Geno Smith Punched by IK, out 6-10 weeks. All discussion here (MERGED)

IK Enemkpali: Many Jets players called to ‘check’ how I was doing

By Bart Hubbuch

August 15, 2015 | 3:12am

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Geno Smith nemesis IK Enemkpali wouldn’t answer questions about The Punch Heard ’Round the NFL on Friday night, but what little he did say was revealing nonetheless.

Fresh off his debut with Rex Ryan’s Bills, Enemkpali said a host of former Jets teammates — including the entire 2014 rookie class with which he came in — called to cheer him up after Enemkpali fractured Smith’s jaw with a punch Tuesday morning.

If you’re wondering how much backing Smith still has in the Jets’ locker room, the outpouring for the guy who sidelined the Gang Green quarterback for 6-to-10 weeks — and relative silence for Smith — appeared to speak volumes.

“They called to see how I’m doing and called to check on me,” Enemkpali said of his former Jets mates after the Bills’ 25-24 loss to the Panthers in the preseason opener for both teams at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

A source close to Enemkpali said one of the first Jets to call him after the shocking locker-room fracas Tuesday morning that got Enemkpali immediately released was linebacker Demario Davis, who also works out with him in the offseason.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/15/ik-enemkpali-many-jets-players-called-to-check-how-i-was-doing/

• Thumb Down 1

IK Enemkpali: Many Jets players called to ‘check’ how I was doing

By Bart Hubbuch

August 15, 2015 | 3:12am

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Geno Smith nemesis IK Enemkpali wouldn’t answer questions about The Punch Heard ’Round the NFL on Friday night, but what little he did say was revealing nonetheless.

Fresh off his debut with Rex Ryan’s Bills, Enemkpali said a host of former Jets teammates — including the entire 2014 rookie class with which he came in — called to cheer him up after Enemkpali fractured Smith’s jaw with a punch Tuesday morning.

If you’re wondering how much backing Smith still has in the Jets’ locker room, the outpouring for the guy who sidelined the Gang Green quarterback for 6-to-10 weeks — and relative silence for Smith — appeared to speak volumes.

“They called to see how I’m doing and called to check on me,” Enemkpali said of his former Jets mates after the Bills’ 25-24 loss to the Panthers in the preseason opener for both teams at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

A source close to Enemkpali said one of the first Jets to call him after the shocking locker-room fracas Tuesday morning that got Enemkpali immediately released was linebacker Demario Davis, who also works out with him in the offseason.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/15/ik-enemkpali-many-jets-players-called-to-check-how-i-was-doing/

3 fourth stringers called him.  Good for him.  Talk about media-made-up stories.....

Geno has lost a lot of backing I believe with the organization over this issue. He was at least a 50/50 accomplice in this fiasco. Would be very surprised if he was here next season his position calls for leadership and this along with past noted transgression show a lack of that virtue. Geno has taked the talk but not walked the walk!!!

• Upvote 1

• 7 years later...
9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

^^ Called it back in 2015 

LifetimeAchievementAward-PrinceTakingBows.gif.e93ab5cdce09b32357229df6c81e70b6.gif

What are you stupid I like this guy Darron Lee or maybe we can move up for Carson Wentz dude is gonna be a stud....also Joe Flacco is a free agent the guy throws for 4000 yards a season would be the best QB since Namath.

• Haha 2

After that nobody thought Geno would be around that much longer. But not only did he survive but he learned how to play the position and parlayed it into a starting job and good contract. It gives you hope for Zach who is being killed by everybody similar to what Geno went through. Some pundits are saying stuff like Jets didn’t have a QB last season and actually we did he just didn’t play well. 

26 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

After that nobody thought Geno would be around that much longer. But not only did he survive but he learned how to play the position and parlayed it into a starting job and good contract. It gives you hope for Zach who is being killed by everybody similar to what Geno went through. Some pundits are saying stuff like Jets didn’t have a QB last season and actually we did he just didn’t play well. 

All we have to do is wait 9.5 years and you too can lose in the Divisional Round 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All we have to do is wait 9.5 years and you too can lose in the Divisional Round 

Geno’s emergence surprised no one more than me but the victory laps are funny. If a guy takes a decade to become non-lousy, he’s not a draftable player. He’s a vet-minimum FA signing after he busted elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Revisionist history.  Geno's time under center as a Jet was 10x better than Zack's.  So no way no how is there a comparison.  Geno was below average, Zack was 10x worse.  IMHO Geno and Sam are/were in the same boat.  Zack was never able to tread water let alone swim.             

24 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Revisionist history.  Geno's time under center as a Jet was 10x better than Zack's.  So no way no how is there a comparison.  Geno was below average, Zack was 10x worse.  IMHO Geno and Sam are/were in the same boat.  Zack was never able to tread water let alone swim.             

At this time a year ago after Zach's rookie season most people on this board weren't negative about Zach. They thought after year one he had a good future and would be Jets starting Qb. He came into 2022 off of injuries and didn't play until game 4. The team was winning it wasn't only Breece Hall and Garrett Wilson he basically played well enough to win games you have to give him some credit for those 5 Ws. Even if as just an average game manager. Then he hit a wall esp in two games the rest of his starts were OK. And the Jets lost their last 6 games after being in contention for the playoffs. And people were mad, really mad and he was the number one person to blame. It's kind of like politics you have to blame somebody.  2022 was not a good year for Qbs many of them had bad games too. He deserved to be benched but he's not all time terrible. And some of the tendencies we saw with Geno like running backwards we see in Zach. But I think he can fix those problems not sure about doing it here though. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

At this time a year ago after Zach's rookie season most people on this board weren't negative about Zach. They thought after year one he had a good future and would be Jets starting Qb. He came into 2022 off of injuries and didn't play until game 4. The team was winning it wasn't only Breece Hall and Garrett Wilson he basically played well enough to win games you have to give him some credit for those 5 Ws. Even if as just an average game manager. Then he hit a wall esp in two games the rest of his starts were OK. And the Jets lost their last 6 games after being in contention for the playoffs. And people were mad, really mad and he was the number one person to blame. It's kind of like politics you have to blame somebody.  2022 was not a good year for Qbs many of them had bad games too. He deserved to be benched but he's not all time terrible. And some of the tendencies we saw with Geno like running backwards we see in Zach. But I think he can fix those problems not sure about doing it here though. 

I suppose there have been QBs who were pretty bad in year one and then got worse in year two but who went on to become NFL starters.   I suppose....  :)   After all, never say never... 

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I suppose there have been QBs who were pretty bad in year one and then got worse in year two but who went on to become NFL starters.   I suppose....  :)   After all, never say never... 

Some PowerBall tickets win, also.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1