Leave it to the Jets to Screw up How the Handle the Fans Tonight

Lot K Tailgaters

The whole gameday experience is still fun.  It's still great to go and see NFL (especially Jets) games in person.  And for whatever it's worth, the stadium's "sightlines" are terrific (unless of course you got stuck up in the upper tier, which is much higher and crappier than Giants Stadium, which actually had a pretty terrific upper tier).

Since watching the game is the #1 most important thing to me (as it should be), I'm not THAT vocal in my criticism of the new stadium.  But, everything else really does suck.  It looks like a toaster.  It's IMPOSSIBLE to get into and out of (inevitably when there's an emergency this WILL be a disaster).  We still share it with the Giants.  The lower tier seats (like most new stadiums, unfortunately) are extra corporate and sterile and don't generate as much noise as they used to.  You can't WALK ACROSS(!!!) the stadium because of the club level nonsense.

It's just lame.  Especially at the price tag.

the negative issues you cite regarding ingress/egress are for the uppers and mezz.  For the lowers, getting in and out is MUCH quicker than it used to be.  I sat in the Giants Stadium lowers for 25 years.  Now, from 135, I am out of the stadium in under 2 minutes.  Much better!  And  closer to the field.  Love the lower sections at MetLife.  Mezz is meh.  Uppers are way too far waway.  Blech.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the negative issues you cite regarding ingress/egress are for the uppers and mezz.  For the lowers, getting in and out is MUCH quicker than it used to be.  I sat in the Giants Stadium lowers for 25 years.  Now, from 135, I am out of the stadium in under 2 minutes.  Much better!  And  closer to the field.  Love the lower sections at MetLife.  Mezz is meh.  Uppers are way too far waway.  Blech.

I sit in the Mezz and greatly enjoy the view.  But getting in and out is a disaster.  Should it be, for a 4k PSL???

[bad things about stadium here]

The stadium is great.  It's clean, it's modern, it's got a ton of concessions, it's got no bathroom lines, strong sightlines, it's 200% better than crappy old Giants Stadium.

With the green lighting on the exterior and all the green scoreboards and ribbon boards on the interior, it's Jets Stadium when we play there and that's all that matters.

SAR I

Jesus that disaster of a project hasn't been torn down yet?  Didn't they abandon that project years ago?

They are jump-starting it again, going to make it into a mega shopping mall and try to make some money:

On March 13, 2014 the Triple Five Group announced a settlement was reached with the New York Giants and New York Jets allowing the long-delayed project to move forward. Construction has been ongoing since November 2013 and was expected to pick up in early 2014. Although no timetable for completion was announced, the developer originally said it would take about 24 months to complete the project once construction began. That April, Triple Five released a revised design for the mall's exterior and confirmed a tentative opening date in late 2016.  The exterior will be repainted in a different color scheme as part of Triple Five's ownership.

SAR I

I'm really curious, what do you like about the stadium?  Me personally, I'm not a fan of it.  I actually preferred the old Meadowlands for a few reasons (even if we were always fighting against the name "giants stadium" in some ways we still do anyway).

1. The Metlife Stadium seats feel too far away from the field compared to Meadowlands.

2. The Metlife Stadium doesn't hold/retain noise like the old stadium.  Its extremely quiet even when its loud.

3. The Metlife Stadium has no character and was designed to be aesthetically pleasing at night (which the games are rarely played at)

What I do like about the new stadium:

1. The shuttle to the stadium.

First some responses to you post and then the rest:

1.  The seats are as close as modern NFL stadiums allow fans to be.  Comparing to Giants Stadium, which didn't have nearly enough concourses for concessions and nearly enough suites/boxes, to MetLife is unrealistic.  Compare it to newer stadiums in Pittsburgh, New England, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and the rest and it's on par.  Don't go down the Seattle road because their stadium has 20,000 fewer seats, not something that would ever fly in NY.

2.  Noise levels are loud when the team is good.  That MNF game against Dallas, as an example, the place was a deafening as the biggest games at Giants Stadium.  It sounds quiet lately because we haven't sniffed the playoffs in four years and the fans quit on Rex Ryan.

3.  The "character" of the stadium is fine, again, on par with other modern NFL stadiums.  Gillette Stadium is a grey concrete building with some banners hanging around.  No different than MetLife except ours goes one further with the floodlights on the exterior, the LCD pillars at the gates, the images of immortal Jets in the main concourse, and the interior ribbon boards and scoreboards.  The place feels like Jets Stadium on gamedays.  The color of a seat never won or lost a football game.

4.  The exterior character of the stadium resembles a skyscraper, iconic to Manhattan and the region that the Jets represent.

5.  The stadium is built in four 'quarters' and crowds can't move from one quadrant into another easily which makes for better crowd control, better halftimes, better entry/egress.  At Giants Stadium, you had people looping the entire interior of the stadium to grab a smoke with a friend, it was impossible to walk around.

6.  No lines at bathrooms, concession stands, snack carts, it's just got a ton more places that fans need to go before and during the games and that was all made possible by having larger concourses.

7.  Best thing about the stadium?  The Jets blew up the old pricing structure and allowed fans of means to buy their way into the best seating locations.  Waitlisters now rule the place.  Old farts got what they deserved.  Shoe, meet other foot.

SAR I

You may as well be a hired corporate shill.

I'm a PSL holder and have been going to games since I was 3. 

This stadium sucks.

Why does the stadium suck?

Was it because your grandfather had great seats on the 40 in the lower level for $75 and you sold half your seats for huge profits and essentially attended the rest of the games for free? 

Was it because all the blue collar uneducated drunks were mixed in with the white collar Illuminati and you can't burp and fart on us as you piss and curse at us any more?

Was it the dripping gutters?  The cracking concrete?  The whipping frigid winds?  The Giants branding on the facade?  The long lines at the bathrooms? 

What exactly was so much better about the old dump?

SAR I

Jets and Giants are fighting the mall nonsense such that it won't be open on gamedays. Not sure what  restaurant nor  retailer will want to open up in  a mall there and be told to close down a day or 2  every weekend in Christmas shopping season. Also, despite funding and profiting from numerous fantasy sites and games, the Jets, Giants and NFL are still fighting not to have a sports book at the meadowlands track. The whole area is a mess. Someday we will all ski above and across route 3.

It really is nuts, there were starting to build that indoor ski slope when I was a season ticket holder back in 2008.  I can't believe that eye sore is still there.

It really is nuts, there were starting to build that indoor ski slope when I was a season ticket holder back in 2008.  I can't believe that eye sore is still there.

Latest incarnation/scam is that they're going to tear it down to build an upscale mall with restaurants, etc.  Definitely a place I'd take a date.  I mean, who doesn't appreciate a light, fragrant swamp gas breeze?  Or the ease of driving in that area, which is heralded for its lack of traffic congestion, especially traveling from manhattan or southern Jersey.

Why does the stadium suck?

Was it because your grandfather had great seats on the 40 in the lower level for $75 and you sold half your seats for huge profits and essentially attended the rest of the games for free? 

Was it because all the blue collar uneducated drunks were mixed in with the white collar Illuminati and you can't burp and fart on us as you piss and curse at us any more?

Was it the dripping gutters?  The cracking concrete?  The whipping frigid winds?  The Giants branding on the facade?  The long lines at the bathrooms? 

What exactly was so much better about the old dump?

SAR I

I'm pretty sure I enumerated a small portion of the many reasons above.  Now back to your miserable life in Emerson you pissant.

We can debate PSLs all day long but here are the other realities:

MetLife is cleaner looking since the concrete is still new and the concourses are bigger and concessions are better.  For some people that's a big deal for some people they could care less.  Me personally I could care less about that.

The overall views of the field are MUCH worse.  Sure the 100 level has a better view but the mezzanine and upper deck views are definitely not as good as before. 

As far as the game day experience I think that depends on the person and what they are looking for.  It also depends where they are sitting.  If you're looking to know 85-90% of the people in your section like you did in the old stadium that's probably not happening anymore. 

Fan behavior I've heard some people say it's better and some say it's worse.  Personally where I sit it's much worse than before. 

MetLife is cleaner looking since the concrete is still new and the concourses are bigger and concessions are better.  For some people that's a big deal for some people they could care less.  Me personally I could care less about that.

The overall views of the field are MUCH worse.  Sure the 100 level has a better view but the mezzanine and upper deck views are definitely not as good as before. 

That about sums it up.  

100 level is much better than before, particularly the sidelines.  Really close to the action.  

200 level (Mezz) is  worse than before.  Both higher and farther back than Giants Stadium.  My 1st set of seats (Mezz Corner) was nowhere near as good as Giants Stadium Mezz corners, where I sat often.  

Finally, the 300 level.  The people who got burned with MUCH worse seating are the uppers.  I sat up there once (Row 4 on the 20) it wasn't good at all.  Like watching ants.  Giants stadium uppers were light years better. 

The 100 level seats more people than the 200 + 300 levels so I wouldn't say that "overall" (your words) "views are MUCH worse".  Not when the majority of people sit in the 100 level.

compared_zps7qqcfjcn.jpg

We studied this intensely for years over at JI and what I can tell you is this:

Lower Level = Not much changed.

Mezzanine = Pushed back 5 rows and up 10 feet.

Upper Level = Pushed back 20 rows and up 60 feet.

So depending on where you sit you have a different perception.  For me, my view above, look at the size of the end zones, look at the size of the yard markers, look at the lines indicating distance, it's imperceptible.  I like the views at MetLife vs GS mezzanine to mezzanine.

SAR I

That about sums it up.  

100 level is much better than before, particularly the sidelines.  Really close to the action.  

200 level (Mezz) is  worse than before.  Both higher and farther back than Giants Stadium.  My 1st set of seats (Mezz Corner) was nowhere near as good as Giants Stadium Mezz corners, where I sat often.  

Finally, the 300 level.  The people who got burned with MUCH worse seating are the uppers.  I sat up there once (Row 4 on the 20) it wasn't good at all.  Like watching ants.  Giants stadium uppers were light years better. 

The 100 level seats more people than the 200 + 300 levels so I wouldn't say that "overall" (your words) "views are MUCH worse".  Not when the majority of people sit in the 100 level.

ezanine_zpsmlhb9mjn.jpg.

The 100's in MetLife have a steeper pitch, the wall is the same height, and the buffer between the playing field and the wall is larger so the 100's were negatively impacted too.

It's the Upper Deck that got the brunt of it.  Take Giants Stadium, lift the Upper Deck 60 feet, push it back so it doesn't overhang the mezzanine, squeeze in a perimeter of luxury suites, you have MetLife Stadium.

SAR I

In the 100s, The bench was much further away from the 1st row at the old dump than it is now. A good 10 yards closer now. LSL is right on top of the action. 100s between the end zones is far better now than before. Also, the field at Giants Stadium was an additional 8 feet below ground level. Now it is at ground level. Again, benefiting the 100s. Mezz is considerably higher that 10 get more than it used to be. More like 25 feet. My rep confirmed that a long time ago.

compared_zps7qqcfjcn.jpg

We studied this intensely for years over at JI and what I can tell you is this:

Lower Level = Not much changed.

Mezzanine = Pushed back 5 rows and up 10 feet.

Upper Level = Pushed back 20 rows and up 60 feet.

So depending on where you sit you have a different perception.  For me, my view above, look at the size of the end zones, look at the size of the yard markers, look at the lines indicating distance, it's imperceptible.  I like the views at MetLife vs GS mezzanine to mezzanine.

SAR I

SAR I is spot on this guy knows his seating and views no one can deny that. I have even thought he might have worked on the stadium as an engineer or an architect. 

In the 100s, The bench was much further away from the 1st row at the old dump than it is now. A good 10 yards closer now. LSL is right on top of the action. 100s between the end zones is far better now than before. Also, the field at Giants Stadium was an additional 8 feet below ground level. Now it is at ground level. Again, benefiting the 100s. Mezz is considerably higher that 10 get more than it used to be. More like 25 feet. My rep confirmed that a long time ago.

LOL, look at the photos Dave. 

The bench is in the same location against the sidelines in every NFL stadium so that didn't change.  What changed is that there is more room behind the bench in MetLife vs Giants Stadium and that means the 100s were pushed back.  The pitch is steeper too, so those in Row 12 in MetLife are the equivalent of Row 15 or so in Giants Stadium.  Not a big deal, but it's not "better".

Mezzanine is equivalent of a pushback of 5 rows and with a 12" cement step that each seat sits on it's 5 feet higher plus the extra LL rows making it 10 feet.

This "field at ground level" thing always makes me laugh, like the field is 8 feet under ground and we're all looking into it.  You measure the view from the field up, it's not like the wall is 8 feet taller now.

SAR I

SAR I is spot on this guy knows his seating and views no one can deny that. I have even thought he might have worked on the stadium as an engineer or an architect. 

Thank you for the kind words.

Dave relocated from the Mezzanine to the Lower Level and has spent the last four years trying to make himself feel good about that decision.  Not sure why it matters to him what views others have from their seats, you'd think he'd be happy with his own.

SAR I

That about sums it up.

100 level is much better than before, particularly the sidelines. Really close to the action.

200 level (Mezz) is worse than before. Both higher and farther back than Giants Stadium. My 1st set of seats (Mezz Corner) was nowhere near as good as Giants Stadium Mezz corners, where I sat often.

Finally, the 300 level. The people who got burned with MUCH worse seating are the uppers. I sat up there once (Row 4 on the 20) it wasn't good at all. Like watching ants. Giants stadium uppers were light years better.

The 100 level seats more people than the 200 + 300 levels so I wouldn't say that "overall" (your words) "views are MUCH worse". Not when the majority of people sit in the 100 level.

I must be myopic.

I am in 340 Row 8 and think it is a great view.

Those reps said anything under the sun back then to make a sale.

Those reps said anything under the sun back then to make a sale.

This was years after the sale. Also my Rep was Andy who I believe was a straight shooter unlike the others. He had since moved on to the Nets to sell seats at Barclsys. Good guy.

Thank you for the kind words.

Dave relocated from the Mezzanine to the Lower Level and has spent the last four years trying to make himself feel good about that decision.  Not sure why it matters to him what views others have from their seats, you'd think he'd be happy with his own.

SAR I

Love my decision. Usually like your info as it is generally spot on. Except when it's not. Such as the height difference between MetLife Mezz and Giants Stad. MEZZ. Sorry Scott but you are wrong on this one. I know how much you hate being contradicted and wrong so it is not surprising that you begin to make it personal. The usual M.O.

Love my decision. Usually like your info as it is generally spot on. Except when it's not. Such as the height difference between MetLife Mezz and Giants Stad. MEZZ. Sorry Scott but you are wrong on this one. I know how much you hate being contradicted and wrong so it is not surprising that you begin to make it personal. The usual M.O.

I'm not running around telling everyone that the mezzanine is nirvana nor am I pretending we're not all a bit further back and higher up.  That would be you.

MetLife is a solid stadium.  Not revolutionary, but on par with the other new stadiums in the NFL.  The Jets and Giants didn't cheap out on anything, the sightlines are better than many stadiums in the NFL, and its capacity ensures that all fans can get seats they can afford and it has made the Jets the #1 team in the AFC for attendance and revenue ensuring success for the franchise for decades to come.  We did good.

SAR I

I took the survey as well and did share the machine to process payments using the Rewards cards was not in the Jet's shop.

We'll see what happens.

Yeah, I tried to use rewards cash at the bar in the green room and it didn't work (beer for me, for those keeping score at home).  Then tried again at Mrs. Fields and it didn't work (cookie for kid).  It did work at the big generic concession stand (at this point I was just trying to trigger the $20 bonus....this was popcorn for the better half waiting at home).

Definitely needs to be effortless for it to really work.  As someone pointed out this was proposed as a test.  So I'll try again....

Yeah, I tried to use rewards cash at the bar in the green room and it didn't work (beer for me, for those keeping score at home).  Then tried again at Mrs. Fields and it didn't work (cookie for kid).  It did work at the big generic concession stand (at this point I was just trying to trigger the $20 bonus....this was popcorn for the better half waiting at home).

Definitely needs to be effortless for it to really work.  As someone pointed out this was proposed as a test.  So I'll try again....

Well that plus I guess I'm now locked in for at least $86....those bastards....those genius bastards!!!

Archived