wide sets with Decker playing inside."He's got a unique feel inside," Gailey said. "Some guys do and some guys don't. I've had some guys that couldn't play in there at all. We kind of threw him in there early and he had a great feel for it so we are going to working him in the slot there until he proves he shouldn't be there.

"I think he can be a big weapon for us inside."

That, of course, means Jeremy Kerley remains the odd man out on offense. Kerley was the Jets' slot guy but now he's been reduced to depth and the team's punt returner."I think at this point we got some roles defined," Gailey explained. "He fits a little bit of a lot of roles but not major in any of the roles at this point because we didn't have him for so long [because of injuries] so we started molding it around other things and we are where we are."Gailey added: "He is still going to have bits and pieces of things that we think he would make a difference on. But there's not enough room for everybody on every play. Unfortunately with the time he missed, this is a bad term -- you don't want to say odd man out -- but we haven't created the role for him yet that he will end up playing at some point for us."

It remains to be seen what role the Jets will create for Smith. But his debut is nearing and it could very well come Monday in a place he once starred.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54269/devin-smith-practices-full-again-as-debut-nears

@RichCimini do you expect devin smith to play over owusu? #jetsmail

@RichCimini: I'm not sure how they will arrange the pecking order at wide receiver, but it does appear that Devin Smith is ready to make his NFL debut. It'll be a game-day decision, according to Bowles. Smith has been practicing for two weeks without any restrictions, so if not now, when? They could use a deep threat on the field. Yes, the Jets played well on offense last week, but they didn't have anyone to stretch the defense. Sooner or later, especially against aggressive defenses, you need that guy. Otherwise, you end up playing on a 20-yard field, and that can be problematic.

In the opener, Ryan Fitzpatrick was 1-for-5 on passes that traveled at least 20 yards in the air, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The lone completion was a 43-yarder to Chris Owusu. I'm not knocking Owusu, who did a solid job as the No. 3 receiver, but the Jets have a lot invested in Smith, a high second-round pick. He was working at the No. 3 receiver early in training camp, when he busted his ribs, and I suspect he'll be deployed in that role on Monday night against the Indianapolis Colts, if he plays.

In three-receiver packages, they'd have Smith and Brandon Marshall on the outside, with Eric Decker in the slot. Obviously, Smith hasn't done anything on the NFL level, but people know his college track record. At Ohio State, he averaged 28.2 yards per catch and scored 12 touchdowns last season. All it takes is one successful deep shot to change the dynamic, forcing the opposition to adjust its approach.

I could see the Jets activating six receivers on Monday night. Remember, Owusu is the kickoff returner and Jeremy Kerley, despite having no role on offense, is the punt returner. Smith has been returning some kickoffs in practice, but he's never done it in a game. Nevertheless, he'd have a role on special teams as the gunner on punt coverage. Bottom line: I say activate the kid. Let's see what he can do.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54263/how-soon-before-jets-geno-smith-becomes-a-threat-to-ryan-fitzpatrick

— Devin Smith has been back practicing with the Jets for more than a week, and while he said Friday he feels "fine," head coach Todd Bowles has said Smith would be a game-time decision for Monday night's game at the Colts.Smith, a wide receiver and second-round draft pick, has been nursing broken ribs for about six weeks now. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said Friday that Smith would have a lot of catching up to do, and that even if he did play, it would likely be in a limited role.

The Jets drafted Smith to give them a vertical receiving option, something they lacked terribly last year. Smith's time will come soon enough. For now, NJ Advance Media had a chance to transitioning from college to the NFL, plus some other stuff.

You wore No. 84 for most of the offseason, then switched to No. 19 just after training camp ended. Why the change?

"I can't get away from the 9. It's been my number since high school [with the exception of at least one year at Ohio State, when Smith wore No. 15]. I don't know—9 was the perfect number." [Also, the NFL doesn't let wide receivers wear numbers between 1 and 9 during the regular season.]

Going from college to the NFL, what was the biggest thing you had to adjust to?

"Really just adjusting to the terminology. I'm playing with guys who've been in the league 10-plus years, as opposed to when I was in college, when I was the oldest one, or just a freshman and sophomore. I think really it's just the terminology from college to the pros. The speed of the game is pretty much the same; I think the difference is the knowledge of the game at this level is way higher than it is in college."

In what way? Do you mean that defensive backs can pick up on tendencies such as the way you (for example) drop your shoulder or move your hands when making a certain move?

"Yeah. Me being a receiver and me going up against a [defensive back] every single day, I've got to have certain footwork, or certain moves, or ways to get open because these DBs in these league are very, very smart. They watch tons of film. I think the key thing is when you get to this level—there's talent on every single team. You've got to have knowledge to back it up."

Leonard Williams [the Jets' first-round pick] had said he discovered he was a bit out of shape during the Browns game, mainly because everything he had done at USC was so regimented, whereas here you're more on your own outside of practices and meetings, etc. Has it been the same for you?

For me, it's no different, because when I was in college I ran a lot. Now that I'm here in the pros, I'm running a lot. The running part, to me, is easy, because I've done it so much and that's all I do. It's not really much of a difference for me.

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/09/jets_vs_indianapolis_colts_4_downs_interview_devin.html#incart_river

Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker rip apart Colts' secondary

-- Three stars and three duds from the New York Jets' 20-7 win over the Indianapolis Colts :

THREE STARS

1. Eric Decker/Brandon Marshall, wide receiver: They had their way with the Colts' undermanned secondary, combining for 15 receptions, 198 yards and two touchdowns. Decker was stunned the Colts stayed in their base defense against the Jets' three-receiver package, creating linebacker matchups for him. Ryan Fitzpatrick kept feeding Decker, resulting in an eight-catch, 97-yard first half. The Colts finally adjusted. By then, cornerback Vontae Davis (concussion) was out of the game, leaving them without their top three corners. Marshall couldn't be stopped. Not only did he have seven catches for 101 yards, but he drew four penalties. Todd Bowles said of Marshall, "He plays big-boy football." He carried two defenders into the end zone on his 15-yard touchdown. Cracked Willie Colon, "That's why he eats Wheaties and lifts those weights, so he can make plays like that."

rest of above article :

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54396/brandon-marshall-eric-decker-rip-apart-colts-secondary

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets could be without their No. 2 and No. 3 wide receivers when they play the Eagles on Sunday. We already know Eric Decker (knee) is iffy. Also: Chris Owusu (leg) could miss two weeks, Todd Bowles told ESPN NY radio. They might have to dust off former stalwart Jeremy Kerley. Rookie Devin Smith also could make his debut.

>     http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The Jets continue to get good news on knee injuries.

An MRI exam confirmed wide receiver Eric Decker only suffered a sprained left knee in Monday night’s 20-7 win over the Colts and is “day-to-day.”

Coach Todd Bowles said he is unsure if Decker will play Sunday against the Eagles.“I’m going to have to see how he’s doing later in the week,” Bowles said. “If he’s not moving well, obviously, he’s not going to play. Time will tell. He’s got a little bit of time. I’m hopeful, but it’s not out of the realm that he won’t play either.”Decker had eight catches for 97 yards and a touchdown on Monday night before suffering the injury.

The Jets could be thin at receiver. Chris Owusu also suffered a leg injury in the game. Bowles told ESPN Radio that Owusu may be out for two weeks. Owusu had a large ice wrap on his knee after the game.Rookie Devin Smith has yet to play as he recovers from broken ribs, but may need to be active this week. Smith practiced fully last week, but the Jets opted to keep him inactive.

“We didn’t want to throw Devin in as soon as he got back ready to practice,” Bowles said. “He’s got to get used to his pads. He’s got to get in shape. He’s got to learn some plays. There’s a process to go through rather than just throwing a guy out there.”

This could be an opening for Jeremy Kerley to get more playing time, too. Kerley played just one offensive snap Monday night, the second straight week he only had one.

“He hasn’t done anything (wrong),” Bowles said. “There are guys who are playing better and he got hurt and guys had opportunities.”

The Jets addressed the depth at wide receiver by signing Titus Davis, an undrafted rookie from Central Michigan, to the practice squad. They cut defensive end Jordan Williams to clear the roster spot. They worked out a number of receivers — including former Brown Terrelle Pryor and former Giant Corey Washington, according to a source.

>   http://nypost.com/2015/09/22/jets-eric-decker-gets-good-news-door-may-open-for-kerley/

-- Jeremy Kerley might finally get a chance to play this week.

The New York Jets will be down at least one wide receiver, and maybe two, against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday. Eric Decker (knee) did not practice Wednesday, nor did Chris Owusu (knee).Head coach Todd Bowles said Decker's status for the game is yet to be determined, but Owusu will have his injured knee scoped and be out "a week or two."That means Kerley should get some more snaps on offense. The five-year veteran has played just two offensive snaps in the first two games of the season."We’ve got other guys that gotta step up," Bowles said. "We may have to play Devin [Smith], we may have to play Kerley; we’ll see if we have to bring somebody in or get somebody off the practice squad."

Smith, the Jets' second-round draft pick, would be making his NFL debut after missing several weeks with broken ribs and a partially punctured lung. Bowles said Smith worked at full speed on Wednesday.But Kerley has been healthy all along. He had 38 catches for the Jets last season and led the team in receiving in 2012 (56 catches, 827 yards). Yet Bowles and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey have elected to play more inexperienced guys such as Owusu and Quincy Enunwa ahead of him."I don’t know what it is," Kerley said. "I’m not trying to put my finger on it. All I’m trying to do is go out and make myself better in practice. And when I get to the games, like I said, I stay ready all the time."

Kerley said he got increased reps in practice Wednesday, at both the outside wide receiver position and in the slot. But he doesn't believe he has anything to prove."I showed the coaches in OTAs, I showed the coaches in minicamp, I showed the coaches in [training] camp -- I don’t think it’s me showing the coaches that I can play. I think they know I can play," Kerley said. "It’s just an opportunity in itself. Unfortunately the guys got hurt. I just gotta go out there and do what I do, make plays."It appears the current Jets coaches aren't Kerley fans, but he does have a fan in fellow wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who spoke very highly of him on Wednesday.

"To have that much depth, we have a Jeremy Kerley that’s just sitting there and waiting, it shows how deep we are," Marshall said. "Jeremy is a [No.] 1, 2, 3 [receiver] on a bunch of other teams. So I’m excited that we have him, and we’ll see a very talented guy out there on Sunday."

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54425/opportunity-knocks-for-jeremy-kerley

The Jets may be woefully thin at wide receiver on Sunday against the Eagles.Neither Eric Decker (knee) nor Chris Owusu (knee) practiced Wednesday. Owusu, the team’s No. 3 receiver, already has been ruled out. Decker is in a wait-and-see situation.

“We’re going to see how he feels going forward this week,” coach Todd Bowles said.Owusu will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his knee and will be out a week or two, according to Bowles. The Jets face the Dolphins next week in London and then have a bye week.

The Jets could turn to rookie Devin Smith, who was inactive for the first two games as he recovered from broken ribs. Smith has been practicing fully since last week. It also could mean more playing time for Jeremy Kerley, who only has played one snap in each of the first two games.“We’ve got other guys that have got to step up,” Bowles said. “We may have to play Devin. We may have to play Kerley. We’ll see if we have to bring somebody in or bring somebody off the practice squad.”

rest of above article  

>    http://nypost.com/2015/09/24/decker-owusu-injuries-forcing-jets-to-consider-other-wr-options/

This might be the week that Devin Smith makes his long-awaited debut for the New York Jets as all signs point towards the wide receiver being back, ready and good to go.The team's second round pick, Smith practiced in full again on Thursday and perhaps not a moment too soon. The offense is without wide receiver Chris Owusu, who had his knee scoped this week and will be out three weeks. In addition, wide receiver Eric Decker suffered a knee injury on Monday night in a win at the Indianapolis Colts, casting doubt on his availability for Week 3. 

Smith suffered a ribs injury in training camp and didn't play in preseason or in the first two games of the regular season. He returned to the field last week and there was some thought he might play against the Colts but he was inactive. He told Metro on Thursday that he feels ready but he won't actually know how his progress has come until he steps on the field in a situation where he'll be hit and tackled. "I don't know if I can tell you, just because [there's no] tackling and everything. as of right now, this week, I'm feel pretty good," Smith said.  

"With the offense, I'm feeling pretty comfortable. For me, I feel like I haven't missed a beat. Just all about getting used to the whole process of hearing the play, going out there and executing, running the routes, those type of things. The more I did more and more, the more I'm feeling comfortable."Smith certainly brings a unique element to the team with very good speed and arguably the best feet of any wide receiver on the roster.His return adds a big-play element and he can help stretch the field.

But since he's missed seven weeks of practice and has yet to play a game for the Jets, Smith might not yet be ready to show his full potential at this point. "I don't think I have any rust because for the most part, I feel really good. I was out there practicing this whole week," Smith said. "I feel like the speed is still there, running routes really well."

>   http://www.metro.us/sports/jets-devin-smith-says-he-s-not-rusty-as-he-nears-return-vs-eagles/zsJoix---jYGwUbqqZZuHY/

-- Down two wide receivers, the New York Jets turned their desperate eyes to old friend Jeremy Kerley, who made it feel like old times.

After playing only one offensive snap in each of the first two games, the Forgotten Man played 71 of 79 snaps and caught six passes (including a touchdown), albeit it for only a 33-yard day. The Jets dressed only four receivers in their 24-17 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles, including rookie Devin Smith, so they really had no choice but to remove Kerley from moth balls.Was this a one-day reprieve or the start of something new? It's probably the former, but that depends on Eric Decker (sprained knee) and Chris Owusu (knee scope). We know Owusu won't play Sunday against the Miami Dolphins; Decker's status is up in the air. If he returns this week, it probably will mean a return to the bench for Kerley.

Kerley believes the team would be missing out if he goes back to the bottom of the depth chart."I feel like I am a quarterback’s best friend," he said. "I don't know, that's how I feel. I just feel like I move differently than everybody else out on the field."Everybody is different, everybody brings different talents to the game. I feel like my intangible is my ability to create separation and that is at the line of scrimmage. I don’t try to play outside myself. I know how to play within myself and use what I have to my advantage."

The problem is, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey prefers big receivers with versatility. Kerley is a smaller receiver who plays almost exclusively in the slot, Decker's new domain. The Jets will have a tough decision to make when Decker and Owusu are healthy. They probably want to keep Smith involved -- he's the prized draft pick -- but they're unlikely to dress six receivers for a game. Kerley is the only punt returner, so that creates roster-management issues.

Speaking of Smith, he played a lot more in his debut than anyone expected -- 64 snaps. It wasn't an eye-popping day, as he caught only three for 39 yards (nine targets) and he contributed to an interception by not fighting for a 50-50 ball in the end zone.

rest of above article :

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54578/jets-wr-jeremy-kerley-lobbies-for-action-calls-himself-a-qbs-best-friend

–- Chan Gailey wondered if some of the things he had heard about Brandon Marshall’s reputation were true.“I heard all the bad rumors,” the Jets offensive coordinator said. “Sure, we did.”But any concerns Gailey might have had about working with Marshall were put to rest when they had lunch on his first visit to the Jets’ facility. Gailey described the meeting as “refreshing.”

High-maintenance diva receiver? Gailey says Marshall has been anything but that.“Wonderful,” Gailey boasted when asked to describe what his working relationship is with Marshall. “Not just good. Wonderful.“He’s a pro,” Gailey continued. “He understands about how to go about working on the practice field. He has good ideas, but he’s not hard-headed. He listens to all the things that are going on. He just has a healthy respect for the game and where he is in his career and what he wants to accomplish.”

Of course, Marshall already had people who could speak about his character in the organization. Head coach Todd Bowles, wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell and defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers were assistants in Miami when Marshall was there in 2010-11.“I knew what I was getting because I’ve known him for a long time,” Bowles said of Marshall. “I knew the Brandon that was coming in here so I was fine with it.”

So far, Marshall has brought what the Jets envisioned. He has 23 receptions for 272 yards and three touchdowns in three games. The receiver’s biggest error thus far was his self-admitted bone-headed lateral attempt last week in the Jets’ loss to the Eagles.“Probably [the] worst play in NFL history," said Marshall, who was hard on himself.

As for that difficult reputation that some pegged Marshall with before coming to New York, Gailey was asked if he sometimes braces for some of those rumors he heard to surface later with the Jets.“Oh sure you do,” Gailey said. “The old saying ‘Where there is smoke, there’s fire’ -- that fits at time.

“But it certainly didn’t fit in this time.”

>       http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54673/chan-gailey-brandon-marshall-erased-doubts-about-reputation

Marshall seemed to care more about winning than Cutler, and was vocal about it. So yea, since he's black - he gets called "difficult" or "diva". 

If Cutler was the vocal one, he'd have "competitive fire" and "grit" and other Favre-ian white adjectives. 

Marshall seemed to care more about winning than Cutler, and was vocal about it. So yea, since he's black - he gets called "difficult" or "diva". 

If Cutler was the vocal one, he'd have "competitive fire" and "grit" and other Favre-ian white adjectives. 

To be fair, Cutler has quite a bit of a diva rep too.  I don't think people call Marshall difficult because he is black - it is more the domestic violence, arrests, and being stabbed by his wife.

Kenbrell Thompkins Signed to Practice Squad

WR Played with Patriots & Raiders in 2013-14; WR/KR Walt Powell Is Released from P-Squad

The Jets have signed wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins to their practice squad. To make room on the 10-man squad, they have released WR/KR Walt Powell.Thompkins (6'0", 196) signed as an undrafted free agent out of Cincinnati with New England after the 2013 draft. He played 14 games with nine starts for New England in 2013-14, catching 38 passes for 519 yards (13.7 yards/catch) and four touchdowns. Four catches for 63 yards came in the two games against the Jets in '13.

Last season he left the Patriots after two games for the Raiders, playing 12 games (six starts) for the Silver & Black with 15 catches for 209 yards (13.9).Powell returned eight kickoffs and 12 punts in four games for the Jets last season. This preseason he had a 54-yard punt-return touchdown at the Giants.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/Kenbrell-Thompkins-Signed-to-Practice-Squad/6e6468b1-b854-4500-97a2-59461e5b4544

Archived