Was I a jerk?

HighPitch

Ok, so im on a flight from germany back to the US...

Im a bad flier and I hate being squooshed in and in the rear. During turbulence, the rear gets it the worst.

Anyway i find my seat on this big Airbus. I get lucky, as close to the front as possible and an aisle seat. Woohoo! This is a 9 hr ordeal...

So the stewardess comes over and starts asking me, the guy next to me and the woman in front of us if we would move because a "family of 3" is coming in and they all have separate seats. The guy says ok, the girls thinks and says ok....me? I thought about it and said sorry. The stewardess gave me a dick look.

Now here comes the mom and her two sons, about 6 to 7 years old. The boys sit in the two front seats. She asks if i would mind sliding over to the window ( its a 2x2 setup). I guess she doesn't want to bother me if she needs to get up. Again, i say I'm fine with where i am. The stewardess shoots me another cold dick look. Wtf?

I just came off a smaller airbus and the last 20 minutes were hell from turbulence. Moreover, i got stuck in the dead last window seat, the death seat. I paid my fare. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose today i got the best seat i could ask for. Im tired. Its 9 more hours. Now they want me to feel guilty because i refused to volunteer to sit in the rear in some aisle of 6 seats for 9 hrs?

Was i a dick?

Maybe she gave you the cold dick stare for calling her a Stewardess. Anyway as an airline employee for 30 years now and have flown countless times as a standby. I do remember flying with my young child and always getting 3 seperate seats always appreciated when someone would move for us. But were you a Dick -- absolutly not you paid for your seat you have the right to give it up or not.

Yes and no. I'm claustrophobic as hell when I fly, and I need an aisle. I put in time to booking my flights way ahead of time to accommodate this, and on flights like Southwest I get priority boarding so it's not a problem.

I feel for parents with little kids. I really do. But they know that they're flying as a family ahead of time. It's on them to book their seats and/or call the airline ahead of time to accommodate that. That shouldn't have to be my problem when I'm flying. It's a dick mentality and I'm aware of it, but flying just sucks so, so much, and it's the one time where everyone around me can **** off, leave me alone, and let me not be terrified about this metal tube I'm sitting in up in the sky that's about to shake me around and terrify me to death. I understand parenting is tiring, and administrating flight seats weeks prior to a flight may not be a priority for you, but still, not my problem. If it's that big a deal for you, make it a priority.

And if your kid is above the age of 5 or 6? GTFO. Buy your kid an iPad and upload some cartoons to that bitch. Then explain to them that you won't be sitting near daddy for a little bit. You're not going anywhere, you'll be two aisles away and that's that.

And you know what else really grinds my gears? When grown adults do that ******* sh*t. Like no, I don't want to move, I think you and your wife will be able to sleep and watch reruns of Seinfeld just fine if you're 5 feet away from each other.

Yes and no. I'm claustrophobic as hell when I fly, and I need an aisle. I put in time to booking my flights way ahead of time to accommodate this, and on flights like Southwest I get priority boarding so it's not a problem.

I feel for parents with little kids. I really do. But they know that they're flying as a family ahead of time. It's on them to book their seats and/or call the airline ahead of time to accommodate that. That shouldn't have to be my problem when I'm flying. It's a dick mentality and I'm aware of it, but flying just sucks so, so much, and it's the one time where everyone around me can **** off, leave me alone, and let me not be terrified about this metal tube I'm sitting in up in the sky that's about to shake me around and terrify me to death. I understand parenting is tiring, and administrating flight seats weeks prior to a flight may not be a priority for you, but still, not my problem. If it's that big a deal for you, make it a priority.

And if your kid is above the age of 5 or 6? GTFO. Buy your kid an iPad and upload some cartoons to that bitch. Then explain to them that you won't be sitting near daddy for a little bit. You're not going anywhere, you'll be two aisles away and that's that.

And you know what else really grinds my gears? When grown adults do that ******* sh*t. Like no, I don't want to move, I think you and your wife will be able to sleep and watch reruns of Seinfeld just fine if you're 5 feet away from each other.

I'm so glad I get to know you here and not in real life. 

Well the kid sat next to me. At least he wasnt 400 lbs hogging the armrest. I played checkers with him, listened to his detailed explanation of his video game strategies, felt the cold window as he asked several times and got up a dozen for him to move about.

Jerk move or not, i had a great seat and glad i didnt move even if the kid was annoying

I probably would have moved, though I do like my aisle seats.

You're being a bit harsh on yourself anyway, the real jerks on flights are those utter thunderc**ts who lean their seat back with no warning whatsoever. If I had my way those f**kers would be dropped out the door at 37,000 ft.

Archived