My Thoughts

varjet

I had sketched out some of my initial observations from all of the great camp notes and articles I had read.  Yesterday changed alot of that.  Here they are in brief:

• Overall-talent has been significantly upgraded, although unevenly.  The Jets should consider trading strengths to solve weaknesses.  The coaching and GM function appear significantly professionalized and upgraded, but this is a long-term project without drastic action.  That being said, many position groups (OL, DB, WR) are built to win today, so the Jets have to figure out a way to do that.  
  • QB-it sounded like Geno had been playing well this Summer and was progressing.  What is clear though from the recent press is that, although he is likely not in the Roethisberger behavior problem class, he has serious leadership issues, as well as questions as to whether he can play mistake free (or free enough) football. I have doubts as to whether he can ever be a true leader of this team.  It also appeared that Fitz was not having a great camp. Thus, although last week I would have said that all looked good with Geno improving, now i think we need another real QB to compete, and that a big trade is probably in order.  Geno was a calculated risk to carry the team as currently rebuilt, but now not only is he out for an extended period of time, his fatal flaw (leadership/character) appears to have been exposed.  If nothing else, Geno could throw a long-ball to stretch the defense throwing to guys like Owusu and D. Smith.  Fitz cannot do that as well.  I think the Jets should move on from Geno.  They really need to find someone else to take play during preseason that will be credible to help the other players develop-Petty is not that yet, and if Fitz gets hurt during preseason like Sanchez, we are really hosed.
  • WR-Marshall will win the Jets at least 2 games.  Decker will be better with Marshall, and development of other players plus Smith make a vastly improved group.  Hopefully it can be used given QB situation.  It sounded like Owusu was doing great things, but his concussion issues are very troubling.    I think it will be hard to keep Owusu and cut someone else given his medical situation.  You don't think other teams aren't going to go after his head?
  • RB-solid group as we know.  Could use Richardson's speed.  I like the idea of keeping a TE over Bohannon.  Saxton is practically a FB.
  • TE-I feel very much in the dark about where Amaro stands vis a vis his development.  With Sudfeld out, I feel that this group is thin.
  • OL-understanding that the Jets DL is among the best (if not the best) in the league, it seems like i read more about the defense getting the better of the OL than the other way around.  They do appear to be heading in a more drive-blocking scheme, which suits the team better.  I think that leaves some players behind.  It also appears that the Jets will need Colon to start, if for no other reason than to block Suh.  Dozier and Harrison are is potential successors.  Winters is another mystery for which more will be known during pre-season.  If he is not flawless during pre-season, he should immediately go.  It would have been nice to have acquired during the offseason someone who would allow Colon to be cut.
  • DL-enough said, although the team is overstocked here given weakness on OL and QB.  I support a rebalance.
  • LB-Mauldlin and Henderson are good new additions.  I think IK could have been a valuable DPR-I support filing criminal charges against him to keep him from joining the Bills at least.   This was unit that was talent starved for many years, and there is now better depth here.  Coples will remain a mystery, but his future is probably on the DL.
  • CB-Milliner will never be a healthy NFL player.  No sense cutting him now, but PUP initially seems to be the best answer-someone will get hurt, and he can try again to fill in.  
  • S-I never read about Pryor doing anything well..  I think in the end we conclude that this was an awful draft pick-he is too small to too what he thinks he can do.  He is not Chancellor.  I think the other guys  are underrated  and could do potentially better than Pryor.  Hopefully there is real competition.

Welcome thoughts.

I agree with most of your points.  The Geno thing is being over played by media and some fans right now.  If he happened to turn it around for this team this year great but I don't think the people in charge were relaying long term on a 2nd round pick who has been more down than up the last few years.  I love that we actually have some stern battles in camp this year for some spots.  O-line is a question, I think they are good enough to play vs avg or below dlines but we better have a good game plan vs elite dlines because we will be over matched.

More depth at RB is a good thing.  Secondary has some depth and battles. 

Qb is still the biggest issue, I have never been sold on Geno but was happy he was not turning it over a lot early in camp.  Fitzpatrick is the kind of guy that could be a decent hold the fort guy or could be at that age where his play falls off a cliff.

Keys to having a good season for this team as with many teams is turnover differential.  Teams like the Bears under Lovie smith got better results than they should have because they generate a lot of turnovers.

RB- ivory is great, then there's nothing. There is depth.

Whoever wins the backup spot is fine for a backup. Either Powell or Ridley. But they have 4 guys who are exactly the same type player.

Really needed a speedy pass catcher, either Vereen through FA or D Johnson through the draft.

I've never thought of Richardson as speedy though.

I keep asking but never get a single answer.  How is an OL that only allowed an inexperienced Geno to get sacked 28 or so times and blocked for the 2nd best rushing attack in the NFL problematic and a serious question?

I keep asking but never get a single answer.  How is an OL that only allowed an inexperienced Geno to get sacked 28 or so times and blocked for the 2nd best rushing attack in the NFL problematic and a serious question?

4-12

Any other questions?

Ya lost me on "OL built to win today"

That just means our pro bowl center and our long time LT are getting older.  We are currently trying to plug holes in the easiest spots on the line the last few years, guards and RT.  You normally can't rebuild LT and really good C without using significant resources.

I was never a fan of Geno; and I had real reservations as to whether this was going to be a break out year for him, but IMO this is the worst thing that could have happened to the Jets.  Forget the circus and egg on the organization, this is the worst thing that could have happened from a football stance.

Fitz is a great backup QB.  You want to a guy who is going to know the system, come in at a moments notice and win a few games to keep your playoffs alive, he is your guy.  Great fit.

But,  I don't think he is good enough to win the big show even with a great defense.  Great defenses will thwart him.  And, there will be only so far the Jets can go.  With Geno, there was a chance he could grow up, learn how to read defenses and you had a shot.  I didn't think there was a great chance, but a chance never the less.

No, we are likely to be a good team.  Maybe even make the playoffs, but then what?  We will end up picking in the bottom half of the draft and next year we will be right back again; no QB capable of wining the big game - this time Mangold, Revis, Brick, and Marshall are a year older.

If Petty isn't our future we are now stuck in mediocrity.  If the team doesn't believe Petty can start/compete next year and be the one, we need to do something drastic or else this year will be a waste.  We need to roll the dice on a guy who can be great, but isn't yet, and hope it either pays off, or we loose so bad we can draft that guy.  Or at least bad enough to bundle some picks to draft that guy.

2 days ago we were a significantly better team than last year that was hoping that either this year was Geno's year, or next year will be Petty's year.  Now we are a team just waiting to see if next year we can put our hopes on Petty.  Not great enough to win big, not bad enough to be better next year.  Stuck in the middle...

My point on the OL being built to win today was basically that it consists of veterans consuming alot of salary cap most of whom are what is usually a period of declining level of play.  Unlike our DL, we are not dealing with younger players developing into something better.  

Today's Jets are somewhat of an enigma, as it is now in large part a veteran team, yet we are not sure if they are playoff caliber.  I do think Geno would have played well enough to sneak the team into the playoffs this year, but I wonder if his ultimate decision making flaws would have prevented the team from winning a championship.

We have to appreciate the focus and commitment of Woody Johnson to improve the Jets and create a better team.  He has done that.  I am not convinced yet that he is willing to go the extra bit to create a championship team.  I think the football experts would tell you that Geno Smith is not a championship QB, but playing him this year used his inexpensive salary cap space and gave the team a chance.  In a complete fluke, we are now where we are.  If I am Mike Maccagnan, I am thinking about what options are available to get a QB that can get the team closer to a championship.  If Geno Smith is a real man, he shows up with $600, which he can withdraw from any ATM, and gives the guy his money rather than torment him.  It showed a complete lack of respect for another individual and teammate he makes more money than.  It also sounds like IK is a nut job.  But in any event, a player who treats his teammates like that is not someone they are going to march up the hill behind.  I think they should deal him and all of the other extra parts for a better QB.

So the DL sucks? Because you know 4-12.

The RBs who if the OL sucks because of 4-12 managed 2nd in the NFL how?

Should I have added a reason that makes sense?

Yea - the DL sucks :animal0029:  - ok - so what was the issue with the offense?  Geno? Lack of WRs? What?

Check out the SD game of this  past year and get back to me.

I agree with most of your points.  The Geno thing is being over played by media and some fans right now.  If he happened to turn it around for this team this year great but I don't think the people in charge were relaying long term on a 2nd round pick who has been more down than up the last few years.  I love that we actually have some stern battles in camp this year for some spots.  O-line is a question, I think they are good enough to play vs avg or below dlines but we better have a good game plan vs elite dlines because we will be over matched.

More depth at RB is a good thing.  Secondary has some depth and battles. 

Qb is still the biggest issue, I have never been sold on Geno but was happy he was not turning it over a lot early in camp.  Fitzpatrick is the kind of guy that could be a decent hold the fort guy or could be at that age where his play falls off a cliff.

Keys to having a good season for this team as with many teams is turnover differential.  Teams like the Bears under Lovie smith got better results than they should have because they generate a lot of turnovers.

Two things against Fitz:  he cannot get it deep and he has no escapability any more.

Two things for Fitz:  He is experienced and he is not Geno

With Geno, there was a chance he could grow up, learn how to read defenses  

as they said on the radio the other day he couldn't read the face of a man that was about to punch him in the face, why would we believe he could read defenses? 

this whole Geno Smith thing is a huge favor for everyone. He was going to suck. There was like a 99% chance of him being the same worst QB in the league he's been for the last two years. 

The O-line is not the problem on this team....

In fact, from a talent perspective there are very few holes...except the ONLY position that matters.

Good post ... BUT

There are plenty of question marks though that may work out but are not for sure:

RG - can Colon not false start?

LG - can Carpenter fit in & have a smooth transition?

RB - can one of the guys behind Ivory catch the 3rd down dump offs to move the chains?

TE - can Amaro hold onto the ball and progress from last year?

DE's - is Williams ready? Is Mo 100% healthy? When can Sheldon come back & is he gonna keep his nose clean?

OLB's - is Mauldin legit or can the old guys get in to the QB a half a step faster?

DB's - does Cro still have it when it counts?

S - can Pryor step it up at Strong? How's his hand?

Depth - our depth has already taken a beating ... Let's hope the injury bug gives us a break from here.

That is certainly a bunch that must mostly go in our favor in addition to at least C+ play out of the QB spot

Good post ... BUT

There are plenty of question marks though that may work out but are not for sure:

RG - can Colon not false start?

LG - can Carpenter fit in & have a smooth transition?

RB - can one of the guys behind Ivory catch the 3rd down dump offs to move the chains?

TE - can Amaro hold onto the ball and progress from last year?

DE's - is Williams ready? Is Mo 100% healthy? When can Sheldon come back & is he gonna keep his nose clean?

OLB's - is Mauldin legit or can the old guys get in to the QB a half a step faster?

DB's - does Cro still have it when it counts?

S - can Pryor step it up at Strong? How's his hand?

Depth - our depth has already taken a beating ... Let's hope the injury bug gives us a break from here.

That is certainly a bunch that must mostly go in our favor in addition to at least C+ play out of the QB spot

I don't disagree with much of what you're saying - but I think you can look at most teams and find questions marks.  The Jets talent is as goods as just about anyone's in the league.  This should almost certainly be a top 5 defense....a potentially top 5 running game...two quality possession targets at WR.  and a RB in Ivory that can become dominant if the Jets can keep 8 guys out of the box...

With a legit QB - this is a Super Bowl contender.

Yea - the DL sucks :animal0029: - ok - so what was the issue with the offense? Geno? Lack of WRs? What?

Check out the SD game of this past year and get back to me.

What's the matter, the same backward logic that you use for the OL doesn't work for the DL?

And all this side of the mouth talk has what to do with the original point that you can't or won't answer.

Low sack against totals and 2nd leading rushing attack equates to a bad OL how? One game in SD isn't close to an answer

I don't disagree with much of what you're saying - but I think you can look at most teams and find questions marks.  The Jets talent is as goods as just about anyone's in the league.  This should almost certainly be a top 5 defense....a potentially top 5 running game...two quality possession targets at WR.  and a RB in Ivory that can become dominant if the Jets can keep 8 guys out of the box...

Agreed

There's a saying in Yiddish that translates to:  If my grandmother had balls she'd be my grandfather.

Go get Kap. The Niner's are going nowhere this season. They need draft picks to rebuild.

Go get Kap. The Niner's are going nowhere this season. They need draft picks to rebuild.

I completely agree...I don't think you could offer them enough to get him..

But I would have no problem offering next year's first rounder for him...might seem like a lot, but he's better than anything we've had in a long time.

According to PFF it was Wilson.

Rep for the PFF info, not that it was Wilson.  Thing with Geno is that there are quite a few times where he randomly runs around without seeming to have any intent to run for a gain or throw downfield.  Those probably skew him a little bit.  There are plays where he looks like a guy trying to make the play last as long as possible to run out the clock.

Dont the numbers say Geno had longer to throw the ball than any QB in the league last year?

Possibly true, but misleading.

Typically in the face of an oncoming rush, Geno will run 10-15 yards behind the line of scrimmage in a meaningless footrace that renders the scripted pass play moot; most often this buys time for a 3-5 yard gain or an incomplete pass.

With sufficient weaponry, those 3-5 yard scampers should stretch to 4-6 yards.  Multiple superbowls await.  

S-I never read about Pryor doing anything well..  I think in the end we conclude that this was an awful draft pick-he is too small to too what he thinks he can do.  He is not Chancellor.  I think the other guys  are underrated  and could do potentially better than Pryor.  Hopefully there is real competition.

Pryor sucks out loud. Can't tackle in open space, runs slow - like he is jogging - and doesn't seem to have the toughness required to be a strong safety. 

Archived