Geno Smith Punched by IK, out 6-10 weeks. All discussion here (MERGED)

No one wants to see injuries, but the AFC East just got a little more competitive today so I'd be concerned if I were you.

Geno wasn't taking us anywhere; Fitzpatrick might.  Big difference.

SAR I

Might? No he wont. We have a large enough sample size to know exactly what he is. Not saying Geno is any better, but regardless its time to drink.

No one wants to see injuries, but the AFC East just got a little more competitive today so I'd be concerned if I were you.

Geno wasn't taking us anywhere; Fitzpatrick might. Big difference.

SAR I

And Fitzpatrick has led how many teams in playoffs in his career ? This must be a joke Sar can't be serious

fitz will be ready, he knows the system cold.  he's got good weapons and a good defense.  and geno will miss a month and return after the bye if he's needed.  the jets can do well in september.  and petty will get more reps, thursday night should be interesting.

Which is why there have been a number of reports in TC where he's looked confused and missed and fumbled snaps, oh by he has an IVY League education that makes him Special.

Lmfao what are you six? The most hilarious part about this is im imagining an old ass man who can barely form a coherent sentence sitting on his computer patting him self on the back for making a "your girlfriend joke". Dont you have an AARP meeting to attend?

hahaha wow youre funny dickpod

SAR I

it's the opposite, we aren't going anywhere w/ Fitz, we maybe could have gone somewhere w/ geno.  Fitz has had his chance and always failed to win games, geno in 2013 had 8 wins as a starter, in all Fitz's years in the league his career high is 6.

Geno needed the reps and the work more than anyone, the whole " start the season 2-2 " narrative doesn't hold weight here. This isn't Brady coming back and hitting the ground running, this basically ends any hope of Geno having a productive season.

Many of us believe that Geno Smith is what he is and he's not going to improve.

And after 2 suck years from Sanchez and 2 suck years from Smith we've had it up to here with patience at the QB position.  If Geno Smith was going to show something we'd have seen it by now.  No one wants to see a kid hurt, but we season ticket holders have paid him millions to ruin our Sunday's and now we get to see a fresh face in here and that's a good thing.

SAR I

And after 2 suck years from Sanchez and 2 suck years from Smith we've had it up to here with patience at the QB position.  If Geno Smith was going to show something we'd have seen it by now.  No one wants to see a kid hurt, but we season ticket holders have paid him millions to ruin our Sunday's and now we get to see a fresh face in here and that's a good thing.

SAR I

never should have gotten rid of mark, all he needed was talent around him.  mark on this team and we'd be a SB contender.

SAR I

odds are geno wasn't turning into a good qb, history supports this.  

LOL (through tears).  I tell people all the time that I was 10 years-old when we won Supe III.  There have been so many of these Jet debacles that I'm stunned that I haven't offed myself.

lol, reading that, I almost choked on my coffee! (sh*t I might have offed myself by accident!)

• Upvote 1

I don't understand your line of thinking.

Our new GM had a stellar offseason. Free agents, drafts, contract renegotiations, just brilliant.  But he couldn't get everything done in one year and with a weak QB FA class, Geno under contract, and Fitzpatrick recovering from injury, just what was he supposed to do?  He drafted a kid, talked the right talk.  I don't think for a second Macca is into Geno Smith.  He's the one piece of the puzzle that had to wait until next year, circumstances dictated it.

SAR I

He could have easily named Fitz the starter or at the least gave an open competition.  Fitz is healthy enough to compete.  So why is Geno the starter?  BUF canned Manuel when their only other options are Cassell and Tyrod something or other.  They have zero allegiances to Geno, and clearly neither does the fanbase. They didn't name Geno the starter because they felt they had no choice or because they felt cornered into it, they did so because they felt he was the best QB on the team.  And they said so repeatedly.  So if you think that Geno being hurt is a blessing because now suddenly we have a good QB, then you seriously have to question the intelligence of our front office, because they didn't agree with you at all. 

• Upvote 1

SAR I

SAR 1  I understand your point.  Just sad to hear of anyone being injured,  especially when they've been beaten up by a player.

to the playoffs? he's never led a team to even 7 wins.

He was stuck with the Bills and Titans, who were terrible, and finally had a little bit of success with Houston before getting hurt.  There was already a thread on JN debunking this myth that Fitzpatrick is some terrible loser.  The numbers say he's about an average QB, plain and simple.  Laugh at that all you want, but we haven't gotten even that level of play out of our QB in any season in over 6 years, Geno included.  The minute Brett Favre tore his bicep in Week 11 of 2008, our QB play has been in the gutter. 

Fitz is a professional who can take charge of a huddle.  He also made some of his receivers (Stevie Johnson and Kendall Wright in particular) look really good for multiple seasons.  I'm interested to see what he'll do with a talented roster and under an Offensive Coordinator who he put up good numbers playing under.

No no no.  This isn't a discussion of hypotheticals.  This is the minions of Jets fans coming out of the woodwork saying that Geno being out is a blessing for the Jets since Fitzpatrick is better anyway in their eyes.  So if you really believe that, then you absolutely have to admit you think Bowles, Gailey, and Mac are idiots. 

I don't think they are "idiots".

I do, however, think they were wrong.

Lotta real estate between "wrong on one decision" and "idiots".

How long before Ryan Fitzpatrick gets booed at practice ???

No, no, no.  You don't understand.

Smith was booed because he's the last remaining fragment of the brutal Idzik/Ryan era that Macca wasn't able to sweep away this offseason.  I myself couldn't get too excited no matter how much Mike and Todd have done so far that was good because the specter of seeing Geno under center pulled it all back in, left me lukewarm.

Like it or not, the average Jets fan is excited about this season as of today.  No Geno Smith experiment to drag us to a 1-3 start, we may actually make some postseason noise this year.  Like seeing Ryan and Sanchez on Opening Day 2009, this year's Cleveland game will be a very joyful occasion indeed.

SAR I

I dont think anyone could have answered that until the regular season began, including the coaches. It's not a crazy theory though. Geno is horrible. Lets also not forget that you probably have to be a real a$$hole to get punched in the face when you are the starting QB. It's not like I have ever even heard of his happening before. This is Ryan Leaf sh*t tbh.

I don't agree with that at all.  He could have been in IK's face defending his player, you don't know that.  Or it could have been stupid sh*t.  Who knows, that's not the point.  The point is a huge litany of Jets fans are convinced we suddenly became a better team because Geno's gone, and if they really think that's the case then they have to believe this front office is a bunch of idiots.  Maybe they are, who knows. 

He could have easily named Fitz the starter or at the least gave an open competition.  Fitz is healthy enough to compete.  So why is Geno the starter?  BUF canned Manuel when their only other options are Cassell and Tyrod something or other.  They have zero allegiances to Geno, and clearly neither does the fanbase. They didn't name Geno the starter because they felt they had no choice or because they felt cornered into it, they did so because they felt he was the best QB on the team.  And they said so repeatedly.  So if you think that Geno being hurt is a blessing because now suddenly we have a good QB, then you seriously have to question the intelligence of our front office, because they didn't agree with you at all. 

the flaw here is there is not one shred of statistical or observational evidence that fitz is any worse than geno.  last year's stats - fitz way better.  career stats - fitz better.  for the month of september, there's really no difference who starts.  the main gripe from geno supporters is that geno was going to become a good qb, and though we'd still like to think this could occur, the odds are against it.

He was stuck with the Bills and Titans, who were terrible, and finally had a little bit of success with Houston before getting hurt. There was already a thread on JN debunking this myth that Fitzpatrick is some terrible loser. The numbers say he's an average QB, plain and simple. Laugh at that all you want, but we haven't gotten even that level of play out of our QB in any season in over 6 years, Geno included. The minute Brett Favre tore his bicep in Week 11 of 2008, our QB play has been in the gutter.

Fitz is a professional who can take charge of a huddle. I'm interested to see what he'll do with a talented roster.

Houston had a better record without fitz than they did with him .. Try again

SAR I

Yeah but apparently the coaching staff disagreed with you and now we will probably never find out if they were right.  Then again, there is always the possibility that Fitz gets hurt or just flat out sucks and they start Geno when he returns. ;-)

The one where he calls me a whining crybaby isn't?

You are throwing being a fan in people's faces. That is garbage.

We had people leave this site because you were so over the top in your criticism. I never said a word to you about it.

What is garbage now is proclaiming that you were right and EVERYONE else was wrong. We are fans, none of that matters we root for the Jets to win. So if people wanted to believe in Idzik and they were wrong, just let it go. We all want the same thing.

• Upvote 4

the flaw here is there is not one shred of statistical or observational evidence that fitz is any worse than geno. last year's stats - fitz way better. career stats - fitz better. for the month of september, there's really no difference who starts. the main gripe from geno supporters is that geno was going to become a good qb, and though we'd still like to think this could occur, the odds are against it.

Geno has atleast led a team past 6 wins and it may have been with one of the worst teams ever constructed

Excellent post, don't know why this is such a difficult thing to see.