Fans Boo Geno at MetLife Practice

Freemanm

I know people are going to get mad at me, but this is disgraceful. Whether we like it or not, Geno is going to be our starting QB on opening day. I'm rooting for the guy, despite the inconsistent play the last two seasons. As far as I'm concerned, he's shown enough flashes to show that he can still be a great QB. How long did it take Vinny Testaverde? I choose to believe he's going to have a breakout year and silence his doubters. And as a die hard Jets fan for over 30 years now, I am going to be rooting hard for him and the team.

You should too.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13402697/geno-smith-new-york-jets-booed-team-scrimmage-metlife-stadium

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can root for a guy but still think he sucks.  If he can't handle some booing at a practice--which is supposed to emulate as close as possible game conditions--than he shouldn't be in this league.

I know people are going to get mad at me, but this is disgraceful. Whether we like it or not, Geno is going to be our starting QB on opening day. I'm rooting for the guy, despite the inconsistent play the last two seasons. As far as I'm concerned, he's shown enough flashes to show that he can still be a great QB. How long did it take Vinny Testaverde? I choose to believe he's going to have a breakout year and silence his doubters. And as a die hard Jets fan for over 30 years now, I am going to be rooting hard for him and the team.

You should too.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13402697/geno-smith-new-york-jets-booed-team-scrimmage-metlife-stadium

For every Vinny there are 1,000 Akili Smiths.  You don't make wise decisions when you use rare outliers to dictate hope.

Lame about the booing. What's even worse is most of the media used that as the lead story about the practice. From the articles you think geno sucked when in fact he was 10-13 with 2td and no picks. He played pretty damn well. Hope he can do that in the regular season and shut all the haters up.

Play good and he he wont get bood. Its very simple.

Not booing Geno just continues the "coddling mentality".  He needs to step up or GTGO.  

Both of the above are spot on.  geno cashes some nice paychecks....  booing comes with it.  Dont want to be boo'd???  Stop playing or play better. 

Completely agree...

If people actually boo'd Geno they should be ashamed of themselves.  It's certainly their right to do so but, IMO, it's entirely unjustified.

Bills fan here and totally agree.  Out of respect for the team, coaches and players,  fans should either encourage or keep quiet.  

Let it be noted that the vast majority of fans attending last night were not season ticket holders.

Those who booed were the blue collar guys most of you believe are better fans than Mr. PSL.

SAR I

The Booing union is on strike so you guys had no one to boo for you, so boo hoo hoo.. onion071.gif

I totally agree with the poster.  It isn't booing in and of itself but booing the guy for a few bad passes in the Green and White Scrimmage???  Seriously?   I don't care what anyone says, it makes you look like an a$$hole, period.  This has less to do with Geno than it has to do with immature behavior.   

However, the ball is totally in Geno's court; as was posted, the best way to shut up the critics is to perform well.  It is apparent that many media types as welll as fans have given up on him and pounce on any mistake he makes; it is up to him to step up his game and continue to make more positive than negative plays.  Especially limiting the turnovers.  If he can consistently do that, with the weapons this team has, he can definitely be successful.   

How does a terrible coach take the Jets to back to back Championships?

the Jets do not have back-to-back Championships.  They had back-to-back AFC Championship game appearances, both of which they lost.  Big difference.  How did Rex get them there?  Well, for one, he inherited a very strong roster from Mangini.  That roster, under Rex, gradually became worse and worse due to his meddling and control over the accountant GM we had.  As the roster got worse, we stopped making the playoffs.  While rich with talent from Mangini, the Jets made the playoffs.  But not without help.  We had some teams (Indianapolis and Cincinnati) that laid down at the end of the regular season (because they had clinched already).  Rex gets a lot of player support so the momentum carried while the roster was good.  But as Rex and Tanny destroyed the roster, we had no chance.  

Bottom line: Rex is a mediocre Head Coach at best.  He'll have his few shining moments, but many more catastrophic moments.  He is a poor game-day manager, terrible with the clock and downright incompetent when it comes to personnel, which here he was a major meddler.  He prepares his team poorly for big games and runs camp/practice and mid week planning like a goddamned country club. 

Just my opinion.  I loved him at first.  But after the 2nd year, the truth came out for all to see and only the blind apologists around here couldn't admit how bad Rex was in developing talent, running a disciplined group and game preparation.  He's all rah-rah, but without much organization or continuity.  Lots of luck.  It couldn't please me any more that he is coaching another team in the same division.  That gives the Jets (as well as NE and Mia) a bit of an edge.

How does a terrible coach take the Jets to back to back Championships?

Lets see:

A 14-0 team literally giving us a victory in the 15th game of the season by sitting their starters. Polian was an unbelievable GM but his insistence on rest to prevent injuries when the division was wrapped up probably cost the Colts another SB or two.

Getting to play a really mediocre Bengals team two weeks in a row

Playing a HC actually worse than Rex (only a couple in entire NFL) in Norv, and the kicker missing 3 FGs

In year 2 having a HC make the worst TO call in NFL history.

All due credit, the team did play inspired awesome football against the Pats, but getting Brady out of sync is one of the few things Rex does well.

As the team became more and more what Rex wanted though, the results plummeted. Year 6 Rex was a significantly worse HC than year 1 HC.

You should too.

actually testaverde really only had one pretty good season and that was in 98 withthe jets. besides that he might have had about 2 other ok seasons....otherwise testaverde was actually not that good

He's had too many starts in the NFL to deserve my pity if/when he gets booed

I have been one of the bigger Geno supporters and I'm generally am optimist but I have no problem booing Geno. He hasn't deserved anything better. I'm rooting for him but if he can't handle/overcome the pressure of some booing in practice then we are in big trouble.

I hope he gets booed and I hope he hears it and more than anything I hope he overcomes it and learns to use it as motivation. I doubt brady would let some booing get to him, in fact it would probably motivate him to play better.

This is year 3 for Geno, the kid gloves are off.

Let it be noted that the vast majority of fans attending last night were not season ticket holders.

Those who booed were the blue collar guys most of you believe are better fans than Mr. PSL.

SAR I

Blue collar, white collar, PSL, general admission, watch game at the baR.....spin it however you wish its all low brow SAR.

You want culture go to the effin opera. Does the Met have PSL's?

Archived