Is Revis the Greatest of All Time?

JetNation

D Revis

Fans debate things, it is what we do. One common debate is where great players rank from a historical perspective. It is less common to hear NFL players sharing their rankings. That is what Brandon Marshall did when he weighed in on the all time CB rankings. Marshall thinks that Darrelle Revis is the greatest CB of all time. When Marshall was asked why, here was his response:

Because I’ve played against him for, going on nine years now. He came out in 2007, and I played against Champ (Bailey). I never really got a chance to go against Champ in his prime, against him. I’ve always practiced against him. Darrelle is just really good at what he does. He’s excellent at what he does.

Marshall added, “He’s a technician and he’s really crafty, really smart. He works hard.”

So naturally Darrelle Revis was asked for his thoughts on Marshall’s comments.

It’s a great compliment from Brandon. I played against him throughout my whole career. We’ve had our battles. He’s won some battles when we played against each other in the past and I’ve won some. I think it’s just a mutual respect that we have for each other. And now we’re teammates. I never thought we would be teammates in my wildest dreams. Now we get to compete against each other. I’m glad he’s on my team. I don’t have to look across the huddle and see that it’s Brandon Marshall.

Being in the same category as Deion Sanders is quite the accomplishment. Revis chimes in on that thought:

It’s an honor. I mean I don’t even really have that many words for it. It’s an honor and I appreciate it. People seeing your body of work and what you’ve done. I’ve still got a long ways to go and at the same time I think I just have to continue to what I’ve been doing. It’s just work my butt off like, I’ve always been doing and continue to have an open mind to the game and be an open book to it and absorb up all the information I can.

So we leave it up to you to decide, is ?

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
vr7GP0VlObQ

View the full article

Tough to compare players from 2 different eras, and though it wasn't that long ago, the game was different because the rules were different (or they are enforced more differently anyway). Deion was great, but to an extent the myth is greater than the man. A lot of WRs had big games against the defenses he was on. Obviously I don't remember if those big pass plays necessarily came against Sanders, but it's also part of the difference when making the comparison. Either in those games Deion let up yardage to the other team's star receiver, or he was spared from having to cover said star receiver (unlike Revis who played the receiver not just the left side of the field no matter which individual WR lined up on his side). Not to mention CB rules were simply easier back then on top of it, and have been since Ty Law made the games harder for Peyton Manning.  So Deion either did a poor job against a bunch of those top receivers, or he wasn't covering the top receivers, and in either scenario his job was far easier than Revis's.

Tough to compare players from 2 different eras, and though it wasn't that long ago, the game was different because the rules were different (or they are enforced more differently anyway). Deion was great, but to an extent the myth is greater than the man. A lot of WRs had big games against the defenses he was on. Obviously I don't remember if those big pass plays necessarily came against Sanders, but it's also part of the difference when making the comparison. Either in those games Deion let up yardage to the other team's star receiver, or he was spared from having to cover said star receiver (unlike Revis who played the receiver not just the left side of the field no matter which individual WR lined up on his side). Not to mention CB rules were simply easier back then on top of it, and have been since Ty Law made the games harder for Peyton Manning.  So Deion either did a poor job against a bunch of those top receivers, or he wasn't covering the top receivers, and in either scenario his job was far easier than Revis's.

He covered who the DC told him to cover but Jerry Rice said he gave him the most trouble of anyone that ever covered him..

He covered who the DC told him to cover but Jerry Rice said he gave him the most trouble of anyone that ever covered him..

I'm not disputing that, nor am I insinuating he wasn't an awesome cover corner. But the testimony from Rice that he gave him the most trouble doesn't mean Deion's job wasn't still far easier. And part of the reason his job may have been easier is his DC's telling him to cover whichever WR lined up to the left, whether it was a pushover or not. Further, I don't know that he wasn't covering a lot of those guys who had big games against Dallas (or Atl, or SF that one year).  Also Deion wasn't nearly the complete player on defense that Revis has been. 

JMO. 

I'm not disputing that, nor am I insinuating he wasn't an awesome cover corner. But the testimony from Rice that he gave him the most trouble doesn't mean Deion's job wasn't still far easier. And part of the reason his job may have been easier is his DC's telling him to cover whichever WR lined up to the left, whether it was a pushover or not. Further, I don't know that he wasn't covering a lot of those guys who had big games against Dallas (or Atl, or SF that one year).  Also Deion wasn't nearly the complete player on defense that Revis has been. 

JMO. 

According to Bowles what made Deion special was he could do it all.. Pick 6 tds punt tds KOR tds and receiving tds, I agree as a cover CB he's one of the best I have ever seen..

According to Bowles what made Deion special was he could do it all.. Pick 6 tds punt tds KOR tds and receiving tds, I agree as a cover CB he's one of the best I have ever seen..

Well I'm not sure that KOR prowess or lining up as a WR has much to do with being a CB. Bowles may say that Deion could do it all as a nice-nice comment, but Deion wasn't near the tackler that Revis was.

But it was a distinct disadvantage for Revis to play the entirety of his career with the current "thou shalt not even breathe heavily on the WR" rules. Plus to your point about his DC's failure to always put him on the tough receiver no matter what, that made his job decidedly easier as well. If Rice lights up the Falcons for 225 yards and 5 TDs, then Rice was not shut down no matter who was on him. As much as it was easier for Rice to mostly face the other guy, it was proportionally easier for Deion to mostly face not-Rice.

The fact is that despite Rice's nice comments - and undoubtedly, he was being truthful - the 2 of them hardly faced off against each other. 9 games in their careers. 6 of them Rice had 100+ yards (if not 200+), Rice had a dozen TDs in those games, and one of the low-yardage games (but still with a TD) in 1992, was a blowout even with Young only attempting 18 passes for not much yardage thanks to a game of short fields and 40 rushing attempts.

Rice did very well when matching up against defenses with Deion.

Well I'm not sure that KOR prowess or lining up as a WR has much to do with being a CB. Bowles may say that Deion could do it all as a nice-nice comment, but Deion wasn't near the tackler that Revis was.

But it was a distinct disadvantage for Revis to play the entirety of his career with the current "thou shalt not even breathe heavily on the WR" rules. Plus to your point about his DC's failure to always put him on the tough receiver no matter what, that made his job decidedly easier as well. If Rice lights up the Falcons for 225 yards and 5 TDs, then Rice was not shut down no matter who was on him. As much as it was easier for Rice to mostly face the other guy, it was proportionally easier for Deion to mostly face not-Rice.

The fact is that despite Rice's nice comments - and undoubtedly, he was being truthful - the 2 of them hardly faced off against each other. 9 games in their careers. 6 of them Rice had 100+ yards (if not 200+), Rice had a dozen TDs in those games, and one of the low-yardage games (but still with a TD) in 1992, was a blowout even with Young only attempting 18 passes for not much yardage thanks to a game of short fields and 40 rushing attempts.

Rice did very well when matching up against defenses with Deion.

Night Train Lane wouldn't have been the terror he was under today's rules.. football-catch-smiley-emoticon.gif

Archived