QB dept. : Bryce Petty ~ ~ ~

kelly

With starting quarterback Geno Smith out until late September at the earliest due to a broken jaw suffered at the hands of now-former teammate IK Enemkpali, this is the perfect time for the New York Jets to take a chance on rookie quarterback Bryce Petty who, if he succeeds, could become the franchise’s new cash cow.

Despite that, however, Petty has an uphill battle ahead of him before the team’s season opener against the Cleveland Browns on September 13. Per ESPN’s Rich Cimini, Jets head coach Todd Bowles has already said that the starting quarterback’s job belongs to veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick, and the New York Daily News is reporting that Jets management has reached out to veteran Rex Grossman about coming aboard as well.In the blink of an eye, the preseason hasn’t even truly started yet and Petty has to fight potentially two lesser players for the starting quarterback’s job, assuming he’s even given a chance to compete for it, and Bowles seems hell bent on letting him ride the bench this year so he can develop slowly. Fitzpatrick is 32 years old and though a good enough game-manager, he owns a career record of 38-58-1 and is not the man the Jets should have under center if they want to get back into contention sooner rather than later.

Assuming that Grossman comes aboard and starts some games, the Jets would then be brushing Petty aside in favor a quarterback who, despite having started a Super Bowl, has thrown 60 interceptions to just 56 touchdowns and has not started an NFL game since 2011, let alone played in one since then.Now, take Petty’s playing style into consideration. He has great build for a quarterback at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, and proved to be a fine pocket passer who could also use his legs when necessary playing in Art Briles’ one-look Pistol Offense at Baylor, a system very similar to that of Philadelphia Eagles’ coach Chip Kelly’s spread offense. In four seasons with the Bears, Petty threw for 8,195 yards and had 62 touchdowns to just 10 interceptions while also contributing 338 yards and 21 scores on the ground.

It also just so happens that under new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, the Jets are expected to run a spread offense similar to what Petty played in at Baylor. With talented receivers in veterans Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall and rookie Devin Smith (currently sidelined with broken ribs), not to mention second-year tight end Jace Amaro, Petty has every tool available to succeed on the NFL level almost immediately and thus slowly build up his value as a player, not to mention rebuild the overall value of the Jets,as the team is looking to avoid missing the playoffs for the fifth straight yr in 2015. And yet, despite all of the signs that point to Bryce Petty being an ideal fit in the Jets’ new offense under Todd Bowles and his offensive coordinator Gailey, Bowles seems intent on starting the veteran Fitzpatrick while Petty, who slipped into the fourth round of this year’s NFL Draft due to concerns surrounding a back injury and his ability to adapt from the college game to the pros, watches from the bench.

While understandable that Jets management probably doesn’t want Fitzpatrick and his $3.25 million salary to ultimately be on the books for nothing, which is odd considering how he was brought in to be Smith’s backup in the first place, Petty’s skill set and incredibly cheap price tag at $435,000 for this season are just too glaring to ignore now that Smith is hurt and out for an extended period of time.Thus, at this point, the Jets have two options. They can either ride out the up-and-down Smith’s injury and hope for the best with Fitzpatrick under center until Smith is ready to return, if he does it all, or they can give Petty a fair shot and let him develop and adjust to the NFL by letting him see some extended action in the preseason. Should he meet and exceed expectations there, it would be pretty hard for Bowles and his staff to bench him just for the sake of development when they could potentially have one of the most talented and under-the-radar rookies in the league winning games for the Jets, and at a cheap price to boot.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbenjamin/2015/08/11/bryce-petty-can-become-cash-cow-for-new-york-jets/

saw this..

~ ~  @RichCimini seemed to me that Bryce Petty had issues setting his feet when making throws; a lot off back foot, arm throws. Agree? #Jetsmail

@RichCimini :

Agree, but let's cut him some slack. We're talking about a rookie in his first NFL game. The game was moving faster than a Sheldon Richardson-driven Bentley, causing his mechanics to go on the fritz. Hey, it happens to the best of them. When John Elway was a rookie, he lined up behind the guard one time. When Geno Smith was a rookie ... oh, never mind. But you get my point, right? Let's see how Petty grows from the experience before we brand him as something. Should he be the No. 2 quarterback? No way, but give him a chance to learn.

rest of above article :

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53074/is-jets-cb-antonio-cromartie-starting-to-decline-at-31

Start Petty I like our chances better than with Fitzpatrick he hasn't done a damn thing to make me feel any different here or anywhere he's been in his career. 

if petty is our starter this season.. we're in trouble :blowup:

The education of Bryce Petty means avoiding the temptation to go into warp speed. He has the physical skills, mental makeup and maturity to thrive, but there’s a danger in rushing his development that the Jets must avoid.Patience has its privileges, especially with a 24-year-old rookie quarterback wise beyond his years. He is engaging and genuinely humble, a next-level thinker who knows that 90% of the battle is won above the neck.He has miles to go before he sleeps. He’s confident, not cocky. He knows he can play here. He also knows there’s a lot he doesn’t know.

The NFL landscape has been littered with cautionary tales of talented quarterbacks fast-tracked to oblivion. Petty has the baseline skill set that talent evaluators crave. Cannon arm. Good head on his shoulders. Leadership traits.The Jets should cultivate his talent, not wreck it by needlessly accelerating his transition from a simplified college spread system. Petty might be the answer to a 40-year-old question for an organization looking for a true franchise quarterback if the brain trust takes a cautious and smart approach.

“I don’t have a timetable,” Petty told the Daily News after practice on Saturday. “There’s not a whole lot of retraining. It’s learning something new. It’s fun. The bumps and bruises are hard. I’m a perfectionist, so to miss things, to not get things sometimes, that part’s hard. . . . But when you sit back and think about the football knowledge I’ve learned these last couple months, man that’s cool to me. I’m excited about what’s ahead.”The Jets are optimistic, too. General manager Mike Maccagnan might have found a starter in the fourth round, but he won’t know for sure for at least another year or two or three.It’s blasphemous in today’s NFL to give quarterbacks the necessary time to study, learn and grow. The notion that the Houston Oilers plucked Steve McNair out of Alcorn State only to hand him a clipboard to watch behind Chris Chandler for much of his rookie season is foreign now. The thought of Randall Cunningham playing only on third-and-longs early in his career wouldn’t fly today.

So, young talent is fed to the wolves. Some QBs like David Carr never overcome the psychological trauma.The next is now. Sooner, however, is rarely better unless your name is Luck.Petty has a chance to make it if handled properly. The Jets quarterback depth took a hit when Geno Smith, who is persona non grata these days, landed in the hospital after getting clocked in the jaw by a disgruntled teammate.The Jets will add a veteran signal caller later this summer. In the meantime, Petty has received extended practice reps as the No. 2 quarterback behind veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick. He endured his fair share of struggles in his pro debut last week against the Lions. He made “ground-level execution” mistakes, as he called it, but it’s hardly reason to panic.“Bryce has it,” Fitzpatrick said. “He’s got all the physical tools that he’s ever going to need. ... We’re just continuing to try to work achieving that mental clarity when the ball is snapped. ... Eliminate all that clutter after the ball is snapped. The hardest thing to do as a young guy is to be at peace when the ball is snapped.”

Petty’s willingness to learn each day has given people in the organization belief that he might be what they’re looking for one day. There are no guarantees. He’s still in the embryonic stage of development, but the physical and mental upside is tantalizing.Petty’s pro outlook was all over the map. Some scouts believed that the former Baylor star that lit it up in Art Briles’ spread system for two years would have a real chance at immediate success. Others viewed him as a long-term project.

Petty knows he can play at this level. He says it without a trace of arrogance, which is hard to pull off for a rookie.“I’ve grown up watching these guys on Sundays,” Petty said. “At some point you got to say, my idols are now my competition. That’s important because you got to know that you can be here. ... I am a good quarterback. What I do works and I can be successful. For me, that was huge because there was a lot of doubt coming in from everybody. Can he do it?”He makes no promises or guarantees, but his goals are ambitious. He wants a gold jacket one day. Today, he just wants to accurately diagnosis a corner blitz.“You’re playing the wrong sport if you don’t want that,” Petty said of the Hall of Fame. “To be considered great, to be considered a legend in this game, it definitely means ending in Canton, Ohio. That’s obviously what anybody wants: to be considered the best to ever play their sport. So I definitely want that, but right now it’s got to be things that I can control on a day-to-day basis until I know things like the back of my hand. Right now, I don’t.”

So, he continues to learn by asking questions and making mistakes. He just needs time.“I have the physical tools,” Petty said. “Now it’s just making sure I have the mental and then it could be…”His voice trailed off. He didn’t complete the thought. He didn’t have to.The promise of what lies ahead is intriguing.

> http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/metha-jets-rookie-qb-bryce-petty-showing-signals-success-article-1.2327369

Start Petty I like our chances better than with Fitzpatrick he hasn't done a damn thing to make me feel any different here or anywhere he's been in his career.

Must just be keeping you up nights that crappy Geno won't play for the first month. He also won't play at all after Fitz has a good four games.

Sucks for you Geno won't play another game for the Jets unless injury happens.

The Jets have had a long, painful struggle to find a franchise quarterback, and so any time a rookie quarterback for the Jets plays well, there’s going to be excitement. Which means it’s all aboard the Bryce Petty hype train.Petty played very well with the Jets’ second-string offense on Friday night against the Falcons, completing 12 of 19 passes for 168 yards and a touchdown, with no turnovers. That was a big improvement from Petty’s sub-par showing in his preseason debut, and he said he felt a lot more comfortable in his second game.

“I think last week I had no idea what to expect as far as the game goes, as far as myself personally and emotionally, how it would roll and so I felt like coming in to this week I would have a better understanding of how things went down and how things worked. I felt a lot more comfortable out there. There was definitely progress as far as where I was last week to this week so that’s good,” Petty said.

Petty believes he has improved in a short time.“It’s progress every week and that’s what I got to keep telling myself, every day, to get better, and every week to get better. I can’t get complacent, I can’t get happy about this. I have to get back in there in the film room and go to work. I still have to get better at decision making. I think especially situationally in the red zone I have to throw catchable balls that only our guys can catch and allow us to score points and not put ourselves in jeopardy down there. We’re learning.”

The Jets don’t yet believe Petty is ready to play in the regular season, which is why they signed Matt Flynn to be there in case Ryan Fitzpatrick gets hurt during Geno Smith’s absence. But Petty showed on Friday night that he has potential. The Jets will take it.

> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/22/bryce-petty-shows-some-promise-for-the-jets/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

It's just what we need another Quarterback controversy, the media love this stuff for the Jets. Petty had a great game, but it's only one and mostly V Scrubs, that said his arm is impressive. The pass to Posey was a bullet.

I'd like to see him in some more against the Giants.

NFL Nation reporters look ahead to what Friday has in store for each team.

~ ~  New York Jets : Rookie quarterback Bryce Petty could play the entire second half on Saturday night in the Jets' third preseason game, but there's nothing at stake in terms of the depth chart. There is no chance he will be the No. 2 quarterback for Week 1, according to Todd Bowles. Matt Flynn is projected as the primary backup -- but he could lose the spot to newly signed Josh Johnson if Flynn's hamstring problem persists. Petty will be playing simply to gain much-needed experience. -- Rich Cimini

rest of above article :

> http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13529545/pittsburgh-steelers-plan-replace-wr-martavis-bryant

It's just what we need another Quarterback controversy, the media love this stuff for the Jets. Petty had a great game, but it's only one and mostly V Scrubs, that said his arm is impressive. The pass to Posey was a bullet.

I'd like to see him in some more against the Giants.

There's no QB controversy involving Petty.  Bowels has made it clear he doesn't even want him as #2.   Wise choice.  Even if Petty plays great against the Giants, and Birds, he's still not in the mix.  I'm expecting the spread offense  rookie is going to raise it's head Saturday.    Not the end of the world either.    

There's no QB controversy involving Petty.  Bowels has made it clear he doesn't even want him as #2.   Wise choice.  Even if Petty plays great against the Giants, and Birds, he's still not in the mix.  I'm expecting the spread offense  rookie is going to raise it's head Saturday.    Not the end of the world either.    

The NY media will make one if he plays well again, you know what their like.  I like the kid to sit also, if he's the real deal he will beat people out in camp.

• 2 weeks later...

~ ~ New York Jets : This is a big week for rookie Bryce Petty, who has a lot of cramming to do in preparation for Sunday's game against the Browns. With Geno Smith still recovering from a broken jaw, Petty will be the No. 2 quarterback, according to coach Todd Bowles. Petty won't get many reps in practice, as most of those will go to starter Ryan Fitzpatrick, so the former Baylor star will need to pay close attention in meetings and do a lot of studying on his own. Petty improved in the preseason, but he had no prior experience in a pro-style offense. -- Rich Cimini

rest of above article :

> http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13612309/marcus-mariota-tennessee-titans-jameis-winston-tampa-bay-buccaneers-face-debuts-wednesday-nfl-preview

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey had this to say about rookie QB Bryce Petty: "I don't like where he is, but I like where's headed." Can he get there by Sunday? Of course not. That's why the Jets are taking a calculated risk by making Petty the No. 2 QB. They haven't ruled out adding a veteran next week.

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Will rookie QB Bryce Petty be a heartbreaker for Jets  ?

@RichCimini Are higher ups at One Jets Drive pleasantly surprised by Petty's growth ? There a sense he factors into next yrs comp ? #jetsmail

@RichCimini: No, I wouldn't say they're pleasantly surprised with Bryce Petty. They're reasonably satisfied with his progress, but it's not like they're blown away. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey offered a candid assessment the other day, saying, "I don't like where he is, but I like where he's headed." That's a great way of putting it. The preseason was a tremendous learning experience for Petty -- he played 101 snaps in three games -- but he still has such a long way to go. At Baylor, he played in an uptempo, spread system. Most colleges employ that style, but football people will tell you the Baylor scheme, in particular, is as far away from a pro-style offense as you can get. He played against vanilla coverages, stunting his development in terms of reading coverages.

You're probably wondering, "So why is he the No. 2 quarterback this week?" It's a fair question. They could've kept Matt Flynn or Josh Johnson, both of whom are better than Petty right now. But the Jets decided the gap between Petty and a second-rate veteran was offset by Petty's familiarity with the Jets' offense. It's a calculated risk, for sure. But, if something happens to Ryan Fitzpatrick, they feel Petty could operate more of the playbook than Flynn or Johnson. Another factor: They wanted to use the spot for a developmental player at the bottom of the roster. Make no mistake, if Fitzpatrick is injured and can't play Week 2, they'll sign a veteran.

As for next year's competition, who knows? It's impossible to say at this point. The Jets have 16 games to figure out the futures of Fitzpatrick (a free agent) and Geno Smith. If they're still looking for a quarterback at the end of the year, my hunch is they'd try to acquire a proven veteran in the offseason. It would be an awfully big leap of faith to include Petty, a fourth-round pick, in the quarterback conversation for 2016 unless there's evidence he can play at this level.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54055/will-rookie-qb-bryce-petty-be-a-heartbreaker-for-the-jets

A twisted ankle. A tweaked hamstring. A big hit.

Bryce Petty — the rookie quarterback who supposedly was at least a year away from being ready to play in a real game — is one injury away from finding his way into the spotlight.And the former Baylor star isn’t shying away from the potential of such an outcome.“I feel really confident of how far I’ve come, and how far I’ve come along with learning the offense,” Petty said after Friday’s practice. “Preparation’s there. Now you’ve just got to execute, whether I’m called on this game or a game down the road, [or] God forbid something happens to [Ryan Fitzpatrick].“I’ve kind of been dreaming about this for a long time. The draft process and then mini-camp, OTAs, preseason, all that stuff was great. Now [the season is] here. I got a job to do and make sure I execute and make sure the Jets are proud for drafting me.”

After starting quarterback Geno Smith suffered a broken jaw at the hands of former teammate IK Enemkpali on Aug. 11, elevating Fitzpatrick to the starting job, the Jets signed veterans Matt Flynn and Josh Johnson to back up Fitzpatrick. But both were cut, a surprising move considering coach Todd Bowles previously had dismissed the idea Petty could be the opening-day backup.“For me, it showed they’ve got a lot of confidence [in me], and that means a lot,” said Petty, who the Jets took in the fourth round of the draft after he led Baylor to a share of a second straight Big 12 crown last year, throwing for 3,855 yards and 29 touchdowns. “By them doing that, it means at least I’m in the direction they want me to be in.”

Maybe there was another reason the team’s decision-makers changed their mind about Petty.“I left an awful lot of money in coach Bowles’ office, so I think he got it,” Petty joked, cracking up reporters.Bowles said Petty’s experience in offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s offense dating back to the spring was a major reason the team didn’t keep Johnson or Flynn. But so was Petty’s improvement. He showed some of his potential in three preseason games, completing 27 of 45 passes for 260 yards, a touchdown and no interceptions.“He’s gotten better it seems like every week,” Gailey said. “He really has. … I like where he’s headed.”

Said Bowles: “We knew what we were doing when we put him at number two.”

Petty, coming from Baylor’s spread system, described his transformation into a traditional NFL offense from the spring to now as “night and day.” He’s doing less thinking and more reacting. The game is beginning to slow down for him.That’s not to say he’s anywhere close to where he wants to be. Petty, who described himself as a perfectionist, has been upset he hasn’t picked things up quicker. He was disappointed with a few of his reads in his final preseason game, but Petty also understands it takes time.“It’s growing, it’s getting in there, it’s throwing picks, missing protections — all those things you need to learn from, and you’ve got to make you don’t do those mistakes twice,” he said. “I knew that part would come.

“It’s just kind of a snowball effect, it’s just sometimes a slow snowball, as opposed to one rolling downhill. But at any rate, it’s still moving. That’s my thing, it’s just learning and staying positive.”

>    http://nypost.com/2015/09/11/one-play-all-that-stands-between-bryce-petty-and-ny-spotlight/?ref=yfp

• 1 month later...

— When the week began, there was a chance rookie Bryce Petty—a fourth-round pick being groomed for the future—could have been the starting quarterback when the Jets took the field at MetLife Stadium on Sunday to face the Jaguars.

Both starter Ryan Fitzpatrick (torn left thumb ligament) and backup Geno Smith (bruised shoulder) emerged from last week's game at the Raiders with injuries. By Wednesday, however, both Fitzpatrick and Smith were back at practice, after which head coach Todd Bowles declared that Fitzpatrick was good to go, and that Smith would be his backup. Which meant Petty was back to being the No. 3, back to waiting and preparing for his turn, whenever it might come.

But given how close we got to Petty Time, Petty was asked this week by NJ Advance Media about where he is with his development, and how prepared he might have been had his big opportunity arrived this weekend.

Q: What was it like as the week began and it looked like you might maybe start?

A: "I was scared sh—no, I'm just kidding. For me, even on the plane ride, I've kind of had a good attitude about it, and I think Baylor kind of prepared me for that part of it, in a sense, because I've been a backup before. I know what I want to get out of being a backup, if I have to sit and watch—it's why they're calling certain calls, when they like to call them. There's a certain, I guess, method to the madness. So, for me, this whole time, I've been trying to prepare like I want to start every week—watching film, getting into the game plan, just little things like that. As hard as it is to kind of sit and watch—because you can only see so much and learn so much by watching—it really felt like if this was my week, then, hey, this was my week. That's exactly what they drafted me for. And it's what I want to do. 

"That's the hard part about being a backup quarterback: You can't play special teams, you can't do anything. It's kind of a tough line sometimes. But I was ready, excited, just as I'm ready and excited if I don't play."

Q: How hard is it to prepare mentally without playing? You can watch all the film in the world and get as many reps as possible at practice, but nothing really replicates what it's actually like in a game.

A: "I think it's all about you personally, and what you're here for. I don't want to take this thing for granted. Being with Fitz right now is the greatest possible situation I could be in, to learn as much as I can, day in and day out. Everything for me is future. I want to get better as a quarterback, as a person, as a teammate so that when I do get my opportunity, whenever that is, that 1) I take advantage of it; but 2) I don't let it just fly by—that feeling of, 'Oh, I could have done more.' That's the one thing I won't say. You've just got to prepare yourself like that."

Q: What's the biggest thing you've learned from Fitzpatrick?

A: "That I've got a lot to learn. There's just certain things that, being in the league for as long as he has, you can't get from watching film or even throwing out there on the practice field. It's kind of a culmination of everything, with all the looks that he's seen. This game can get tough and can weed you out really fast if you're not prepared. I think that's one thing that I've really learned from him is how he prepares for every game, and then how he attacks not only the game plan but practice. He's basically another coach on the field. After every play, he goes up to a receiver, 'They're going to play you like this, and I want it like that.' There's just like little tweaks and things like that that if you're not around him, you don't see. It's like the best thing that could ever happen to me."

Q: Now that you've had about half a season on an NFL roster, how much have you had to learn?

A: "Every day I learn something new, which is one of the coolest parts about this job."

Q: Is it overwhelming?

A: "You know, at first, it was a big mountain. But I think that I had good people around me, and I think I had the right mindset going in of just taking it a day at a time. Because if you look at the mountain at one time, it's like, 'Holy cow.' But if you look at this step that's right here, let's just get to this one. OK. And then the next step's right here. I've definitely taken bumps and bruises. As far as the transition was from leaving Baylor to where I am right now, I don't know if it's as fast as I wanted it to be. But one thing, and it's one to stay positive with, is it will click. Everyone that's ever talked to me has been like, 'Dude, It will click. It will click' And then it's like anything else, and it's just ball." I was elementary level. And this is master's, doctorate degree. And this isn't even as complex or as sophisticated as it can be in some other offenses."

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/bryce_petty_how_ready_was_he_to_start_this_week_fo.html#incart_river

Archived