Camp Tweets 8/6

flgreen

Just got home and read through all of these tweets. Looks like Idzik's draft picks/players he brought in dominated today's camp. 

Maybe the problem was coaching.

Or maybe instead of coaching the old tried and true adage that it takes 3 years to judge a draft is actually true and the needy instant gratification fans aren't?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, Idzik totally created Decker. Made him in his kitchen, actually.

You want to make it about Rex, go ahead. I'm sure Rex didn't do enough with McDougle last year. Shaq and Enunwa were rookies last year Shaq went on IR, while both and drafted in the 4th and 5th round, so Rex gets the blame for not developing them fast enough, right?

So yeah, I'm not asking you to crown anyone but let's slow down a bit, especially using a week and a half of training camp to make a point.

Idzik doesnt create anyone, he makes the decisions in regards to the talent that the Coach has access to. I dont know why you're defending Rex so strongly while trying to pretend like Idzik (or Tanny) provided nothing whatsoever. Then again, this is what many Jets fans do regarding this topic. Rex Ryan has been the Jets head coach for 6 years. Name me 1 offensive player he's developed? Actually, name me any player he's developed, no matter the side of the football. The only player that I've seen drafted by the Jets that actually developed into a starter was Demario Davis. 6 years worth of draft picks and the result was Demario Davis. 

And when I say developed I dont mean a guy like Sheldon who was a 1st round pick. Those guys are expected to be good and start. But with that said He's even bust in the 1st round with a position he covets most...corner (Kyle Wilson). Go back and look at our picks the past 6 years and you tell me. Now You could say that that was Tanny and Idzik's fault but I doubt that Tanny, the guy in charge of bringing in talent prior to Rex becoming coach (that built those AFCCG teams) suddenly forgot how to draft talent. And even when the GM changed, the results didnt. Now Im not saying that Tanny didnt make mistakes. Vlad Ducasse was certainly one, Vernon Gholston etc. So please, dont turn my statements to anything extreme. My point is Rex Ryan had to be one of the worst coaches when dealing with young developmental talent. Thats an irrefutable fact. If you're a guy who is either already developed or a star in the league then that works for Rex, but I've never seen Rex work with and develop Talent. Dude couldnt even involve himself with the offense. 

This isnt about me slowing down, you're defending Rex, which is cool if you feel like he was successful. I disagree. I think he took two teams to the championship game that he didnt build and in the following years he couldnt build a team and replenish talent himself. And thats not even getting into his infatuation with maintaining loyalty with trash position coaches, Sanjay Lal for example. 

You used the excuse of "guys being rookies" last year but I dont see that excuse when people took turns trashing Calvin Pryor and calling him "another Idzik failure". It was cool then of course. Seems like the excuses only happen when its time to defend those 4 terrible years Rex was in charge of. 

Or maybe instead of coaching the old tried and true adage that it takes 3 years to judge a draft is actually true and the needy instant gratification fans aren't?

I wouldnt argue this. 

I just wished you'd been around the past 2 years to say this in all of the "Geno sucks" threads and "Calvin Pryor is another Idzik failure" threads. Why does it take me criticizing the prior coaching staff, who in 6 years only produced one developmental player in Demario Davis, to now hear such a sensible comment? Now im not saying that I havent been critical of guys like Geno. Im just find it funny when im critical of the prior coaching staff those guys are given endless passes, to the point of even saying that we need to give our young players "time". 

However I will stand by my words. I got 6 years worth of young talent going down the drain to support my initial statement. 

Idzik doesnt create anyone, he makes the decisions in regards to the talent that the Coach has access to. I dont know why you're defending Rex so strongly while trying to pretend like Idzik (or Tanny) provided nothing whatsoever. Then again, this is what many Jets fans do regarding this topic. Rex Ryan has been the Jets head coach for 6 years. Name me 1 offensive player he's developed? Actually, name me any player he's developed, no matter the side of the football. The only player that I've seen drafted by the Jets that actually developed into a starter was Demario Davis. 6 years worth of draft picks and the result was Demario Davis. 

And when I say developed I dont mean a guy like Sheldon who was a 1st round pick. Those guys are expected to be good and start. But with that said He's even bust in the 1st round with a position he covets most...corner (Kyle Wilson). Go back and look at our picks the past 6 years and you tell me. Now You could say that that was Tanny and Idzik's fault but I doubt that Tanny, the guy in charge of bringing in talent prior to Rex becoming coach (that built those AFCCG teams) suddenly forgot how to draft talent. And even when the GM changed, the results didnt. Now Im not saying that Tanny didnt make mistakes. Vlad Ducasse was certainly one, Vernon Gholston etc. So please, dont turn my statements to anything extreme. My point is Rex Ryan had to be one of the worst coaches when dealing with young developmental talent. Thats an irrefutable fact. If you're a guy who is either already developed or a star in the league then that works for Rex, but I've never seen Rex work with and develop Talent. Dude couldnt even involve himself with the offense. 

This isnt about me slowing down, you're defending Rex, which is cool if you feel like he was successful. I disagree. I think he took two teams to the championship game that he didnt build and in the following years he couldnt build a team and replenish talent himself. And thats not even getting into his infatuation with maintaining loyalty with trash position coaches, Sanjay Lal for example. 

You used the excuse of "guys being rookies" last year but I dont see that excuse when people took turns trashing Calvin Pryor and calling him "another Idzik failure". It was cool then of course. Seems like the excuses only happen when its time to defend those 4 terrible years Rex was in charge of. 

Okay, that's a lot of words, you're turning into a dimestore Sperm. I guess when you talk out of two sides of your mouth, that tends to happen. You take one first round pick and say he's supposed to be great, (which he was right away) and then another first round pick and say "welp, he wasn't developed" "it's too soon to call him a failure"

What you're doing right now is spreading the argument. Instead of it being solid (the specific point I was making), it is now gas (your soliloquizing) If you don't think guys are going to be better in their second year, especially guys that were essentially redshirted by injuries, I don't know what to tell you and then conversation (if that's what this is) is essentially, pointless.

I wouldnt argue this.

I just wished you'd been around the past 2 years to say this in all of the "Geno sucks" threads and "Calvin Pryor is another Idzik failure" threads. Why does it take me criticizing the prior coaching staff, who in 6 years only produced one developmental player in Demario Davis, to now hear such a sensible comment? Now im not saying that I havent been critical of guys like Geno. Im just find it funny when im critical of the prior coaching staff those guys are given endless passes, to the point of even saying that we need to give our young players "time".

However I will stand by my words. I got 6 years worth of young talent going down the drain to support my initial statement.

You seem to have forgotten about Snacks. Kerley is another.

Okay, that's a lot of words, you're turning into a dimestore Sperm. I guess when you talk out of two sides of your mouth, that tends to happen. You take one first round pick and say he's supposed to be great, (which he was right away) and then another first round pick and say "welp, he wasn't developed" "it's too soon to call him a failure"

What you're doing right now is spreading the argument. Instead of it being solid (the specific point I was making), it is now gas (your soliloquizing) If you don't think guys are going to be better in their second year, especially guys that were essentially redshirted by injuries, I don't know what to tell you and then conversation (if that's what this is) is essentially, pointless.

You can call it what you want (Sperm) but you ignored my questions. Name me a player that Rex developed? And I'll keep this short for you since reading is suddenly too much. 

Rex was successful with teams he didnt build, once those teams aged and/or left, he couldnt develop players to remain competitive. So im not spreading words, thats EXACTLY what happened. 

Statements like that show how biased you are with Rex hate.. While I agree Rex leaves a lot to be desired on the offensive side, Davis is the only player develped in 6 years under Rex?? Ever hear of a 3rd round bust called Pouha? Or how about Mo,Sheldon plus I think Coples is a starter last time I looked.. How about UDFA's like Snacks or Mike Devito?? On the offensive side Greene,Slauson,Powell and Kerley were starters I seem to recall. Did Mangini ever have the number 1 D or the top rushing game??  :animal0029:

You seem to have forgotten about Snacks. Kerley is another.

You're right. Snacks is a beast. I didnt forget about Kerley though. Kerley has the potential, but his productivity is that of a JAG, which is precisely my indictment of Rex and his coaching staff. 

I wouldnt call Demario Davis production "JAG" status. He's averaged over 100 combined tackles 2 of his 3 years and have gotten better in every major category the following year. Kerley showed much potential in his 2nd season but has regressed since then. His numbers are nothing to blush at, and its not that he cant be that player, to the contrary, I believe that he hasnt consistently produced at his best because of the coaching staff. 

Also, it would be safe to say that an entire team turns over every 3 to 4 years, keeping your core 6 to 7 main guys. Rex has been here for 6 years, which would average two turn over teams. Go from those AFCCG teams and go position by position and you tell me if we've gotten better or atleast stayed consistent as a team. 

Statements like that show how biased you are with Rex hate.. While I agree Rex leaves a lot to be desired on the offensive side, Davis is the only player develped in 6 years under Rex?? Ever hear of a 3rd round bust called Pouha? Or how about Mo,Sheldon plus I think Coples is a starter last time I looked.. How about UDFA's like Snacks or Mike Devito?? On the offensive side Greene,Slauson,Powell and Kerley were starters I seem to recall. Did Mangini ever have the number 1 D or the top rushing game??  :animal0029:

Im not bias with Rex Hate. I give Rex his credit when its just, same thing that I do with Idzik. I just dont make Rex to be more than what he was, which was a defensive coordinator playing the role of a head coach. The last 4 years proved that. In years 3 and 4 I made plenty of excuses for Rex, years 5 and 6 showed that it was indeed the coach. 

Pouha was here since 05. He was in his 4th year when Rex came in (Though I would say that Pouha benefited from Rex). Devito was a JAG, Shonn Greene was only as good as the offensive line, and was never taught out to break a tackle. He was one of the worst RB's in the league in regards to being stopped by first contact...nothing like Idzik's signing of Chris Ivory. Powell has all the promise, but what has he done? He has less than 1,300 yards in 4 years. Now im not saying that this is Powells fault, I KNOW that Powell has game, yet what did Rex do? He had Powell play 15 games last year for 140 yards. How are you using Powell as a good example for Rex? Thats a good example for the GM that drafted him in the 4th round in regards to talent and ability. Rex used him in 2013 then hung him up to dry last year did he not? Matt Slauson aint even on the team and you could argue that he's been better as a Bear. Kerley is in the same position as Powell, all this talent but the coach doesnt know how to translate offensive talent to production. Thats the job of the coach to do, and this is my problem. This further supports my point if you take off the "I hate Rex" visors you got on. 

I did forget about Snacks though, and I acknowledged that in another response. 

So, it's Harvin's fault for asking, totally not Rex's job to say "no, we have no time for that nonsense"?

Like a bizarro world version of it's not Rex's fault for asking for sh*t players like Sanchez and Holmes, it's Tanny and Idzik's fault for not saying "no, those players are no good". 

Who is the Boss the GM or the HC?? According to you it's the HC.. The truth is Tanny asked him if he wanted Holmes when he saw he was available and Holmes used to give the Ravens fits when he was with the Steelers so Rex said yes.. In 2009 the only QB on the roster was Clemens many Jet fans wanted Sanchez but thought no way would he last till pick 17.. Did Tanny listen to Mangini to take the Ghost at pick 6 ?? You seem to be in the room when they have these conversations so you must know?? :animal0029:

Who is the Boss the GM or the HC?? According to you it's the HC.. The truth is Tanny asked him if he wanted Holmes when he saw he was available and Holmes used to give the Ravens fits when he was with the Steelers so Rex said yes.. In 2009 the only QB on the roster was Clemens many Jet fans wanted Sanchez but thought no way would he last till pick 17.. Did Tanny listen to Mangini to take the Ghost at pick 6 ?? You seem to be in the room when they have these conversations so you must know?? :animal0029:

When it comes to providing the players it is generally the GM, when it comes to creating the roster its generally the HC. You're missing the point given that you're too busy defending. 

Im not bias with Rex Hate. I give Rex his credit when its just, same thing that I do with Idzik. I just dont make Rex to be more than what he was, which was a defensive coordinator playing the role of a head coach. The last 4 years proved that. In years 3 and 4 I made plenty of excuses for Rex, years 5 and 6 showed that it was indeed the coach. 

Pouha was here since 05. He was in his 4th year when Rex came in (Though I would say that Pouha benefited from Rex). Devito was a JAG, Shonn Greene was only as good as the offensive line, and was never taught out to break a tackle. He was one of the worst RB's in the league in regards to being stopped by first contact...nothing like Idzik's signing of Chris Ivory. Powell has all the promise, but what has he done? He has less than 1,300 yards in 4 years. Now im not saying that this is Powells fault, I KNOW that Powell has game, yet what did Rex do? He had Powell play 15 games last year for 140 yards. How are you using Powell as a good example for Rex? Thats a good example for the GM that drafted him in the 4th round in regards to talent and ability. Rex used him in 2013 then hung him up to dry last year did he not? Matt Slauson aint even on the team and you could argue that he's been better as a Bear. Kerley is in the same position as Powell, all this talent but the coach doesnt know how to translate offensive talent to production. Thats the job of the coach to do, and this is my problem. This further supports my point if you take off the "I hate Rex" visors you got on. 

I did forget about Snacks though, and I acknowledged that in another response. 

If you go down to the Ivory thread you will see this...

3. YAC Attack

Is it possible to improve his already impressive yards-after-contact skills? "Yeah, that's a goal of mine," he replied, "just to be better every year and try to get better at my weaknesses."

Running after contact has not been a weakness. Two seasons ago he unofficially notched 3.22 yards after first contact, the second-best figure by a 100-carry Jets back since 2009 (Shonn Greene was at 3.31 in '09). Last year he "slipped" to 2.76, still the third-best figure in that span. If his blockers can help him improve his yards before contact, he can again provide a dangerous mix of power and elusiveness.

If you go down to the Ivory thread you will see this...

3. YAC Attack

Is it possible to improve his already impressive yards-after-contact skills? "Yeah, that's a goal of mine," he replied, "just to be better every year and try to get better at my weaknesses."

Running after contact has not been a weakness. Two seasons ago he unofficially notched 3.22 yards after first contact, the second-best figure by a 100-carry Jets back since 2009 (Shonn Greene was at 3.31 in '09). Last year he "slipped" to 2.76, still the third-best figure in that span. If his blockers can help him improve his yards before contact, he can again provide a dangerous mix of power and elusiveness.

What was Greene's YAC in 2010, 11 and 12 when he actually became the starter? Did he regress (under Rex)??? 

In 09 Greene ran the ball on teams that Thomas Jones initially brutalized. Greene had a great YAC but only had 540 yards with 2 TD's. Thomas Jones in 09' had 1,400 yards and 12 TD's. Greene got the job given his 09 performance in the playoffs because Jones broke down late in the season. 

Now I wont waste my time finding a link for you because I already know the answer, but I'll point you in the right direction. Go and find what Greene's YAC was when he finally became the starter. Now many good RB's have low YAC, but its because they make guys miss most of the time. Greene didnt make guys miss and would tend to go down by the first defender giving contact. 

In otherwords, when Thomas Jones wasnt there to beat up on defenses, Greene's "YAC" went in the sh*tter. 

What was Greene's YAC in 2010, 11 and 12 when he actually became the starter? Did he regress (under Rex)??? 

In 09 Greene ran the ball on teams that Thomas Jones initially brutalized. Greene had a great YAC but only had 540 yards with 2 TD's. Thomas Jones in 09' had 1,400 yards and 12 TD's. Greene got the job given his 09 performance in the playoffs because Jones broke down late in the season. 

Now I wont waste my time finding a link for you because I already know the answer, but I'll point you in the right direction. Go and find what Greene's YAC was when he finally became the starter. Now many good RB's have low YAC, but its because they make guys miss most of the time. Greene didnt make guys miss and would tend to go down by the first defender giving contact. 

In otherwords, when Thomas Jones wasnt there to beat up on defenses, Greene's "YAC" went in the sh*tter. 

One can also say also say Faneca and Woody leaving made the O line weaker.. Because when TJ went to KC he avg 3.7 and 3.1 ypc..

One can also say also say Faneca and Woody leaving made the O line weaker.. Because when TJ went to KC he avg 3.7 and 3.1 ypc..

Dude.....Im starting to think you're just trolling me now. lol. That's what I originally said. 

Devito was a JAG, Shonn Greene was only as good as the offensive line, and was never taught how to break a tackle. 

As for TJ, he was already used up as a back. He was on the decline which the Jets saw when his body broke down and moved on. 

Dude.....Im starting to think you're just trolling me now. lol. That's what I originally said. 

As for TJ, he was already used up as a back. He was on the decline which the Jets saw when his body broke down and moved on. 

I always enjoy trolling you because it's fun.. :winking0001:

Did Tanny ask Rex if he wanted Sanchez, or did Rex said "that's our guy, go get him"?

Of all the arguments about Rex and his GMs that I've seen, yours are consistently the worst.

Did Tanny ask Rex if he wanted Sanchez, or did Rex said "that's our guy, go get him"?

Of all the arguments about Rex and his GMs that I've seen, yours are consistently the worst.

Your the guy that was in the room during all their conversations I just know what I read in the press..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1434847-new-york-jets-drafting-mark-sanchez-in-2009-was-clearly-the-right-move

Your the guy that was in the room during all their conversations I just know what I read in the press..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1434847-new-york-jets-drafting-mark-sanchez-in-2009-was-clearly-the-right-move

Really, because I go by what I read in the press too... and I read quotes from Rex where he gloated about saying Sanchez was his guy, and about going and getting Holmes and Burress... and this one too:

“I wasn’t the boss anymore,” Ryan says. “I was just a guy. Whether they want to say it or not, all of a sudden I became less important to the team.”

I don't know what you've been reading, but you clearly don't know how to interpret it. It doesn't take much deductive reasoning to arrive at Rex calling the shots on just about everything before Idzik was hired. 

Here is another example that makes it quite obvious that prior to Idzik, Rex got what Rex wanted:

Even before the season began, Ryan was worried about the Jets’ ability to compete. Last summer he bought a house in the Nashville suburbs. “When the draft and free agency didn’t go the way I would have liked it to, I was concerned,” Ryan says. “That’s why I bought a house in Tennessee. I didn’t know what the hell was going to happen, but I knew I would need someplace to live. That I was probably going to get fired.”

Now, this doesn't mean that I'm arguing Idzik as good at what he did. I'm just saying it is absolutely foolish to argue that the player/personnel failings were Idzik-specific, or isolated ONLY to the two GMs that worked with Rex.

When Rex arrived, he inherited players you don't get rid of, the longer Rex was here, the more the team he field became the team he clearly wanted to assemble. To argue otherwise is naive.

Really, because I go by what I read in the press too... and I read quotes from Rex where he gloated about saying Sanchez was his guy, and about going and getting Holmes and Burress... and this one too:

I wasn’t the boss anymore,” Ryan says. “I was just a guy. Whether they want to say it or not, all of a sudden I became less important to the team.”

I don't know what you've been reading, but you clearly don't know how to interpret it. It doesn't take much deductive reasoning to arrive at Rex calling the shots on just about everything before Idzik was hired. 

In what context did Rex say that?? Look I understand the common theme is if you don't hate Rex your a idiot.. So sorry Ape I enjoyed his time here so will we agree to disagree.. I have no problem with you hating him what I find funny is the haters can't stand anyone liking him..LOL

In what context did Rex say that?? Look I understand the common theme is if you don't hate Rex your a idiot.. So sorry Ape I enjoyed his time here so will we agree to disagree.. I have no problem with you hating him what I find funny is the haters can't stand anyone liking him..LOL

Here's the article:

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/14/rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-new-york-jets

Ironic, because it seems that the people who like Rex can't stand people talking about what contributed to his failures, thus they take it personally and constantly engage in false arguments about the guy. If you just said, "despite his failings, I loved the guy" and left it at that, I could respect that. Instead, you bring factually incorrect points into it. So, I'm effectively arguing with your data. I could care less about the man-crush and it's effects on your judgement. You're entitled to make as many bad decisions as you want, just don't tell me you made a bad decision because the sky is purple...

Here's the article:

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/14/rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-new-york-jets

Ironic, because it seems that the people who like Rex can't stand people talking about what contributed to his failures, thus they take it personally and constantly engage in false arguments about the guy. If you just said, "despite his failings, I loved the guy" and left it at that, I could respect that. Instead, you bring factually incorrect points into it. So, I'm effectively arguing with your data. I could care less about the man-crush and it's effects on your judgement. You're entitled to make as many bad decisions as you want, just don't tell me you made a bad decision because the sky is purple...

Actually I have always said Rex was not a complete HC because he didn't pay attention to the offense.. I said he had flaws that if not corrected will kill his chances to be a long time HC.. I just have fun with the haters as a matter of fact you and Villain are 2 of my favorite posters.. :winking0001:

Actually I have always said Rex was not a complete HC because he didn't pay attention to the offense.. I said he had flaws that if not corrected will kill his chances to be a long time HC.. I just have fun with the haters as a matter of fact you and Villain are 2 of my favorite posters.. :winking0001:

I know what you're up to, just rolling along with it. :)

You're right. Snacks is a beast. I didnt forget about Kerley though. Kerley has the potential, but his productivity is that of a JAG, which is precisely my indictment of Rex and his coaching staff. 

I wouldnt call Demario Davis production "JAG" status. He's averaged over 100 combined tackles 2 of his 3 years and have gotten better in every major category the following year. Kerley showed much potential in his 2nd season but has regressed since then. His numbers are nothing to blush at, and its not that he cant be that player, to the contrary, I believe that he hasnt consistently produced at his best because of the coaching staff. 

Also, it would be safe to say that an entire team turns over every 3 to 4 years, keeping your core 6 to 7 main guys. Rex has been here for 6 years, which would average two turn over teams. Go from those AFCCG teams and go position by position and you tell me if we've gotten better or atleast stayed consistent as a team. 

I disagree about Kerley. I guess it comes down to your definition of development. From your posts it seems that you think it is a player that exceeds their initial potential (like Snacks) whereas I think it is a player that reaches or exceeds their initial potential (Kerley). In Kerley's case, he was a 5th rounder and has been the starting slot receiver for a while now and also plays ST. That I would say is at least reaching his potential based on his draft selection. You can't really expect for much more for a 5th rounder.

I disagree about Kerley. I guess it comes down to your definition of development. From your posts it seems that you think it is a player that exceeds their initial potential (like Snacks) whereas I think it is a player that reaches or exceeds their initial potential (Kerley). In Kerley's case, he was a 5th rounder and has been the starting slot receiver for a while now and also plays ST. That I would say is at least reaching his potential based on his draft selection. You can't really expect for much more for a 5th rounder.

I can expect more when I see that the potential is there to expect more. Im not trying to squeeze water out of a rock here. Jeremy Kerley could be a better producer than his stats would indicate, yet his stats make him a JAG. I believe a prime reason for that was the lack of offensive minds at the coaching positions. 

Archived