Matt Flynn Working out for Jets today

AFJF

Hell, I'd sign up for his numbers in the game he started for Oakland. 64%, over 7ypa, 1/1, 227 yards. He only put up 7 and they went back to Pryor, but that is not horrible and his supporting cast/coaching was. He did fumble twice and throw a pick 6, so I can see not hanging with him, but an 85 rating in 2013 is pretty good for a guy you are finding on the street mid-August

He's a check down guy. I saw Flynn play in person in Seattle his stats look good on the surface but he only throws to whoever is in the flat or drag route. He can't really make progressions which is why Wilson who was an unknown at the time so easily took his job.

I'm not a petty guy and thought he looked terrible last night I'd still go with Petty over Flynn.

To be fair Nelson and Cobb were really the only two decent WRs the guy has ever played with. He could end up being alright with Marshal and Decker though I doubt he would be able to learn the system in the short 1 month before the regular season. I personally don't want to see this signing though I don't think Flynn is much better than what we currently have and I think we need to let Fitz play out until Geno gets back then it is sink or swim with Geno.

It has nothing to do with the receivers he can't read defenses. He's a different player in McCarthy's system because basically there's always a player like Nelson or Cobb wide open over the top running an out or hitch pattern.

We don't have McCarthy playbook we don't even run WCO.

So many dopey GMs/owners in the NFL.  Flynn's NFL body of work was next to nothing.  Yet, because of that game, they paid him over $25 million.  lol  Geez, nice work if you can get it.

Desperate, not necessarily dopey.  You have to remember there are only about 15 guys that are truly NFL quality caliber long term QB's.  The rest are a bunch of mediocres, one and dones, none and dones, etc....  They get churned and churned year in and year out.  The desperation of GM's to get a reliable long term QB has them all doing crazy things. 

Desperate, not necessarily dopey. You have to remember there are only about 15 guys that are truly NFL quality caliber long term QB's. The rest are a bunch of mediocres, one and dones, none and dones, etc.... They get churned and churned year in and year out. The desperation of GM's to get a reliable long term QB has them all doing crazy things.

In fairness to Seattle their previous qb was Tarvaris Jackdon who totally sucks. They had no idea Wilson was a franchise qb until mid-way through 2012.

In fairness to Seattle their previous qb was Tarvaris Jackdon who totally sucks. They had no idea Wilson was a franchise qb until mid-way through 2012.

They didn't even know they were going to draft Wilson (considering someone else could have taken him) until their 3rd round pick came up. If they were so sold on him there's no way they would have waited until their 3rd round pick and take the chance he wouldn't be there. 

He's a check down guy. I saw Flynn play in person in Seattle his stats look good on the surface but he only throws to whoever is in the flat or drag route. He can't really make progressions which is why Wilson who was an unknown at the time so easily took his job.

I'm not a petty guy and thought he looked terrible last night I'd still go with Petty over Flynn.

So what?  His stats were better than almost anybody we could get.  You don't go with Petty over Flynn to protect Petty.  That is even if you think he is better than Flynn though he probably is not.

I don't think anybody is saying they should sign him to start over Fitzpatrick.  The idea is: 1. They need another QB so that they can have 4 in camp.  Bowles supposedly likes to split practices and it would be better to lessen the load and allow multiple drills at once.  2. They don't want to rush Petty (or Heaps) out there if Fitzpatrick gets hurt.  Those guys are one play from the field and they are both developmental prospects that would probably have their development stunted by playing too soon. 

I would imagine that they sign a vet, cut him before the first game and then bring him back until Geno is ready.  Fitzpatrick is an older guy coming off a significant injury.  They are almost certainly going to bring somebody in, Flynn or Grossman most likely.  Are you still against it?

I am not against them bringing someone in, I know we need someone to back Fitz up until Geno is ready again. I think Thighpen or Grossman would be better options for what we need them for though. I don't by any means want to see Petty hit the field this season outside of pre season games and as for Heaps I am not terribly worried about him I would be shocked if he makes the final roster.

I am not against them bringing someone in, I know we need someone to back Fitz up until Geno is ready again. I think Thighpen or Grossman would be better options for what we need them for though. I don't by any means want to see Petty hit the field this season outside of pre season games and as for Heaps I am not terribly worried about him I would be shocked if he makes the final roster.

Fair enough.  I disagree.  I will take Flynn over Grossman and Thigpen all week long and twice on Sundays.

Fair enough.  I disagree.  I will take Flynn over Grossman and Thigpen all week long and twice on Sundays.

I think if they take Flynn it might be hard to cut him, Grossman and Thigpen you expect them to hold onto just long enough to insure we have two healthy QBs with one of them not named Petty. If they were going to commit to a QB for longer than until Geno is able to play I would prefer they trade for one who I believe has a shot at being a long term answer which I don't believe Flynn has. I feel like Flynn was/is highly over rated due to one or two good games he had while playing for a great team (kind of like what happened with Matt Kassel)

I'd rather go out and get Cousins, Glennon or Mettenberger, or someone like that... and I'll get absolutely roasted for saying it, but if Tebow breaks loose from the Eagles, then sign me up. We saw what he could do with stud WRs in Denver and an OC who can build an offense around him. Dude can win games... and I get it "Tebow can't play QB", but last time I checked neither could most of the QBs we've cycled through here in my lifetime.

I'd rather go out and get Cousins, Glennon or Mettenberger, or someone like that... and I'll get absolutely roasted for saying it, but if Tebow breaks loose from the Eagles, then sign me up. We saw what he could do with stud WRs in Denver and an OC who can build an offense around him. Dude can win games... and I get it "Tebow can't play QB", but last time I checked neither could most of the QBs we've cycled through here in my lifetime.

Agree with you on this one.

whoever we bring in will be just a camp arm and an emergency vet for the few games Geno will not be available.

Your most likely right. Did anyone else get the feeling at the Geno Cold-Cocked Presser that Geno may NEVER play another down for this team? It seemed to me that Bowles was not that upset about losing Geno. Bowles' attitude was like He was pissed at the incident but did not seem to care about Geno being out.

Your most likely right. Did anyone else get the feeling at the Geno Cold-Cocked Presser that Geno may NEVER play another down for this team? It seemed to me that Bowles was not that upset about losing Geno. Bowles' attitude was like He was pissed at the incident but did not seem to care about Geno being out.

if Fitz plays reasonably well I think we may have seen the end of Geno.

if Fitz plays reasonably well I think we may have seen the end of Geno.

I agree once again. I like what Im hearing about Fitz in regards to his relationship with Petty. Maybe He can give him the veteran influence and role model He needs. Especially in this offense where Fitz's experience can only help.

So what? His stats were better than almost anybody we could get. You don't go with Petty over Flynn to protect Petty. That is even if you think he is better than Flynn though he probably is not.

Flynn doesn't know our playbook he's played in west coast offense his entire career. He'd self destruct if we put him out on the field.

I was with you until Tebow, sorry.

No to all of this.  None of those teams would give up those QB's for anything less than a 4th rounder.  They need quality backups behind the likes of RG3 and a pair of rookies and have no incentive to move those guys while they're on their rookie deals.  It is not worth a 2016 mid-rounder (or more) for a 1-year rental. 

I get that people out there think those 3 (or others like them) can be franchise QB's, but its fools gold.  None of those franchise have idiots running their offenses.  Ken Whisenhunt and Lovie Smith clearly aren't believers in Mettenberger or Glennon based on each going all in on Mariota and Winston.  If they don't think those guys are worth much, we shouldn't either.  Meanwhile, Cousins has had plenty of opportunities when RG3 has gone down and hasn't shown much at all.  Politics and draft capital are the biggest reasons why RG3 is still starting, but just because he's become a pretty bad, fragile QB doesn't somehow prop up Cousins as the future savior.  They both aren't very good.

As for Tebow, his reputation as a winner was a product of John Fox's ridiculously good Bronco defense in 2011 as well as the willingness to adapt around the least accurate QB in the NFL.  They knew he was never the answer and were desperate to move on from him even after he "led" them to a playoff victory.  Neither Fox nor Elway believed in Tebow like his legion of followers still do.  Even if we never had him on our roster in 2012 I wouldn't be calling for him now.  The fact that he HAS been here and was a total failure makes him damaged goods even if he somehow has become an accurate thrower in the interim.

Flynn doesn't know our playbook he's played in west coast offense his entire career. He'd self destruct if we put him out on the field.

There are threads considering the likes of Tom Savage.  The guy fumbled almost every drive he played last season.  Petty is not ready.  I don't think you give Flynn enough credit to be a normal sh*tty level QB, Gailey enough credit to call plays that will allow him to do what he is capable of, or enough credence to the fact that we don't give a flying **** if he does self-destruct.  The main reason a guy like this would see the field would be to keep Petty from becoming Vance Joseph or David Carr.

He is the leader of the team.  He can't panic; he has to display a "next man up" attitude.  It would have been inappropriate for him to act upset about losing Geno.  But if Fitz plays well, it is quite possible that he won't be back.

There are threads considering the likes of Tom Savage.  The guy fumbled almost every drive he played last season.  Petty is not ready.  I don't think you give Flynn enough credit to be a normal sh*tty level QB, Gailey enough credit to call plays that will allow him to do what he is capable of, or enough credence to the fact that we don't give a flying **** if he does self-destruct.  The main reason a guy like this would see the field would be to keep Petty from becoming Vance Joseph or David Carr.

Agreed, we pretty much just need a warm body in between Fitz and Petty until Geno gets healthy.  I'd prefer Thigpen since he knows Gailey's system and there wouldn't be a lot of catching up to do.  But the idea isn't to try to find some diamond in the rough off the trash heap.  None of these guys are any good and will suck accordingly if/when they are under center.  But it's better to send them out there to suck than throw yet another raw QB out there too early.

Archived