Jets Source on Geno: He Deserved It

AFJF

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to say on that.  Coaches bring in former situational players all the time when they come available.  But Rex also had a strange refusal to play the young guns last year in a lost season.  IK got something like 37 snaps.  I know that Rex was a lame duck at that point and was trying to audition for his next job, but for a team lacking the pass rush department, you'd have thought IK would still have gotten more play over ancient guys like Babin and Pace.

I said it a million times..it was Rex's biggest disservice to the team last season.  He should've played the young guys he was trying to save his job to the bitter end.  Enemkpali looked explosive off the edge and had a ridiculous number of hurries/pressures despite only 37 snaps.  I get that this has to play out this way and we all pretend nobody ever liked him and he'll never be any good, but the fact of the matter is that he looked good when given the opportunity last season and was being mentioned on what seemed like a daily basis for getting to the QB in camp before he was released.

Geno Smith 'deserved' to be punched by IK Enemkpali, says one source

1 / 23

(Amanda Marzullo | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Print Email Charles Curtis | For NJ Advance Media By Charles Curtis | For NJ Advance Media

Follow on Twitter

on August 13, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Was Ryan Clark actually right about what went down in the Jets locker room when quarterback Geno Smith had his jaw broken by his now former teammate IK Enemkpali?

Clark had said Smith "put his finger in [Enemkpali's] face" and said, "Well, you're not going to do anything about it." Now we've got an anonymous source who told The Daily News Smith "was up in (Enemkpali's) face and pointed/touched his face."

"Geno deserved it," someone else told The Daily News. There was also this quote from another nameless source: "That'll get a man hit every time, especially one that hasn't earned respect."

That means not everyone in the organization completely blames Enemkpali for his actions. You also know what's coming next: If all of that is true, what does it say about Smith now?

Follow Charles Curtis on Twitter @charlescurtis82. Find NJ.com on Facebook

Not extolling the virtues of IK - but get your story straight.

Hit an off-duty, not uniformed, cop that was working security at a bar.

This also would have precluded his ability to identify himself as a cop. 

Ah, so it's poor little ol' IK. I mean don't we all punch people at bars and break co-workers jaws over debts? I am sure you would love to have this kid watch your children. 

Just a follow up story to AFJF's article.

Clark's source was probably IK himself.  They work out together.

Seems there wasn't just one source that feels Smith was out of line.  There are at least 3 witnesses that aren't cool with Smith's behavior.  

I don't think Bowels was misrepresenting what happened,  I think he was trying to protect his QB.  he has to return to that locker room.  it doesn't seem he has a lot of support there.

What I don't like is that Bowels asked the team to keep it in house.  This thing is leaking like crazy.  Seems like a lot of team mates don't want IK thrown under the bus, and for Smith to walk away as the victim.  

Yay. a Manish article that quotes unnamed sources and feeds into the 'Geno is a dick' narrative that so many here hold dear. One that follows up a report from Ryan 'I'm boys with IK' Clark, which somehow became the end all be all to what happened in the locker room.

I think what is concerning is the fact that there is a noticeable silence from the Jets locker room in defense of Geno. And that unfortunately says a lot. Besides Marshall's tweet, it's been deadly quiet. I don't think we'll even get the real story of went down, but it is apparent that the locker room and a lot of the fan base just don't like the guy. That doesn't matter if you perform like Rothlesberger or Rivers, but when you're Geno f'n Smith, you're screwed.

Marshall didn't even defend Geno.  He tweeted a single tear emoji icon.  I took that as he was disappointed, just like everyone else.  Total disappointment for what is supposed to be the leader of your team.  

i think fitz taking control will steady the ship.  seeing something good from petty tonight will do wonders for the fan base right now.

Agreed. Finally the Jets have a steady vet to turn to on the bench.. after the years of Vick, Sanchez, Brunell, Clemens, ect..

Fitz just needs to manage the game, and this team should still be able to compete.

Just a follow up story to AFJF's article.

Clark's source was probably IK himself.  They work out together.

Seems there wasn't just one source that feels Smith was out of line.  There are at least 3 witnesses that aren't cool with Smith's behavior.  

I don't think Bowels was misrepresenting what happened,  I think he was trying to protect his QB.  he has to return to that locker room.  it doesn't seem he has a lot of support there.

What I don't like is that Bowels asked the team to keep it in house.  This thing is leaking like crazy.  Seems like a lot of team mates don't want IK thrown under the bus, and for Smith to walk away as the victim.  

This could also play strong into whether Smith presses charges or not.

If this becomes a criminal issue - statements under oath will bring out what went on.

From the pretty much overwhelming lack of support for Smith - i don't see anyone committing perjury on his behalf.

Agreed. Finally the Jets have a steady vet to turn to on the bench.. after the years of Vick, Sanchez, Brunell, Clemens, ect..

Fitz just needs to manage the game, and this team should still be able to compete.

not merely compete.  the team has needed a qb the veterans respect for quite some time.  the 6 years of sanchez and geno hasn't bode well overall in the lockerroom, looking at it with hindsight.  

I said it a million times..it was Rex's biggest disservice to the team last season.  He should've played the young guys he was trying to save his job to the bitter end.  Enemkpali looked explosive off the edge and had a ridiculous number of hurries/pressures despite only 37 snaps.  I get that this has to play out this way and we all pretend nobody ever liked him and he'll never be any good, but the fact of the matter is that he looked good when given the opportunity last season and was being mentioned on what seemed like a daily basis for getting to the QB in camp before he was released.

This is totally correct.  For the limited time the guy had he produced pressure and in ex season sacks and strip sacks.  He in my mind was a legit pass rusher prospect and the jets have had poor production from olb in that area.  What's done is done but the he was one of our few late rounders that had some promise.

Did you get your stats from PFF?  Sporting charts gives him credit for one hurry in 40 snaps and two passes defensed.  Zero tackles or assists on 40 defensive and 40 ST snaps.  I assume the passes defensed were tips while rushing.  I liked what I saw out of IK, but heseems all potential and zero production.  I saw him look lost setting the edge and doesn't seem like he can drop back, but I admit I had an argument here with somebody who claimed he only played a handful of plays in the game I meant, so it may have been an impression expanded from one play.

Did you get your stats from PFF?  Sporting charts gives him credit for one hurry in 40 snaps and two passes defensed.  Zero tackles or assists on 40 defensive and 40 ST snaps.  I assume the passes defensed were tips while rushing.  I liked what I saw out of IK, but heseems all potential and zero production.  I saw him look lost setting the edge and doesn't seem like he can drop back, but I admit I had an argument here with somebody who claimed he only played a handful of plays in the game I meant, so it may have been an impression expanded from one play.

PFF and I re-watched the Miami game a couple times after going to the game with some pretty good seats.  I just happened to be sitting in a spot where I had a great view of IK coming around the corner.  On one play he actually make a mistake, missing the fact that the ball was handed off and kept chasing Tannehill, but the burst he showed in getting there so quickly showed that he has great quickness.  Far too few reps to say if he'll be any good or not, but enough to show that the tools are there if he can put it all together. 

PFF and I re-watched the Miami game a couple times after going to the game with some pretty good seats.  I just happened to be sitting in a spot where I had a great view of IK coming around the corner.  On one play he actually make a mistake, missing the fact that the ball was handed off and kept chasing Tannehill, but the burst he showed in getting there so quickly showed that he has great quickness.  Far too few reps to say if he'll be any good or not, but enough to show that the tools are there if he can put it all together. 

He really does kind of remind me of Westerman.  I think people should keep in mind how high some were on Westerman.  IK is the kind of player that has potential and is worth trying to develop, but I can certainly see using Babin over him last season.  The fact that Reilly got so many more ST reps also might be telling.  IK seemed like the rush guy, but Reilly has been flashing in camp, so the guy was a bubble player anyway. Coples, Pace, Babin, Mauldin, Reilly and a few interesting UDFA types.  There also is the possibility that some of the ILB guys play out there.  I am pretty sure that Henderson played OLB until 2013, Lattimore came in as an OLB, so they may look for versatility among the backups to carry less guys.

Marshall didn't even defend Geno.  He tweeted a single tear emoji icon.  I took that as he was disappointed, just like everyone else.  Total disappointment for what is supposed to be the leader of your team.  

Yeah.   I noticed that.  Marshall lives with Smith, he is the same guy who a few days ago was refusing to take reps from any QB except Smith.

I hope Marshall remains silent.  The real loss here could be if two camps emerge, one supporting Smith vocally, and one blaming him.  Bowels could lose this locker room over a very stupid incident.   Which probably would have been kept in house if all Smith got was a fat lip.  

Yay. a Manish article that quotes unnamed sources and feeds into the 'Geno is a dick' narrative that so many here hold dear.

I think what is concerning is the fact that there is a noticeable silence from the Jets locker room in defense of Geno.

That Geno is a dick was 100% crystal clear to me when he got booted off the commercial flight for being ... a dick.  

And btw, I admire your creative interpretation of a damning silence.

And btw, I admire your creative interpretation of a damning silence.

? The damning silence is obviously due to players not having Geno's back.. which is what I wrote. A locker room not liking a guy isn't a big deal if you perform on the field. Happens all the time. The problem has been Geno's performance on the field - which is something I had really hoped would improve with Gailey this season.

It's really weird. a lot of fans wanted to see Geno fail and are in their glory right now. i don't get it. His training camp had been solid, reports had been good, even Bowels said it was night and day since the spring. I was really looking forward to see how he looked in the preseason and if he could take that step. As long as the guy's not committing crimes I could care less if he's not likable... locker room problems are only an issue if you're losing.

And I get Geno sucked in years one and two. I saw the games. I thought he looked awful most of the time. But I was willing to give him year 3 with Gailey before blowing it up.  I guess after the years of false hope for Pennington and Sanchez has jaded the fan base with every young QB that comes along.  Bring on Fitz.. let's see what Gailey can get out of him again

It's not just Mehta.  The Post is independently reporting that Geno was the instigator in the altercation:

The players said Smith and Enemkapli were having words over the $600 debt Smith owed the linebacker, but they were on separate sides of the locker room. One source described Smith as “taunting” Enemkpali over it. Enemkpali challenged Smith to say it to his face. Smith did and pointed his finger in Enemkpali’s face, which then led to Enemkpali punching Smith and breaking his jaw.

Sports Illustrated said a member of the Bills staff contacted a Jets player to find out the details of the fight before the team claimed him. The player described Smith as being the aggressor in the argument.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/13/geno-smith-said-to-need-wake-up-call-after-instigating-jaw-punch/

gotta say I've done a total 180 on this. is there anything worse in life than someone owing you something and then laughing in your face about it? I'm not quite as mad at IK now. a smart person/non-hot-head would have realized that you just cant knock out your teams QB but if he was provoked like these reports are saying, I can see how he snapped. it doesnt make it right, it just makes you realize there is two sides to this story. and now Rex with the cherry on top to pick IK up in buffalo.

only the Jets can produce a story like this. the buttfumble, a coach tripping a player in the middle of a play, Rex's weird tattoos, the Santonio Holmes fumble, the wildcat obsession, the Green Bay timeout, Tebow, etc. its just comical sometimes and us as fans get the worst of it. 

Geno it seems has not matured at all which is quite sad. now hes got no respect in the locker room and a veteran in front of him when he does come back. he'll have to play out of his mind and win games to even start to gain these guys trust back. then 1 more year on his contract and that might be it for him in a Jets uniform with our new regime.

onward we go with Fitz and Petty. 

gotta say I've done a total 180 on this. is there anything worse in life than someone owing you something and then laughing in your face about it? I'm not quite as mad at IK now. a smart person/non-hot-head would have realized that you just cant knock out your teams QB but if he was provoked like these reports are saying, I can see how he snapped. it doesnt make it right, it just makes you realize there is two sides to this story. and now Rex with the cherry on top to pick IK up in buffalo.

only the Jets can produce a story like this. the buttfumble, a coach tripping a player in the middle of a play, Rex's weird tattoos, the Santonio Holmes fumble, the wildcat obsession, the Green Bay timeout, Tebow, etc. its just comical sometimes and us as fans get the worst of it. 

Geno it seems has not matured at all which is quite sad. now hes got no respect in the locker room and a veteran in front of him when he does come back. he'll have to play out of his mind and win games to even start to gain these guys trust back. then 1 more year on his contract and that might be it for him in a Jets uniform with our new regime.

onward we go with Fitz and Petty. 

I'm with you.. I was really optimistic with the reports coming out of camp this year, that my initial reaction was to be pissed off at IK that this happened. While I still don't think that he deserved to be punched, Geno's actions are quite telling, as is the fact that his teammates have not rushed to his defense. As a fan, I was hoping Geno would turn the corner and be "the guy" but at this point I don't see that happening.

Look Im not a geno fan at all BUT lets be honest the fanbase despises Geno so they will put the blame on him no matter whose fault it is. I hate to say it but if IK shot Geno in the face instead of punching him our fans would still blame Geno in some way

I think if Geno had stolen a pack of skittles and punched IK lethal force would have been justified or that's what the courts tell me.

my first thought was, well, geno lost the locker room.  but when you read all the anonymous comments, it's clear he never had it to begin with.  you have to wonder if bowles made a mistake not declaring the starting qb job an open competition, given geno's poor performance thus far in his career.  

the jets can't afford to play fitz for more than 2 series tonight, too risky.  i wouldn't be surprised if petty got in a series with the starters either.  bowles/mccagnan will be as curious to find out about petty as tanny was with sanchez (though he was a high 1st round pick so tanny was going to ride that out) and idzik was with geno.  and while i think bowles/mccagnan really did want to see if geno could evolve into 'the guy', i think they got their answer with this off the field incident, before a preseason snap.  

I think maybe more than the money it's actually worse that he pimped IK at his camp, in his hometown, in front of his homies.

Regardless of Smith's reason for not attending (and be prepared to be amazed when that ends up being a hand job), He coulda shoulda tried to wear IK's shoes in the deal.

ME people like Smith don't think like that.   

He didn't play much on specials early on but I know I saw him on the field against Miami...looked it up on PFF and he was on ST's for weeks 13, 15, 16, 17. Topped out at 12 ST plays in weeks 15 and 17 so he saw his reps increase late in the season FWIW.

wow pff has stats for everything. Do you have to have an account to access all of it?

What IK did was wrong, but remember the context; they aren't in a meeting wearing suits; this is football and most of the players come from a background where you don't take the 'dis-respect'.  Again, IK never should have hit him.

But, I think what is more telling is what happened after the fight.

IK, was release and apologized for his actions.  Said he let the situation get out of control, but he should have walked away.  Clearly he has anger control issues he needs to deal with.

Geno tweeted a selfie about how he would be back.  No apology, no statement.  Cleary he is a punk.  Not sure you can get help for that.  I said it in another thread, slipping to the 2nd round didn't wake him up; sucking for 2 seasons didn't wake him up either.  It looks like getting punched in the face and having the locker room partly blame him for it didn't seem to wake him up either...

Archived