Fans Boo Geno at MetLife Practice

Freemanm

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's twofold-first of all this fanbase has no idea how to support a young QB. Secondly I'm gonna call it like I see it-there's a decent tinge of racism involved as well. It's one thing to think he may never be good, but the vitriol behind the hatred of the guy tells me there's a lot of closet confederate flag wavers out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, quite a universe you live in.

No he's being booed , because its the popular thing to do. Just like the throngs of Tebow fans booing every Sanchez incompletion. Today's fans are rooted in the instant gratification everyone wins mentality. They have the attention span of a gnat and are interested in what is perceived to be trending "socially". 

Agreed.  You have to be a complete moron to attend a PRACTICE and boo anybody.   Either you have some class or you don't.   

If he is at risk of tanking based on getting booed then we already have our answer at the QB position.  Geno is not mentally tough enough for the job.

Why would you assume it effects him?  It only makes the fans who booed look like idiots.  He went on to have a solid practice including a TD to Marshall against Revis.  How is that not being mentally tough for the job?  

And your out of your mind, only a real racist could see booing of a QB that has sucked and been one of the two worst players at his position as booing because the color of his skin.

Mods, I am very offended by this and would like something done.

Overreacting a bit don't you think?  

I don't get all of the Geno hating. True he hasn't played that well, but Geno Smith tries and is good guy. Not like the other idiot everyone idolizes who drives his car at 143 mph ahd has weed, a gun , oh and his child, in the car. If anyone deserves to be booed out of NJ it is the other guy, not Smith. I too am rooting hard for Smith to succeed.

I have to agree.   

It's twofold-first of all this fanbase has no idea how to support a young QB. Secondly I'm gonna call it like I see it-there's a decent tinge of racism involved as well. It's one thing to think he may never be good, but the vitriol behind the hatred of the guy tells me there's a lot of closet confederate flag wavers out there.

First point I agree, second point I 100 pct disagree. Some people see racism in everything, but our fans have a long history of being equal opportunity douchebags. Joe Walton, Hackett, Pennington come to mind.

But its not as simple as that , he plays well the fans will wait for the first bad play/turnover/soundbite and jump all over him. Its the Sanchez/Tebow situation all over again and it will divide the fanbase if it continues. When Tebow was signed "fans" couldn't wait for Sanchez to screw up so that they could cheer for Tebow. Now its will be the same with Geno/Fitz.   The big problem is that neither Tebow or Fitz is the answer to anything good. 

Why not wait till he "plays well" before we worry about how fans will react, eh?

And yes, given two years of worst-on-NFL quality play, many fans will in fact boo him the second he ****s up.

Such is life as a failure (thus far) 3rd year starting QB who turns the ball over more than twice as often as he scores.

No surprise the race card has been tossed out, the last weak whimpering of a failed argument of defense of Geno Year 1 and 2.

No I don't at all. It's offensive throwing the race card without any knowledge. It should not be allowed.

Just what is the "race card"?  That is such a tired phrase.   Did you read about the kid who yelled. "Put in the White Guy" at yesterdays practice? Was he playing the race card too?   Just because you may not see this in racial terms doesn't mean it isn't present.  I have read on this board how Geno "can't learn, is lazy, stupid" etc.  Now sure, he is not the first player to be called names or ridiculed but I can understand why the poster feels the way he does even if I don't agree with it.  Also it is okay to bring race into the discussion with out being a racist.  I never understood why some folks gets so worked up when ever race is mentioned.  

Just want to make it to the playoffs this season.  Have to crawl before we walk

You have a decent shot, Rex is at his best in Year 1 when he's blowing up the culture and making the players feel like they are worldbeaters.  It's the next 4 years that'll suck the life out of you.

SAR I

Just what is the "race card"? That is such a tired phrase. Did you read about the kid who yelled. "Put in the White Guy" at yesterdays practice? Was he playing the race card too? Just because you may not see this in racial terms doesn't mean it isn't present. I have read on this board how Geno "can't learn, is lazy, stupid" etc. Now sure, he is not the first player to be called names or ridiculed but I can understand why the poster feels the way he does even if I don't agree with it. Also it is okay to bring race into the discussion with out being a racist. I never understood why some folks gets so worked up when ever race is mentioned.

So that means one kid was a racist. Say what you want about him. Only reason to bring up race is ether because you are a racist and think race fuels everything or you have no other intelligent argument so you have to try something. Ether way it's something that's offensive and should not be allowed on a jets forum.

No, silly, I'm certain Rex Ryan didn't want Geno Smith.  Invest a high draft pick on the offense?  Never.

SAR I

LOL -  I didn't mean that Rex wanted Geno. I am saying if Geno has a bad season with the Jets,  will Rex somehow still be blamed?  The implication here is that Rex seems to be the blame for everything that has happened and may happen to the Jets.

LOL -  I didn't mean that Rex wanted Geno. I am saying if Geno has a bad season with the Jets,  will Rex somehow still be blamed?  The implication here is that Rex seems to be the blame for everything that has happened and may happen to the Jets.

No, that would be ridiculous because Geno's failure can't have anything to do with Rex Ryan because he didn't even know he had an offense.

Rex is blamed for the following:

1.  He was too much of a players-coach.  Made is players feel so proud of achieving so little that instead of being motivated by it they were empowered by it and played weakly as a result.

2.  The team always played like crap after a bye or a big win, Rex could never manage the emotions of his team or change his approach when they were being lackadaisical. 

3.  He was always about himself and his own job preservation.  Focusing all of his attention on the defense allowed him to maintain his aura of being a defensive guru and ensured he'd get another job as a coordinator somewhere.

4.  Along with #3, Rex Ryan built the team on a Dominating Defense and a Ground & Pound Offense.  When both of those failed miserably, he allowed everyone to blame the quarterback, threw him under the bus, effectively ended his career.

5.  He coached terribly in Championship Games and that means a lot in a league where winning the Super Bowl is all that matters.  No adjustments in Indianapolis, completely unprepared in Pittsburgh, made everything else he accomplished moot.

SAR I

So that means one kid was a racist. Say what you want about him. Only reason to bring up race is ether because you are a racist and think race fuels everything or you have no other intelligent argument so you have to try something. Ether way it's something that's offensive and should not be allowed on a jets forum.

So either you are a racist and race fuels everything or you have no intelligent argument? Those are the only possibilities, huh?  Oh well, back to the Jets. 

Did I say you were racist? Did I name anyone at all? What I said is I've seen plenty of nasty vitriol and comments with a clear racial undertone. How is that offensive to you exactly?

No, that would be ridiculous because Geno's failure can't have anything to do with Rex Ryan because he didn't even know he had an offense.

1.  He was too much of a players-coach.  Made is players feel so proud of achieving so little that instead of being motivated by it they were empowered by it and played weakly as a result.

2.  The team always played like crap after a bye or a big win, Rex could never manage the emotions of his team or change his approach when they were being lackadaisical. 

3.  He was always about himself and his own job preservation.  Focusing all of his attention on the defense allowed him to maintain his aura of being a defensive guru and ensured he'd get another job as a coordinator somewhere.

4.  Along with #3, Rex Ryan built the team on a Dominating Defense and a Ground & Pound Offense.  When both of those failed miserably, he allowed everyone to blame the quarterback, threw him under the bus, effectively ended his career.

5.  He coached terribly in Championship Games and that means a lot in a league where winning the Super Bowl is all that matters.  No adjustments in Indianapolis, completely unprepared in Pittsburgh, made everything else he accomplished moot.

SAR I

I copied and pasted this information on a word document.  It will be interesting to refer back to in the future.  Obviously,  without playing a regular game,  we haven't experienced any of this here in Buffalo.  I will say that Rex has been open and honest about the progress and lack of progress when giving post training practice interviews.  Finally,  I was only kidding about Rex being held responsible for anything Geno does this season.

Did I say you were racist? Did I name anyone at all? What I said is I've seen plenty of nasty vitriol and comments with a clear racial undertone. How is that offensive to you exactly?

What you said was people were booing and have been hating Geno because of race. And that's not true. It's because he has sucked. Race has nothing to do with it except one dumb kid.

What you said was people were booing and have been hating Geno because of race. And that's not true. It's because he has sucked. Race has nothing to do with it except one dumb kid.

No, I said its part of it. I didn't say it's the only reason, but it is part of it. I have seen and heard quite a few racial underhanded comments about him here and other places as well. If you think there's only one person on the planet that doesn't want him as QB because he's black you're delusional. Jets fans in general are idiotic when it comes to patience with young QB's, that's clear. But there is a clear nasty hatred for Geno from some people way beyond just not thinking he will be a good player, and I've seen it time and again. Me personally, I hope he's our QB for the next 12 years because I want to see him succeed.

I totally think your way off blaming it on racism Jet fan dislike for Geno Smith. 99% of the Jet fan base could support anyone at Qb( regardless of their race or sexual preference- as long as they were good at their job). Because every fan base wants their team to win a championship , and would support Adolf Hitler if he could throw the football as well as Tom Brady- little extreme but gets my point across.

I know I rooted like heck for Jamarcus Russell to be successful franchise Qb, and I grew to hate the man not because his color , but because he didn't even try.( was contempt after getting paid big bucks- and didn't care about improving at his craft). I called Russell every bad name in the book, like I did for every bad Raider white Qb. ( it's not racism , but realization that your team just wasting their time trying to win with this Qb?

Terrell Pryor I also had high hopes for, but even though he never developed into Qb I hope he would become, I honestly can say I like the player. ( the man truly did everything he could to get better at his craft.( the effort was definitely there) and even though he's no longer a Raider, I still wish he has a successful NFL career.( NFL Wr).

Jet fans hear Geno Smith was at the movies instead of team meeting, and it ticks off the fan base when they keep seeing him make the same bonehead mistakes- Santa Claus with the football. You start to question will this player ever get it.

No, I said its part of it. I didn't say it's the only reason, but it is part of it. I have seen and heard quite a few racial underhanded comments about him here and other places as well. If you think there's only one person on the planet that doesn't want him as QB because he's black you're delusional. Jets fans in general are idiotic when it comes to patience with young QB's, that's clear. But there is a clear nasty hatred for Geno from some people way beyond just not thinking he will be a good player, and I've seen it time and again. Me personally, I hope he's our QB for the next 12 years because I want to see him succeed.

I don't care what color the starting Qb is, if he is really struggling at his job you can bet he's going to called every name in the book( by that fan base) . if that Qb is African American , your more sensitive to those comments because how political correct we have become as a society. You think African American Jet fans haven't made similar comments about bad White Jet Qb's- than you're Naive.

we put so much of our hearts into our sport teams, that we have a hard time dealing with our players that are failures. Derek Jeter ( different sport) was loved by every Yankee fan( regardless of his color because he was a great baseball player. I bet opposing fans hated him not for his color but because he was that good.( good chance made racial comment at some point)

I don't care what color the starting Qb is, if he is really struggling at his job you can bet he's going to called every name in the book( by that fan base) . if that Qb is African American , your more sensitive to those comments because how political correct we have become as a society. You think African American Jet fans haven't made similar comments about bad White Jet Qb's- than you're Naive.

we put so much of our hearts into our sport teams, that we have a hard time dealing with our players that are failures. Derek Jeter ( different sport) was loved by every Yankee fan( regardless of his color because he was a great baseball player. I bet opposing fans hated him not for his color but because he was that good.( good chance made racial comment at some point)

I get what you're saying, I do. I just feel from some of the stuff I have read and heard, there are a fair amount of people that are pretty satisfied that he sucks and there is definitely a racial aspect to that satisfaction. I'm not saying everyone, but it exists for sure.

I know people are going to get mad at me, but this is disgraceful. Whether we like it or not, Geno is going to be our starting QB on opening day. I'm rooting for the guy, despite the inconsistent play the last two seasons. As far as I'm concerned, he's shown enough flashes to show that he can still be a great QB. How long did it take Vinny Testaverde? I choose to believe he's going to have a breakout year and silence his doubters. And as a die hard Jets fan for over 30 years now, I am going to be rooting hard for him and the team.

You should too.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/13402697/geno-smith-new-york-jets-booed-team-scrimmage-metlife-stadium

Forged by fire! If he can't handle boos when he plays horrible he certainly won't be able to handle the pressure of playoff football. He's being toughened up right now. If he responds well he might make something happen, if he crumbles like Sanchez we will see Petty by mid-season.

We owe Geno NOTHING. Sink or swim!

Forged by fire! If he can't handle boos when he plays horrible he certainly won't be able to handle the pressure of playoff football. He's being toughened up right now. If he responds well he might make something happen, if he crumbles like Sanchez we will see Petty by mid-season.

We owe Geno NOTHING. Sink or swim!

Who says Geno can't handle it?  Has nothing to do with the issue. It is about CLASS,  a concept that seems foreign to some fans of sports teams. 

SAR I

Yep.  They sure played like crap in San Diego in January 2010 and Foxboro January 2011.  Always.

Archived