The Jets have reached out to Rex Grossman

T0mShane

Sh!t. Yeah that's a mistake. They're now basically gambling the entire season on Fitz staying healthy.

The team overall is improved, sure. But if Fitz goes down and we lose every game 'til Geno or Fitz ready to roll again, the team isn't good enough to dig out of an 0-5 hole.

Really hope they pickup a vet in time to get some preseason work.

Unless Geno's outlook isn't as bad as predicted? Any word/updates on the surgery and expected recovery time other than 6-10 weeks?

Why does it jeopardize the whole season, Geno should be back around the bye.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who do you guys want?  There is literally NOBODY to sign that isn't injured right now.  I think its the best move at this moment.  I'd prefer a vet right now but there just isn't any.  Our younger guys will have pressure free preseason games to evaluate at an early stage. Fitz will probably get very little playing time in preseason besides the 3rd preseason game.

Agreed.  There was literally no one out there I'm actually kind of impressed that they were able to find someone off the street who was even halfway mediocre.

He should be back by around week 6.  The most fair criticism of Fitz is his ability to stay healthy or lack thereof but law of averages says he survives until then.

Game 6? That's the week after the bye, isn't it?

Either way, need Fitzpatrick to stay healthy because the alternatives right now suck

Who do you guys want?  There is literally NOBODY to sign that isn't injured right now.  I think its the best move at this moment.  I'd prefer a vet right now but there just isn't any.  Our younger guys will have pressure free preseason games to evaluate at an early stage. Fitz will probably get very little playing time in preseason besides the 3rd preseason game.

Why does it jeopardize the whole season, Geno should be back around the bye.

Worry about relying on a guy just coming off an injury to stay healthy.  It'd be nice to have someone/anyone who's played an NFL down before, that could come play in the event Fitz gets hurt.  I'd say that jeopardizes the season because, as I mentioned, there's no way this team (even though much improved overall, is still average at best at QB with either Geno or Fitz) could dig out of an 0-5 hole.

I don't think Petty even qualifies as a legitimate emergency QB at this point.  So if Fitz goes down...  have Kerley run the wildcat?

There are guys to bring in.  Not good options, but options.  Maybe they're gambling Fitz can make it 'til at least week 2 or 3 w/o an injury and then any vet they bring in at the end of preseason would have had a couple weeks of practice.  Regardless, still a gamble.

Worry about relying on a guy just coming off an injury to stay healthy.  It'd be nice to have someone/anyone who's played an NFL down before, that could come play in the event Fitz gets hurt.  I'd say that jeopardizes the season because, as I mentioned, there's no way this team (even though much improved overall, is still average at best at QB with either Geno or Fitz) could dig out of an 0-5 hole.

I don't think Petty even qualifies as a legitimate emergency QB at this point.  So if Fitz goes down...  have Kerley run the wildcat?

There are guys to bring in.  Not good options, but options.  Maybe they're gambling Fitz can make it 'til at least week 2 or 3 w/o an injury and then any vet they bring in at the end of preseason would have had a couple weeks of practice.  Regardless, still a gamble.

If Aaron Rogers gets injured who is the vet QB they have to take over?  They don't have one either.  They have a bunch of 3rd string QBs on their roster right now.  This isn't an isolated issue, every team has to play with some risk.  If Rogers goes down, Scott Tolzien goes in.  Everything in the NFL is a risk.  You need to look at this as a positive in some way.  Right now Petty and Heaps will get more pressure free reps in camp and preseason which is not a bad thing really.  The only mediocre options right now would be Grossman and Flynn and both of them are injured and wouldn't be ready for 3-4 weeks which is a waste when you can wait 2-3 weeks and probably pick up a better vet.

Just run the damn ball. Have Fitzy make some quick throws. People on the board have said that if Fitzy was the QB instead of Sanchez the Jets would have made the Superbowl in year 1 or 2 of Rex era. I don't buy that but the formula is the same. Play smart football and great Defense and you can maybe make the playoffs.

If the Jets had just found a way to trade up for Mariota... Carries himself like a true leader of men with the talent for success.

They keep screwing around with schwag QBs. Geno the punk and Harvard the retread. Gimme a break. Mark was a fail but at least they took a shot.

Kelly tried to mortgage the entire team for Mariota and Tennessee wasn't budging - how exactly were the Jets supposed to trade with a team that didn't want to trade?   

Thigpen was going to be brought in, Flynn just got cut by the Pats, there are guys out there.  Are they lousy?  Yes for sure but imo far better to get a lousy vet in here right here and now, get him learning the offense and then dump him if all goes well at the end of camp than to have one of our 3 QB's go down, then be scrambling for another camp arm and then complain that our vet does not know the offense.

I believe you need 4 QB for training camp and ex season.  We should get one now, even a crappy one.

Thigpen was going to be brought in, Flynn just got cut by the Pats, there are guys out there.  Are they lousy?  Yes for sure but imo far better to get a lousy vet in here right here and now, get him learning the offense and then dump him if all goes well at the end of camp than to have one of our 3 QB's go down, then be scrambling for another camp arm and then complain that our vet does not know the offense.

I believe you need 4 QB for training camp and ex season.  We should get one now, even a crappy one.

In 2013 they brought in Brady Quinn in this role, but he has been out of football a bit and doesn't seem like the best fit for Gailey.  Not the best fit for anyone really, but you know what I mean...

In 2013 they brought in Brady Quinn in this role, but he has been out of football a bit and doesn't seem like the best fit for Gailey.  Not the best fit for anyone really, but you know what I mean...

But he served the purpose and at least knew that a football was pointy at each end.  We don't need what we consider a totally viable guy but I just like having 4 QB's so you do not over throw your guys in camp or worse yet play you starter a bit too much in pre season.

But he served the purpose and at least knew that a football was pointy at each end.  We don't need what we consider a totally viable guy but I just like having 4 QB's so you do not over throw your guys in camp or worse yet play you starter a bit too much in pre season.

I think they will bring somebody in soon and Heaps will probably be the guy they "overwork". 

Archived