Kristian Dyer: Geno's Rough Day

AFJF

http://www.metro.us/kristian-dyer/jets-notebook-geno-s-rough-day-mo-out-on-tuesday/zsJohe---JqkUMULFnsJ7U/

Good article at the bottom of the page too about five players who stood out.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. – Geno Smith had his first turnover of training camp as the New York Jets quarterback finally looked human on Tuesday, the fifth day of training camp.

The turnover was a fumble on a play in the two-minute drill but likely never would have happened in a real game setting. Since there was no hitting in practice, the play likely would have been a sack or Smith would have thrown the ball away. But rolling out to his right, Smith kept the ball exposed as defenders bypassed him, unable to hit the quarterback. And as he went towards the sideline, he saw it stripped.

In all likelihood, the play never would have gotten to that point in a real, live-action setting.

“It was just a bad decision. It was his first turnover of camp. You don't blow that out proportion,” head coach Todd Bowles said of the moment. “You talk about it, you recognize it. At the end of the game, you have to let the ball fly. You can't hold onto it.”

It was a rough day overall for Smith, who struggled to lead the offense. It was a good day for Ryan Fitzpatrick, who seemed confident in his throws and showed a very quick release.

Smith has yet to throw an interception in training camp with Tuesday's fumble the loan blip on the turnover chart. He had a rough day after four relatively solid outings to start camp.

Bowles didn't seem overly concerned about the incident.

“It's been fine up until this standpoint. You don't know about live bullets, you got to learn how to slide,” Bowles said. “Some of those quarterbacks get cocky and try to make the yards and get blown-up.

“Up until this standpoint he's been fine.”

JETS NOTES

→ Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson did not practice on Tuesday as the fallout continues from his hamstring injury on Sunday. Wilkerson road the stationary bicycle and worked with the rehab group. He also watched the defense in drills from the sideline.

Bowles said the injury was “day-to-day.”

→ Bowles was asked about cornerback Antonio Cromartie on Tuesday during his press conference. Having coached Cromartie last year with the Arizona Cardinals where he was the defensive coordinator, the question was if Bowles learned anything new about the player.

“He talks a lot,” Bowles said with a laugh before turning serious.

“I didn't know the work ethic, the way he studies film during the season and game week. Come Monday, he already has a jump on the opponent. I didn't know the person, I didn't know how professional he was. I thought that was understanding. I didn't know that.”

–> One name making a statement through five days of camp is wide receiver Shaq Evans. A mid-round pick last year, Evans was injured and missed the entire season and seemed unlikely a week ago to make the 53-man roster.

Now through the first five sessions of camp, Evans has stood out.

“Evans has been steady. Nothing stood out or really nobody right now,” Bowles said. “He's been working hard and running routes and he'll get a shot as the days go.” 

this was the key part of Bowles statement about Geno - "You don't know about live bullets"

so far he's done reasonably well this TC without pressure ... let's see what happens Aug 13th when then Ndamukong Suh-less Lion's D comes after him

I LOVED Geno at WV.  But after fumbling many games in a row, years in a row,  to see him benched last year and then come back and continue to hold it like a loaf of bread is shameful.

I dont get it.  STOP running with the ball out in the open with one hand.

He routinely does or attempts to do not-so-little things no quarterback is coached to do. What really drives me nuts is how often he runs himself right out of the play. What worked at WVU doesn't work in the NFL, as evidenced by his leading the NCAA in pass completion rate. He simply sucks, we're just going to sit around until it's proven beyond shadow of doubt. 

Despite his bad day, Kirwan and Miller said he was clearly the best QB on the field yesterday and said it was obvious the players consider him the guy. Even the Geno hater Miller, said that Geno looks like a different QB than he has seen before, Why do so many have to just concentrate on the bad and almost hope Geno does poorly? As much as I hated Rex, when the new season started I gave him all the benefit of the doubt I could that it would be the year he got it as HC

He routinely does or attempts to do not-so-little things no quarterback is coached to do. What really drives me nuts is how often he runs himself right out of the play. What worked at WVU doesn't work in the NFL, as evidenced by his leading the NCAA in pass completion rate. He simply sucks, we're just going to sit around until it's proven beyond shadow of doubt.

Based on this reply, it sounds like you didn't ever watch him at West Virginia. Not that it ultimately matters, just can be funny watching people try to further their arguments anyway they can.

Despite his bad day, Kirwan and Miller said he was clearly the best QB on the field yesterday and said it was obvious the players consider him the guy. Even the Geno hater Miller, said that Geno looks like a different QB than he has seen before, Why do so many have to just concentrate on the bad and almost hope Geno does poorly? As much as I hated Rex, when the new season started I gave him all the benefit of the doubt I could that it would be the year he got it as HC

funny to hear they said that ... sounded like most of the tweets and info the other talking heads said was that all the QB's played poorly yesterday ... what i had been reading/hearing seemed like Fitz played least badly of the 3 yesterday.

however in general word is, besides yesterday, Geno has been performing reasonably well so far in TC.  I certainly am hoping he is able to play that way preseason week 1 vs. Detroit when the bullets are live.

I LOVED Geno at WV.  But after fumbling many games in a row, years in a row,  to see him benched last year and then come back and continue to hold it like a loaf of bread is shameful.

I dont get it.  STOP running with the ball out in the open with one hand.

How hard could it be to learn to tuck it away?

It was reported yesterday that both Brady & Garrapolo had bad practices yesterday. You guys are looking for Robo QB which doesn't exist.

Do any of you have a bad day?

New system, 5 days into camp, I mean seriously, fans need to take a step back from the negative reporting. Every single reporter twittering, blogging ect. is hoping for something bad to occur, it's what they thrive on.

Good news is boring.

Plus they at least reported that it "probably woudnt even have occurred in live action" as it was a drill where he would have already been sacked but it was a no hitting drill.

funny to hear they said that ... sounded like most of the tweets and info the other talking heads said was that all the QB's played poorly yesterday ... what i had been reading/hearing seemed like Fitz played least badly of the 3 yesterday.

however in general word is, besides yesterday, Geno has been performing reasonably well so far in TC.  I certainly am hoping he is able to play that way preseason week 1 vs. Detroit when the bullets are live.

Yeah they sort of bashed all the QBs at the beginning but said that Geno was clearly the best. Said he has significantly more arm strength than Petty and that Fitz has literally none all of his balls floated in the wind. Geno hinted in his interview that MMs system was super super complicated, but that Gailey's is both simpler but has more freedom and more adjustments to the opposing defenses. 

It was reported yesterday that both Brady & Garrapolo had bad practices yesterday. You guys are looking for Robo QB which doesn't exist.

Do any of you have a bad day?

New system, 5 days into camp, I mean seriously, fans need to take a step back from the negative reporting. Every single reporter twittering, blogging ect. is hoping for something bad to occur, it's what they thrive on.

Good news is boring.

Plus they at least reported that it "probably woudnt even have occurred in live action" as it was a drill where he would have already been sacked but it was a no hitting drill.

Yeah I noticed how that wasn't brought up by the people bashing him in this thread..  Still Geno has to realize with his history of turnovers he will not get the benefit of the doubt.   Garrapolo can suck donkey balls, Geno doesn't have that luxury. 

Why do so many have to just concentrate on the bad and almost hope Geno does poorly?  

I've personally seen enough of Geno as starting QB of the NYJ. Zero confidence he elevates the Jets when we need him to. But a training camp Montana? A perfect passing ratings when we're 3-12 in a meaningless finale? That's our Geno.

And this season the waters are getting choppy before the start of preseason.

I LOVED Geno at WV. But after fumbling many games in a row, years in a row, to see him benched last year and then come back and continue to hold it like a loaf of bread is shameful.

I dont get it. STOP running with the ball out in the open with one hand.

Geno is gonna have a break out year this year. Mark my words. I'm not just saying that to be optimistic, I'm saying it because I think it's damn true, and you should too!

Got to wait for preseason to make any judgements. First of all the Jets defense is really good and if Geno looks shaky that is a bit understandable. I don't go in for making absolute statements until we see what he does against other teams "live bullets"

Geno is gonna have a break out year this year. Mark my words. I'm not just saying that to be optimistic, I'm saying it because I think it's damn true, and you should too!

I lost about $300 last year betting the JETS would be better than 8-8. I based that on Geno finishing his rookie season strong.

Well....  we all know what happened.  I hope you are right.

Based on this reply, it sounds like you didn't ever watch him at West Virginia. Not that it ultimately matters, just can be funny watching people try to further their arguments anyway they can.

My point cannot be more apt.  

I certainly did see him play, he was in total command of his game and (usually) made the defense try and keep up with his offense.  Since he's been a starter for the Jets we look to running backs to save us. He is hot garbage until proven otherwise. 

Really would like to see where the Geno backers draft GS in their fantasy football leagues, especially with his new "weapons".  

Archived