Brandon Marshall on Mike&Mike: "Geno did nothing wrong"

nj meadowlands

Rex made the team run sprints, so did Mangini. Who gives a sh*t? If "he's making the team run gassers" in the face of the starting QB getting his jaw broken by a teammate and the star defensive lineman taking police on a high speed chase with guns and weed and a child in the car after getting suspended and us going into week 1 with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty as the options - is supposed to make things all sunshine and rainbows, I don't know what to tell you. Championship teams don't seem to have this perpetual bullsh*t every god damn season and we do. And maybe Jeremy's a little nuts here, but I don't think wind sprints really ******* solve anything in that regard.

Are you saying teams don't have fights?  All teams have stuff like this, every single team, good, bad, your statement here is ridiculously naïve.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ray, my old pal, my only reasons for my view on Geno are on-field performance reasons.

The day Geno Smith doesn't suck, the day he's not the worst QB in the NFL, ON the field, is that day I'll start "supporting" him for whatever thats worth.

Till then, I'm going to root for who I think is the best player who gives us the best chance to win and compete for the offseason.

IMO, that's been, and continues to be, Fitz.

IMO it'll never be Geno.

On field performances of a 22 and 23 yr old with barely NFL talent around him.

I was looking forward to him making a jump this year, his 3rd year, when a lot of players usually find themselves.  He was doing everything we would want him to do as fans this off-season an the first two weeks with the reports that came out.

Tying in his past inconsistent performances, to this IK issue is ridiculous.

Sure, Geno needs to prove himself.

Fitz is limited QB, love his smarts, his guts, he's a gritty player, puts it all out on the field, surely something we all as fans can respect, but we aren't going anywhere with Fitz, we'll win some games, he'll be a good leader, but the true teams will exploit his weaknesses.  We finally have legit NFL talent and speed at WR this year, we need an arm to make this all work, the team with a legit QB can bring this team to the playoffs.  I'm not sure Fitz can. 

Love Fitz as a backup, but I was hoping to see Geno make the jump, I think he has the tools to get us there, but I agree, there are still unknowns, I at least wanted Geno to get that chance, so we can finally see if Geno can make the jump, or turn the team over to Fitz and develop Petty, until we make the next move at the position.

I just think fans are piling on Geno unfairly, no thanks to media agendas, and an unfair lack of patience to let a kid develop.  I mean, any QB we draft is going to go through growing pains.  Petty will go through it too, the problem is, nobody has any patience to let them go through it.  Sorry, two years is not enough for Geno, he deserves at least a 3rd, but probably no more than a 3rd.

I was looking forward to him making a jump this year, his 3rd year, when a lot of players usually find themselves.  He was doing everything we would want him to do as fans this off-season an the first two weeks with the reports that came out.

Fitz is limited QB, love his smarts, his guts, he's a gritty player, puts it all out on the field, surely something we all as fans can respect, but we aren't going anywhere with Fitz, we'll win some games, he'll be a good leader, but the true teams will exploit his weaknesses.  We finally have legit NFL talent and speed at WR this year, we need an arm to make this all work, the team with a legit QB can bring this team to the playoffs.  I'm not sure Fitz can. 

Love Fitz as a backup, but I was hoping to see Geno make the jump, I think he has the tools to get us there, but I agree, there are still unknowns, I at least wanted Geno to get that chance, so we can finally see if Geno can make the jump, or turn the team over to Fitz and develop Petty, until we make the next move at the position.

I just think fans are piling on Geno unfairly, no thanks to media agendas, and an unfair lack of patience to let a kid develop.  I mean, any QB we draft is going to go through growing pains.  Petty will go through it too, the problem is, nobody has any patience to let them go through it.  Sorry, two years is not enough for Geno, he deserves at least a 3rd, but probably no more than a 3rd.

Wow...a well thought out response without attacking another poster. I happen to agree with you all the way.

Geno has unfortunately disappointed with this parking lot toss and there is absolutely reason to believe that the team has turned on him.

That aside.... I want to see him on the field.

he did , IMO, deserve this year to prove himself. this turn of events is embarrassing to the team and The fans.

i read marshall's comments differently. i ask myself, what has geno really ever done right? bad vibes began during the draft process, when it was rumored - rumored - he was on his cell phone during team visits. then he falls in the draft and nearly left. we know the rest. at what point do you just say, someone just doesn't have 'it' to lead a team. and i'm not sure how much talent matters here. maybe the jets are best off trying like heck to develop petty, have geno here this season if fitz goes down, but with no real vision of geno staying beyond this year.

Truth be told, I think this was the plan the entire time. Barring Geno lighting the league on fire, I think it's only of how long is it until he is usurped by Petty or someone else.

The one thing you've never given up is excuse making Ray.

Life isn't perfect, and Geno had enough talent around him to not be the worst QB in the NFL.  All those INT's he threw......had little to do with "the talent around him".

I'm not "piling on" Ray, I doubted Geno from the second we aquired him, and he's done nothing but prove me right about him.  23 or 53, he'll never be a champion, and I don;t need four or six or ten seasons to know it.  

While we'd all love for someone to "make the jump", sad truth is it was never going to be Sanchez (whom I was right about) and it will never be Geno Smith (who, it seems, I am more right by the day about).

Super Bowls aren't built on rainbows and hope.  They are built with QB's who don't suck.

By the way, I don;t recall your "weak arm" fears back when we had broke-wing Pennington.  You were a big supporter of him till the end, weak wing or not.

Odd that of all the QB's you've gone hard for, Fitz, a smart, decent guy, is the one you decide isn't good enough for us.

The one thing you've never given up is excuse making Ray.

Life isn't perfect, and Geno had enough talent around him to not be the worst QB in the NFL.  All those INT's he threw......had little to do with "the talent around him".

I'm not "piling on" Ray, I doubted Geno from the second we aquired him, and he's done nothing but prove me right about him.  23 or 53, he'll never be a champion, and I don;t need four or six or ten seasons to know it.  

While we'd all love for someone to "make the jump", sad truth is it was never going to be Sanchez (whom I was right about) and it will never be Geno Smith (who, it seems, I am more right by the day about).

Super Bowls aren't built on rainbows and hope.  They are built with QB's who don't suck.

By the way, I don;t recall your "weak arm" fears back when we had broke-wing Pennington.  You were a big supporter of him till the end, weak wing or not.

Odd that of all the QB's you've gone hard for, Fitz, a smart, decent guy, is the one you decide isn't good enough for us.

Pennington had an NFL calliber arm, injuries took it away, he was young, a ceiling not yet reached, injuries took it away.

I'll root like hell for Fitz, but Fitz' ceiling is what it is, maybe there is a surprise there, I don't know.  But this also has to be what we have in Geno, and IMO, that book isn't closed yet.

And save it, there were no excuses in my post, just facts and opinions you don't agree with.

Too many pages to read through.  I give Brandon Marshall credit for defending Geno.  While I think he may be lying the team does need to support Geno. 

I used to be a HUGE Geno supporter but lost a lot of respect for him after this whole incident.  I think Fitzpatrick needs to be our starter, however we all know how the NFL is and there is a good chance Fitzpatrick could be injured and then we have to rely on Geno.  No one on here can give me a legit argument to have Petty playing over Geno this season.  Maybe in a year or two but not now.  Since we could end up with Geno again better to give him some support.

Geno probably believed the whole "QB is untouchable" thing and so any punch, no matter how well deserved would be a sucker punch in that context.

Where on earth do people come up with "he gives us the best chance to win" line of BS?  Geno has two solid years in the books where he has been the worst QB in the NFL.  The worst.  Fitz is no Andrew Luck to be sure but by any objective measure he has to be better than Geno.

Fellaters gonna fellate I guess.

Fitz is a good solid QB, sure he's not an elite top five guy but he is capable of top 10 since he has already posted 90 + QB ratings twice... If our Defense is anything like its being touted, we can easily control the ball on offense and do very well in the redzone with some nice big targets at the WR position . That's = wins and quite honestly Geno Smith going down was probably the best thing that could have happened to this team since the only thing he's posted has been pure suck for 2 years

Fitz is a good solid QB, sure he's not an elite top five guy but he is capable of top 10 since he has already posted 90 + QB ratings twice... If our Defense is anything like its being touted, we can easily control the ball on offense and do very well in the redzone with some nice big targets at the WR position . That's = wins and quite honestly Geno Smith going down was probably the best thing that could have happened to this team since the only thing he's posted has been pure suck for 2 years

If Fitz is such a good QB why has he never won more than 6 games in a year ?

Fitz sucks as does Geno . I'm tired of dudes trying sell us on 10 yr career loser like we don't know who he is . Like we didn't see the countless poor games he had for buffalo, like we didn't see the bills start 5-0 with him and proceed to miss the playoffs because he Couldnt stop turning ball over..

Suck vs suck is what we have at QB ..

The logic That he is Capable of being a top 10 QB must be a joke ..

If Fitz is such a good QB why has he never won more than 6 games in a year ?

Fitz sucks as does Geno . I'm tired of dudes trying sell us on 10 yr career loser like we don't know who he is . Like we didn't see the countless poor games he had for buffalo, like we didn't see the bills start 5-0 with him and proceed to miss the playoffs because he Couldnt stop turning ball over..

Suck vs suck is what we have at QB ..

The logic That he is Capable of being a top 10 QB must be a joke ..

For what it's worth (and it's absolutely worth something to the Jets in 2015) Fitz has earned his journeyman QB status.

Fitz is capable of getting hot and winning a competitive game or two with his play. He is also, statistically, a proven mid-tier QB. 

In two years Geno has fallen woefully short on both comparisons. And in 3 years running the only thing he's proven to be is an embarrassment.  

For what it's worth (and it's absolutely worth something to the Jets in 2015) Fitz has earned his journeyman QB status.

Fitz is capable of getting hot and winning a competitive game or two with his play. He is also, statistically, a proven mid-tier QB. 

In two years Geno has fallen woefully short on both comparisons. And in 3 years running the only thing he's proven to be is an embarrassment.  

/Final word pretty much.  End thread

How can you compare the two?  Fitz is a what, an 11 year vet?  Ever looked at his stats over his first 5 years?   Their atrocious and worse than Geno's. 

I dont see how you can compare the 2 when they're at completely different place in their career.  One is 24, the other is 32.  And Geno in his short, rather terrible career still has some feathers in his cap that Fitz doesnt in his long terrible 11 year career.

The real shame is that they both suck something awful and it's a real sh*tty situation to be in, which pretty much means the season is already over and it hasnt even started.

How can you compare the two?  Fitz is a what, an 11 year vet?  Ever looked at his stats over his first 5 years?   Their atrocious and worse than Geno's. 

I dont see how you can compare the 2 when they're at completely different place in their career.  One is 24, the other is 32.  And Geno in his short, rather terrible career still has some feathers in his cap that Fitz doesnt in his long terrible 11 year career.

The real shame is that they both suck something awful and it's a real sh*tty situation to be in, which pretty much means the season is already over and it hasnt even started.

post-32842-ron-swanson-yep-gif-yes-yup-f

I'll root like hell for Fitz. 

But this also has to be what we have in Geno, and IMO, that book isn't closed yet.

I have no doubt on that first point.

We can agree to disagree on that second one.  I've seen nothing from Geno Smith to-date that would lead me to opine that he will transform from immature and worst-in-NFL to a potential champion QB.

More time is sometimes just more time, and a QB is not a fine wine, a smelly gym sock does not get better with age.

No doubt this one is my favorite.  The way he's holding his hands, coupled with the "mommy I'm scared" face, is priceless.  And you can just picture Giselle thinking WTF.

tom%2Bbrady%2Bwater%2Bslide.jpg

Agreed. I see your "Giddy Brady On A Slide" and raise you a "Topless Brady Cradling A Football".

233d80847f1dbe7e5bbafcd1df0da6bd.jpg

I believe the only comparison relevant is where they're both at today in their ability to QB the Jets.

Before Fitz got knocked out last year he played 3/4 of a season and was having a season that Geno could only dream of. 

It wasn't pro-bowl caliber but it put Fitz smack dab in the middle of the QB pack statistically and probably a little higher in reality.

So who helps us today? Would Geno have those numbers this season? "Geno was having a good camp"  - that and 2 bucks gets you a Grande at Starbucks.

There's no reason to believe that Fitzpatrick will digress due to the injury or because he's another year older.

A lot of unknowns but one reality is Fitz is a top 1% Wonderlic and Smith is a mouth breather - before and after the haymaker.

Who's got a better chance of adapting to a new OC, coach, and receiving corps.   

I believe the only comparison relevant is where they're both at today in their ability to QB the Jets.

Before Fitz got knocked out last year he played 3/4 of a season and was having a season that Geno could only dream of. 

It wasn't pro-bowl caliber but it put Fitz smack dab in the middle of the QB pack statistically and probably a little higher in reality.

So who helps us today? Would Geno have those numbers this season? "Geno was having a good camp"  - that and 2 bucks gets you a Grande at Starbucks.

There's no reason to believe that Fitzpatrick will digress due to the injury or because he's another year older.

A lot of unknowns but one reality is Fitz is a top 1% Wonderlic and Smith is a mouth breather - before and after the haymaker.

Ding ding ding - we have a winner!

Neither guy is or is going to be a top 10 QB that carries the franchise for the next decade.

So then a reasonable next question is who's play will give us the best chance to win in 2015?

The only reasonable answer to this is Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick's anomaly of a game is the only reason why he was smack dab in the middle of the pack.  Prior to that 6 TD game, he was 11-8 TD vs. INT's...playing in the worst division in Football. 

So you want to compare now?  Fine.  It's splitting hairs between Geno and Fitz.  They both suck, bad.  Geno won 8 games his rookie year with one of the worst teams ever assembled and improved last year. Fitzpatrick has never won 8 games in an 11 year career.  Who cares if he has slightly better stats 10 years in?  Who knows who actually gives the Jets the better chance to win right now.  Neither are good enough. Period. 

But FWIW, the coaching staff believed that player to be Geno Smith prior to getting his jaw broke.

Neither guy is or is going to be a top 10 QB that carries the franchise for the next decade.

Fitz sure isn't and the multiple decimal place percentage shot that Geno would be isn't an attractive bet for most people.

Fitzpatrick's anomaly of a game is the only reason why he was smack dab in the middle of the pack.  Prior to that 6 TD game, he was 11-8 TD vs. INT's...playing in the worst division in Football. 

So you want to compare now? 

Yeah - I'll compare

The Titans sucked but if you pull out the 6 TD's Fitzpatrick hung on them and cut it to the >2/game they gave up the rest of the season - their D backfield was top ten in TD's given up.

There's another anomaly for you.

Saying Fitz just threw the ball up and the Titans D schwansed it into 6 TD's surrendered doesn't work in the math or real world either.

I'm not saying he's good or anyone to build anything around.

I do however think he can get us to respectability and may be good enough to hang out and help train the new QB we better have going into next season. 

Fitzpatrick's anomaly of a game is the only reason why he was smack dab in the middle of the pack.  Prior to that 6 TD game, he was 11-8 TD vs. INT's 

This qualifier is always confusing to me when you bring it up. Why does his best game on the year not count?

If we throw those results out should we also throw out his worst game of the year against the Giants, the anomaly on the other end?

Yeah - I'll compare

The Titans sucked but if you pull out the 6 TD's Fitzpatrick hung on them and cut it to the >2/game they gave up the rest of the season - their D backfield was top ten in TD's given up.

There's another anomaly for you.

Saying Fitz just threw the ball up and the Titans D schwansed it into 6 TD's surrendered doesn't work in the math or real world either.

I'm not saying he's good or anyone to build anything around.

I do however think he can get us to respectability and may be good enough to hang out and help train the new QB we better have going into next season. 

Fair.  But he didnt throw for 300 yards or 3 TD's all season long and then, bam!... 350 w/ 6 TD's.  It was a freak game.  One he'll never repeat again.  

I dont think the difference between the 2 is significant right now.  At all.  It's splitting hairs.  The only difference is, we know what we know about Fitz.  There is still some hope for Geno.

It's a poop sandwich vs. a sh*t cheesesteak. 

This qualifier is always confusing to me when you bring it up. Why does his best game on the year not count?

If we throw those results out should we also throw out his worst game of the year against the Giants, the anomaly on the other end?

I'm not throwing it away but it directly impacted a very average season that everyone is touting to be so great.  He wasnt.  He sucked.  Like usual.  He just had a crazy game that skewed his numbers in a major way.  So when people state his stats as some measuring stick vs. Geno, I'm simply reminding them outside of one game, he was his normal miserable self. 

He just had a crazy game that skewed his numbers in a major way.  So when people state his stats as some measuring stick vs. Geno, I'm simply reminding them outside of one game, he was his normal miserable self.

By this logic I hope you are also removing Geno's final game last year against the dolphins when you are evaluating him as that was an anomaly as well.

By this logic I hope you are also removing Geno's final game last year against the dolphins when you are evaluating him as that was an anomaly as well.

Sure.  That's fine...but nobody is using Geno's stats as reason to why he's better than Fitz or deserves the job like people do with Fitz.

I just think its not apples to apples to compare the stats of an 11 year veteran throwing to Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins and handing off to Arian Foster with a OC guru as a Head Coach vs. Geno playing in the worst offense in the league with Rex Ryan as his Head Coach in his 2nd year.

As a New Yorker turned San Diegan I need to comment on the missed meeting. It is possible that Geno just blew it off but I doubt it. When you are used to NY time it can be pretty confusing especially if you are inconsistent about changing your watch. or with a cell phone that changes automatically.  It can be quite easy to "double" adjust for the time difference if you do it quickly. You look down at your phone, it says 6pm, (which is correct) you think "oh, it's three hours earlier so it's 3" and then go do something else. I did it myself a few times when I first moved out here. It is quite possible it was an honest mistake by Geno having experienced it myself. Just a possibility. Geno has issues but working hard has never seemed to be one. Remember he was even forced once to get away from football a while by the coaching staff.

just had an Ah-ha moment reading this.  If he was at the movies he would obviously know what time the movie started, LOCAL TIME.

Honestly, I am not worried, more excited to see what Fitzmagic can do with our team.  My worry is if he gets hurt, no viable back up until Geno recovers.

So who helps us today? Would Geno have those numbers this season? "Geno was having a good camp" - that and 2 bucks gets you a Grande at Starbucks.

Well as far today ability go Geno was our performing Fitz up too getting hurt .

Bowles didn't even sound excited today pretty much saying Fitz is the QB by default

Rex Ryan told fans to shut the f up at halftime of the new England game and most fans here swing from his balls. 

I don't think I ever watched this.  Hilarious!  Also, there's a (hilarious) comment in the video saying "Sadly, the country has gone the way of the vagina".

Lmaoo this gonna piss a few people off .. No commitment for Fitz.

@CLoprestiWFAN Francesa asks Bowles if he views Geno differently now: "No, I still feel the same way about him. He's very talented." #NYJ

@CLoprestiWFAN I find it interesting the qualifier for the QB question; ie: Petty's not ready and Geno's hurt so Ryans our QB.

@yankey4eva That's pretty much where they're at. That's why Fitz is here...to step in.

@CLoprestiWFAN Maccagnan on Geno incident and waiving IK: "Our actions kind of indicate how we felt about things." #NYJ

@CLoprestiWFAN Petty needs the preseason reps. Bowles keeps saying he's not gonna learn holding a clipboard.

First of all, his first 5 years was a back up - learning the game, only 3 games started in first 3 seasons.

These years you consider ammo against Fitz most likely helped him become a better QB, where he had (speaking of statistics) statistical success Geno can only dream of at this point. Geno's career would be helped greatly in the long run by being on the bench - and on another team for that matter.

Archived