Good and Bad

UnitedWhofans

I said this from my first camp report, Petty is in "QB school" and he has no business

seeing the field this year.  What I did like was the coaching staff knows this and refused

to put him into "harms way" by calling a ton of pass plays.  Petty's best friend this year

will be our QB coach (Patullo) and the film room

Good: Fitzpatrick looked solid in the offense

The Powells (Bilal and Walter) looked good.

After first drive, starting defense stood up and held Detroit down.

Bad: Need Better tackling

Bryce Petty needs a lot of work.

Fitzpatrick threw 3 passes come on. 

What I've learned from watching preseason football over the years?. I've learned from Pats fans that Sudfeld is "baby Gronk", the "terminator" was a great pick, that Clowney was a stud WR, Ratliff would be our QB of the future, and on and on and on.

You don't learn squat from basically the 1st scrimmage of the year, BUT, some things do stand out.

Calvin Pryor is a draft pick almost as bad as Gholston. The guy can't play football! You see in his chosen position you have to be able to do 3 things very quickly, 1- diagnose the play 2- take the correct Angle and 3- make the tackle.

This guy does all 3 terribly!

He looks exactly like he did last year, clueless, and I have to say that I can't remember watching another high draft pick that whiffs SO BADLY when he tackles. It's like he's aiming at the ground.

Honestly, you could have taken a list from Mel Kiper, thrown darts at it during those 2 Idzik drafts & had a better draft! Wow!

Those 2 drafts will add another 3 years to McCags resurrection of this damn team.

But back to the game, means NOTHING..GLORIFIED SCRIMMAGE throwing multiple parts together. What does matter is we need another vet QB, if Fitz goes down before Geno gets back.

I actually think the offense will rally around Fitz & you'll see a sharper Oline.

People are really overreacting to this game. Petty is not an NFL qb prospect to begin with add to that he had to play basically the entire game because we have to protect Fitz add to that he's extremely raw.

How come they didn't let that other no name QB play.  I think his names is Heaps.  Let that guy play a series or two.

That's been said since February.

Agree. Honestly, people sound stupid acting surprised by this. 

I also couldn't help but roll my eyes at the "Petty needs to learn to read defenses, let him throw it down the field" rhetoric in the game thread. Petty is getting reps, and running low-risk plays. Now Chan has tape to review with Petty, that features Petty, where they can talk about pre-snap reads, and post-snap reads, and Petty didn't need to throw 3 interceptions and look like a sloppy mess to get this tape. I like the way he's being eased in. Let him complete some passes. Let him adjust to the speed of the game. Get some tape that you can review with him, where he is playing. All part of the process... now we just gotta hope that 1.) Gailey's tutoring is strong (evidence suggests it is), and 2.) Petty can absorb.

Chucking the ball down the field wasn't going to "teach" him anything. It was just going to make fans happy. Making Vinny Boombatz from the Bronx and Ira from Staten Island happy is the lowest priority when grooming a QB.

People are really overreacting to this game. Petty is not an NFL qb prospect to begin with add to that he had to play basically the entire game because we have to protect Fitz add to that he's extremely raw.

He's not a QB prospect to begin with? What... should he be playing offensive line?

Bryce Petty might legitly be further away at this point than Geno was coming out ..

Still holding hope out for Calvin Pryor but man does he resemble Kyle Wilson on the field seems so

Undersized out there

That was to be expected. It's also his first NFL game so I am hoping that we see some improvement between now and the final preseason game. And while he looked very raw, he didn't completely crap the bad. At least he completed more than 50% of his passes, didn't throw an INT and was only sacked once. 

I remember Andy Dalton looking far worse in a rookie preseason game against us a few years back. 

Despite being at his supposed 'natural' position of strong safety, Pryor continues to be unimpressive. He takes very bad angles and doesn't look like he wants to stick his nose in there. Arm tackling is his forte, despite being labelled a big hitter in college. Wasted draft pick IMO. Maybe Rex will give us a third rounder for him.

Some goods:

Ivory/first team OL

Bilal Powell

Mauldin was in the mix, even with some mistakes

McDougle also looked pretty good, despite the TD

Reilly flashed

Bads:

Cro

Pryor

RB Richardson

TEs - Cumberland and Davis with drops, Amaro apparently injured

Kerley - invisible playing with the #2s and #3s.. what's going on with this guy?

Despite being at his supposed 'natural' position of strong safety, Pryor continues to be unimpressive. He takes very bad angles and doesn't look like he wants to stick his nose in there. Arm tackling is his forte, despite being labelled a big hitter in college. Wasted draft pick IMO. Maybe Rex will give us a third rounder for him.

Ironic because experts thought he would be a first rounder anyway

True but the way Petty performed and us being undermanned at the QB position, they should've just threw him in the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't get the concern over preseason. We have an incompetent rookie qb playing the entire game unable to get first downs and fumbling hand offs what did you expect from the D.

Fitz isn't hurt = successful preseason game

Archived