Any take aways from tonight?

Freemanm

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My takeway, as many here in this thread, is that we wasted two years worth of draft picks.    What we have to show for the Idzik years is perhaps Sheldon (if he doesn't mess up again) and Ivory, who was a great pickup for a 4th round pick.   A couple of decent potential backups in Marcus Williams and Trevor Reilly, but that is it.    I don't count Geno in here, even if I see his potential, because drafting Geno caused Idzik to likely pass on Bridgewater (or any QB) and draft Pryor the year after.

Drafting Sanchez hurt our chances at landing Andrew luck....

happy no major injuries

even though preseason -it was pretty terrible to watch

a few guys look out of shape too

our coach reminds me of herm 2.0- and contrary to TV Herm , coach Herm was terrible

we have some real talent on offense in decker bmarsh and ivory-qb has me very WORRIED

-Mauldin looks good, might be a starter

-Howsare will make the team one way or the other (UDFA, also from DII, would be impressive)

-B Powell looked good

-The one play I missed was apparently a TD pass while McDougle was covering, other than that, I think he looked good.

-Marcus Williams pretty much held his own

-Macagnan didn't resign Greg Salas!!!!!!! FIRE MAC!!! @Makemeidsick

-I think half the reason Stafford and the ones were able to move the ball so easily was Sheldon and Mo not being in there. Not going to overreact about that

-Cumberland shouldn't make the team, but will.

-Would have been nice to see more of Amaro

-DD looks fat

Still watching the 2nd half from the DVR ... But so far:

Looked reasonable to good - Ivory, starting OL, Fitz, Marshall, the Powell brothers, Shaquille Evans,Keon Lyn, Trevor Reilly

Looked bad or worse - Cro, Pryor, 2nd string interior OL, Kellen Davis, Cumberland,

Other notes

Mauldin showed good potential ... But got Juked by RB when rushing in ... Also stupid roughing the passer play by going at QB head when he'd made good move to get in and bring pressure ... Love the fire & emotion he plays with ... Kid just needs to reign it in a little bit!

you guys do know there is both a new defense and a new offense being implemented and that this is the first real game action these guys have seen in those systems.

Settle the hell down ...Bowles put in vanilla schemes and he is evaluating players. if you want to talk about individual players like Pryor that's fine but people talking about the season being in the sh*tter need to take a step back and ******* relax.

Vanilla Schemes? Did you see how much blitzing Bowles put in yesterday. ( did you watch the game) It still early in the process( no need to panic) , but like I said just because you put a lot of money in that secondary, that area is still a big question mark- after Revis you don't know what you're going to get there.

Coming from a spread most of them look like infants when handing off, LOL. How was his progression reads? Did he bail after Primary covered? More than likely I guess :(

Only saw the highlights it didn't look pretty

Some of the throws looked so off I didn't know if he simply didn't know the play

Vanilla Schemes? Did you see how much blitzing Bowles put in yesterday. ( did you watch the game) It still early in the process( no need to panic) , but like I said just because you put a lot of money in that secondary, that area is still a big question mark- after Revis you don't know what you're going to get there.

You can blitz in a vanilla scheme. Our secondary will be fine. Except for Cro. He sucks.

There were some ups and downs; mostly what you would expect from the first preseason game. If anything, it was a sobering moment for anyone (incluing myself) that had irrational hopes that they would come out looking like a well-oiled machine. Hopefully they can build off from this game and continue to gel as preseason goes along. I'm going to go back and watch the game again, but here's my first impressions:

-Fitz looked okay, though it's hard to evaluate him with only one series. I thought he had good pocket presence. I thought the pass that Cumby dropped looked a little behind him (Cumby still should have went back for it), but perhaps that can be explained by a lack of reps for Fitz, and he just needs time to develop timing with his recievers.

-Ivory and Powell can still play. Richardson's performace was subpar. Stacy looked better.

-It's hard to evaluate the WRs and TEs with so few passes thrown--and nearly all of them short strikes--but there were too many drops.

-I didn't watch the OL that closely, but both Winters and Dozier were both beaten badly on the sack that Petty took.

-Petty seemed to have good pocket presence, stepping up to make a throw a couple times. His passes had zip on the ball, and he got them out very quickly. I don't know if that was by design, or if that was simply him getting rid of it quickly because he's so overwhelmed. His accuraccy was okay; not the best, but not horrible. Although I thought that pass that Kellen Davis dropped was right on the money.

-Or ILBs are still slow and suspect in pass coverage, although it was only vanilla and I expect Bowles to scheme around that and not put them in such vulnerable positions so often.

-I thought Joe Mays looked like one of the more active of the ILBs, and he led the team with 7 solo tackles and 1 assist.

-Mauldin showed great energy and got some good pressure on the QB. Despite his little mishap, I'm excited to see him grow.

-The Dline wasn't getting a lot of penetration, but I thought I saw Leonard Williams get some a few times. Sheldon blew up his man once, but he was going against the backups, so no surprise there.

-Marcus Williams looked had his ups and downs. Made one or two nice tackles, but also whiffed on a couple (as did the entire D). Played tight coverage, but didn't seem to turn his around much. Had a good PD on what was either a poorly thrown ball or broken route. Had the leaping INT on a ball that probably shouldn't have been thrown.

-McDougle didn't impress too much. Seemed to play his man more than the ball. Did have a nice leaping dive to break up a pass.

-The MVP on defense (IMO) was Reilly. Had a lot of constant pressure on the QB and seemed to be around the ball a lot on running plays. Losing a young, promising IK may not be so bad after all if Reilly continues to bring his A game.

-Special teams were nothing special. I wasn't impressed by any of the punt returner, but Walter Powell made a couple nice kick returns--he might win that job by default. If he can demonstrate that he can produce on offense, he could be a shoe in for the last WR spot. Walter did lead the recievers with a whooping 2 catches and 13 yards. Marshall was second with 1 catch and 12 yards. Hakim's speed continues to show up on STs as the gunner, but I think he needs to produce in other areas (I don't think the Lions let him return a kick, so they seem to fear his speed).

You can blitz in a vanilla scheme. Our secondary will be fine. Except for Cro. He sucks.

How much more complex is Jets defense going to get. ( predominantly play man to man defense). The Seattle defense is very Vanilla ( even in the regular season), but is so effective even when the opposition knows what they will be doing.( why that defense is the hallmark every defense strives to become).

Jmo I'm still sticking with my belief that Jets Cb outside Revis are huge question marks. Buster Skrine struggles against big Wr's.( that the book on him),( we're going to have to wait till end of the year to find out just how effective those Jet cb's were- not this preseason.

O line blocked well for Ivory. 
Ivory still runs like a beast. 

Fitz looks OK
Marshall looks like the same player he always was

Cumberland still sucks

Petty needs a lot more work (which was expected)
Mauldin looks like a player but needs time 

Pryor still looks awful

Walt Powell will make plays on special teams

Bowles looks like he knows what he is doing on the sidelines

How much more complex is Jets defense going to get. ( predominantly play man to man defense). The Seattle defense is very Vanilla ( even in the regular season), but is so effective even when the opposition knows what they will be doing.( why that defense is the hallmark every defense strives to become).

Jmo I'm still sticking with my belief that Jets Cb outside Revis are huge question marks. Buster Skrine struggles against big Wr's.( that the book on him),( we're going to have to wait till end of the year to find out just how effective those Jet cb's were- not this preseason.

And Skrine is a nickel whose job is to cover smaller receivers in the slot. Cro will be fine if not McDougle will get a shot.

yeah that damn secondary I'm not sure what Mac was thinking.

Good -

No major injuries

Marcus Williams camouflaged himself to look like Kyle Wilson and tricked the Lions into thinking he was bad, the kid played well and should not only make the roster but if he keeps it up he should start moving up the depth chart.

Mauldin looked like he was giving it everything he had it was exhausting just to watch that kid at some points in the game

Marshal looked good on the one catch that he had

Fitz completed 66.6% of his passes (2/3)

Bad-

D line got beat down by a rookie RB (no Wilkerson)

Cro (along with most of the team but also specifically) looked a bit sluggish

way to many easy tackles were missed that resulted in big plays

Depth at every position looked weak

One thing that worries me a bit is in Bowles press conference he said that the young kids are going to see less action next game and Fitz will play a lot more, playing your best QB to much in a preseason game doesn't seem like a good plan to me...look what happened to Sanchez a few years back leading to Geno getting his NFL start a bit prematurely.

How are you expecting the raiders to do this year?

My sense is they disappointed you last year relative to your preseason expectations. Hopefully they meet your expectations this year

One thing that worries me a bit is in Bowles press conference he said that the young kids are going to see less action next game and Fitz will play a lot more, playing your best QB to much in a preseason game doesn't seem like a good plan to me...look what happened to Sanchez a few years back leading to Geno getting his NFL start a bit prematurely.

The initial plan gave Geno all the # 1 snaps ... Fitz has to try and develop some chemistry with the top guys ... It's a risk that needs to be taken

Totally wasted money on Cro, he's done and there were a lot o better options...hopefully Mcdougle can take his job. Pryor s/b cut. OL still stinks. Petty makes Matt Simms look like Johny U. At least Rex's scheme could stop the run. Fitz is our worst starting QB since......Geno Smith. Can only hope that Davis and Harris do not play on passing downs. Devier Posey is the 3rd best WR. This is a 5-11 team.

Are we really talking about scheme after the first preseason game?

Powell is too slow to be a legit 3rd down guy. He looks good in context to the Jets personnel at the position. I don't know why we had to resign him tbh.

No, he doesn't have ideal speed for that role, but he's a great backup RB to have. He can run between the tackles, and he can catch. He was underutilized last season with C2K on the roster, and that was probably a mistake. He came up just short of 1000 total yards the year before. In a perfect world they'd have a true third down guy, and Powell would back up him and Ivory.

No, he doesn't have ideal speed for that role, but he's a great backup RB to have. He can run between the tackles, and he can catch. He was underutilized last season with C2K on the roster, and that was probably a mistake. He came up just short of 1000 total yards the year before. In a perfect world they'd have a true third down guy, and Powell would back up him and Ivory.

I agree with this. Was hoping they went Rb in the draft.

Don't kill Pryor, they are all learning a new defense.

The pussification of NFL training camps and the CBA is why the team looked like sh*t tonight. Watch the rest of the league, all teams look like sh*t, look no further than the Pats tonight, and that is with Brady and a team coming off of a SB.

Week 1 in pre-season

Team came away mostly healthy

Two brand new systems on both sides, plenty of kinks to work out

Jets had the added handicap of being punch drunk and raked through the coals in the media because of punch gate

Saw some good things in Petty, I liked how he handled himself out there, I thought he got confident as the game progressed, he's swimming, but I think we have something in him in the future, won't be ready this year, at least not the first half of the year... Love his physical attributes, mechanics, throws a nice ball. Best ball was on a play action roll out, faked on the out, looked down field, nothing there, went back to Posey. He had some mojo with Posey. Enumwa dropped a well thrown ball.

Maulden is going to be a beast

Reilly looked great

Powell, both of them

I liked what I saw of the DT Simon

WR is so much improved this year

Love Fitz, he's gritty, smart, a grinder, but not an NFL starter, we need Geno to respond, grow up, become a leader, and come back and take over this team if this team for this season is going to go anywhere...

Loved Bowels press conference, I'm going to camp on Sat, looking forward to the action, I think it will be an intense camp practice.

Schum is going to push Quigley

Liked the LB play overall

All good, reasonable points. I was simply disturbed at how the Lions so easily scored a TD in the opening drive. I'm also still bummed about the whole Geno situation

Archived