What does Fitz need to do to hang onto job?

jgb

If jets go FILL IN BLANK Fitz keep starting job  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What Minimum record does fitz need to keep job

• 1-3
    • 2-2
    • 3-1
    • 4-0
    • Cant lose a job due to injury, geno automatically gets job back

I guess if Fitz isnt Tom Brady he is garbage around here.  Jeez they guy has been great IMO.

People act like Romo just got hurt here and Fitz is holding the fort down. Geno has pretty much shown us nothing in his career outside a handful of games. Keep it rolling Fitz! 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You think Fitz would be better than terrible if he had last year's receivers and offense in general?  Please. 

Yes I do, but that's only based on the fact that he has been better than terrible at every single stop of his career no matter who his receivers were, and has had to do it in the first year of a new system and new receivers more times than not.  All of the things people pretend impossible tasks in discussing Geno.

I think you're wrong.  Fitzpatrick has been plagued by interception problems even as a veteran QB.  Geno has been plagued by turnover problems early in his career.  His first year we were waiting patiently for Kerley to come back since he was their only NFL caliber receiver.  Kerley can't even crack the lineup now, and we waiting for him as the savior of the receiving corps two years ago.  Realizing how bad things were, they got Decker, who got hurt early in the season.  And added Harvin as a plug-in in midseason, which is NOT the same as having a guy from training camp.  Sorry, Fitzpatrick doesn't do a damn thing with the Jets' receiving corps the last two years.

In this case, it meant more than "a handful of times".  Those are my measuring units:  Never, sometimes, more than a handful and frequently.  Thanks for asking.

me thinks you need to downgrade from "more than a handful of times" to maybe "once or twice". its always good to add another measuring unit:D

You think Fitz would be better than terrible if he had last year's receivers and offense in general?  Please.  Marshall takes an interception away from a defender and turns it into a first down near the goal line.  Marshall this, Marshall that, then Decker makes a nice play in the mix.  Last year it was a hurt Decker to make ALL the big plays and then Harvin comes in midseason.  And all of our receivers have been here since training camp opened, and Fitz was working with them all camp long, so I don't get where you think Fitz is working at some disadvantage time-wise.  

and to think that the weapons have been holding geno back the entire time. who would have thunk it

Stay healthy. 

I agree. I don't think Geno Smith automatically gets the job back. If Fitz stays healthy, keeps feeding Marshall the ball and the team is winning, why mess with that with a guy that has been on the shelf for six weeks and may be rusty coming back. The Jets have a formula that has worked for them in the past and will again. Caretaker QB, solid run game and takeaways on defense. Jets 10-6 and Geno is traded next year for third or fourth round pick.

Geno was the choice of the new coaching staff before he got injured.  Fitz' success is largely due to Marshall making great plays on the ball, with some by Decker mixed in.  What Jets receiver last year takes an interception away from the defender and makes it into a first down near the goal line?

I agree. I don't think Geno Smith automatically gets the job back.

Bowles has already said that Geno doesn't automatically get the job back.  He said if the Jets are winning games and the offense is doing well enough, the change won't be made.  Both conditions have been satisfied so far.

All he needs to do is not be Geno or Sanchez.

Keep his head down and keep the business-like attitude.

w/ sanchez this is a SB caliber team.  please do not put Geno and sanchez in the same category.

there is no way Geno gets his job back unless Fitz falls on his face and we start stacking losses or Fitz gets hurt.

Anyone that watched last night's game and saw great QB play from Fitz was not paying attention.  The guy did what he had to do, but this idea that he is going thru progressions is just not supported by what I saw.  He locked onto receivers and frequently just chucked it into coverage down the field when replays showed underneath receivers who were open.  Fitzpatrick is a very good backup QB.  Let's let the coaching staff determine who gives us the best chance to win.  I think there is a good chance we stick with Fitz because of the success Arizona had last year with playing lesser QB's who managed the game.  

It was obvious he was going thru route tree, even mentioned it on ESPN or NFL Networlk after game on one his throws to the young WR. Said it was his 3rd read on that play.

last week Decker TD wasnt his primary. Geno sucks, its simple.

we dont 'really' know this. For all we know they were being PC as far as 'Vet keep job unless thru injury'..but fact we went and got  a Vet who knew gailey system and then drafted a 4trh rd QB tells me the HC/GM were going to find any reason they could before week 1 to say 'Fitz appears better suited at this point to lead team'. Instead they were handed a perfect excuse. I think we will see Fitz in 2015, maybe 2016, then a handoff to Petty.

If injury to Fitz in 1st half 2015 we will see Geno however.

I think you're wrong.  Fitzpatrick has been plagued by interception problems even as a veteran QB.  Geno has been plagued by turnover problems early in his career.  His first year we were waiting patiently for Kerley to come back since he was their only NFL caliber receiver.  Kerley can't even crack the lineup now, and we waiting for him as the savior of the receiving corps two years ago.  Realizing how bad things were, they got Decker, who got hurt early in the season.  And added Harvin as a plug-in in midseason, which is NOT the same as having a guy from training camp.  Sorry, Fitzpatrick doesn't do a damn thing with the Jets' receiving corps the last two years.

I'll stick with what I know to be fact as opposed to what I think might have happened if maybe he was possibly in a particular situation.  His on filed production shows he's solid, which is better than what we're accustomed to. 

Here's to hoping no matter who is under center, they aren't horrible....Sadly, that's where the bar is for this team.

It was obvious he was going thru route tree, even mentioned it on ESPN or NFL Networlk after game on one his throws to the young WR. Said it was his 3rd read on that play.

last week Decker TD wasnt his primary. Geno sucks, its simple.

At this point, I agree with you, but Fitzpatrick does not all of a sudden become some god send just because he isn't Geno.  We know what Fitzpatrick is, a very ordinary QB who has been dumped by multiple teams for poor and inconsistent play.  The Jets won last night on defense and our offense was helped greatly by opportune yellow flags and field position.

At this point, I agree with you, but Fitzpatrick does not all of a sudden become some god send just because he isn't Geno.  We know what Fitzpatrick is, a very ordinary QB who has been dumped by multiple teams for poor and inconsistent play.  The Jets won last night on defense and our offense was helped greatly by opportune yellow flags and field position.

I agree Fitz isnt going to HOF. But with this Defense, witrh fact he knows Gailey system playting in it 3 years, he is a great fit for us. I have no illusiuons of Brees like #s trust me. But I feel more comfortable with hitting more 2nd/3rd route runners and NOT turning around and running backwards when wall collapses. geno wall 'collapsed' more mainly cause after Primary was covered he panicked. Fitz nice game manager with upside cause he knows playbook so well. That means a helluva lot when everyone else on team, this is thier 1st year in new system. Fitz can mentor/advise w/system.

same goes for Cro's 'extra value'. best days behind him, but he knows Bowles Zona scheme/playbook and that means a great deal to other D players who are seeing this playbook for 1st time.

we dont 'really' know this. For all we know they were being PC as far as 'Vet keep job unless thru injury'..but fact we went and got  a Vet who knew gailey system and then drafted a 4trh rd QB tells me the HC/GM were going to find any reason they could before week 1 to say 'Fitz appears better suited at this point to lead team'. Instead they were handed a perfect excuse. I think we will see Fitz in 2015, maybe 2016, then a handoff to Petty.

If injury to Fitz in 1st half 2015 we will see Geno however.

There's no evidence to support that theory, and a lot to dispute it. Geno had been their starter from the moment they took over the team right up until Geno got his jaw broken. Gailey was more candid than Bowles wanted him to be when he said that only an injury would remove him from the starting job - before an injury did. 

Fitz has seized his opportunity so far, though. They seem to be taking an if it ain't broke, don't fix it approach to the position. It's Fitz's job to lose this year. Unless Fitz has a Rich Gannon type season, the job will probably be wide open next year. They hadn't given up on Geno like a lot of the fanbase has, not at all. 

That game in Philly was a complete disaster- hard to take

The O was bad too but the D was really bad those last few weeks.  That Philly game they got humiliated, the Victor Cruz play which turned around the Jets and Giants seasons the next week then that 13 minute drive to the legendary Matt Moore in week 17.

to be fair Geno never had Gailey(or the advantage of having played for Gailey for many years) and the talent to work with that Fitz now has around him.

Your facts are impossible to argue. Yet, to my point I can say that 2 consecutive weeks Geno throws a Hail Mary pass 15 yards out of bounds and missed receivers by 5 or more yards.

Your facts are impossible to argue. Yet, to my point I can say that 2 consecutive weeks Geno throws a Hail Mary pass 15 yards out of bounds and missed receivers by 5 or more yards.

I don't know what geno would have done, I hope he never plays again b/c that means fitz is playing reasonably well and we are winning.

There's no evidence to support that theory, and a lot to dispute it. Geno had been their starter from the moment they took over the team right up until Geno got his jaw broken. Gailey was more candid than Bowles wanted him to be when he said that only an injury would remove him from the starting job - before an injury did. 

Fitz has seized his opportunity so far, though. They seem to be taking an if it ain't broke, don't fix it approach to the position. It's Fitz's job to lose this year. Unless Fitz has a Rich Gannon type season, the job will probably be wide open next year. They hadn't given up on Geno like a lot of the fanbase has, not at all. 

agree to disagree,,like u said no evidence,, coaches could have been bluffing or telling truth..you or I dont know..

Here is what I know: Ryan Fitzpatrick is 2-0 as QB for the NYJ.    

let's see what happens the next few weeks and then make a decision.   

Why does it feel that there is a large minority who is just biding its time waiting for Fitz to have a rough outing to pounce and chime in with "Told you so!!!!" Every QB has a rough outing now and then (i.e. Luck last night). I hope Bowles is not the reactionary type to hook Fitz after one clunker.

SOJ(fans)

Archived