winston not passing eye test

jgb

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so happy you guys aren't the Jets GM. 

Glennon was a third rounder! He was benched for Josh McCown and then led his team to 1 win in five starts before being benched again! 

You don't then get a third round pick back plus one of the best young defensive players in the game for him. 

I feel like I am taking crazy pills!

But lets be serious, his team was the worst in football and I doubt you watched his games to evaluate his "individual" performance. The guy is no Aaron Rodgers, but at the same time its hard to move the ball when at the beginning of every drive you're either met with a false start, a dropped pass on 1st down, or a run for 1 yard or less. Glennon had one of the worst offensive lines in the league, no running game outside of scat back Bobby Rainey and on 3rd and long their signal caller continuously made Schotty calls, calling plays most of the time didnt go beyond the first down. 

Im not making excuses for him, I'm just stating the fact. This is why I said, if you put a supporting cast around Glennon he can win, Glennon cannot win games with poor teams such as the one he's on. That doesnt mean he's not worth a shot based on what he's presented. The guy was a 3rd rounder, so what. And though they're not the same, Wilson is one of the highest paid players in football, so what that he's a 3rd rounder. Now you'd probably say that he's won this and that, but look at his team. He's around players that do their job. Thats all Glennon needs to be successful. 

It was partially his fault. His 10 INTs in 6 games I am sure put his defense in bad spots. 

lol Dude, Mike Glennon had 10 TDs in 6 games, not 10 INTs, but I know that this error on you wont change your feel on him because your feeling is based on stats from ESPN/NFL and not that you've watched the games and seen how he played in those spots. 

And the actual stats are 10TD's/6INT's. And yes, all 6 of those INT's put his team in a bad spot. I've never seen a good INT. But those 10 TD's did much more for that offense. And also it was really 5 games. That blowout by ATL McCown started and Glennon came in after he was injured and actually put points on the board for the Bucs when McCown couldn't (I watched the games lol). 

But lets be serious, his team was the worst in football and I doubt you watched his games to evaluate his "individual" performance. The guy is no is no Aaron Rodgers, but at the same time its hard to move the ball when at the beginning of every drive you're either met with a false start, a dropped pass on 1st down, or a run for 1 yard or less. Glennon had one of the worst offensive lines in the league, no running game outside of scat back Bobby Rainey and on 3rd and long their signal caller continuously made Schotty calls, calling plays most of the time didnt go beyond the first down. 

Im not making excuses for him, I'm just stating the fact. This is why I said, if you put a supporting cast around Glennon he can win, Glennon cannot win games with poor teams such as the one he's on. That doesnt he's not worth a shot based on what he's presented. The guy was a 3rd rounder, so what. And though they're not the same, Wilson is one of the highest paid players in football, so what that he's a 3rd rounder. Now you'd probably say that he's won this and that, but look at his team. He's around players that do their job. Thats all Glennon needs to be successful. 

Oh so just put a Super Bowl caliber team around him and he'll be fine!

Lemme guess, you like Chad Pennington.

But lets be serious, his team was the worst in football and I doubt you watched his games to evaluate his "individual" performance. The guy is no is no Aaron Rodgers, but at the same time its hard to move the ball when at the beginning of every drive you're either met with a false start, a dropped pass on 1st down, or a run for 1 yard or less. Glennon had one of the worst offensive lines in the league, no running game outside of scat back Bobby Rainey and on 3rd and long their signal caller continuously made Schotty calls, calling plays most of the time didnt go beyond the first down. 

Im not making excuses for him, I'm just stating the fact. This is why I said, if you put a supporting cast around Glennon he can win, Glennon cannot win games with poor teams such as the one he's on. That doesnt he's not worth a shot based on what he's presented. The guy was a 3rd rounder, so what. And though they're not the same, Wilson is one of the highest paid players in football, so what that he's a 3rd rounder. Now you'd probably say that he's won this and that, but look at his team. He's around players that do their job. Thats all Glennon needs to be successful. 

But the question is legit and one any GM on the other end of the phone is going to ask.  If hes starting material, why not fix the rest of the team, draft the best player in the draft and move forward instead of missing out on Williams and starting from scratch at QB.

Does it really matter? He got benched. 

You're stood corrected on your error and now it doesnt matter? lol. 

Klecko, watch the games if you're going to argue whether he's good or not. Being benched doesnt mean anything. We can go for hours talking about all of the trials many HOF QB's had to go through before getting their shot. 

You're stood corrected on your error and now it doesnt matter? lol. 

Klecko, watch the games if you're going to argue whether he's good or not. Being benched doesnt mean anything. We can go for hours talking about all of the trials many HOF QB's had to go through before getting their shot. 

I've watched him. He's not good. 

No he is not. Is he worth a 4th? Now we can talk. He is not worth a 2nd. 

You can't base your decision making on how we've drafted in the 2nd round in the past. That makes no sense. 

It absolutely makes sense.  If REAL STATS (Think Money Ball) show that a 2nd fails out out more than half the time then Glennon is worth a 2nd.   No debate... he is worth it.

What makes him worthy of stating in the NFL?  That the Bucs didn't think so twice by replacing him with McCown and now Jameis?  

The premise is "IF" he is worthy.  Im not saying he is BUT, he has shown better decision making, accuracy and development than others starting.  IF last night was any indication, he is worth a 2nd IMO.  Just play along.   Its the internet.:)

The premise is "IF" he is worthy.  Im not saying he is BUT, he has shown better decision making, accuracy and development than others starting.  IF last night was any indication, he is worth a 2nd IMO.  Just play along.   Its the internet.:)

Again, Im coming from the angle of whoever he's negotiating with.  Hes got to sell a 3rd round pick as a NFL starting QB for that team even though the Bucs twice thought he wasn't starting caliber.  And until he goes somewhere and proves he can do it hes a gamble.  Decision making, accuracy and development are hard to gauge when you only do it well against backups in the preseason.  

Oh so just put a Super Bowl caliber team around him and he'll be fine!

Lemme guess, you like Chad Pennington.

Obviously Wilson is more of a QB than Chad Pennington, and I also believe that if you put Wilson on the Colts he would have been as successful as Luck has been with the Colts. 

With that said, nothing you said above makes Glennon a bad player. Basically all I'm saying is for you to go and watch his games. I've said it here numerously, Glennon isn't a top 10 or elite QB, but he's definitely a top half QB if given a chance. There's nothing wrong with that, especially if being at worst the 16th best QB in the league is still 16 slots better than the worst starting QB which is what we seem to have. 

I've watched him. He's not good. 

you're on a very extreme end of the argument if you feel this way.  

you also posted that for a 4th you'd consider it ... Why if you feel he's not good?

i certainly have only watched clips of him here and there with the occasional game ... getting more serious in my judgements regarding him over the last year or so as his name moves more and more near the top of existing QB's who may be able to improve teams  that have big question marks at the QB position .

from what I've seen he certainly passes the eye-ball test that he should be considered depending on how high the pricetag  goes.

The only problem I see for Tampa trying to make that kind of a trade is how do they sell Glennon as a starting QB, the only way to bring back a 2, when they replaced him twice?  Once with a never was and now with Jameis

Very good point which is why I've said that I believe a 3rd rounder would do it. The Bucs would probably try to push it given that the team attempting to trade will most likely be trying to trade for him to be a starter, but at the same time it doesnt help the Bucs case that they themselves refused to commit to him. 

Getting a 3rd rounder for a back up in order to break even and utilizing that draft pick for another area of need is something that I believe the Bucs would execute. For all of the Glennon talk, I just dont think there's been a team that has offered a 3rd rounder because I just dont believe that the Bucs would have refused that. 

Again, Im coming from the angle of whoever he's negotiating with.  Hes got to sell a 3rd round pick as a NFL starting QB for that team even though the Bucs twice thought he wasn't starting caliber.  And until he goes somewhere and proves he can do it hes a gamble.  Decision making, accuracy and development are hard to gauge when you only do it well against backups in the preseason.  

The Bucs didn't think Vinny Testaverde or Steve Young were starting caliber. Tough sell. 

But the question is legit and one any GM on the other end of the phone is going to ask.  If hes starting material, why not fix the rest of the team, draft the best player in the draft and move forward instead of missing out on Williams and starting from scratch at QB.

These are legit questions in regards to inquiry, but if a GM has looked at Glennon's game they would certainly know that whatever the situation was it wasnt based on his performance because he's been better than McCown and Freeman. Also, if the Bucs didnt change coaching staffs Glennon would have most likely started last year. It was the hiring of Lovie Smith and him wanting to bring in his own QB that caused that situation. Lovie wants a QB attached to him, not a QB that he walked in to. 

It shouldn't take a GM forever to figure out how that situation happened. 

you're on a very extreme end of the argument if you feel this way.  

you also posted that for a 4th you'd consider it ... Why if you feel he's not good?

i certainly have only watched clips of him here and there with the occasional game ... getting more serious in my judgements regarding him over the last year or so as his name moves more and more near the top of existing QB's who may be able to improve teams  that have big question marks at the QB position .

from what I've seen he certainly passes the eye-ball test that he should be considered depending on how high the pricetag  goes.

lol great point. 

The Bucs didn't think Vinny Testaverde or Steve Young were starting caliber. Tough sell. 

Not the same with Vinny.  The Bucs never replaced Vinny twice and let Vinny sit on the bench for two years and then try to trade him.  Plus that he was so good at Miami and was the first pick, a Heisman winner had to add to his value

Young was the first pick in the USFL Supplemental Draft, so got a 2nd and a 4th for him, hard to figure the worth.  I have no idea

These are legit questions in regards to inquiry, but if a GM has looked at Glennon's game they would certainly know that whatever the situation was it wasnt based on his performance because he's been better than McCown and Freeman. Also, if the Bucs didnt change coaching staffs Glennon would have most likely started last year. It was the hiring of Lovie Smith and him wanting to bring in his own QB that caused that situation. Lovie wants a QB attached to him, not a QB that he walked in to. 

It shouldn't take a GM forever to figure out how that situation happened. 

Again, just a question.  Problem with regards to the Jets we don't know exactly how they feel about Geno.  Do they think he can take the next step?  Do they think he sucks and are just stroking him and putting out a good line of shlt for now?  Makes a difference because with the second scenario they know they need a starting QB.  Do they roll the dice with a Glennon or do they hope for Petty but also use another pick next year on another college stud.  There looks like a ripe class to choose from next year, 

Again, just a question.  Problem with regards to the Jets we don't know exactly how they feel about Geno.  Do they think he can take the next step?  Do they think he sucks and are just stroking him and putting out a good line of shlt for now?  Makes a difference because with the second scenario they know they need a starting QB.  Do they roll the dice with a Glennon or do they hope for Petty but also use another pick next year on another college stud.  There looks like a ripe class to choose from next year, 

All of this is valid to ask. They must also figure that a guy like Mike Glennon is a low risk high reward. Even if they trade for him next year he's going to be getting around $700,000 on the year, and he has years worth of NFL experience and success. 

You can trade for Glennon and keep Geno around. And though the FO may have thoughts that Geno could be promising, at the end of the day he's only been good on week 16 the past 2 years against the fins. 

Glennon, playing a fraction of the games have statistics that are comparable to Geno such as TD's, the most important of stats. So you can trade for Glennon and have 3 young QB's that are all affordable, and you're able to evaluate all of them every day. 

All of this is valid to ask. They must also figure that a guy like Mike Glennon is a low risk high reward. Even if they trade for him next year he's going to be getting around $700,000 on the year, and he has years worth of NFL experience and success. 

You can trade for Glennon and keep Geno around. And though the FO may have thoughts that Geno could be promising, at the end of the day he's only been good on week 16 the past 2 years against the fins. 

Glennon, playing a fraction of the games have statistics that are comparable to Geno such as TD's, the most important of stats. So you can trade for Glennon and have 3 young QB's that are all affordable, and you're able to evaluate all of them every day. 

I'm all for more QBs in here, especially one like Glennon who could actually compete.  To me Fitz was brought in here for one reason, to be the backup.  I think you could get the same competence level at backup with Glennon and maybe find a starter.  

I'm all for more QBs in here, especially one like Glennon who could actually compete.  To me Fitz was brought in here for one reason, to be the backup.  I think you could get the same competence level at backup with Glennon and maybe find a starter.  

I agree. That was my issue with the Fitz acquisition. Though I totally understand the trade for Fitz as a backup, I feel that you only make that type of acquisition when you have a solid starter, not when you have Geno Smith. If you bring someone in atleast let it be a guy who can actually compete to be a starter for a team that has one of the worst starting QB's in the league. I dont think Fitz is a better option than Geno and Geno is one of the worst QB's in the league. Not as bad as the NFL likes to make him out to be, but he's still one of the worst. Fitz is a "win you a couple games" QB when your star QB goes down. Having him behind Geno is just not an encouraging situation imo. 

I agree. That was my issue with the Fitz acquisition. Though I totally understand the trade for Fitz as a backup, I feel that you only make that type of acquisition when you have a solid starter, not when you have Geno Smith. If you bring someone in atleast let it be a guy who can actually compete to be a starter for a team that has one of the worst starting QB's in the league. I dont think Fitz is a better option than Geno and Geno is one of the worst QB's in the league. Not as bad as the NFL likes to make him out to be, but he's still one of the worst. Fitz is a "win you a couple games" QB when your star QB goes down. Having him behind Geno is just not a encouraging situation imo. 

yeah, unfortunately there wasn't much available, they kind of had little choice.  Especially given Fitzs relationship with Chan

I agree with this. If Leonard Williams blows up this year, and Sheldon shows some semblance of maturation, then Mo becomes expendable. We could send them Mo for Glennon and a draft pick. 

That being said, I think the plan is for Petty to take over next year, as long as he continues to improve. His play against Atlanta was very encouraging. 

What kind of pick would you think? Before the draft - meaning we'd have gotten picks prior to the 2015 draft, not a year later - the Jets' asking price for Mo was (allegedly) two 1st round picks. Considering that now a team doesn't have to give up picks until next year's draft, on paper that original asking price should only rise.

Or are you thinking of trading him after the season's over? As in franchise tag Mo and then see what we can get? It's interesting, since the Jets should be in a position to tag him and not be stuck with a hot potato if they get no takers (and Mo has to play out 2016 for the Jets under the tag). But the year after that he's gone for nothing if we don't lock him up. He's not getting tagged by the Jets 2 years in a row (think he would then carry the QB franchise tag #). 

Obviously Wilson is more of a QB than Chad Pennington, and I also believe that if you put Wilson on the Colts he would have been as successful as Luck has been with the Colts. 

With that said, nothing you said above makes Glennon a bad player. Basically all I'm saying is for you to go and watch his games. I've said it here numerously, Glennon isn't a top 10 or elite QB, but he's definitely a top half QB if given a chance. There's nothing wrong with that, especially if being at worst the 16th best QB in the league is still 16 slots better than the worst starting QB which is what we seem to have. 

For the hundreth time. I've watched him many times. He is not good.

Archived