Right Guard

Obrien2Toon

So all off season we have all been saying its Oday's job or possibly they can get one more year out of Colon. Or hopefully Dozier or Harrison could surprise.

Now a couple days into camp and it's a battle between Winters and Qvale?!?

WTF happened and where are the other guys? I thought they were trying a switch to center for Winters as some sort of last ditch effort to get something out of him. And when did Qvale enter the picture?

Someone (KRL?) speculated that it seems like they want more of a mauler at RG, and he doesn't think Aboushi has the right body for it.

Maybe Qvale has always been a great prospect, but Rex never talked about him because he didn't know how to pronounce his name...

I like the platoon rotation.

Bodies will go down due to injury, as long as we build depth by getting as many bodies as many reps as possible we should be fine.

While 2007 showed us the importance of a COMPETENT & CAPABLE Guard, it's not the highest skill level required to hold down the job. Our great '97 turnaround had Lonnie Paleili and Lamont Burns as our starting guards for most of the year. Our great team of '98 it was Todd Berger and Matt O'Dwyer. Parcells prized FA that year was a 4 year veteran center from Seattle.

Poor man's OTs become serviceable Gs in the NFL. We have enough bodies to plug into the RG spot and its not a material issue to be concerned about.

Bodies will go down due to injury, as long as we build depth by getting as many bodies as many reps as possible we should be fine.

While 2007 showed us the importance of a COMPETENT & CAPABLE Guard, it's not the highest skill level required to hold down the job. Our great '97 turnaround had Lonnie Paleili and Lamont Burns as our starting guards for most of the year. Our great team of '98 it was Todd Berger and Matt O'Dwyer. Parcells prized FA that year was a 4 year veteran center from Seattle.

Poor man's OTs become serviceable Gs in the NFL. We have enough bodies to plug into the RG spot and its not a material issue to be concerned about.

O'Dwyer played Guard in 1997 also Burns only played a couple of games..

O'Dwyer played Guard in 1997 also Burns only played a couple of games..

Correct. My bad. O'Dwyer started 15, Paleili started 14, Burns started 3 in '97.

Berger & O'Dwyer started all 16 in '98

You tend to focus on the immaterial portion, let alone THE POINT, of my post that Gs are not highly prized skill wise, and we have enough bodies to fill the position adequately.

Thanks for being a stickler though.

Exactly.  And given how little the game has changed between 97-98 and today, I don't see how anyone can argue.

Correct. My bad. O'Dwyer started 15, Paleili started 14, Burns started 3 in '97.

Berger & O'Dwyer started all 16 in '98

You tend to focus on the immaterial portion, let alone THE POINT, of my post that Gs are not highly prized skill wise, and we have enough bodies to fill the position adequately.

Thanks for being a stickler though.

No problem I will try not to bring facts to anything you post in the future.. :winking0001:

Exactly.  And given how little the game has changed between 97-98 and today, I don't see how anyone can argue.

The game has not changed at all in terms of OLine play. That has actually been the only constant of the game in the last 18 years. So yes, thanks for the validation.

You know those guys that take the caps off in the supermarket and actually smell the deodorants? I hate those guys. It's like hey man get your nose molecules away from that new deodorant that you're not going to buy.

How else do you know what it smells like if you dont sniff first? 

The game has not changed at all in terms of OLine play. That has actually been the only constant of the game in the last 18 years. So yes, thanks for the validation.

dont be ridiculous.   in 1997&1998, offenses ran more and took deeper drops when passing.  DTs were primarily run stuffers (Sapp and Randle and a career year from Stubblefield aside), and pass rushers were primarily coming from the outside in.  OGs rarely had to be more than barely competent in pass blocking and mauling run blockers.

These days, offense is much, much more pass-heavy, and those passes are much more likely to be out of three step drops than five, let alone seven.  The result is a much more middle-centric pass rush, whether from DTs, double-A-gap blitzes, or stunts.  It's why the LT position has been relatively devalued, and the G and C positions have higher relative value on the OL than they did 20 years ago.

So yeah, OL play is still basically the same - block the guy in front of you [and we'll just leave out zone concepts and their proliferation for ease of discussion] - but that's like saying QB play is still the same (get the ball to the right WR) or RB play is still the same (don't fumble, gain yards, score TDs.  The basic mechanics haven't changed, but the positional emphases and distribution of skills absolutely have.

So all off season we have all been saying its Oday's job or possibly they can get one more year out of Colon. Or hopefully Dozier or Harrison could surprise.

WTF happened and where are the other guys? I thought they were trying a switch to center for Winters as some sort of last ditch effort to get something out of him. And when did Qvale enter the picture?

Not me. I have been saying Oday played one good game. One. Apparently, that was enough for Jets fans to start talking him up like he was the next Brandon Moore and not bother paying attention to his other games. He is not, and never will be a quality starter. A mediocre backup is all he is capable of.

Not me. I have been saying Oday played one good game. One. Apparently, that was enough for Jets fans to start talking him up like he was the next Brandon Moore and not bother paying attention to his other games. He is not, and never will be a quality starter. A mediocre backup is all he is capable of.

Yeah, jets fans are an overly optimistic group of homers.

Too many gave up on Winters too soon kid has talent, nobody has patience for young talent to develop.

I'd be surprised if Colon won the job, considering he's getting vet min, there is a chance.

Haven't seen or read much about Aboushi, Winters has been starting and in the mix since mini-camp.

Archived