A Deadwood Movie Perhaps? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?????

SoFlaJets

HBO Confirms Early Talks of ‘Deadwood’ Movie

deadwood.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1 AUGUST 12, 2015 | 09:52PM PT
Stuart Oldham Editor, Variety.com@s_oldham

Is “Deadwood” about to return from the dead?

A spokesman for HBO confirmed to Variety that “very preliminary discussions” have been made to resurrect the Western series with a movie, though it’s unclear how serious the premium channel is about the pic.

Actor Garret Dillahunt, who played Francis Wilcott on the series that ran from 2004-06, ignited the chatter Wednesday when he tweeted: “So uh….I’m hearing credible rumors about a #Deadwood movie.”

“Come on HBO,” he wrote. “You made the ‘Entourage’ movie. Give the #Deadwood fans some closure.”

Despite the overture, fans of the Emmy-winning drama know not to hop in the saddle just yet.

HBO previously announced two “Deadwood” movies when it officially cancelled the show in 2008, but nothing ever came of them. Creator David Milch was also said to be offered a shorter fourth season of the series but quickly rejected the idea.

Still, Hollywood loves a comeback story and Milch, himself, has hinted at the possibility of a revival.

“I don’t know that the last word has been said on the subject,” he told Esquire in 2011. “I still nourish the hope that we’re going to get to do a little more work in that area.”

“Deadwood,” which starred Ian McShane as merciless saloon owner Al Swearengen, ran for three seasons before abruptly ending its run.

The acclaimed drama also starred Timothy Olyphant, Molly Parker, and Brad Douriff, and is widely considered to be one of HBO’s best original series alongside “The Wire” and “The Sopranos.”

Archived