Could this kerfuffle end up being a Wally Pipp 'causal moment' for both Geno AND the Jets?

SouthernJet

How I imagine this post was created:

SouthernJet wakes up and rolls out of bed. Picks up his t-mobile sidekick cell phone, heading toward the porcelain patio he no doubt has set up in his bathroom. He lays his cheeks upon the comfort he likes to call home. He swipes through the stories of the day from Fox News. Lightning strikes his brain. He pulls up JetNation.com. "Let me post a completely new topic about Geno Smith. That sounds brilliant." He posts the above topic. Finishes his morning constitutional. Breaks out the baby wipes and hand sanitizer. He flushes as a single tear streams down his face and lands in his perfectly manicured mustached.

"My work here is done. But there is more where that came from, old friend." He sighs.

End scene.

SouthernJet wakes up and rolls out of bed. Picks up his t-mobile sidekick cell phone, heading toward the porcelain patio he no doubt has set up in his bathroom. He lays his cheeks upon the comfort he likes to call home. He swipes through the stories of the day from Fox News. Lightning strikes his brain. He pulls up JetNation.com. "Let me post a completely new topic about Geno Smith. That sounds brilliant." He posts the above topic. Finishes his morning constitutional. Breaks out the baby wipes and hand sanitizer. He flushes as a single tear streams down his face and lands in his perfectly manicured mustached.

"My work here is done. But there is more where that came from, old friend." He sighs.

End scene.

LMAO 

End scene.

So you do know my dad then

Of course then someone tried to get into a debate on all the ways fitzpatrick wasn't lou gehrig :happy0071:

Well considering Wally Pipp was a very good player (to which Geno is not), and Lou Gehrig was an all time great (I'm assuming you're not trying to insinuate the same for Ryan Fitzpatrick, but I'm starting to wonder) the entire analogy is like comparing apples to a chrome bumper.  In fact the situation couldn't be much further from the Wally Pipp scenario and why the Wally Pipp scenario is called the Wally Pipp scenario.  It's actually alot more like the tens of thousands of other situations where marginal players lost their job due to injury.  But you and your old man should keep high fiving. 

Well considering Wally Pipp was a very good player (to which Geno is not), and Lou Gehrig was an all time great (I'm assuming you're not trying to insinuate the same for Ryan Fitzpatrick, but I'm starting to wonder) the entire analogy is like comparing apples to a chrome bumper.  In fact the situation couldn't be much further from the Wally Pipp scenario and why the Wally Pipp scenario is called the Wally Pipp scenario.  It's actually alot more like the tens of thousands of other situations where marginal players lost their job due to injury.  But you and your old man should keep high fiving. 

It was a timely 'hey look at this' comment, wasnt a 100% factual comparison..  Some folks take everything so literal. There would be no threads if folks had to be anal arnies

Could this result in eventual end of Geno the Jet and the sooner than expected emergence of Petty in 2016/2017 and Fitz hopefully playing well in 2015 (possible 2016)?

One never knows,,,,,,,,,,

Well the odds of Fitz playing well and for the season are very low. Does Geno get his job back if and when Fitz falters? Unknown. Despite what posters are thinking we really do not know what the team thinks of Geno or what has happened.

The offense should be good for Petty. I would say in one punch Petty went from close to 0% chance of being the Jets starter to 50/50. 

Well the odds of Fitz playing well and for the season are very low. Does Geno get his job back if and when Fitz falters? Unknown. Despite what posters are thinking we really do not know what the team thinks of Geno or what has happened.

The offense should be good for Petty. I would say in one punch Petty went from close to 0% chance of being the Jets starter to 50/50. 

well for sure if Fitz falters horribly or gets hurt before Geno healed then petty starts. You are right, for 2016, Petty odds went way up as potential starter.

With our Defense I am just hoping for a veteran to manage the ball, know a punt isnt a bad thing and not take us out of FG range with 'turn backwards' 20 yard sack losses, smh

Wally Pipp wasn't despised by fellow baseball players or the worst everyday first baseman in the league. The bar is pretty low with Geno but I have my fingers crossed.

agree, just meant would it spell end of a career w/one team and a change in direction for the team itself... :)

I ate a chicken salad sammie for lunch, it had too much mayo...tomorrow maybe a reuben on rye bread 

I love chicken salad...did it have celery?

I like Pastrami over Reuben, not a corned beef guy..

Hope all well with you and yours.......

the only good thing that i can see out of this is that I think the Jets are ready to move on from Geno; he is clearly lacking in leadership, maturity, and professionalism.  so, unless he knocks the ball out of the park this season he is gone.  I was worried he would do just enough for people to want to give him one more year; Mac did a great job on one season, and you can't do it all at once, but it is clear Petty needs to be the guy or we need to move on.  I don't think an average (or even above average) year by Geno will be enough for him to stay.

Archived