Geno Smith Punched by IK, out 6-10 weeks. All discussion here (MERGED)

We are going no where with Fitz.

We need to find out one way or the other what Geno can do and if he can advance himself as an NFL QB, and make the jump in his development.

The added bonus is now his leadership ability is being questioned by the media and now fans, and I use that term intentionally, because the media will just spin things, two days ago every comment out of every player and coach whose name isn't Bowles was how much Geno has progressed, now after one incident, the media has a completely different picture? BS.

We need to find out if Geno is our QB, and we won't find that out with him on the sideline, I won't tolerate Fitz all year, defenses will just not respect him, you saw that already last night. And when Owusu and Smith come back, then what? WR screens 15 times a game? F that!

Geno needs to respond and emerge as a leader, and get himself back asap and pick up the pieces of a good thing he had going so far this season, so we can find out once and for all if he can be an NFL QB. 

The Jets regime needs to know so they can make plans for the future, whether it is with Petty or somebody else.

• Upvote 2

How is this good news?

Look at how the offense played with Petty in the lineup last night? While Geno  may not be the answer, he is MUCH better than Petty at this point. I'm hoping Fitz is the starter week 1, but it's also good to know that if FItz gets hurt we aren't forced to start a rookie that will make Geno look like Drew Brees. 

Now, if they could only reverse the procedure that wired his brain shut.  

When it was looking like wiring shut was the answer - I was thinking it could have helped him out of being a mouth breather.

No avail now. 

Correction; You can't be an a$$hole and a sh*tty starting QB in the NFL

This.

He can be as big an a$$hole as he wants, if he plays great. Hell, he can make a career out of being an a$$hole and playing average. Look at guys like Cutler and Jeff George. In Geno's case, he's only proven he can be one of the worst QBs in the league... you can't be that, plus an enormous douchey twat bitch punk ****face. 

Sometimes you can't even get away with being that level of doosh, even if you are talented. 

• Upvote 2

The simple fact is this wouldn't have happened if he just paid him. And even without paying him to date it STILL shouldn't have happened. 

Most likely IK made a big deal about it in the locker room in front of other teammates (since that's where the fight occurred). Geno, not appreciating getting called out like that, reacted the wrong way. If he wanted to save face, he could have gone about it a whole other way. All head had to do was say (in his own words): "IK you're totally right. I haven't gotten around to it but that's no excuse. Hang out and follow me to the ATM after practice and I'll give it to you right then & there."

All would have been good between Geno and IK.

Teammates would have respected Geno for handling it, and handling it well.

Instead he acted like a punk. I wouldn't go so far as to say he deserved to get his jaw broken, but he made a bad situation - one which he created in the first place - even worse by throwing his weight around (such as it is). He may not have expected to get popped, but it's clear he all but dared IK to do it purely because he thought his bluff wouldn't get called.

He's an imbecile. And acted like the polar opposite of a leader. He's not a good enough player to act like an arrogant creep in this way.

He established this about himself on draft day.

He established this about himself on draft day.

Yes but this isn't draft day. He's a 3rd year QB who should have gone through a significant humbling process with his level of play on the field (not to mention getting caught or called out on a few off-field indiscretions).

Lots of them start out immature and then grow up. It's obvious this hasn't happened. Or hadn't happened...up to the point he got his face smashed in.

Yes but this isn't draft day. He's a 3rd year QB who should have gone through a significant humbling process with his level of play on the field (not to mention getting caught or called out on a few off-field indiscretions).

You don't have to convince me. I'm just saying, he came into the league this way and to your point hasn't changed.

C Mart just posted this but this Doc is speculating that Geno will be back for week one. Wow.

If this is the case - can he practice leading up to week 1?...I mean if he can take an NFL hit in 4 weeks, you would think he would be able to run drills, drop back, make throws etc...after a week or two...

The simple fact is this wouldn't have happened if he just paid him. And even without paying him to date it STILL shouldn't have happened. 

Most likely IK made a big deal about it in the locker room in front of other teammates (since that's where the fight occurred). Geno, not appreciating getting called out like that, reacted the wrong way. If he wanted to save face, he could have gone about it a whole other way. All head had to do was say (in his own words): "IK you're totally right. I haven't gotten around to it but that's no excuse. Hang out and follow me to the ATM after practice and I'll give it to you right then & there."

Instead he acted like a punk. I wouldn't go so far as to say he deserved to get his jaw broken, but he made a bad situation - one which he created in the first place - even worse by throwing his weight around (such as it is). He may not have expected to get popped, but it's clear he all but dared IK to do it purely because he thought his bluff wouldn't get called.

He's an imbecile. And acted like the polar opposite of a leader. He's not a good enough player to act like an arrogant creep in this way.

You don't know this, your opinion is being put together by agenda driven media pundits...

You're right, if Geno pays him, this doesn't happen, but none of us really know what happened and what all went down, and how long this was going on.  

Why isn't anybody talking about maybe IK being the douchebag about it?  Becht said it best, players cancel out on player invited camps all the time and don't ever pay any money.

I won't sit here and say Geno doesn't have a hand in any of this, but the over the top blame only on Geno is equally as silly.

We are going no where with Fitz.

We need to find out one way or the other what Paperface can do and if he can advance himself as an NFL QB, and make the jump in his development.

The added bonus is now his leadership ability is being questioned by the media and now fans, and I use that term intentionally, because the media will just spin things, two days ago every comment out of every player and coach whose name isn't Bowles was how much Paperface has progressed, now after one incident, the media has a completely different picture? BS.

We need to find out if Paperface is our QB, and we won't find that out with him on the sideline, I won't tolerate Fitz all year, defenses will just not respect him, you saw that already last night. And when Owusu and Smith come back, then what? WR screens 15 times a game? F that!

Paperface needs to respond and emerge as a leader, and get himself back asap and pick up the pieces of a good thing he had going so far this season, so we can find out once and for all if he can be an NFL QB. 

The Jets regime needs to know so they can make plans for the future, whether it is with Petty or somebody else.

RLLOL!  Did you come up with that name?  Just hilarious.  You get rep from me for "Paperface".  lol

If this is the case - can he practice leading up to week 1?...I mean if he can take an NFL hit in 4 weeks, you would think he would be able to run drills, drop back, make throws etc...after a week or two...

This is a great question. I had the same thought. I would think this means he can throw a football etc with a red jersey in practice. Because, like you said, if he is ready to get hit in a game he would have to be doing some work before that.

You don't know this, your opinion is being put together by agenda driven media pundits...

You're right, if Geno pays him, this doesn't happen, but none of us really know what happened and what all went down, and how long this was going on.  

Why isn't anybody talking about maybe IK being the douchebag about it?  Becht said it best, players cancel out on player invited camps all the time and don't ever pay any money.

I won't sit here and say Geno doesn't have a hand in any of this, but the over the top blame only on Geno is equally as silly.

What agenda-driven pundits? Revis? What could you have possibly imagined that Geno did that would elicit getting punched in the jaw with such force? You think he was calmly trying to rationalize with IK and then he just went schizo on Geno without provocation? Be realistic; that's not even remotely believable. 

IK is more than a mere douchebag. His actions were criminal no matter what; even in a worst-case scenario of Geno loudly flapping his mouth and pointed a finger in IK's face, daring him to do something about it. It's still criminal behavior, whether or not it gets prosecuted.

I've been very easy on Geno. I'd classify myself as being very supportive of him, since we had no one else, and wanting very badly for him to work out. Also because his (physical and age) upside is greater than the only other option we have presently. 

What seems clear is he hasn't an ounce of leadership in him. Without even getting into whether or not he stuck his finger in IK's face, since it makes no difference, he was either welching on a measly $600, throwing his weight around as the team's QB, or both. 

If Geno was acting remotely appropriately (independent of the debt itself), the whole team would be backing him in unison. The most support he's gotten was from those wanting to diffuse the situation (the ones who are agenda-driven in that direction, which you're accepting as gospel, including Bowles who may not have even witnessed what happened). And even those that paint him in the best light allude to both of them carrying fault but IK being far more so simply for throwing a punch (or punches).

There's no way to retell this story with Geno looking anything other than bad. There are only degrees of how bad. 

• Upvote 3

This is a great question. I had the same thought. I would think this means he can throw a football etc with a red jersey in practice. Because, like you said, if he is ready to get hit in a game he would have to be doing some work before that.

Right, and assuming that's the case.  Does he start week 1?

I'm one that was holding out hope he can would take the next step - and we could have a quality offense...So, I would love to see him start if he can.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

no matter what degree of blame Geno has in this, he comes out of it humiliated and less than a leader than he was before. This isn't just a physical setback where he misses training and exhibition games - it's also a setback to the perception of his manhood and leadership abilities.

Geno could put on a red wig and giant shoes and start hanging out in giant tents that blare carnival music - and you'd still hesitate to call him a clown.

• Upvote 1

What about what has happened since?  I have seen people claim that this is more indication of Geno's immaturity and lack of leadership, but I think keeping his mouth shut and doing what he can to come back ASAP was the right way to play it.  He looked like a smug ass in that picture, but his jaw was broken.  Main problem is he had that look on his face all too much before.

• Upvote 1

Cosign. If he was a dick like Phillip Rivers, yeah fine. But Geno's dickishness isn't that. You can just tell most of the team doesn't like the guy very much. Most of his teammates don't back him or say good things about him, nor preempt problems that he has with other players. The fact that Revis said they all knew it was broiling between these two says enough. If he was this team's leader, that gets squashed by everyone else immediately.

He's a douche. Always has been. All the way back to his WVU days and there are plenty of instances as a Jet now to conclude the same. Some guys are just assholes, which is fine. But you can't be an a$$hole and a starting quarterback in the NFL.

Broiled. Jesus Christ I need to quit pot.

Now this is funny

The Lions played 'Can't Feel My Face' when Geno Smith was announced as inactive

Oct 16, 2014; Foxborough, MA, USA. New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith (7) looks to throw the ball during the first half at Gillette Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark L. Baer-USA TODAY Sports ORG XMIT: USATSI-180194 ORIG FILE ID:  20141016_pjc_aa6_101.JPG

EMAIL

By: Nina Mandell | August 14, 2015 10:03 am 

Ford Field playing "Can't Feel My Face" by The Weeknd just as the Jets announce Geno Smith being inactive. Can't make this up.

I diss the Ford Field DJ a lot, but if "Can't Feel My Face" was intentional, it'd be on par with "Never Scared" from Bills game last year.

According to Detroit News reporter Josh Katzenstein, when Jets quarterback Geno Smith was announced as inactive on Thursday night in the preseason opener, the popular song ‘Can’t Feel My Face’ blasted out from the sound system.

A generous way to look at this is to just point to the music charts — The Weeknd’s hit has been near the top all summer so it’s not impossible to think it was just an ill-timed song in the rotation at the stadium. Maybe it was set long before Smith’s jaw was fractured by a now former-teammate.

But the other way to think about it as a masterful troll job is much funnier.

Now this is funny

The Lions played 'Can't Feel My Face' when Geno Smith was announced as inactive

Oct 16, 2014; Foxborough, MA, USA. New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith (7) looks to throw the ball during the first half at Gillette Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark L. Baer-USA TODAY Sports ORG XMIT: USATSI-180194 ORIG FILE ID:  20141016_pjc_aa6_101.JPG

EMAIL

By: Nina Mandell | August 14, 2015 10:03 am 

Ford Field playing "Can't Feel My Face" by The Weeknd just as the Jets announce Geno Smith being inactive. Can't make this up.

I diss the Ford Field DJ a lot, but if "Can't Feel My Face" was intentional, it'd be on par with "Never Scared" from Bills game last year.

According to Detroit News reporter Josh Katzenstein, when Jets quarterback Geno Smith was announced as inactive on Thursday night in the preseason opener, the popular song ‘Can’t Feel My Face’ blasted out from the sound system.

A generous way to look at this is to just point to the music charts — The Weeknd’s hit has been near the top all summer so it’s not impossible to think it was just an ill-timed song in the rotation at the stadium. Maybe it was set long before Smith’s jaw was fractured by a now former-teammate.

But the other way to think about it as a masterful troll job is much funnier.

Can't blame them.  We'd do the same thing in that situation.

Hypothetical scenario but something to that effect occurred.  Totally agree with your consensus.  Its a fact Geno got what he deserved.  Numerous sources are confirming this. We cut the wrong dude.  Wonder how Rex would have handled this. "Allright boys will be boys. Lets not get all twisted over this. Shake hands and lets get a snack.  Geno see me in my office - I got one of those curly straws - It'll come in handy for you now."  

Waiting to see the video of this that is being kept locked away in Jets training vault. Wouldn't that be something!  Its got to be there somewhere.  Then we can all get a better first hand account of what really happened.  Probably went something like this:

Ik: Yo Geno where's my cash I fronted you man. You dissing me bro.

Geno: Yo chill homie. Why you buggin.

IK: Say what? Its been weeks man - stop playing me fool.

(Teammates sense an impending doom but no one comes to Geno's aid and they get the microwave popcorn ready for a showdown)   

Geno: Man I told you I aint paying you - I didn't use the ticket so its not my problem - get the money from the airline and stop being a bitch.

IK: WHAT you call me!

Geno: You heard - I'm the starting QB - you aint nothing but a jive ass 6th round pick - what you  gonna do.

(Geno feeling confident walks over to IK and pokes him in the chest and all hell breaks loose....POW BANG BOOM

Down Goes  Geno - Down Goes Geno - Down Goes Geno  -

Someone has this video- count on it!

^

Hypothetical scenario but something to that effect occurred.  Totally agree with your consensus.  Its a fact Geno got what he deserved.  Numerous sources are confirming this. We cut the wrong dude.  Wonder how Rex would have handled this. "Allright boys will be boys. Lets not get all twisted over this. Shake hands and lets get a snack.  Geno see me in my office - I got one of those curly straws - It'll come in handy for you now."  

Waiting to see the video of this that is being kept locked away in Jets training vault. Wouldn't that be something!  Its got to be there somewhere.  Then we can all get a better first hand account of what really happened.  Probably went something like this:

(Teammates sense an impending doom but no one comes to Geno's aid and they get the microwave popcorn ready for a showdown)   

Geno: Man I told you I aint paying you - I didn't use the ticket so its not my problem - get the money from the airline and stop being a bitch.

Geno: You heard - I'm the starting QB - you aint nothing but a jive ass 6th round pick - what you  gonna do.

(Geno feeling confident walks over to IK and pokes him in the chest and all hell breaks loose....POW BANG BOOM

Do you picture them as Amos & Andy or Boyz in the Hood?  Maybe Super Fly

• Upvote 1

emmy-0.jpg

• Upvote 1